Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Gort posted:

Wait, heatsink dropping interrupts scanning?

Yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Gort posted:

Wait, heatsink dropping interrupts scanning?

Sort of. Heatsinks dump all your heat. If it drops it all the way to 0%, you might notice your windshield starts frosting up because your ship is extra chilly. No heat means it doesn't show up on sensors very well. Sinks do take a second to spool up. Or purge coolant or whatever. So they're not immediate, and as soon as you hear the FWOOSH you start generating heat again, so if you're a dummy using a D-class power plant, you'll likely shoot right back up to hot and visible again almost immediately.

Edit: this is also why you'll sometimes be fighting a target and then all of a sudden you lose target lock for a few seconds. They probably popped shield cell banks and then heatsinks to deal with the heat.

Kurr de la Cruz fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 3, 2018

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Sort of. Heatsinks dump all your heat. If it drops it all the way to 0%, you might notice your windshield starts frosting up because your ship is extra chilly. No heat means it doesn't show up on sensors very well. Sinks do take a second to spool up. Or purge coolant or whatever. So they're not immediate, and as soon as you hear the FWOOSH you start generating heat again, so if you're a dummy using a D-class power plant, you'll likely shoot right back up to hot and visible again almost immediately.

It also had to do with distance. A DBS might be great at silent running, but if it's at 200 meters, it'll still show on your radar.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I'd give more of a heck about combat logging if crime and punishment systems were better. As it is I can't really blame the "victim" for taking the penalty-free escape because the attacker is giving up little to nothing to attack em.

Once C&P work (lol) it'll be more upsetting to see people combat log. As it is it's just a way of opting out of a poo poo deal imo.

Otherwise, open is great. It's the only way I've played since I came back to the game and it's been awesome. CGs are populated and you get to meet people out in the black. Especially remote systems - you kinda get a population of regulars you see at stations and new names are a big exciting thing.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

lol.

Do these idiots not get that FDev doesn't care because they are literally only looking for the people that are blatantly, provably, combat logging ten times in a row and task killing once a month is basically irrelevant? Oh right, no they are just lashing out because they are mad that they aren't space gods yet.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Edit: this is also why you'll sometimes be fighting a target and then all of a sudden you lose target lock for a few seconds. They probably popped shield cell banks and then heatsinks to deal with the heat.

Took me a lot of fighting time to figure this out. Didn't until I'd start targeting the heatsink automatically while the ship flew away. Confused the hell out of me.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

:discourse:

flair was: "trigger a griefer, combat log today"

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

osirisisdead posted:

lol.

Do these idiots not get that FDev doesn't care because they are literally only looking for the people that are blatantly, provably, combat logging ten times in a row and task killing once a month is basically irrelevant? Oh right, no they are just lashing out because they are mad that they aren't space gods yet.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

That's nearly as good as the people in the forums asking when's the Metal 2 port so the 3 people playing on Macs can run Horizons.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
I don't really give a poo poo about combat logging, but what I find troubling is that it provably demonstrates (again) that FDev isn't doing poo poo to enforce their own loving rules. Again, combat logging isn't important, but what about abusive language in chat? Like homophobic slurs and poo poo. That poo poo gets documented, reported, and totally ignored too. That's the real loving problem.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I don't really give a poo poo about combat logging, but what I find troubling is that it provably demonstrates (again) that FDev isn't doing poo poo to enforce their own loving rules. Again, combat logging isn't important, but what about abusive language in chat? Like homophobic slurs and poo poo. That poo poo gets documented, reported, and totally ignored too. That's the real loving problem.

I wonder what the venn diagram between people complaining about combat loggers and the people using homophobic slurs would look like :thunk:

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I wonder what the venn diagram between people complaining about combat loggers and the people using homophobic slurs would look like :thunk:

If it gets rid of the shitheads spewing hate all over chat AND gets rid of the shithead gankers in one move, I'd be perfectly Ok with that.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

:discourse:

flair was: "trigger a griefer, combat log today"

You should have combat logged on the reddit before you got blown up.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

So a friend of mine is picking the game back up and we thought we'd give the multicrew poo poo a go. I'm still not quite there to kit out a Python with turrets, so what's the next best, cheaper option? I did pick up a Gunship I'm happy with, would it be worth putting turrets on that?

I also have a FDL and a Clipper, but the later I don't really use for combat and more for bulk cargo runs (and will probably convert to a passenger liner for non-VIPs).

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Jimbot posted:

So a friend of mine is picking the game back up and we thought we'd give the multicrew poo poo a go. I'm still not quite there to kit out a Python with turrets, so what's the next best, cheaper option? I did pick up a Gunship I'm happy with, would it be worth putting turrets on that?

