Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

FogHelmut posted:

Yes
Metal, yes pebbled
Yes, paneled
No windows
Yes, also it's insulated and even has a newish opener

Looks kinda like my Clopay. Although my factory finish is hanging in there.

That crappy coat is likely due to lovely surface prep.

You can strip it with chemical /aircraft stripper, or you can gently wire wheel it down to bare. I prefer the latter, wearing a face shield and old, loose clothing to catch the stray ballistic wires. It goes fast with an angle grinder to drive it. You’ll need several cup-shaped wheels. Just don’t lean in hard or you’ll score the surface.

Either way, wash it down afterwards with soap & water followed by an alcohol wipe-down, then you can rattle-can it with self-etching primer followed by the topcoats of your choice.

You can go full anal by removing the panels first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Looking to add "shop lights" to my garage before I paint the whole thing. What would the best/easiest way to conceal the wires? I am guess I will connect the shop lights to an outlet in the center of the room where the garage door opener is connected.

Alternatively does something like this exist: Plug into a outlet and the other end is a light bulb socket (something like 4 light bulbs)

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 4, 2018

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

lol internet. posted:

Looking to add "shop lights" to my garage before I paint the whole thing. What would the best/easiest way to conceal the wires? I am guess I will connect the shop lights to an outlet in the center of the room where the garage door opener is connected.

Alternatively does something like this exist: Plug into a outlet and the other end is a light bulb socket (something like 4 light bulbs)

How big is your garage? 4 light bulbs sounds like a terrible setup. You should check out the garage thread. Costco sells shop lights that are plugin lights (4ft led tube lights) but I would recommend looking into wiring in led fixtures and putting them on a separate breaker from your plugs. I can provide links to what I ended up ordering and having put into my garage that I just had built if you're up for more than plugging in a few lights.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

tangy yet delightful posted:

How big is your garage? 4 light bulbs sounds like a terrible setup. You should check out the garage thread. Costco sells shop lights that are plugin lights (4ft led tube lights) but I would recommend looking into wiring in led fixtures and putting them on a separate breaker from your plugs. I can provide links to what I ended up ordering and having put into my garage that I just had built if you're up for more than plugging in a few lights.

Not sure the exact size but it fits 2 cars with no storage. There are two regular light fixtures already installed towards the back end, but then there's a support beam which sort of blocks out the front half the garage and the front half doesn't get too good of a lighting. Wouldn't mind seeing what you did with you, I don't mind doing some work but I don't want to do some crazy amount of work.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I have a 110 in-wall heater that stopped working. Raywall. Probably original to the house built in the 90s. It’s 1500w, 110. I don’t know if it has its own circuit, but my wife can run the hair dryer while it’s on. All my breakers are 20 amp. It was working fine, then I flipped breakers trying to find the bathroom closet light breaker so I could later change the fixture. Is it possible me toggling the breaker quickly could’ve fried the element? It’s a weird size, 11x20, or I’d just replace it with the $80 one with a fan on amazon. What’s my best course of action here? Think I’ll be able to disassemble far enough to get a multimeter on the wire nuts to see if the circuit is live before I zap myself?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

PuTTY riot posted:

I have a 110 in-wall heater that stopped working. Raywall. Probably original to the house built in the 90s. It’s 1500w, 110. I don’t know if it has its own circuit, but my wife can run the hair dryer while it’s on. All my breakers are 20 amp. It was working fine, then I flipped breakers trying to find the bathroom closet light breaker so I could later change the fixture. Is it possible me toggling the breaker quickly could’ve fried the element? It’s a weird size, 11x20, or I’d just replace it with the $80 one with a fan on amazon. What’s my best course of action here? Think I’ll be able to disassemble far enough to get a multimeter on the wire nuts to see if the circuit is live before I zap myself?

The only way flipping the breaker could have fried your heater is if it somehow got a short inside during the brief time the breaker was flipped off. Even then, it would have been waiting to fry whenever the power came back on.

My guess would be that its thermostat died, but the heating element is easy enough to check too. First, turn off the power then verify it with your multimeter at the thermostat. Next, just try shaking the heating coil near the end. When they go bad, the wire breaks. If one end shakes and the other end doesn't, then the coil is most likely broken.

