Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
If they ever do an Obi-Wan prequel film, I hope it's about him and Leia's parents, because I want to see the only competent child-rearers in the galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Edit: Whoops meant this for the spoiler thread

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Angry Salami posted:

If they ever do an Obi-Wan prequel film, I hope it's about him and Leia's parents, because I want to see the only competent child-rearers in the galaxy.

Owen and Beru did a pretty good job, all things considered.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Gonz posted:

Orrrrrrr....he killed Han, and still has cold feet about being an rear end in a top hat babby Sith.

Because every male in the Skywalker family is a big ol' babby who constantly questions their own decisions. It's genetic, really.

Leia is the only one who does poo poo and doesn't wreck herself with anxiety about whether or not it was the right choice. When Luke showed up and told her Kylo was beyond saving, she was like "Yeah, I know. Oh well. I blew it." She doesn't become paralyzed by a panic attack over her poor parenting skills and get everyone on Crait killed over it.

She sounds like a psychpath.

"Your only child is a monster"
"lol duh whatever"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

sassassin posted:

"lol duh whatever"

She probably is! The Skywalker family as a whole has been terrible for the entire galaxy. Maybe she should’ve let that bloodline peter out. She and Han could’ve adopted a kid.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Goffer posted:

Kylo killing Han Solo is meant to complete his training, allowing Kylo to shed his humanity and to fully embrace his dark side. Why then did he hesitate before killing his mother? Why did he do what he did in the Throne room? Because he did not kill Han, and therefore he is not fully evil, he never took that final step.

he hesitated to kill his mother because he killed his father, that's what luke means about han always being with him. In striking him down he has made Han more powerful than he could possibly imagine. And he killed snoke because he was done with him that was his final step he ascended from apprentice to master. And luke denying him revenge diminishes that, luke has made him forever the apprentice unable to best his master.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I do not say these fans actually like the prequels and pretend not to, or even that they would like them if they gave them a new fresh chance. They probably wouldn't, but who cares. I'm much more interested, in general, in hearing from people who like things than people who don't like things, and even more from people who have interesting things to say regardless.

Yeah, this is kind of where I'm at. I was bored and annoyed by the Prequel Trilogy when I saw it in theaters but mostly forgot about it. Then, like everyone else, I saw the original Mr. Plinkett review of TPM and laughed my rear end off and repeated his talking points as if it was just settled fact. But it's been YEARS and this critical reevaluation of the Prequels is fascinating if nothing else. People are finding things to like and things to ponder in a work that's been dismissed as useless trash and I think that's laudable and worth exploring. I personally don't need to revisit the Prequels and don't need to update my own distaste for them, but I genuinely love hearing other readings of them.

"Thing bad" is boring commentary now. Youtube is 90% videos of nerds shouting "Thing bad!" into a webcam. "Thing interesting? Here's how!" is a much more worthwhile conversation.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

sassassin posted:

"lol duh whatever"

"We have everyone we need."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

"We have everyone we need."

Out of context that seems bad but in the scene I thought it was all right. She does talk about loss in other parts of the movie.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Lucas as an individual is irrelevant. Preoccupation with his identity (e.g. “he’s old!”) is actually a core component of the liberal prequel-hate ideology.

I've never heard anyone say the prequels are bad because he's old, although they have said the prequels are bad because he's divorced, which is correct.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'd like to hear you "divorcees make bad movies" theory.

I'll assume for your sake that the prequels are bad.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Speaking of droids as slaves though, does everyone remember in Episode II when Obi-Wan says "If droids could think, there would be none of us here would there?" That's an actual line and I couldn't believe it when someone told me. It's so hosed up

euphronius posted:

I'd like to hear you "divorcees make bad movies" theory.

I'll assume for your sake that the prequels are bad.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I seem to recall this thread discussed the editing of A New Hope sometime in the last two weeks. You may find it interesting.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

I seem to recall this thread discussed the editing of A New Hope sometime in the last two weeks. You may find it interesting.

Can you put the discussion into the form of a meme?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean besides the meme what is your argument?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

the Marcia meme is false and proven wrong

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

euphronius posted:

I mean besides the meme what is your argument?

What do you mean "besides the meme"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lol. What a world we live in.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jeb you were such a good poster in the Star trek thread what happened to you

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Jeb you were such a good poster in the Star trek thread what happened to you

I'm just having fun

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Fools, Marcia is the reason the prequels are bad, but it wasn't her lack of editing skills. Clearly, she was the love of his life and the divorce broke him emotionally and creatively.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
What about the fake wife he had in Beverly Hills Cop 3? How responsible is she?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Borat voice his wife

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Marcia Lucas didn’t add Jedi rocks to ROTJ

Makes u thenk

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
I watched like two (mostly positive) videos about TLJ on YouTube and now my recommendations are completely filled with THE LAST JEDI RUINED STAR WARS AND SPITS IN FANS FACES videos. There's one called "the problem with Rose" that's almost 45 minutes long.

I think it's an extremely flawed movie, but there's also a lot to like in it. The extreme backlash is weird, especially since most people seem to have loved Rogue One which was equally as flawed.

The OT is pretty special to me, but I'm not sure if that makes me overly forgiving of the new films, or overly critical. But I would at least like people to give some credit to the successes of TLJ. At the very least I am intrigued at what Rian Johnson will do with his standalone trilogy. A lot of the problems of this movie stem from having to follow up on TFA and incorporating OT characters. I think Rian could do something really awesome if given a clean slate.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

https://imgur.com/a/6smO9#68VnaCK

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Have this person seen a Star Wars movie?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The complaint about the asteroids doesn't hold up because all you have to do is assume Han Solo is a better pilot than the handful of fighters that went after them, and even for him there was a risk of death.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That is how most of the complaints look to me.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Steve2911 posted:

Have this person seen a Star Wars movie?

