Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Typical Pubbie posted:

That's not an honorific like miss or ma'am. It's not a big deal, it's just odd that I have to remind myself this character is gender neutral when they're slinging dusty gendered nouns like they're in a Dickens novel.
The one I've seen now and again is Mx, instead of Mr. or Ms. Pronounced "mix", I think?

The lack of a gender neutral term of respect is a weird blind spot in the English language, though. Can we steal usted or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i like and use mx

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

PMush Perfect posted:

The lack of a gender neutral term of respect is a weird blind spot in the English language, though. Can we steal usted or something?

In Star Trek for a while everyone was Mister.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

PMush Perfect posted:

The one I've seen now and again is Mx, instead of Mr. or Ms. Pronounced "mix", I think?

Comrade already exists. :ussr:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I bet Tommy Binks had something to do with this.

Edit: In other Tackleford related news (Giant Days #34 spoilers) :rip: Ed Gemmel. He never scored (with Esther).

OK, he's probably not dead, but I wouldn't put it past Allison.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 3, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

darthbob88 posted:

Comrade already exists. :ussr:
There's too much solidarity in comrade for the detached and often false/hollow/compulsory respect of Mr./Ms.

Imagine Agent Smith calling Neo 'Comrade Anderson'. It just doesn't work.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I know some fantasy stuff has done a push to use 'Ser' rather than the gendered 'Sir' or 'Lady' but that always strikes me as weird because if you say it it's just 'sir'.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
There's also "Sor"

But then again, it's a written medium, pronunciation doesn't really matter

(Cue the Nedroid "Sword" strip)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There's always "citizen".

You know, like "Citizen Kane" instead of "Mister Kane".

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Mors Rattus posted:

I know some fantasy stuff has done a push to use 'Ser' rather than the gendered 'Sir' or 'Lady' but that always strikes me as weird because if you say it it's just 'sir'.

I've always pronounced it the same as the "Ser" in "Serrated" or "Serra".

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

"hoss" is gender neutral

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PMush Perfect posted:

There's too much solidarity in comrade for the detached and often false/hollow/compulsory respect of Mr./Ms.

im imagining this and it owns actually

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

I can't see Hugo Weaving saying it, but I can see basically anyone else as Smith saying it. ...Actually no, it just came to me. I can totally see Hugo Weaving saying it now.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Tollymain posted:

i like and use mx

Well that's one I haven't heard before.

In general words like that won't catch on though, because honorifics like sir/ma'am more or less function like pronouns, which are a closed class of words in English. Closed classes don't tend to accept newly coined words, but only slowly mutate if at all.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pavlov posted:

Well that's one I haven't heard before.

In general words like that won't catch on though, because honorifics like sir/ma'am more or less function like pronouns, which are a closed class of words in English. Closed classes don't tend to accept newly coined words, but only slowly mutate if at all.

pronouns change plenty. see thee/thou getting phased out

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

There's always "citizen".

You know, like "Citizen Kane" instead of "Mister Kane".

Pick up that can.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

Tollymain posted:

Yeah, that's what I mean. Pronouns tend to change through a drawn out process of gradual usage, but not with abrupt changes. So 'Mx' isn't likely to catch on, unless you can get people to use 'Ms." gender neutrally first, and it slowly shifts over like decades.

It's the same reason english is moving towards singular 'they' instead of any alternative pronuns that have been suggested.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Citizen formal, dude informal, there I have Perfected English

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Are there any webcomics (besides Homestuck) that regularly use animations or take advantage of digital medium?

Even something small like this http://www.threepanelsoul.com/comic/utility

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
kid radd

neocosmos (i need to catch up on this one)

ava's demon

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
xkcd occasionally

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
iothera uses twine at times (it can be moderately nsfw)

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Will have to check Ava again, forgot about it a while back due to the hiatus

ps. also I like this storyline a lot http://www.threepanelsoul.com/comic/search/Jo/1

Jackard fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 4, 2018

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Pavlov posted:

Yeah, that's what I mean. Pronouns tend to change through a drawn out process of gradual usage, but not with abrupt changes. So 'Mx' isn't likely to catch on, unless you can get people to use 'Ms." gender neutrally first, and it slowly shifts over like decades.

There was an extreme level of pushback against "Ms" as late as the 80s.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Tollymain posted:

Does this one still read like an animation storyboard? I remember it having way to many superfluous panels.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jackard posted:

Are there any webcomics (besides Homestuck) that regularly use animations or take advantage of digital medium?

While not animation, Unsounded does some pretty fantastic stuff with its page framing from time to time whenever poo poo goes off the rails, creating the sense that whatever magic is happening has gone so wrong it's literally spilling off the page and infecting the website itself at times.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Tollymain posted:

Time to bring it back!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Jackard posted:

All Night Laundry does some interesting animated gif stuff on top of managing to have a relatively coherent time travel plotline

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Jackard posted:

Honey Crab does animations and sometimes sound, and at least once showed a cosmetic choice in how the protagonist reacts to another character, but they might do more elaborate stuff later. It has a "no frills" option to read it as a regular comic too, frame by frame.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Jackard posted:

Most of the ones I can think of have already been named, but Hobo Lobo does some cool poo poo.

On the other hand, with how many people have switched to phone browsers, fancy webcomics might be a harder sell these days.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

oh god
i can't imagine reading any comic on a phone, that sounds miserable

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

AriadneThread posted:

oh god

Isn't that some of the intent behind those Korean comics that are extremely tall and narrow?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

AriadneThread posted:

oh god

It's okay on a bigger phone if the site is set up with a good mobile display mode to use the screen space maximally and have decent controls. Most webcomics it's impossible, though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Y'all are loving weak

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Tollymain posted:

I have some bad news.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Jackard posted:

Awful Hospital does occasional animation or music, and also does the whole "reader suggestions" thing that MS Paint Adventures did, but in a more meaningful and story specific way.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Thanks for the heads up, everyone

YggiDee posted:

Most of the ones I can think of have already been named, but Hobo Lobo does some cool poo poo.
Haha page three is great

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Stats: Updates happen on average every 23.3 days. Recently they’ve happened 72.3 days apart. Last update happened 1252.7 days ago... Ahem, I am probably very sorry stuff is late. I suspect I may have a good reason for it. Twitter or Tumblr may know more... Also, check out stats over time.

whoops :(

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

fritz posted:

"hoss" is gender neutral

lol now i wanna start calling everyone "hoss" both online and in person, whether they like it or not

it is a horrible idea but funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

You can use "pardner" but only if you wear either a leather vest or a cowboy hat.