Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
If you have currency and want to roll something new & spend as much as possible...

it's wander wander Wander WANDER WANDER WANDER WANDER WANDER WANDER WANDER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I want to stand over the shoulder of people who say they don't have performance problems, just to see if they have different tolerances or definitions of the word "problem" in this case

Like for me the game is perfectly playable 99% of the time, but probably some 10% of the time (especially while following abysses or breaches, or other high octane maps like double beyond) I will chunk from an unsteady 120+ to an unsteady ~50, with frequent dips to <10 even with the dynamic resolution thing turning everything into mush

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

802.11weed posted:

If you have currency and want to roll something new & spend as much as possible...

it's wander wander Wander WANDER WANDER WANDER WANDER WANDER WANDER WANDER

it's too bad that Barrage is such visual, aural and mechanical garbage because goddamn is it ever effective

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Good thing I never remember to do them anyway :downs:

Fixed

You also have them backwards! You trade chance orbs to receive scourings and jewellers to receive fusings.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 4, 2018

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

I want to stand over the shoulder of people who say they don't have performance problems, just to see if they have different tolerances or definitions of the word "problem" in this case

Like for me the game is perfectly playable 99% of the time, but probably some 10% of the time (especially while following abysses or breaches, or other high octane maps like double beyond) I will chunk from an unsteady 120+ to an unsteady ~50, with frequent dips to <10 even with the dynamic resolution thing turning everything into mush

The person who was having performance problems had a 1080ti. Stand on my shoulders all you want, but the game will under no circumstance go a single frame under 120 for me on one of those, my monitor has an OSD in the corner that makes it very obvious if it ever does.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Could I get a quick recommendation for a leveling skill/build on a Pathfinder Ranger? I'm in Act V, going Mirage Archer/Lightning Arrow/rushing Evasion Nodes for defensive purposes worked out great through the first part of the game, and killed Izaro, but I got royally destroyed by Innocence several times and I feel like my single-target DPS is a little lacking.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

The person who was having performance problems had a 1080ti. Stand on my shoulders all you want, but the game will under no circumstance go a single frame under 120 for me on one of those, my monitor has an OSD in the corner that makes it very obvious if it ever does.

Yeah I'm one of the guys ITT with a 1080ti and performance problems so I'm legit jealous if you really never get below 120 :mad:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

LordHippoman posted:

Could I get a quick recommendation for a leveling skill/build on a Pathfinder Ranger? I'm in Act V, going Mirage Archer/Lightning Arrow/rushing Evasion Nodes for defensive purposes worked out great through the first part of the game, and killed Izaro, but I got royally destroyed by Innocence several times and I feel like my single-target DPS is a little lacking.

The normal thing for bow and wand users up to now has been to run Barrage as linked up as possible (so in chest or bow) as your single target damage, and whatever else in another slot as your aoe clear. So try slotting that in, maybe, depending on your exact build.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
What's your CPU? I went from random big drops to almost never going under 150 when I upgraded from a 4th gen i5 to a 8700k, with a 1080ti on both systems.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cinara posted:

What's your CPU? I went from random big drops to almost never going under 150 when I upgraded from a 4th gen i5 to a 8700k, with a 1080ti on both systems.

i5 6600k , running at a minor overclock. I tried putting the clock back at one point, to no apparent effect on PoE

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I have an i5 2500k, 8gb of RAM, and a 970. I run the game at 1920x1200x60 nonstop just about.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Cinara posted:

Mine is a 7700k but it's in a small form factor with a tiny fan, so it's locked to 4.2ghz with no boost.

edit: stupid question but are you not running it on an SSD? it might be paging assets.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 4, 2018

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

My fps isn't a problem but my connection to the server is utter loving trash and it's enraging at times. DC server having regular spikes to 3-400ms from 40ms is not reasonable

E: regular meaning like every secondish it'll spike up to 400, then back down.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So I am doing maps for the first time ever, and it's certainly different. Huge packs of mobs, just need to figure out all the Atlas stuff and what I'm doing now other than just running random maps and daily missions I guess.