I also have a FDL and a Clipper, but the later I don't really use for combat and more for bulk cargo runs (and will probably convert to a passenger liner for non-VIPs).

Gunship can do a fighter, making it the best cheapest multicrew ship.

Nahrix
Mar 17, 2004

Can't afford to eat out

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I don't really like griefers or combat logging, or PvP for that matter, but instead of writing pages and pages and pages of reddit and Frontier forums careposts about it, I just spend most of my time in Mobius PvE.

Am I doing the Elite Experience™ wrong???

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Trustworthy posted:

I don't really like griefers or combat logging, or PvP for that matter, but instead of writing pages and pages and pages of reddit and Frontier forums careposts about it, I just spend most of my time in Mobius PvE.

Have you ever done a mission or CG? Well you’ve affected the BGS and thus are literally a coward because I can’t stop you from doing it and actually I’m not ganking, it’s roleplay*.

*when I complain about it on reddit.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jimbot posted:

I just bought one and I've been digging it. The Gunship has a large and two medium hardpoints on the bottom, which I've found to be a solid PvE config for three beam turrets on an Orca.

The Gunship build I'm playing with right now has three beam turrets on bottom, fire and forget missiles on the small hardpoints on top, and pack hounds on the ones next to the cockpit. Having another human there to manually modulate the beams (and an extra pip) would mean I would fly faster, maneuver harder, and/or have fatter shields because WEP wouldn't need as much juice.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Trustworthy posted:

Yes, yes you are. Because you're playing with Mobius instead of Diamond Frogs :v:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Man, this Vulture is fuckin' sweet. It really is a space Porsche, it even has that purr on the engine. I really missed being able to actually dogfight too!

Next step is getting into engineering. I've heard about Incendiary Multicannons and how effective they are when paired with a Corrosive Multicannon; still, do Incendiary Multicannons do enough damage against hulls that even a pair of them would eat anything smaller than a Vulture alive? Or should I consider using an actual laser weapon over an Incendiary Multicannon instead?

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

toasterwarrior posted:

Man, this Vulture is fuckin' sweet. It really is a space Porsche, it even has that purr on the engine. I really missed being able to actually dogfight too!

Next step is getting into engineering. I've heard about Incendiary Multicannons and how effective they are when paired with a Corrosive Multicannon; still, do Incendiary Multicannons do enough damage against hulls that even a pair of them would eat anything smaller than a Vulture alive? Or should I consider using an actual laser weapon over an Incendiary Multicannon instead?

Incendiary Munitions loving suck don't use them. They are garbage. Just use a laser instead. Multicannons in general are kind of ho-hum for a Vulture. The vulture is agile and fast enough to use the nastier guns. Try a fixed Frag Cannon instead. They hurt so goddamned bad.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Incendiary Munitions loving suck don't use them. They are garbage.

Eh? Stuff I've seen (EG: The unofficial manual) lists them as the best mod for multicannons. Being able to use the same gun to kill shields and hull is a big advantage.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
They were nerfed to only do thermal damage or something dumb, but the last time I took my Vulture with dual incendiaries out for a spin, they were still perfectly adequate for tearing down shields and wasting the power plant in short order.

Actually grinding down the hull to 0% is a waste of time against anything bigger than an Asp, imo. And anything smaller is unlikely to last very long anyway.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I don’t know if they’re the best, but I had two efficient MCs on mine and you could basically never pip WEP and always hold the trigger and focus on flying.

I’m sure if you’re a white knuckle pip switching FA Off cowboy you could do some nastier builds, but as a lazy podcast listener, 2x Multics are fine. It all depends on how much you want to squeeze out of the ship.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

If it gets rid of the shitheads spewing hate all over chat AND gets rid of the shithead gankers in one move, I'd be perfectly Ok with that.
:same:

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Incendiary Munitions loving suck don't use them. They are garbage. Just use a laser instead. Multicannons in general are kind of ho-hum for a Vulture. The vulture is agile and fast enough to use the nastier guns. Try a fixed Frag Cannon instead. They hurt so goddamned bad.
A point-blank size 3 fixed Frag Cannon is something to behold for sure, and the Vulture is one of those ships that is designed to be able to stick close to a target and tear into them.
Even better, though, is a Federal Assault Ship with two Frag Cannons and a pair of lasers to pew-pew shields away, even if it isn't quite as agile as the Vulture. :getin:
That one however requires grinding federal reputation, and superpower rank grinding gets painful pretty fast.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So what gimballed weapons should I use on my anaconda if my plan of all-incendiary-multicannons sucks

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Gort posted:

So what gimballed weapons should I use on my anaconda if my plan of all-incendiary-multicannons sucks

Just fill it with overcharged autoloader multicannons. By builds is a huge beam laser and then all multicannons. One of the small ones is a high cap corrosive for applying the armour debuff.

