Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

nofather posted:

You can just google superman saiyan, though I get that leads to a lot of Superman vs Goku results. Throw in new 52. Some of the writers and artists had some heavy anime influences, with characters like H'el and Baka.

In the next thrilling issue of Superman, Clark goes to HFIL!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Naritively speaking, we never NEEDED any reboots. It could be exactly the same universe we had from 1939, but the world gets bored and needs publicity drawing gimmicks and events every 5-10 years.
We got good and bad runs like any ol' time in comics history. Probably a better ratio of good than we got from, say, Final Crisis to the N52. Maybe they needed the shake-up. Maybe they didn't. It's now years later and we're in a different era, so, eh.

e: Okay. Admittedly you may have deeper feelings for discarded characters than me. I am being dismissive of that, but if the N52's done anything it's distracted from how dire most of the stuff was in the years leading up to it.

A lot of very good things died with the New 52 and are still gone. When the entire Superman franchise is revolving around how garbage Superman has been and hey look guys it's good Superman now I think that says more than enough. This entire second wind DC has gotten was literally ushered in by Wally West going "Well all this sucks, oh hey look that's better!" for 60 pages. The new 52 debuted with so many garbage books that no one could read them all to criticize them. They were tossing out so many books to try to eek out as much #1 relaunch value as they could and it showed.

It's not just discarded characters, it's discarded character development. They got rid of a ton of great characters that I like, but most of the ones they kept around had to retread old stories over and over again, except worse this time. The only exceptions being the high and mighty Batman and Green Lantern -- and even then only to a degree.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 2, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Two Tone Shoes posted:

how garbage (N52) Superman has been

You just brought the wrath of Jason Todd and anime boobs down upon yourself.
RIP.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mister Miracle is taking a month hiatus between issues 6 and 7 since Mitch Gerard had a child. In lieu of a new issue, they're releasing a "director's cut" issue with a new 8-page story with art by Mike Norton.

https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/948215159037874176

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I guess Bendy's officially on the job today.
https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/948374196773535744

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Roth posted:

I don't think any of the really good series that came out during it even needed a reboot in the first place. Unless I'm missing an obvious one?

Zero Year literally would not have happened in a continuity where Year One was still The Batman Canon, and you can argue DCYou only happened because of the failure of N52 as a cohesive canon meaning we probably would've never gotten Omega Men.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Got the Fourth World omnibus today. It's my first DC omnibus, and frankly I'm awed. This book is way bigger than I'm used to, and carrying it around all day reminds me why I tend to prefer regular sized trades. Looking forward to delving into this tome though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DCYou happened cause they got great press off of Batgirl's fresh design and said "All y'all do what they did!"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wow, he's lost a ton of weight! Good on him!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Didn't he like almost die?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

His face looks like Darth Sidious

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Teenage Fansub posted:

DCYou happened cause they got great press off of Batgirl's fresh design and said "All y'all do what they did!"

I think the argument can clearly be made that DCYou as an initiative would never have even been discussed if N52 was actually successful at its stated goal, which was as a fresh start for new comic book readers. Like, if we imagined some fantasy world where N52 was the creative and especially the commercial smash DC thought it would be, then there never would've been a situation where folks could come in and be (ostensibly) super loose with the canon, which is how we got a situation where Omega Men was what it was (which was loving incredible).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ImpAtom posted:

Didn't he like almost die?

Yes but I'd heard he'd lost weight well before that happened.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Am I crazy or does he kind of look like Grant Morrison now

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

more like mike from breaking bad

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

Nah, that's what I saw too

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Come on, it's the DC thread. He looks like Lex Luthor without Lexcorp. I think the Lex vibe was something Morrison was going for anyhow.

Is it racist to ask why shark-people don't live in the ocean? Nightwing has like three or four fish and cetacean people and they seem to prefer Bludhaven of all places to the ocean.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

nofather posted:

Come on, it's the DC thread. He looks like Lex Luthor without Lexcorp. I think the Lex vibe was something Morrison was going for anyhow.

Is it racist to ask why shark-people don't live in the ocean? Nightwing has like three or four fish and cetacean people and they seem to prefer Bludhaven of all places to the ocean.

They all have chums there.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

nofather posted:

C'mon, man. Morrison is Brainiac, or Captain Cold.

Check out the original Alex Ross art for Justice, and the New Frontier movie respectively.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Open Marriage Night posted:

C'mon, man. Morrison is Brainiac, or Captain Cold.

Check out the original Alex Ross art for Justice, and the New Frontier movie respectively.

I could see Captain Cold, but did he ever write him?

Regarding White Knight. Does anyone feel that Fries being associated with Nazis is both a surprise and long overdue?'

nofather fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 3, 2018

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Zero Year literally would not have happened in a continuity where Year One was still The Batman Canon, and you can argue DCYou only happened because of the failure of N52 as a cohesive canon meaning we probably would've never gotten Omega Men.

Or Prez!!!! Man we need a Prez book now more than ever.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

nofather posted:

Regarding White Knight. Does anyone feel that Fries being associated with Nazis is both a surprise and long overdue?'

Lmao what? and no

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Blockhouse posted:

"I am not all bald men." - Brian Michael Bendis

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

purple death ray posted:

They all have chums there.

That's good.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lightning Lord posted:

"I am not all bald men." - Brian Michael Bendis

Reminds me of the time that I mistook Busiek for Rucka. My shame of bald-man blindness.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Reminds me of the time that I mistook Busiek for Rucka. My shame of bald-man blindness.

