Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
OnePlus just has a really shaky history of lying to their customers, cheating, failing to follow spec on USB cables, making weird and tasteless marketing campaigns, and then their phones are for spec nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

cage-free egghead posted:

OnePlus just has a really shaky history of lying to their customers, cheating, failing to follow spec on USB cables, making weird and tasteless marketing campaigns, and then their phones are for spec nerds.

This guy is right, the Razor phone is the phone to buy.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
What's the best phone that doesn't have fast updates because you play a dumb mobile game that doesn't support new versions of Android immediately and you can't afford to miss out on those daily login bonuses? :downs:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mods, can we bring back the "oneplus one means don't buy one" thread title because somehow people still don't get it

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

isndl posted:

What's the best phone that doesn't have fast updates because you play a dumb mobile game that doesn't support new versions of Android immediately and you can't afford to miss out on those daily login bonuses? :downs:

You know you're not forced to update right? I'm still sitting with the 8.1 upgrade notification since there are some apps that will break if I update

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

isndl posted:

The Moto G5+ 64GB/4GB version. The Moto G's generally get one update and are forgotten so you might still have the problem of going from Nougat to Oreo in the near future but after that you'll get security updates occasionally and that's probably it. Plus it's a great phone for $230.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

gwrtheyrn posted:

You know you're not forced to update right? I'm still sitting with the 8.1 upgrade notification since there are some apps that will break if I update

This is technically true, but the number of times I've seen people accidentally updating suggests it's not the the most reliable plan. Plus having that update notification in the tray constantly gets tiresome.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Rickets posted:

I think it's wise to avoid a manufacturer you've had problems with despite all these claims that Google's magic touch somehow made a decade of poor quality go away? I also think it is silly to say you want certain features on a phone (like expandable memory) and then let people who don't have your use case convince you their method of doing things is better?

It's not even the lack of expandable storage that is the dealbreaker, given the 128GB option. I only have a 64GB SD card in my G5 right now on top of the 32GB built-in storage and it's not even 3/4 full right now. It was moreso that the 128GB option for the Pixel makes the phone a little more expensive than what I was hoping to pay for a new phone, given that my G5's camera literally no longer focuses and the thing just locks up for no reason at random intervals. I was also a victim of the G4 bootloop, but the deal I got on the G5 was so goddamn good that I actually couldn't say no to going with LG again. No more. I need to get the gently caress out of LG's ecosystem.

The lack of headphone jack is a different matter. However, it looks like the adapter comes in the box with the phone, so I guess I can't be super mad. I just can't charge my phone and listen to stuff at the same time.

This seems to be the overwhelming message I get from reading stuff the past couple days.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

+1 on Pixel as your best go to as you will get reliable support for both Updates, and Hardware support that few other companies are going to get close to. If you do want pure specs, the Razer phone does actually provide a better hardware setup for long term and going from the few Robin owners, hopefully the build quality would last as long as the specs should. Software support however is anyone's guess at this early point.

I had the same question asked on another forum, gave them my $.02 on why I don't recommend the OnePlus, he goes and reads a bunch of published news about how great the device is, and just calls me an idiot for being the only one to respond, and disagree with how great OnePlus is to everyone else, hence I was wrong because I had a different view. (Funny how this echos in everything from Politics, to Tech, to Auto, and well any other facet of life where there can be multiple viewpoints and experiences... funny that).

Am I (are we) right about OnePlus? Maybe. Do we have plenty of past history that's been documented on the net to give us a reasonable view of what to expect, sure. (LG also has it's own history and that makes for another whole debate in of itself over Pixel 2XL)

But for how shady OnePlus has been over a lot of Marketing and Support things over the past few years, it really is hard to recommend them over many other brands.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Rickets posted:

This guy is right, the Razor phone is the phone to buy.

