Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The twins, the lover, the protector, the peacemaker, the lonely journal keeper, and the wordless one.

It might have been peacekeeper, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ariong posted:

As fun as it is to poke fun at Clint for not remembering stuff about his character, I think Justin forgetting that he doesn’t have spellshaping anymore might have him beat. It’s equivalent to Merle trying to say a prayer to Morthammer Duin because he forgot he switched to Pan.

I had forgotten he ever had spellshaping.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I've listened to D&D pods where the sudden and extreme deaths of people leads to a bit of a rut, but I will say that TAZ became pretty low stakes over time, because you basically knew they had insane plot armor, and I feel like live shows reinforce just referencing past stuff or bringing out the greatest hits. I get it. You want to fill shows, make some bucks, and not bum out the crowd. But there's nearly zero penalty for just doing dumb stuff all the time, including Justin openly flaunting in multiple episodes that he knows he can't die.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
The dumb stuff is the point of the show. That, and them having fun. This isn't supposed to actually be for real, high stakes game play.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
TAZ is about as far as you get from the authentic D&D experience

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

The dumb stuff is the point of the show. That, and them having fun. This isn't supposed to actually be for real, high stakes game play.

Yes, I know, and I still like it, but I do feel there's room for improvement and openly telling the 4th wall "I can't die lol" is a bit over the top as the DM just says "fine, whatever."

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I've found the TAZ live shows generally pretty boring. Not anywhere near as funny as the show proper. Probably a hell of a better experience to actually see it live.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

mlmp08 posted:

Yes, I know, and I still like it, but I do feel there's room for improvement and openly telling the 4th wall "I can't die lol" is a bit over the top as the DM just says "fine, whatever."
that plus leaning too heavily into emotional sappy stuff rather than jokes n bullying NPCs is why I stopped listening to TAZ

granted this was a bit back so I haven't listened to recent stuff. and also I never ever listen to live shows, of any podcast

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
my enjoyment of TAZ went way up when i stopped thinking of it as an actual play d&d podcast and more like a radio play that uses tabletop games as a frameworks

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/947684336136056833

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I sneakily introduced the topic of twenty ? teen at my NYE party tonight, and my favorite by far was Twenty GreatTeam: Friends Forever.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

inthesto posted:

TAZ is about as far as you get from the authentic D&D experience

Arguing what is and isn't "authentic" RPG playing is a dangerous road to travel, my friend.
Especially considering any half-decent GM guide tells you that rules are suggestions and you only have to follow what the group agrees to.
It's framework.

Hell, even in Pathfinder, a game designed for people who thought DnD didn't have ENOUGH rules, suggests this.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Arguing over D&D editions is the authentic D&D experience

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
My authentic D&D experience has been the DM and one of the players getting drunk and chit chatting so much that we barely make it through any of the campaign in a 4 hour session

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Authentic D&D experience: One guy always derailing the action because he wants to creepily hit on some NPC.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

Authentic D&D experience: One guy always derailing the action because he wants to creepily hit on some NPC.

So the Flophouse episode was an actual play one?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

mlmp08 posted:

This is genuinely why I quit my first D&D campaign. Our DM was already bad and railroady, and one of the party members had to hit on literally every woman we encountered. He even chased one off that offensive had information on our quest. It was awful.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I was reading the list of spells that wizards can do in 5e, and I came across Tenser's Transformation, and now all I can think about is Taako kicking someone's rear end to protect Magnus. Would he look the same, or would he hulk out like Senator Armstrong?

Does anyone remember what spell he used to turn into a T-Rex in Wonderland?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Polymorph, I think

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Inzombiac posted:

Arguing what is and isn't "authentic" RPG playing is a dangerous road to travel, my friend.
Especially considering any half-decent GM guide tells you that rules are suggestions and you only have to follow what the group agrees to.
It's framework.

Hell, even in Pathfinder, a game designed for people who thought DnD didn't have ENOUGH rules, suggests this.

This is all true, but TAZ barely played 5e, which was already the most rules-light version of D&D. The podcast works because their primary concern is good radio and following the rules isn't even in the top 10 of things they care about.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Travis was on the very fun Good Christian Fun podcast talking about McGee And Me

https://www.goodchristianfun.com/listen/mcgeeandme

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

sexpig by night posted:

Travis was on the very fun Good Christian Fun podcast talking about McGee And Me

I hope they answer the question of how is McGee in a Christian weltanschauung.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I kinda like that Travis probably has the most amount of serious non-MBMBAM things because while I'm sure he and his brothers and dad are probably on the same page on stuff like this, he speaks so passionately and genuinely about it it's kinda a refreshing change from the goof goof dildos.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I really didn't like all the dunking on Clint in the latest live show. I know it's all in good fun or whatever but it felt like they called him worthless or said something was the first good decision he ever made, like, twenty times, and yelled at him to either use or not use his character voice everytime he talked when they're just as inconsistent with it.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Re: Good Christian Fun, never knew about the whole Mother McElroy being the church secretary for her career then having them aggressively try to cut her off their insurance once she got cancer.

gently caress.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
What the gently caress?