As for the thermostat, is it mechanical? If so, crank up its temp high enough for it to want to switch on, then test for continuity across it.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
This is how the water heater in my apartment is wired. I'm no electrician, but I was under the impression that just pulling Romex out of the wall like that is a problem. Just how bad is it? Most of what I've found so far focuses on the junction box on the heater, but what should the wiring look like at the wall?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I wonder where that relief valve goes

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

shovelbum posted:

I wonder where that relief valve goes

It takes a right behind that drywall and extends through the exterior wall.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Toast Museum posted:

This is how the water heater in my apartment is wired. I'm no electrician, but I was under the impression that just pulling Romex out of the wall like that is a problem. Just how bad is it? Most of what I've found so far focuses on the junction box on the heater, but what should the wiring look like at the wall?

There should be a box mounted to a stud in the wall, and most likely you should have MC between the box and heater (not all codes will require this).

The pressure relief valve drain is 100% wrong and probably dangerous.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Toast Museum posted:

Exposed Romex is only allowed in unfinished basements or attics, and even then when attached to the joists or studs. It's a protection thing. Still, nobody goes around swinging big metal things around a water heater. That would be easy to bring to code for ~$15-20.

Your real problem is what Motronic said, the pipe for the PRV. PRVs basically prevent your water heater from becoming a bomb (there's lots of fun YouTube videos about this). Their pipes are supposed to be exposed so that you can notice it leaking water into the floor. When they leak water, it either means that your heater element has failed and is making the water too hot way past its highest setting, or that the PRV is getting old and needs to be replaced. Where's the other end of that pipe?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kid sinister posted:

Your real problem is what Motronic said, the pipe for the PRV. PRVs basically prevent your water heater from becoming a bomb (there's lots of fun YouTube videos about this). Their pipes are supposed to be exposed so that you can notice it leaking water into the floor. When they leak water, it either means that your heater element has failed and is making the water too hot way past its highest setting, or that the PRV is getting old and needs to be replaced. Where's the other end of that pipe?

The T&P is also supposed to be in the top 6" of water. With the rest of that install it wouldn't surprise me either way if that was an appropriate valve for top orientation.

Air gap to a drain is code in a lot of places but not all (to my surprise). Where I'm at it's also supposed to be black iron or copper, definitely not plastic, have no more than 4 elbows, no downsizing along the run and no more than 30" long.

kid sinister posted:

Still, nobody goes around swinging big metal things around a water heater.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 5, 2018

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I stand corrected. Ouch.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Re: my potential time bomb of a water heater, I looked up what I think is the relevant plumbing code, and I could use some clarification.

2015 South Carolina Plumbing Code posted:

504.6 Requirements for discharge piping.
The discharge piping serving a pressure relief valve, temperature relief valve or combination thereof shall:
  1. Not be directly connected to the drainage system.
  2. Discharge through an air gap located in the same room as the water heater.
  3. Not be smaller than the diameter of the outlet of the valve served and shall discharge full size to the air gap.
  4. Serve a single relief device and shall not connect to piping serving any other relief device or equipment.
  5. Discharge to the floor, to an indirect waste receptor or to the outdoors.
  6. Discharge in a manner that does not cause personal injury or structural damage.
  7. Discharge to a termination point that is readily observable by the building occupants.
  8. Not be trapped.
  9. Be installed so as to flow by gravity.
  10. Not terminate more than 6 inches (152 mm) above the floor or waste receptor.
  11. Not have a threaded connection at the end of such piping.
  12. Not have valves or tee fittings.
  13. Be constructed of those materials listed in Section 605.4 or materials tested, rated and approved for such use in accordance with ASME A112.4.1.

Items 2 and 5 sound possibly contradictory to me on discharging outside. Does that just mean that, rather than discharging into a pan, it could discharge through an in-room air gap to drainage that leads outside, or does it mean something else?

I want to make sure I understand the situation as clearly as possible before I go off and demand that management make changes. In the seemingly unlikely case that their setup is somehow allowed, it still seems really unwise. As someone with zero plumbing experience, how difficult would it be for me to refit this setup to something that might actually warn me of danger?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Air gap must be indoors, but can be diverted elsewhere, it seems to make sense.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

cakesmith handyman posted:

Air gap must be indoors, but can be diverted elsewhere, it seems to make sense.