I can't really tell if you're being sarcastic but I actually think the Razor phone is pretty cool and should be a better decision in the long run than any OnePlus device.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Hi, very happy OP5 user here, would buy again, sorry to interrupt now you can go back to your pixel circle jerk and keep dogpiling the new guy with the Brady avatar

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Google has already hosed me over and I literally didn't do much more than try to order the Pixel 2. When you go through the ordering process, the order page will reset your shipping method once they calculate the sales tax without prompting you. And since I need my phone for work and school immediately, Google just charged me $800 for a phone that wouldn't get here for over a week. I immediately cancelled the order through my account page, but now my credit card company thinks there's still a $800 charge pending that won't get removed until midnight when their system updates. And since it's still showing up in my account as an $800 charge, I no longer have enough credit under my limit to re-order the loving phone.

I'm going to have to use my other, lovely card to make this order, and I'm really not happy about it. How the gently caress does a monolith like Google gently caress up something as simple as an order page so badly?

Syrinxx posted:

Hi, very happy OP5 user here, would buy again, sorry to interrupt now you can go back to your pixel circle jerk and keep dogpiling the new guy with the Brady avatar

Glad to hear it. I take a little solace knowing that the OP5T is still coming in the mail despite me thinking about returning it, so maybe I'll have it for a couple days while I sort out this Google shitfuck that I just got myself into

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That sucks. Maybe open a chat with Google Support and see if they can just change the address that it's shipping to? Or are you saying that any shipment is going to take a week and apparently that is somehow unexpected?

Also, not to poo poo on anyone's financial situation, but if you are that close to your credit limit maybe buying an $800 is a bad idea. That being said, Google does offer 0% financing that's pretty pain-free.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

That sucks. Maybe open a chat with Google Support and see if they can just change the address that it's shipping to? Or are you saying that any shipment is going to take a week and apparently that is somehow unexpected?

Also, not to poo poo on anyone's financial situation, but if you are that close to your credit limit maybe buying an $800 is a bad idea.

Nah, they changed my order from expedited shipping (1-2 days) to basic shipping (7-10 days). Google can't do anything now because I cancelled the order from my account page. It's not the credit limit that's the issue, I just had a couple other bill payments going through this week. I was, and still am technically, well over $2000 under my credit limit. This is also still including the pending OP5T charge that will get refunded when I send the parcel back. My card company just thinks I'm trying to buy two separate $800 phones and a $550 one lmao. This card also isn't exactly the greatest credit card and I'm getting a new one soon anyway with way better rates and rewards.

The lady on the phone from my credit company was like "well maybe we can do a hard credit check and increase your limit!" and I was like get the gently caress outta here

barnold fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 3, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Case in point about OnePlus. They just pulled the update for the OP5 for unspecified reasons.

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/01/03/oneplus-5-getting-5ts-face-unlock-grabs-official-oreo-now-updated-pulled-now/

Hmm, link isn't working for some reason.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Okay, I just solved my problem by just doing the Google Store financing option. That way, I can avoid having to use my lovely card, and pay off the balance using my fancy new credit card when it comes in, AND still get my new phone within a day or two. Whew. I think it's sort of neat that I'll have both phones in my possession for at least a day or two, then I can do a proper A/B comparison and see what I like best.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I just bought a 2xl, and for the first time in 2 decades of phone ownership I'm actually using it to take pictures. Can't be overstated how much this camera shits on the competition.

It's also got the blueshift like hell, but somehow it just doesn't matter at all? Like if this thread hadn't gone on about it I would have been like "huh, screens do that I guess?". Complete non-issue unless you are Sheldon Cooper

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The real question is how you can objectively tell the difference between a circle jerk and the case where there is a clearly better option.

You've really got to question yourself if it's always a bandwagon to you when you own the thing everyone is making GBS threads on, but it's not a bandwagon otherwise.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I own a Oneplus 5. I think its very good phone but only because of its heavy discount compared to other flagships. I bought it knowing I might have to flash a custom rom on it and even though Ive been very happy with my purchase so far I'd be unlikely to recommend it to most people unless they were willing to do the same.
All the major manufacturers have had huge gently caress ups, including google but One make them on a fairly regular basis.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mega Comrade posted:

I own a Oneplus 5. I think its very good phone but only because of its heavy discount compared to other flagships. I bought it knowing I might have to flash a custom rom on it and even though Ive been very happy with my purchase so far I'd be unlikely to recommend it to most people unless they were willing to do the same.
All the major manufacturers have had huge gently caress ups, including google but One make them on a fairly regular basis.