Also that topic seems a little too real for a podcast where the picture in the show notes is the guest holding a little cartoon man in his hands.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

They start off with a few minutes on Travis's background and when he walked away from being super-churchy. As far as they go that's a drat good reason.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Kenny Logins posted:

Re: Good Christian Fun, never knew about the whole Mother McElroy being the church secretary for her career then having them aggressively try to cut her off their insurance once she got cancer.

gently caress.

Holy poo poo. They don’t talk much about their religious past but I get the sense they don’t church anymore, including Clint. No wonder.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah that explains a lot of the undertones with both Merle and Mary

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea the show starts with the guest talking about their faith/lack of faith and the journey they took and all, the story was in the context of how Travis kinda started feeling that the whole 'you can just be a huge piece of poo poo to others as long as you check the boxes we tell you' thing is PROBABLY the actual opposite of what Jesus actually would be down to clown with.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

sexpig by night posted:

yea the show starts with the guest talking about their faith/lack of faith and the journey they took and all, the story was in the context of how Travis kinda started feeling that the whole 'you can just be a huge piece of poo poo to others as long as you check the boxes we tell you' thing is PROBABLY the actual opposite of what Jesus actually would be down to clown with.

Religion.txt pretty much.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Honestly, I will never understand how Faith Alone vs. Faith and Good Deeds as the path to Heaven is such a huge schism in Christian doctrine.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Honestly, I will never understand how Faith Alone vs. Faith and Good Deeds as the path to Heaven is such a huge schism in Christian doctrine.

it makes more sense when you remember the guys that got exiled from england weren't actually pilgrims seeking freedom but were dissenters of the Savoy Conference and they were extreme Calvinists who believed in limited redemption, which meant God COULD absolve all sinners but only chose the most pious and perfect servants. They were very much into "I check these boxes, that's more boxes than you, I am not just a better servant of God but a better human in general and thus inherently must be moral".

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I went to an protestant school as a kid and I literally was taught all other faiths were wrong because they required good deeds and Christians only require accepting Christ. I've never really been mr edgelord 'gently caress the religions' as a Jew myself but that was basically when I internally went 'alright so this is all bullshit and I'm just here because you're better than my local public school and should stop pretending this will enrich me culturally, cool.'

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

sexpig by night posted:

Holy poo poo this was like, one of two cartoons my grandma let me watch when I was over at her place.

She is also very much the WASP from hell, and resents my mother's sin (lesbianism) keeping them from being together in the afterlife, and sends me Christan bookstore "help" books that talk about how deeds alone mean nothing, and only faith can get you into heaven. Useful knowledge from a woman who's outlived 4 husbands, and pretty much survived off their wealth/insurance.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

What's crazy is I remember reading a McGee and Me book (novelization?) as a kid, which didn't even have the draw of animation.

It was about not letting kids watch scary movies because it rots their brains IIRC. It was pretty insufferable then, probably worse now.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Kenny Logins posted:

What's crazy is I remember reading a McGee and Me book (novelization?) as a kid, which didn't even have the draw of animation.

It was about not letting kids watch scary movies because it rots their brains IIRC. It was pretty insufferable then, probably worse now.

That was an actual episode of the cartoon / TV show

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

When I was a child and went to some terrible protestant school because my parents were afraid of public education, I managed to rationalize it as "people with authentic faith will necessarily do good deeds anyway".

It blows my mind that there are many lifelong Christians who cannot even manage this justification.

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

Kenny Logins posted:

I completely forgot that was a thing until you brought that up. I can almost guarantee there's a copy of that somewhere at my parents, considering they were a little controlling on what I could and couldn't read/watch. The "Christian vs. secular media" deal is why I'm still catching up on music and books from the 90's that are widely considered great but I just missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

When you look at it in a removed way and pretend it's not 90% just about having a convenient excuse to be a shithead, it actually makes sense in the context of the rest of Christianity. It's not "in Jesus your sins are washed away unless you happen to be a real rear end in a top hat about it" after all.