Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I just hit 36 and I'm still having a blast following this guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1625254

I'm having a very difficult time figuring out what gear is an actual upgrade for a DOT/Caster character. What weapons should I be looking for? Do I stack armor or evasion or energy shield?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
So you can clear t15, but not higher? With that kind of money you should be able to kill shaper easily. Especially given you already have a 6l.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

epic Kingdom Hearts LP posted:

I just hit 36 and I'm still having a blast following this guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1625254

I'm having a very difficult time figuring out what gear is an actual upgrade for a DOT/Caster character. What weapons should I be looking for? Do I stack armor or evasion or energy shield?

For damage ED scales with spell damage, damage over time and chaos damage. While you're leveling this will be mostly wands but later you'll want something like this: https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Breath_of_the_Council as an example. For defense I wouldn't worry too much about evasion/armor/energy shield since your main source of mitigation is gonna be lots of mana with the mind over matter keystone.

West007
Apr 21, 2013

dyzzy posted:

So you can clear t15, but not higher? With that kind of money you should be able to kill shaper easily. Especially given you already have a 6l.

I haven't tried anything above 15. I only connected my t10 to the minotaur, I'm missing a lot of red maps, slowly filling up the atlas, at 106/157. I also dont want to die clearing unknown stuff and corrupted bosses now that I'm 91.7. I dont want to lose a ton of xp. My main concern is that it looks like tiny upgrades cost 5ex+.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

My first character this league was ED/C and it's pretty sweet. You should start doing Leo dailies (getting him to L3 is actually easy) so you can get a spell damage dagger and craft DoT damage on it. Breath of the Council is better but way more expensive.

Actually I followed that guide. MoM is amazing for the build and you should look for the items that augment it. Every ascendancy you get is great too.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Shaboom is my account, look up Gafgarion_SHIV.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

West007 posted:

I haven't tried anything above 15. I only connected my t10 to the minotaur, I'm missing a lot of red maps, slowly filling up the atlas, at 106/157. I also dont want to die clearing unknown stuff and corrupted bosses now that I'm 91.7. I dont want to lose a ton of xp. My main concern is that it looks like tiny upgrades cost 5ex+.

Honestly this is how most builds are once you're reasonably geared. GG rares are ridiculously expensive.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

George posted:

My first character this league was ED/C and it's pretty sweet. You should start doing Leo dailies (getting him to L3 is actually easy) so you can get a spell damage dagger and craft DoT damage on it. Breath of the Council is better but way more expensive.

Actually I followed that guide. MoM is amazing for the build and you should look for the items that augment it. Every ascendancy you get is great too.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Shaboom is my account, look up Gafgarion_SHIV.

Thanks a ton. How do I get ascendancy things?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Thanks a ton. How do I get ascendancy things?

Do the aptly-named Trials of Ascendancy, then run the Labyrinth.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Thanks for everyone's tips last night and this morning. Finished my third ascendancy trial without too much trouble and then finished Act 10.

Quick question. I see everyone talking about doing a master's daily. What the hell is this and how do I get them? So far I've just been doing the missions that the masters give me when I run into them randomly while playing, and have Catrina up to level 5, but with only 2 masters available in the hideout, I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be doing with them, as I seem to get those random missions from any of the masters, not just the ones in my hideout.

Is there a way to get more than two masters in my hideout?

Do the Masters ever give me higher crafting ability than level 20, if so is it just based on my level with them?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Magus42 posted:

Do the aptly-named Trials of Ascendancy, then run the Labyrinth.

To add: POE Lab is indispensable.

The Locator posted:

Thanks for everyone's tips last night and this morning. Finished my third ascendancy trial without too much trouble and then finished Act 10.

Quick question. I see everyone talking about doing a master's daily. What the hell is this and how do I get them? So far I've just been doing the missions that the masters give me when I run into them randomly while playing, and have Catrina up to level 5, but with only 2 masters available in the hideout, I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be doing with them, as I seem to get those random missions from any of the masters, not just the ones in my hideout.