Yes, given their price, I don't think there's anything exactly wrong with buying a oneplus besides the nebulous and arguable idea of supporting a bad company. It's undoubtedly a worse phone than a Pixel 2 and maybe the Samsung and HTC flagships, but if you go in to it knowing what you're getting into there's definitely worse things you can buy.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Thanks for all the advice, thread. I'll probably get the Pixel 2 next time it's on sale.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

I can't really tell if you're being sarcastic but I actually think the Razor phone is pretty cool and should be a better decision in the long run than any OnePlus device.

I was being sarcastic but I also would likely try this Razor phone if I were in the market. It looks interesting and there's a guaranteed rarity factor that the real obscure phone nerds (you know, that one guy who carries a Mi Mix 2) will appreciate.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I thought I'd ask here but this really isn't the place for it. I'm just looking to see if anyone else has seen something similar.

There's this bug with Oreo (at least on Pixels) that causes mesh routers to stop working intermittently. I don't have a mesh router, but I do have two Pixels in the house on Oreo.

Lately, my network has been a bit flaky. My wife and I will be websurfing and then suddenly things just don't load. Maybe one minute later things are fine. On top of that, stuff like my Harmony Hub and Google Homes have been having trouble, again seemingly at random. Things are just unreachable and then you try again and they work. When this happens everything appears to have connectivity. Dropbox shows connected, wifi is connected, but if I look at my available wifi networks I'll see the Homes listed so they know they don't have connectivity to the broader internet.

I have an Apple Time Capsule which has always been rock solid but it's from 2012. If I go into Airport Utility it will show a lack of internet connection and sometimes it won't even be able to reach the TC. The TC itself shows a green light indicating everything is fine though. The network architecture is cable modem > 24 port switch > TC with a shitload of devices both wired and wifi. As it is, I figure the problem is one of those three things if it's not this Oreo bug but I don't want to start replacing things.

I'm been putting off troubleshooting due to the difficulty in isolating devices and the outages are so brief that I can't do it in the moment. The comments on that link report users seeing similar behavior on non-mesh routers too and I was wondering if any Pixel users have seen similar unexplained behavior.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LastInLine posted:

I thought I'd ask here but this really isn't the place for it. I'm just looking to see if anyone else has seen something similar.
I've got two Pixel XLs and a C all on 8.1 and haven't had any issues. We've also got 4 Homes and 3 Chromecasts, and everything is connected to an OnHub. I actually bought a Google WiFi for better speeds at the other end of the house but haven't installed it yet because I'm going to put in a cat6 drop.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
That's the behavior I was having when my router was going bad.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Uthor posted:

Similar here- for us it was our modem, not our router, but the same stuff was going on.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

I was wondering if any Pixel users have seen similar unexplained behavior.

Not what you're seeing, but after resetting my Pixel while I was on vacation, I've noticed that the reception isn't as good as before. Of course, my router's also a dud, so I'll have to wait until I get the replacement for that to really tell.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

effika posted:

Similar here- for us it was our modem, not our router, but the same stuff was going on.

Technically, I had an all in one unit, so maybe it was the modem. :v:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'm getting redirects to phishing sites posing as popular sites. Its been happening for about a week now but only sometimes. Wikia, PC Gamer, and a few other sites you'd think would be safe.

I've got no rogue apps that I can think of, do I seriously need a virus scanner now?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Download an adware scanner I doubt it's a virus. Use adblock software like adguard as well

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

LastInLine posted:

I'm been putting off troubleshooting due to the difficulty in isolating devices and the outages are so brief that I can't do it in the moment. The comments on that link report users seeing similar behavior on non-mesh routers too and I was wondering if any Pixel users have seen similar unexplained behavior.

I have been having the same issue on a non mesh network. It's been frustrating because resetting the router doesn't seem to fix it every time. The echos and wifi cameras starting making GBS threads themselves as well. I don't even know how to begin troubleshooting this issue because it happens randomly and changes from not loading a page to going slowly or just freezing completely. Amazon app on the phone seems to suffer the most

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

VikingofRock posted:

Thanks for all the advice, thread. I'll probably get the Pixel 2 next time it's on sale.

