Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I like in-game gwent more than the stand alone version. It’s rad that they turned it into a full game, but it isn’t nearly as fun as the original sidegame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

tao of lmao posted:

I like in-game gwent more than the stand alone version. It’s rad that they turned it into a full game, but it isn’t nearly as fun as the original sidegame.

This seems to be the general consensus, more or less.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
yeah so i finished the game and started blood and wine

"whoa this place looks totally different"

"holy poo poo this giant"

*zooms out on the new map*

"holy gently caress"

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

yeah so i finished the game and started blood and wine

"whoa this place looks totally different"

"holy poo poo this giant"

*zooms out on the new map*

"holy gently caress"

Jealous

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah every time someone experiences something for the first time in W3 I get super envious. I wish i could wipe my memory and play it all again for the first time.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
also right off the bat im impressed at how better the cutscenes are in blood and wine over the vanilla game

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Blood and wine is CD projekt at the height of their power. I love how they bring back all the lovely annoying enemies from witcher 1 and make them fun to fight

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Blood and Wine has more unique content than a lot of $60 games, it’s unbelievable that CDR made it as a $20 DLC.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I started this game months ago and never got far, seriously considering giving it another go now that Kuni II has been delayed. It'll either be this or one of the handful of PS2 remakes I've yet to start

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I started this game months ago and never got far, seriously considering giving it another go now that Kuni II has been delayed. It'll either be this or one of the handful of PS2 remakes I've yet to start

don't pass judgement on the game until you leave white orchard and get to velen.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

You should dude its pretty good and worth trying. Would say if youre not into it by the completion of the Bloody Baron questline to abandon it

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

vaginal facsimile posted:

You should dude its pretty good and worth trying. Would say if youre not into it by the completion of the Bloody Baron questline to abandon it

good advice

I haven't started my next playthrough but I'm looking forward to because after I beat the game + HoS + B&W I realized that I had never installed any of the free DLC packs. There's a bunch of stuff I missed

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
wait there's free dlc packs as well?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

its quite good .. it has western rpg style flaws and mechanics but its still much better than every other western rpg

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

There's a free and substantial gameplay tweak mod by one of the development team members, if that's what he's referring to

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005

vaginal facsimile posted:

This was the point at which I went from "better than your average rpg with lame combat" to "holy poo poo its 2 am and I am still glued to the screen. What happens next?!?!"

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Yeah, there are some DLC packs that feature contracts (fairly quick standalone ones, but I remember them being good) as well as some costumes for the other main characters. I'd definitely recommend downloading the contract packs for your second playthrough

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

the free dlc also has the elven rebel haircut

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
The cutscene at the start of Blood and Wine where the knight is charging a windmill on horseback, like "haha, he thinks it's a giant, like Don Quixote," and then a literal giant bursts through the wall of the windmill with a peacock-feathered wine barrel as a helmet and swinging the millstone like a hammer was an unbeatable moment in Gaming. Just... just... *kisses fingers*

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Everything about B&W is pretty well thought out. Like it doesn't even have as good of a Main Quest as HoS IMO (it's good, just HoS's is better), but it takes all the stuff from the base game and both celebrates and laughs at it in a really satisfying way to close out 100+ hours of Witcher 3. The horse quest, the one where you negotiate for potatoes, the testicles quest, the Gwent Dwarves, the postgame quest that sums up your choices...

Plus the overworld music still gets stuck in my head whenever I think of a similar setting anymore, and it's been at least six months since I played B&W. That and the Gwent music really stand out.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

My favorite part of B&W is how the people don’t all loving hate your guts. The majority of the populace is happy to have Geralt’s help. Combine that with the beautiful, untouched-by-brutal-war scenery, and it’s just a wonderful victory lap of an expansion.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

tao of lmao posted:

My favorite part of B&W is how the people don’t all loving hate your guts. The majority of the populace is happy to have Geralt’s help. Combine that with the beautiful, untouched-by-brutal-war scenery, and it’s just a wonderful victory lap of an expansion.

Yeah the different tone is a really nice contrast, since it’s fun to drop Geralt into a more classic fantasy setting with chivalrous knights in shining armor

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

Everything about B&W is pretty well thought out. Like it doesn't even have as good of a Main Quest as HoS IMO (it's good, just HoS's is better), but it takes all the stuff from the base game and both celebrates and laughs at it in a really satisfying way to close out 100+ hours of Witcher 3. The horse quest, the one where you negotiate for potatoes, the testicles quest, the Gwent Dwarves, the postgame quest that sums up your choices...

Plus the overworld music still gets stuck in my head whenever I think of a similar setting anymore, and it's been at least six months since I played B&W. That and the Gwent music really stand out.

I still need to beat B&W, I didn't get very far before other things took over

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
oh hey b&w has an entirely new mutation mechanic i did not see that coming

how the gently caress was this only $19.99

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I wish B&W had added the dies to the base game instead of just to Touissant. My brother is playing through it now and I keep wanting to make the Griffin Armor red.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

oh hey b&w has an entirely new mutation mechanic i did not see that coming
Freezing Aard is hilarious in bandit camps.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Palpek posted:

Freezing Aard is hilarious in bandit camps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcCmkRBVr1s&t=22s

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
is there anything in the dlc as funny as geralt and his buddies getting gently caress drunk

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i got this game on thanksgiving sale and have previously only played the witcher 1 for a few hours. thanks to this thread im hyped for jumping into this goodness

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Neurosis posted:

is there anything in the dlc as funny as geralt and his buddies getting gently caress drunk

The situation involved with the whole "retrieve the statues testicles" quest is pretty good.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Neurosis posted:

Possessed Geralt hitting on Shani at a wedding was pretty great. Pretty much everything involving that wedding is excellent.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah the wedding was one of my favorite parts of the whole game. Especially if you play Possessed Geralt as extremely suave and smooth and Regular Geralt as the most unromantic clod on the planet.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
cool. i've finally managed to get my various mods working nicely together (ghost mode, then a bunch of quality of life stuff like getting rid of carry weight and item degradation and fall damage) so time for another play through, with the dlc this time

between tw3, dark souls 3 and prey the last few years have been very sick years for rpgs

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

tao of lmao posted:

Possessed Geralt hitting on Shani at a wedding was pretty great. Pretty much everything involving that wedding is excellent.

Possessed Geralt’s walking animation alone made the wedding great

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

just finished hearts of stone. good poo poo. blood and wine looks gorgeous

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Neurosis posted:

In HoS there's a dwarf threatening to blow himself up that you can recruit to your heist crew. I recommend saving before talking to him and exploring all the different conversation routes because it's hilarious.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm near the end of B&W, thinking about doing another play through and actually playing gwent.

Should I do NG+ or just start a second game.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I only played a few hours of this when it came out, I think I’m gonna dive back in soon. I have the complete edition, how does the DLC tie into the main story?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Pablo Gigante posted:

I only played a few hours of this when it came out, I think I’m gonna dive back in soon. I have the complete edition, how does the DLC tie into the main story?

youre given quests that initiate the new DLCs from the getgo (recommended that you do those after you beat the main game though), but theyre completely isolated from the main game. one takes place in a new added chunk of land, and the other teleports you to a completely different continent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Pablo Gigante posted:

First DLC opens up a small area on the east of the main map and the central quest chain focuses on a minor character from the main story and some new/returning characters from older games.

The second DLC is an old-school expansion on its own self-contained map with no real relation to the main plot, but the change in tone and some of the tongue-in-cheek moments mean its best played when you’re mostly wrapping up the main story

• Locked thread