Yes? It would appear that they at least saw Empire, and had a laugh reworking it to the standards of contemporary Very Online nerd echo chamber nitpicking ouroboros.

That's the joke.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
It also doesn't make any sense because Luke suffers greatly, loses a hand, almost dies, and has to be bailed out by his sister at the end of ESB. This is the hero's sacrifice that is required for him to return in ROTJ as the wise master who finally understands the lessons he was too young and impulsive to heed before. That's how you do the drat story without it being a "Gary Stu" you dolts

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

CelticPredator posted:

Marcia Lucas didn’t add Jedi rocks to ROTJ

Makes u thenk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyl3otdvXH4
jedi ricks is great

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Angry Salami posted:

Make it a Jimmy Smits and Ewan McGregor buddy film.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Last Jedi is definitely an improvement over Force Awakens (a low bar) which makes the sequel trilogy so far merely 'decent'. Not bad considering other recent fare in the fantasy-adventure genre, but pretty awful compared to the rest of the Star Wars franchise. Better than John Carter but worse than Jupiter Ascending.

Zas posted:

i like rlm, but the thing i resent about them, and it never gets brought up, is how it contributed to this whole notion that star wars is somehow about the characters and the story. like, gently caress no it isnt, star wars has only ever excelled at one thing: design. without its visual and sound design no one would give a poo poo about its generic characters or story. so basically its all about the spaceships and the lightsabers

There is a lot of amusing dimensions to prequel hate, but nothing is funnier than the notion that Star Wars (OT or ST) features "good" acting and dialogue.

Blisster posted:

I watched like two (mostly positive) videos about TLJ on YouTube and now my recommendations are completely filled with THE LAST JEDI RUINED STAR WARS AND SPITS IN FANS FACES videos. There's one called "the problem with Rose" that's almost 45 minutes long.

I think it's an extremely flawed movie, but there's also a lot to like in it. The extreme backlash is weird, especially since most people seem to have loved Rogue One which was equally as flawed.

The OT is pretty special to me, but I'm not sure if that makes me overly forgiving of the new films, or overly critical. But I would at least like people to give some credit to the successes of TLJ. At the very least I am intrigued at what Rian Johnson will do with his standalone trilogy. A lot of the problems of this movie stem from having to follow up on TFA and incorporating OT characters. I think Rian could do something really awesome if given a clean slate.

The problems are more Disney and fan mentality trying to force a safe apolitical tone: hence the Marvel-esque quips and repetition and constant return to status quo. Johnson certainly has the right attitude towards TFA and the OT, I think his sense of humour and politics are extremely similar to Lucas' own. But unfortunately this is as free as his reins will likely get.

And even the fairly minimal goofiness of TLJ is enough to cause nerds to freak out! The backlash is extremely predictable - he added cute animals and children and unequivocally endorsed with the message of the prequels.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I like that Snoke is just some rear end in a top hat like Palpatine, and that the porgs are just bilge rats.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Black Bones posted:

The problems are more Disney and fan mentality trying to force a safe apolitical tone: hence the Marvel-esque quips and repetition and constant return to status quo. Johnson certainly has the right attitude towards TFA and the OT, I think his sense of humour and politics are extremely similar to Lucas' own. But unfortunately this is as free as his reins will likely get.

For all the talk about Disney not taking political tones with the series, I don't see people really addressing that they brought in Saw Gerrera and the Partisans as extreme measures freedom fighters. It's a dark and more realistic shadow to tie in to the previously morally pristine Rebellion. The Rebellion through Luke, Lando and Wedge killed hundreds of thousands of people, but none of those actions were ever painted as morally grey or evil. Disney actually took a risk and muddied the waters, which I think makes for a more complex and interesting take on the "good guys".

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
More importantly, the Rebellion leadership is ready to give up until the radicals force their hand.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Is OT acting bad? The worst actor was Luke, everyone else was pretty good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

No Wave posted:

The OT acting is pretty drat bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Teek posted:

For all the talk about Disney not taking political tones with the series, I don't see people really addressing that they brought in Saw Gerrera and the Partisans as extreme measures freedom fighters. It's a dark and more realistic shadow to tie in to the previously morally pristine Rebellion. The Rebellion through Luke, Lando and Wedge killed hundreds of thousands of people, but none of those actions were ever painted as morally grey or evil. Disney actually took a risk and muddied the waters, which I think makes for a more complex and interesting take on the "good guys".

Well, to be fair, Jyn Erso was originally written as a full member of Saw's group but Disney got worried the movie was going to about a good terrorist so they had her apparently having been off on her own for a long time and so Saw's group could be kind of safely painted as a bunch of extremists.

To me, terrorism is good if it's for a good cause. What's morally ambiguous about the Rebellion isn't blowing up the Death Star (sucks all those subcontractors died but it was a legitimate target) but whether they'll actually build a good government once the Empire goes down.

No Wave posted:

I saw them too many times as a kid to be able to tell, now. I think Harrison is good although he has nothing to do in Jedi. Hammill and Fisher are kind of not great, but I honestly think Hamill really gets the character and is sort of doing what he's supposed to do even if the execution is not always there. James Earl Jones transcends the medium even though he's not doing a ton (I saw an interview where he says he was originally giving the lines a bit more something and Lucas was like, "Uh, no flatter you're an rear end in a top hat robot).

porfiria fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 3, 2018