Is there a way to get more than two masters in my hideout?

At master level 3 you can create a small hideout with 2 masters. At level 5 you can get a medium hideout with 4 masters, and at 7 a large hideout with all masters. If Catarina is who you created a hideout with, talk to her and upgrade your hideout to medium. As you level masters, more mods become available on their respective crafting benches (which are available at level 2).

Note: if Zana is not in your hideout you're Doing It Wrong.

Leo and Navali can also be invited to your hideout without counting against the limit. Navali can now be used to redeem divination cards, rather than having to trudge back into Highgate to talk to Tasuni.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 3, 2018

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I've got about 200ish spare C and I'm not sure what to upgrade next. I'm Inquisitor Volatile Dead (Cremation for bosses). Everything feels worth upgrading but I don't have a good feel for which is the worst.

I considered a VD enchant helm (probably 50+++ c) or switching to a Warlord's Mark ring and maybe a +1 curse amulet to pair with Blasphemy, but both of those are heavy investments and I wonder if I should be buying a new belt or jewels or gloves or something first to better effect.

Character: slo_Templartmallcop
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/eschatoned/characters

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

whypick1 posted:

At master level 3 you can create a small hideout with 2 masters. At level 5 you can get a medium hideout with 4 masters, and at 7 a large hideout with all masters. If Catarina is who you created a hideout with, talk to her and upgrade your hideout to medium. As you level masters, more mods become available on their respective crafting benches (which are available at level 2).

Note: if Zana is not in your hideout you're Doing It Wrong.

Leo and Navali can also be invited to your hideout without counting against the limit. Navali can now be used to redeem divination cards, rather than having to trudge back into Highgate to talk to Tasuni.

Thank you very much! I'll talk to Catarina and re-create her hideout which should allow me 4 then. I have Navali in as my 3rd, and I know I can get Leo, but didn't bother since I don't PvP, but maybe I'll throw him in there just because.

As for Zana - Remember that I just now finished Act 10, so I just met her and haven't done any missions for her at all yet (I figure I should actually get some work done this afternoon).

What about the 'daily' missions? Are they just the random missions they give me while I'm out killing stuff, or is there an actual daily I should be getting?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The daily is accessed through their dialogue interface.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

The Locator posted:

Thank you very much! I'll talk to Catarina and re-create her hideout which should allow me 4 then. I have Navali in as my 3rd, and I know I can get Leo, but didn't bother since I don't PvP, but maybe I'll throw him in there just because.

As for Zana - Remember that I just now finished Act 10, so I just met her and haven't done any missions for her at all yet (I figure I should actually get some work done this afternoon).

What about the 'daily' missions? Are they just the random missions they give me while I'm out killing stuff, or is there an actual daily I should be getting?

You should be able to invite Zana into your hideout right away if you've talked to her and did the map she gave you in Templar Laboratory. Masters need to be at level 2 in order to be invited/get their crafting bench, and I'm 99% sure they make it so you automatically hit level 2 with her after her mission.

Talk to the master in your hideout for their daily mission. Resets at 4PM PST (same time that the Labyrinth changes). Masters also sell some items, along with an item with that master's signature mod and a currency item (once they get to level 6[?]). For items, Elreon's (-mana cost of skills) and Zana (item quant -> item rarity) are nice, and Haku's (+% quality of socketed support gems) is nice if you're trying to level an Empower/Enlighten/Enhance. For currency, I think Elreon's (Jeweler's) Catarina (Scourings for Chances) and Vorici (Fusings for Jewelers) are the only worthwhile ones.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 3, 2018

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Thanks dudes.. Learning new stuff every day! I'll invite Zana after I do her first map for sure.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

whypick1 posted:

You should be able to invite Zana into your hideout right away if you've talked to her and did the map she gave you in Templar Laboratory. Masters need to be at level 2 in order to be invited/get their crafting bench, and I'm 99% sure they make it so you automatically hit level 2 with her after her mission.