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

Gort posted:

A fixed huge long range beam either healing or thermal vent, 1small emissive pulse, 1 small corrosive ammo multicannon, rest overcharged autoloading multicannons.

The fixed beam is a good way to get experience with fixed guns and gives you something to use when the target is spitting out chafe. The long range effect let's you tag things from 5km out or more and with practice you'll strip shields on agile ships before they get in mc range.

The emissive pulse increases the targets heat signature and helps negate heatsinks breaking lock.

But you can do a lot more than just this depending on if you are running other power hungry modules or engineer for more power plant cap. Missiles in the mediums is fun and lock is retained when you swap fire groups.

It all hinges on the amount of engineer grinding you can put up with.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
Autoloader sounds like a really boring and lame experimental effect for MCs, but think of it this way: You never have to reload. It's like having a 2500 round belt. So, it ends up doing the MOST loving damage because you never have to reload.

Also, for lasers and PACs, Efficient is also a really nice upgrade path to follow. Long Range makes the energy weapons run hotter and take more power. Efficient slightly increases the damage done, but also drastically reduces the heat and power usage (both Powerplant and WEP capacitor) meaning you can fire for longer.

As an example, the efficient 5 gimballed beam laser on my Vulture build can fire essentially forever with 2 pips to WEP. It still hits out to 3k, and does its best damage at under 600 meters which is where I find myself anyway, since I'm jockeying to dump 6 frag rounds into some poor dumb fucker's power plant.

Missiles are also fun, and really easy to use, but they suffer from small magazines. Your sortie time will be very short if you pack a lot of missiles. You can reload in the field with minerals you pick up with your SRV, but who has time for that poo poo?

Edit: Another good addition for the Anaconda specifically is to put Feedback Cascade C1 Railguns in the small slots. They've got great positioning and it's the perfect way to ruin some fat whaleship's day by interrupting their shield recharge. Your smalls aren't doing a whole hell of a lot of damage anyway so you can just save 'em for breaking shield tanks.

Kurr de la Cruz fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 3, 2018

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I approach Open in Elite the same way as undocking in Eve. You're already dead.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

https://streamable.com/0e3c5

Axxslinger
Jun 9, 2004
somethingawful account
Request was from a few pages back but those of you looking to build Fed ranks should run data mission between Gang Yun and Hip 64706

Take frequent breaks for sanity

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Are station security ships bugged or something lately? The number of times they’ve inadvertently rammed into my ship seems really high. I just lost my type-10 because one rammed into me, immediately exploded, and the station and everything instantly popped me. What is going on with that?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

osirisisdead posted:

lol.

Oh man! This is a fun thread!

:reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/7nv250/serious_an_investigation_into_frontiers_actions/ds4qegf/ posted:

A lot of people defend combat logging, actually. Most of the removed comments in this thread are people doing exactly that.
You should still be concerned because this is a problem that has affected PvP gameplay since launch and still hasn't been fixed. Imagine what bugs you currently deal with in your gameplay that have the same longevity.
I think the only way is using trends to identify people for further review. If someone ALWAYS has connection issues when they're in PvP combat or when their ship is getting ready to die, that should show up.

Also :reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/7nv250/serious_an_investigation_into_frontiers_actions/ posted:

The “logger” account was active, participating in PvE activities like trade CG’s and exploring. The account was purchased in June 2017, and was played as a normal account for this timeframe.
A total of 5 combat logs were recorded over the course of 5 months. We did this to simulate what we felt a real player would do. No one combat logs 10 times in a week, they space it out when they run into PvP activity.

:doh::hf::wave:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I'm a big fan of the mods deleting and banning "suck it up cry babies" comments for :airquote: encouraging game exploits :airquote:

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

Why are people even so worried about their ships exploding when it's all of 5% or w/e to get it back?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is there a developer roadmap for upcoming content and whatnot? Their site doesn't have a clear picture of what they're working on like they did for Horizons's content.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Tsed posted:

Why are people even so worried about their ships exploding when it's all of 5% or w/e to get it back?

because there are literally no consequences for ganking people in this game and when rebuys start getting into the millions, that a not insignificant time spent recouping your costs so some manchild can get their rocks off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Is there a developer roadmap for upcoming content and whatnot? Their site doesn't have a clear picture of what they're working on like they did for Horizons's content.

I think it's "whatever the dead racoon on my dumb hat tells me - Sandro".

• Locked thread