Busiek is like a doddering old grandpa and Rucka is uh, not that. How'd you make that mistake?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

nofather posted:

No the character should be basically untouchable from his Batman Animated Series counterpart.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I dunno much about freeze other than his animated eps, what about him makes him long overdue for Nazism

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
White Knight loving sucks and feels like a first year college student's woke fanfiction so deciding to inexplicably make a villain a Nazi checks out

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Busiek is like a doddering old grandpa and Rucka is uh, not that. How'd you make that mistake?

All bald men look the same to me!!!!!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

site posted:

I dunno much about freeze other than his animated eps, what about him makes him long overdue for Nazism

He's Vaguely European, bald, white, and a scientist really into cryogenics.

That's literally it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

nofather posted:

Maybe for a line in Final Crisis? Captain Cold in the New Frontier cartoon was modeled after him.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

site posted:

The cold, efficient ruthlessness. Plus the outfit. He's like a Mignola villain.

In White Knight. Baddies have taken info from GCPD records, including some about Mr. Freeze's past, which is tied in with Nazis and the Waynes. I expect they'll be using this to go public and attempt to ruin or blackmail Wayne. Though it says his father (Baron von Fries) was an SS officer, and he seems to be a kid, so it's not like he's a veteran or anything. The population of Gotham seems highly reactionary in this series so they probably will go overboard before it's found that Fries' father turned against Hitler and helped win the war or something.

Man the last page of Justice League is hot.

And thanks, I didn't know that about New Frontier.

nofather fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 4, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Supersons of Tomorrow is... as lackluster as I expected. Really feels like this whole thing was to build up a new villain that I can't really care about. It just feels like a panicked kid running around going "the future is awful! *shoots superman* I'm helping!" Actually, I wish he was more like that because that would be funny.

I am probably the only one reading Black Lightning, but I really can't get its message. Like, it's touching on a lot of politics, but it all runs together oddly. Like, it's trying to portray too many sides, even if I partially do agree with the idea that class and race division is, ultimately, a construct of the rich to breed division, maintain power, and grow their wealth. Oh, actually, now I do get its message. Took writing out this sentence to make it come together. Also, I think making a lizard person one of the bad guys in this rich cabal either a funny joke...or signs of the author's questionable mental stake.

They better not be killing off Emi!

Batman was good this week. Nothing amazing, but an interesting story. It's a decent one-shot, but the twist is OBVIOUS. Though, the reasoning and final line works well.

Batman: White Knight has fixed itself. I think it realized that it made a hiccup with the Mad Hatter and has corrected itself. It's still "superheroes are dumb" the comic, but it's a fun thought experiment.

I liked Batman And Signal and will see the miniseries to complete. Have no Earthly idea why "from the page of METAL" are on the cover. Signal predates Metal and nothing in ties in to Metal. That said, I finally get what Signal is about : he's the Batman of the Daytime. The guy who stops the day crimes of Gotham. Also, Gotham looks less...gothic during the day. It looks like, well, metropolis during the day. Really fits in with the whole "Metropolis is New York during the day, Gotham is New York at night."

Green Lanterns feels like I skipped an issue. I literally feel like an issue was supposed to exist between these two. It felt so much like a Part 3 that I had to check to twice that it was part 2. Maybe my memory just hazy on what happened in part 1.

Justice League was okay, but it is giving me Marvel: Civil War flashbacks and that's not a good thing.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Any reason i need to read Superman/Action with Afterbirth?

I can't do it.

That's where i'm up to with this https://comicbookreadingorders.com/dc/dc-rebirth-reading-order-part-1/

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

What do you mean by Afterbirth?

I have no idea what that list is trying to do, but Superman is usually great (that is other than a few fill-in issues from other writers and a couple of naff crossovers.)
You don't need to regularly read Action with it.

Edit: If that list is trying to tell you to read everything they publish, forget about it. Just pick a series and go in trade order. You rarely need to know what else is going on with the other comics. Even 'Batman' and 'Detective Comics' don't really care what the other book is doing.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 4, 2018

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Why are you following that insanely loving stupid reading list.

Rebirth isn't some grand overall story,don't read it as one for catchup, just read the number ones you want (or all of them, whatever),and continue with the ones you find interesting, only stopping for crossovers if you want to budget them.

Trying to read every Rebirth comic as part of some huge reading list will only complicate and confuse. I would at least break everything up so you like, read all the Batbooks by themselves, all the Green Lanterns books by themselves, all the Superman books by themselves, all the teamups by themselves.but seriously just read the lines you like in trade or issue order, crossover events like The Button, monster men, et cetera excepted.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm on holiday and i work in Bumfuq Australia, i got time.

I'll read family Supes, if its any good.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just read the Lois and Clark miniseries, then Superman and eventually Super-Sons. Action Comics and Justice League (in case you might go there for more Superman) stink.

And do the recent issues of Batman where L+C are going on a double date with Batman and Catwoman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

The Modern Leper posted:

The Batman collections skip over Night of the Monster Men, and I think that's a separate book you can buy.

Green Arrow feels like one of those things that should be right up my alley, and I liked the Lemire (?) run a little while back. Sale's on til Jan 4, I think, so I'll check those out.

I ended up with Superman, Green Arrow, and Aquaman. I figure there will be some reason in the next few months to justify a sale that captures Detective Comics. Thanks again for the recommendations.