Talk to the master in your hideout for their daily mission. Resets at 4PM PST (same time that the Labyrinth changes). Masters also sell some items, along with an item with that master's signature mod and a currency item (once they get to level 6[?]). For items, Elreon's (-mana cost of skills) and Zana (item quant -> item rarity) are nice, and Haku's (+% quality of socketed support gems) is nice if you're trying to level an Empower/Enlighten/Enhance. For currency, I think Elreon's (Jeweler's) and Vorici (fusings) are the only worthwhile ones.

Catarina's currency exchange is profitable. Elreon's is NOT.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Good thing I never remember to do them anyway :downs:

Fixed

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Still grinding up my level before Kitava, almost died to a blue strongbox lol. I found an iLvl 70 shield and spent all two dozen of my Chaos Orbs trying to roll it to have specs as good as my iLvl 30 shield, came up with nothing, now I'm broke.

On another topic, are there more endgame viable SSF HC builds along the lines of Explosive Arrow and Detonate Dead that simply do lots of damage irrelevant of gear? I do have a Quill Rain though I'm certain I'll die to reflect with that.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm starting to think it's impossible to get 2 green and 3 blue on a destroyer's raiment 5 link

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

West007 posted:

I read that I could go for a Lycosidae but when I plugged that in my PoB I saw a dps decrease.

As I understand, the strength of lycosidae is that you can completely ignore accuracy on the rest of your gear in exchange for better stats or just cheapness. If you already have good accuracy on your gear just swapping out your offhand probably won't achieve much. Not that I'm suggesting you should go and buy a new set of gear. I don't think lycosidae is nearly as good as it was at the current market price.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

..btt posted:

As I understand, the strength of lycosidae is that you can completely ignore accuracy on the rest of your gear in exchange for better stats or just cheapness. If you already have good accuracy on your gear just swapping out your offhand probably won't achieve much. Not that I'm suggesting you should go and buy a new set of gear. I don't think lycosidae is nearly as good as it was at the current market price.

He also has a bunch of dual wielding nodes to swap out, which frees up a bunch of points for other damage sources

West007
Apr 21, 2013

interrodactyl posted:

He also has a bunch of dual wielding nodes to swap out, which frees up a bunch of points for other damage sources

Yea adding that up it ended up about equal, right now I have 91% accuracy with a golem I think. Wasp nests have decent acc.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
If there's any room in the guild, can ShroudPoE get an invite?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

What could be causing PoE to just not want to use all of my gpu? The GPU is showing 100% utilization, but then theres massive frame drops and the power usage never goes above 50%. Its not happening on my other games

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

hawowanlawow posted:

I'm starting to think it's impossible to get 2 green and 3 blue on a destroyer's raiment 5 link

Do you mean Destroyer Regalia?

Shouldn't be too bad with Vorici 1G: https://siveran.github.io/calc.html

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Cao Ni Ma posted:

What could be causing PoE to just not want to use all of my gpu? The GPU is showing 100% utilization, but then theres massive frame drops and the power usage never goes above 50%. Its not happening on my other games

The simple answer is that the core of PoE was written by a couple of twenty-somethings in a garage, and it shows

I'm on a i5 6600K overclocked, 16GB of the fastest RAM I can run and a 1080ti and this simple-looking game can barely maintain 50fps in certain situations (burning ground comes to mind)

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Magus42 posted:

Do you mean Destroyer Regalia?

Shouldn't be too bad with Vorici 1G: https://siveran.github.io/calc.html

yeah, regalia

I fail every vorici mission that I get, since I'm ED/Contagion and my AoE DoTs don't leave anything alive

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah, regalia

I fail every vorici mission that I get, since I'm ED/Contagion and my AoE DoTs don't leave anything alive

Pull the guys you want to kill before you do the ED, use blight for the "leave them on low life" missions

gently caress the chest opening missions tho

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

The simple answer is that the core of PoE was written by a couple of twenty-somethings in a garage, and it shows

I'm on a i5 6600K overclocked, 16GB of the fastest RAM I can run and a 1080ti and this simple-looking game can barely maintain 50fps in certain situations (burning ground comes to mind)

Something is fucky... I have a 1080ti and a 120hz Gsync 3440x1440 Dell monitor that displays the FPS. I have it set to a 118 FPS cap and it never misses a frame no matter what poo poo is happening, unless I'm mining cryptocurrency at the same time in which case it still maintains ~40fps.

