Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

weird Asian candy posted:

You liked choc covered banana? I was so pumped for that flavor and it tasted very artificial banana-y to me. It wasn't terrible, but I wouldn't get it again.

I love fake banana flavor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I got a standing desk for work today. I kinda like it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I got a standing desk for work today. I kinda like it.

Strikers were gunned down in the street fighting for your right to sit down at work. For shame.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
drat I just got two pints of Halo Top, wish I had seen all this beforehand.

Oh well, hopefully chocolate and mint chocolate chip are decent.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy
Are there any managers in here? I’m wanting to ask something/rant just because of the absurdity of it and see if I am just overreacting.

I have a guy through a staffing agency who is a quick learner and is doing a pretty good job. It’s hard to find good help in the location I am in and the job has a really steep learning curve so when I find someone worth keeping I do what I can to keep them around. However here is my problem, on a personal level, this guy is the complete opposite of myself and the others in the department which means I don’t let things go to far off work topics. He is a huge Trump supporter, he proceeded to tell me one day how Trump is bringing “morals” back to USA and that he is getting things done. He wanted to give me a list of all the great things Trump has accomplished so far and it would take an hour to list them all if he talked about it. The next thing is he is a conspiracy theorist and tries to start in about chemtrails and anti-vaccination which means his youngest kid isn’t vaccinated. I really have a problem with it on a personal level as to me it’s stupid not to vaccinate your kids. He mentioned today about flat Earth theory and asked us what we thought about it, one of my guys asked him what he thought about it since we all expectedhim to say he believed it. Thankfully he said he didn’t but his wife does. At this point I feel like I’m being just weird but have you ever disagreed with someone you employ on a personal level so much that it makes you question if you should keep them?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/THRMattBelloni/status/948670674997886976

MORE IS COMIN

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Blitz7x posted:

Baby boomers are not smart

Edit the food pyramid was created to subsidize wheat/sugar/grain farmers and should be tilted on its side

Aren’t they coming out with a new one

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Aren’t they coming out with a new one

They did back in like 2005. But they might be coming out with a new new one who knows.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

SundayMoney posted:

Are there any managers in here? I’m wanting to ask something/rant just because of the absurdity of it and see if I am just overreacting.

I have a guy through a staffing agency who is a quick learner and is doing a pretty good job. It’s hard to find good help in the location I am in and the job has a really steep learning curve so when I find someone worth keeping I do what I can to keep them around. However here is my problem, on a personal level, this guy is the complete opposite of myself and the others in the department which means I don’t let things go to far off work topics. He is a huge Trump supporter, he proceeded to tell me one day how Trump is bringing “morals” back to USA and that he is getting things done. He wanted to give me a list of all the great things Trump has accomplished so far and it would take an hour to list them all if he talked about it. The next thing is he is a conspiracy theorist and tries to start in about chemtrails and anti-vaccination which means his youngest kid isn’t vaccinated. I really have a problem with it on a personal level as to me it’s stupid not to vaccinate your kids. He mentioned today about flat Earth theory and asked us what we thought about it, one of my guys asked him what he thought about it since we all expectedhim to say he believed it. Thankfully he said he didn’t but his wife does. At this point I feel like I’m being just weird but have you ever disagreed with someone you employ on a personal level so much that it makes you question if you should keep them?

Culture is 50% of what i hire based on

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They did back in like 2005. But they might be coming out with a new new one who knows.

Lol hence my question

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Amy Pole Her posted:

Culture is 50% of what i hire based on

Yeah I'm the same. I tend to hire people who on 3 criteria

1. Competence
2. Culture fit
3. Independence / conscientiousness

If they have experience in the industry its a bonus but with those three you can teach em to do anything. If they get along with other people in the team and want to do well the rest will usually look after itself.

I've worked with people with more experience in the industry than me but had an air of "having done their time" or weren't a good fit personality wise and it doesn't work in the long run.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

SundayMoney posted:

For me this is only an issue if the person can't shut up about sensitive topics at work. I realize under Trump it's really really loving hard so that's probably changed but if he's going to bring up conspiracy theories every day, yea I'd definitely think about it.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

BlindSite posted:

Yeah I'm the same. I tend to hire people who on 3 criteria

1. Competence
2. Culture fit
3. Independence / conscientiousness

If they have experience in the industry its a bonus but with those three you can teach em to do anything. If they get along with other people in the team and want to do well the rest will usually look after itself.

I've worked with people with more experience in the industry than me but had an air of "having done their time" or weren't a good fit personality wise and it doesn't work in the long run.

I echo this entirely. I’m not even influential, i only hire interns at my level. I’m hoping next year to be a full time supply manager or full in house counsel for a fortune 100... which would bring in those types of responsibilities. I mimic the people i hope to replace, and that’s what they seem to hire based on.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
If I didn't hire Trump supporters I wouldn't have a staff.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

There was a post production supervisor that was pretty good at his job and had these wild conspiracy theories about celebrities in LA being warlocks and people selling their kids off to each other for sexual abuse. It was fine to listen to him for kicks but he kept using work hours to research his wild crackpot theories about covens and whatnot.

We had to fire him eventually. They usually get worse, not better.