Honestly, this is probably your best bet, especially if camera is important to you. It never used to matter to me, until the past year. I got engaged a few weeks ago and being able to capture things in and around that time in great quality has been priceless. I was never one to take photos, selfies or anything else, but when I want to be able to remember something important when I'm older, being able to look at beautiful shots is just something I can't do without now.

I always used to look at others' photos with envy, even the Pixel 1, but there's something in the Pixel 2 that's just ridiculously good. If you want to make memories, as a regular person, I'd put a gun against your skull and make you buy a Pixel 2. Its bezels are unsightly and it's not a great looking phone, but I wouldn't give it up for the world, not after the month I've had.

If you want to make memories with a phone, get the Pixel 2.

That's an example - I took that in low light in a jazz bar an hour after I got engaged, snapped it then put the phone away within about 3 seconds.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 4, 2018

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Tell me why I should be ashamed of my brand new V30+.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

No reason to be ashamed, but be wary of it starting to bootloop or otherwise fail in the next year or so. Just keep an eye out for it.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Honestly, this is probably your best bet, especially if camera is important to you. It never used to matter to me, until the past year. I got engaged a few weeks ago and being able to capture things in and around that time in great quality has been priceless. I was never one to take photos, selfies or anything else, but when I want to be able to remember something important when I'm older, being able to look at beautiful shots is just something I can't do without now.

I always used to look at others' photos with envy, even the Pixel 1, but there's something in the Pixel 2 that's just ridiculously good. If you want to make memories, as a regular person, I'd put a gun against your skull and make you buy a Pixel 2. Its bezels are unsightly and it's not a great looking phone, but I wouldn't give it up for the world, not after the month I've had.

If you want to make memories with a phone, get the Pixel 2.

That's an example - I took that in low light in a jazz bar an hour after I got engaged, snapped it then put the phone away within about 3 seconds.

Congratulations!!! Also that picture is really incredible, especially for a quick 3-second shot. Nice work!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

effika posted:

Thanks. I'll probably replace the Time Capsule first since even when I got a new Mac I didn't use my TC backups as I literally don't have anything that's not on Google's cloud. Of course I was thinking about replacing it with Google Wifi but if Pixels are having trouble working with that it might not be the best idea right now. :(

The modem is only maybe two years old, a Surfboard I bought to replace the cableco's unit that solved, well, exactly the same behavior I'm seeing now.

I will say this, the frustration of Google Home giving "Hmm, something went wrong" while standing there in the dark for thirty seconds waiting for a light to come on is wearing on the wife. I've been blaming Hue but it's becoming apparent it's related to my connectivity issue.

Thanks everyone for telling me what I didn't want to believe was the right answer.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Defend your purchase!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I will say this, the frustration of Google Home giving "Hmm, something went wrong" while standing there in the dark for thirty seconds waiting for a light to come on is wearing on the wife. I've been blaming Hue but it's becoming apparent it's related to my connectivity issue.

Thanks everyone for telling me what I didn't want to believe was the right answer.
A-hah! That may be the problem I'm having too...have an OnHub and 3 Google Wifis (repeaters). 4 Google Homes/Samsung Smart Things. Turning on/off lights is a mess and is pissing me off. Guess Google's stuff doesn't work with Google's stuff.

wellnoshit.txt

/derail

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

nimper posted:

Defend your purchase!

It looks good, it works good, it's got lots of storage, water resistance, and still has a headphone jack! I seriously would have bought a Pixel if they hadn't gotten rid of the thing. It's disrespectful to their consumers. My last phone was a 6P.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hotsauce posted:

A-hah! That may be the problem I'm having too...have an OnHub and 3 Google Wifis (repeaters). 4 Google Homes/Samsung Smart Things. Turning on/off lights is a mess and is pissing me off. Guess Google's stuff doesn't work with Google's stuff.

wellnoshit.txt

/derail

We used to have no problems with lights at all until December and now they are frequent. My wife thinks it's because we have too many Homes (we got two more on Black Friday) so I know that's when the problems started.

Coincidentally that's also when 8.1 came out, December 6.