Y'all need to do some troubleshooting, make sure your drivers are up to date, I dunno.

Are you in true fullscreen mode? Maybe that's what you need to do.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

gently caress fullscreen mode in this game

honestly at 1080p with a 1070 and 6600k this game should literally never drop below 60fps, but it does. I'm pretty annoyed that I can't run it at 4k

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I run 3440x1440 at 60fps (monitor refresh rate) on a 6700k and a 980 video card and I've never noticed a slowdown and the in-game framerate always shows 60. Dunno why others are experiencing performance issues with even better video cards at lower resolution.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Thanks for all the tips. I’m really enjoying the hell out of the game and this build. I have real poo poo for gear but I’ll get there eventually I guess. Since I’m taking MoM, evasion and defensive stats aren’t worth worrying about right? Just stack mana? Should I get MoM right away?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Zero VGS posted:

Something is fucky... I have a 1080ti and a 120hz Gsync 3440x1440 Dell monitor that displays the FPS. I have it set to a 118 FPS cap and it never misses a frame no matter what poo poo is happening, unless I'm mining cryptocurrency at the same time in which case it still maintains ~40fps.

Y'all need to do some troubleshooting, make sure your drivers are up to date, I dunno.

It has been a long time since I blasted my Windows install off the face of the earth and reinstalled everything but oh crackers it's been three years and I don't want to do that :(

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

hawowanlawow posted:

gently caress fullscreen mode in this game

honestly at 1080p with a 1070 and 6600k this game should literally never drop below 60fps, but it does. I'm pretty annoyed that I can't run it at 4k

Ditto 3440x1400x100 rock solid. Your machine's busted brosef.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

nah, it's just PoE

it plays PUBG like a champ and THAT game runs like balls

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I finally gave in and picked up a Baron's for my SRS build - I was doing well without it, but it's a good bump in power that I won't surpass until I have access to +3 gem bone helmets (which are like 30 times as expensive). I also picked up a Dervish last night from the ground, and holy poo poo I had forgotten how good rampage is - especially with abysses and null portals it's :2bong:

Today I picked up a Sidhebreath - though I failed to vaal it correctly.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah, regalia

ED/C might be the best Vorici build I've ever done. If you have to kill the elite but leave a guard alive just carefully snipe with ED by itself. If you have to kill the guards but leave the elite alive then hit the whole group with Contagion by itself. The only one it can't handle is keeping the elite at low HP.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

George posted:

ED/C might be the best Vorici build I've ever done. If you have to kill the elite but leave a guard alive just carefully snipe with ED by itself. If you have to kill the guards but leave the elite alive then hit the whole group with Contagion by itself. The only one it can't handle is keeping the elite at low HP.

true, but I've gone the route of increasing duration on everything so that I can shield charge through 3 or 4 groups on each cast and don't catch it in time.

up until now I didn't know vorici had such a cool perk, I assumed it would just be +dex or +evade enchants or something. now that I know there's something in it for me I'll be more careful

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

It was working fine and then yesterday it sort of took a poo poo. Yeah I'm generating more balls and maps are getting more mobs but going from pretty stable 100+ frames to dropping to 30 and feeling extremely sluggish even at higher frames has me confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Like when I was flipping graphics cards it was playable on loving Intel Integrated Graphics at my resolution, it was something around 25fps and if I turned on the "dynamic resolution" thing they had it would make it look like mush but it would run closer to 60.

I haven't had any performance issues with this game since back when they had the original aura animations and everyone in your party had like 5 auras.