I was okay until you said chemtrails and then it just got worse and I'd find a reason to let that guy go. Not because he's a Trumper even though that would be really hard to stomach, it's because he's a conspiracy nut and that makes me question how tethered you are to reality. That's the part that could be a future problem.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/948703234960560130

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TRUMP

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

SundayMoney posted:

We had one hardcore trump supporter in an office of 20ish liberals/moderates, he kept going on and on about snowflakes this snowflakes that. Dude would meltdown over anyone disagreeing with him, constantly talked about his martial art classes (which he started taking because he got in a fight with a family member and got beat badly) AND would refuse to let the one female in help desk do any more challenging work because he felt women don't belong in IT. Eventually he left on his own to work in a call center because he didn't like the culture :haw:

I don't know if that helps ya but I've never known a place to not hire based on culture fit and these kinds of people eventually weed themselves out.

Anyways - Finished my basement gym :toot:

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

SundayMoney posted:

I don't usually hire, but I do have the authority to fire anyone who is not the general counsel or my brothers, and I'd get sick of that guy within a week if I had to talk to him. If he were highly skilled, I'd just banish him to out-of-town projects. If I had to train him personally, he'd never make it past his probationary 90 based on flat Earth and vaccines. I can ignore political opinions

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
CNN's NYE coverage was watched more than Fox News. Sad!

http://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/2018/01/03/new-years-eve-live-with-anderson-cooper-andy-cohen-is-cnns-most-watched-nye-special-ever/

I'm only highlighting it because technically I was on that show.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Wait is this Kobach's baby?

This is actual good news if so, because that entire thing was designed as a huge voter suppression machine.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

SundayMoney posted:

If he's comfortable enough moralizing to you, chances are he's said some horrible poo poo to your other coworkers. Additionally, some of these beliefs demonstrate a startlingly bad lack of critical thinking skills and in the case of anti-vax: actively dangerous. What happens if (God forbid) he reaches another coworker with his thinking on vaccines and harms someone that way? I'd have fired him long ago. Thankfully, "anti-vax" isn't a protected class. Depending on if you're in a right to work state or not, you can just pinch that loaf if need be with no explanation.

The thing is, you need to think of what gets you the best result possible in your workplace. You know that old saying about bad apples spoiling the bunch? It's very true. If this guy is dragging you down a bit, imagine what the cumulative effect of that is across all his teammates. How much money are you losing that way? Your team's needs trump ( :rimshot: ) all other concerns, because that cost is your most significant one.

I manage a lot of people, even ones that buy into some of the dumbest "lamestream media" bullshit. However, they know not to talk about it at work, and would never be allowed to negatively affect other coworkers. Whether the worker in question is good or not isn't so important as if your team can accomplish its goals without burning itself out physically or emotionally. An exhausted team leads to bad productivity, sloppy work, and terrible morale. If the presence of one poisonous rear end in a top hat is dragging others' morale down, even in small ways like childish sniping or personality, it'll affect your bottom line in short order. Whatever you lose on them in the short term, you'll gain back more with a better employee that fits the team.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Weren't we supposed to have a fake news awards

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Weren't we supposed to have a fake news awards
On Monday

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Got to build up to it, it's Trump's ultimate.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
So, knowing how things have worked out for Trump so far, that means the pee tape will drop on Friday

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am curious to see how he responds when South Korea resolves the nuclear conflict without him

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy
Thanks everyone for their responses, I am in a weird spot with my company in that my department generally has the highest turnover due to the stress and learning curve attached to it so the other managers in the company don’t have the day to day and face to face interaction I do with my team so that’s why I wanted to reach out here. I do value culture/environment and really put forth an effort in making it as friendly as I can here. He is through a staffing agency so I can cancel the employment for anything I want during the time period of the contract so that’s no big deal. I’ve talked to my other workers and so far they are saying he isn’t being that bad and as long as he is busy he doesn’t talk about it. So far the attitude hasn’t changed and productivity is right in line with where we need to be. This was more of my gut and being conflicted, he is a great worker but just the personal stuff gives me pause especially when I say I’m the one giving this guy a paycheck.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am curious to see how he responds when South Korea resolves the nuclear conflict without him

Obviously if that would happen he'd just take credit.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

Obviously if that would happen he'd just take credit.

My two ATC friends agree.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I just implement a No Politics rule. Since I manage customer service I can get away with it as if they at chatting amongst themselves they aren’t assisting members.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

https://youtu.be/TGdhRR6OeDw

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/EricTrump/status/948378088899072000

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

That boy's a special kind of stupid.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

weird, why would the people you never stop talking about appear as twitter recommendations

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Gym bros, any thoughts on volume training? My trainer recommended it to me as a break from power lifting, and I just wondering if anyone had any success with it, and how the implemented it

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

My rule is you do not talk about politics at work.

Also my really nice super cool boss used the word gooks today. Sigh.

Edit: so I guess he's not actually those things

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Neil Armbong posted:

That boy's a special kind of stupid.

He knows his base

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

My rule is you do not talk about politics at work.

This is my rule as well although my new job is filled with liberals and leftists so I really only have to be careful around clients. One of my clients is a former Marine and the instant she found out I'm a veteran she assumed I was conservative so that's been awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Gym bros, any thoughts on volume training?

it's been clinically proven that turning up your music makes you lift more so Do It