That's what it sounds like to me, but like I said, I want to be as sure of everything as I reasonably can be before making a stink about it.

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013
Are there any nice looking tub surround kits that look like tile/stone that aren't over $1000? The Utile by Maxx looks nice but just the back wall piece is over $700cdn :gonk:

I have so many house projects on the go I'm not sure if I have the time to learn to tile on my tub walls and do it right the first time.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Someone sent me a case of Omaha Steaks for Christmas, and they're shipped in this pretty heavy styrofoam cooler. I was thinking of turning this cooler into something more durable for repeated use. Is there anything I can coat this with that would be a harder surface that won't melt the styrofoam?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Spagghentleman posted:

Are there any nice looking tub surround kits that look like tile/stone that aren't over $1000? The Utile by Maxx looks nice but just the back wall piece is over $700cdn :gonk:

I have so many house projects on the go I'm not sure if I have the time to learn to tile on my tub walls and do it right the first time.

It's actually very easy, OP. Get a scratcher, a nipper, a 1/4" trowel, buy about 150 worth of materials, and go to town. Check the tub for level, go a wall at a time.

Oh, and some sponges, 3 gal buckets....float for your grout. That's really about it.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
My daughter kicked something under the oven and when I popped off the access plate I noticed that the vent ducting had become disconnected. See photo below.

Obviously the previous failed "connection" was made by duct tape. I can try to redo it with a slightly better duct tape installation, but I'm assuming there's got to be a better way?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I tacked in a heavy exterior door between my basement and garage in an open 2x4 stud wall.

The whole wall kind of shakes when I slam the door, to the point that I’m worried it’ll crack drywall later on.

Am I bad at framing and need to reinforce that, or can I assume a couple hundred pounds of drywall will dampen it?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

eddiewalker posted:

I tacked in a heavy exterior door between my basement and garage in an open 2x4 stud wall.

The whole wall kind of shakes when I slam the door, to the point that I’m worried it’ll crack drywall later on.

Am I bad at framing and need to reinforce that, or can I assume a couple hundred pounds of drywall will dampen it?

If it's an unloaded (curtain, not load-bearing) wall that is somewhat normal. Drywall will stiffen it somewhat, yes.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Can I ask a heating question here? We’re in the middle of a cold snap here in NJ and chances of getting a service guy today out are low and expensive. Hoping it might be something straight forward.

I have a Weil-McClain Gold Oil furnace, converted to gas, hot water radiator / baseboard heat. Recently the heat would not kick on with the thermostats even if I crank it up. Though it might be the thermostat but it started happening in more than one zone. Thermostat shows it should be firing, the furnace is not kicking in and circulating the water. The outlet pipe to each zone is hot to the touch but the return is cold. (Varies depending on which zone how cold).

When I first noticed this I thought it might be an air pocket. So for the basement zone I opened the valve to drain out some of the water. Figured the system would refill that zone and clear the air (again, my assumption) what it did do though was (I think) force circulate the warm water all the way through the system. It seems only by doing that draining does the circulator pump kick in to move the hot water through. The return pipe then feels warm/hot.

Last night when we got to single digits another zone had the same issue and I just used the same method to get the heat to circulate to that floor.

Any advice is appreciated, I’ll post pics if needed, just can’t seem to post from the SA app at the moment.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

My daughter kicked something under the oven and when I popped off the access plate I noticed that the vent ducting had become disconnected. See photo below.

Obviously the previous failed "connection" was made by duct tape. I can try to redo it with a slightly better duct tape installation, but I'm assuming there's got to be a better way?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hydro-Crunch-12-in-Adjustable-Metal-Worm-Duct-Clamps-2-Pack-D940005200/303062193

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

Someone sent me a case of Omaha Steaks for Christmas, and they're shipped in this pretty heavy styrofoam cooler. I was thinking of turning this cooler into something more durable for repeated use. Is there anything I can coat this with that would be a harder surface that won't melt the styrofoam?

It's quite a project, but you could use it as the core for a West System icebox.

http://epoxyworks.com/index.php/building-an-efficient-icebox/

Or you could do fiberglass and epoxy resin. Not polyester resin though, that'll melt the Styrofoam.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I wanna build something like this:

I’m not familiar with how beefy Omaha steaks coolers are. I thought they shipped in styrofoam?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

MrYenko posted:

I wanna build something like this:

I’m not familiar with how beefy Omaha steaks coolers are. I thought they shipped in styrofoam?

Yeah, it's styrofoam. About the same quality you'd get out of a gas station styrofoam cooler. Just thicker. And they cover it in thick shrinkwrap to help it survive the UPS trip to your house.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

FogHelmut posted:

Maybe try a can of plastidip aerosol in white? It makes a durable rubberized coating, though I haven't tried directly on styrofoam.

Apparently the trick is to spray light coats from the appropriate distance, basically using as directed.
https://youtu.be/eBABqYL8GLg

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Plastidip is heavy in solvents. I know it can soften paint underneath what you coat it on, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it melts styrofoam.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
It's really one of those things that with the amount of money you'd spend making it a worthwhile cooler, you'd be better off just buying a cooler. It'll be cheaper, better built, and likely last longer.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
The stairs leading to the attic have a ton of insulation just hanging out on the right side, and I'm wondering if it's a good opportunity to practice putting up drywall or if there could be any reason the previous owners didn't cover it. The other side of it is unusable as storage space but generally speaking the owners were pretty good about not leaving things sloppy. Just wondering if there's some commonsense reason why they wouldn't put up a permanent barrier there.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

jackpot posted:

The stairs leading to the attic have a ton of insulation just hanging out on the right side, and I'm wondering if it's a good opportunity to practice putting up drywall or if there could be any reason the previous owners didn't cover it. The other side of it is unusable as storage space but generally speaking the owners were pretty good about not leaving things sloppy. Just wondering if there's some commonsense reason why they wouldn't put up a permanent barrier there.

I don't understand the purpose of that insulation. Is there an interior wall behind it? If so, you could look at foam board over it to get a bit more R value, probably would air seal it better too.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Gounads posted:

I don't understand the purpose of that insulation. Is there an interior wall behind it? If so, you could look at foam board over it to get a bit more R value, probably would air seal it better too.
I'm having a hard time picturing it, I'll take a closer look when I get home. The drywall that you see below, on the other side of that is the main staircase, so that makes sense. And on the other side of that main staircase - about 3.5' or so - is the master bedroom that has a high ceiling (making that side of the attic mostly unusable). So I think it's a blank space above the staircase between the attic and master, and so I guess that's why it's insulated. I need to build a sketchup version of my own house just so I can figure stuff like this out.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm replacing my over the range Panasonic microwave. Is it safe to re-use existing mounting brackets? The new one (bottom) looks just like the old one so I don't think fit will be an issue. The new model (NN-SD2915) is just a newer variant of the old model that we're replacing (NN-SD277SR). I'm just wondering if there might be any structural integrity concerns with re-using an old mounting plate.

EDIT: :hfive: thanks! \/

melon cat fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 8, 2018

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

melon cat posted:

I'm replacing my over the range Panasonic microwave. Is it safe to re-use existing mounting brackets? The new one (bottom) looks just like the old one so I don't think fit will be an issue. The new model (NN-SD2915) is just a newer variant of the old model that we're replacing (NN-SD277SR). I'm just wondering if there might be any structural integrity concerns with re-using an old mounting plate.

You're fine reusing the old one.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Anyone have any tip on what to do here? This is a right above an area where the ceiling and wall meet. When I bought this house I used drywall tape and mud and sanded it down and here it is cracking again.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Yeah get your foundation fixed.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Kanish posted:

Anyone have any tip on what to do here? This is a right above an area where the ceiling and wall meet. When I bought this house I used drywall tape and mud and sanded it down and here it is cracking again.

Is that drywall or plaster that's been painted 50 zillion times?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kanish posted:

If it's drywall, get some drywall screws with bigass washers and gently secure it to wherever your joists run. Assuming they run crosswise that crack. Then mud and tape it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Mr. Mambold posted:

If it's drywall, get some drywall screws with bigass washers and gently secure it to wherever your joists run. Assuming they run crosswise that crack. Then mud and tape it again.

Yeah it is drywall, I may give this a shot. I may try to use paintable caulk here instead of mud though.

peepsalot posted:

Yeah get your foundation fixed.

Google and talking to some people suggests this may be truss uplift. We had no problems through our mild fall and the crack just formed pretty quick as soon as it was regularly into 20 degrees and below.