Someone mentioned that you can strip the Master enchants off of items in order to re-do them. I can't see any way to do that, can anyone share that?

I'm also still randomly dying and it happens so fast that I can never figure out what's doing it. I'll be trucking along jumping into the middle of packs of 30+ and doing fine, then the next pack will come along and I'm suddenly dead. A couple of times I saw right before I died after finishing a pack that it was to a DOT of some kind, but gently caress if I know what it was, and it's frustrating to not be able to see what got me so that I can at least pretend to be learning from the death experience.

Map question - what do the little quarter wheel things (Sacrifice at dawn/noon/dusk) do? I stick them in the device with a map and see no change or indication of what will happen if I activate it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

If you're having slowdowns on an Nvidia card try forcing physx to always use the GPU, apparently problems with the drivers falling back to you when it shouldn't be.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

hawowanlawow posted:

I'm starting to think it's impossible to get 2 green and 3 blue on a destroyer's raiment 5 link

https://siveran.github.io/calc.html use this

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
So after buying a faux 6-link elder helm to put my necromancer's spectres in I discovered a fun little thing about helm enchants: when you overwrite the enchant on the helm, your spectres all die. I learned this after buying a tier 15 map specifically to make decent level spectres for safer/quicker Izaro kills :suicide: I wonder if this means my Animated Guardian will die along with all his fancy gear when I start enchanting gloves, or if I'll just keep losing one spectre at a time when I do boot enchants. Good poo poo.

At least I'm running the variation with 3 flame golems so for trash clearing it doesn't matter that I have at-level spectres.
edit: not that it ever did, :lol: at Tukohama's Vanguards trash clear speed

Rocketpriest fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 4, 2018

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

The Locator posted:

So I am doing maps for the first time ever, and it's certainly different. Huge packs of mobs, just need to figure out all the Atlas stuff and what I'm doing now other than just running random maps and daily missions I guess.

Someone mentioned that you can strip the Master enchants off of items in order to re-do them. I can't see any way to do that, can anyone share that? Master needs to be at level 7, and it's only for that master's type of item (i.e. Elreon 7 can't strip off an enchant from Catarina).

I'm also still randomly dying and it happens so fast that I can never figure out what's doing it. I'll be trucking along jumping into the middle of packs of 30+ and doing fine, then the next pack will come along and I'm suddenly dead. A couple of times I saw right before I died after finishing a pack that it was to a DOT of some kind, but gently caress if I know what it was, and it's frustrating to not be able to see what got me so that I can at least pretend to be learning from the death experience. Could be either chaos or bleeding. Bleeding debuff will show up in the top-left corner. Always keep a flask of Staunching handy for that. If it's chaos, it's probably because your chaos resistance is at -60%. It's not the worst thing in the world to have it low, just be mindful of what chaos DoT areas look like. Could also be poison, which will also appear as a debuff in the top-left corner, and will stack. Curing flasks will take care of that, and Amethyst flasks will temporarily alleviate your chaos resistance problems.

Map question - what do the little quarter wheel things (Sacrifice at dawn/noon/dusk) do? I stick them in the device with a map and see no change or indication of what will happen if I activate it. Put all four of this in the map device to access The Apex of Sacrifice. This is generally a good check if your character is trash or not, since the various fights will punish bad builds. If you just add one to a map, it bumps up the item quantity by some amount and is generally not worth it.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 4, 2018

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The Locator posted:

Someone mentioned that you can strip the Master enchants off of items in order to re-do them. I can't see any way to do that, can anyone share that?

I'm also still randomly dying and it happens so fast that I can never figure out what's doing it. I'll be trucking along jumping into the middle of packs of 30+ and doing fine, then the next pack will come along and I'm suddenly dead. A couple of times I saw right before I died after finishing a pack that it was to a DOT of some kind, but gently caress if I know what it was, and it's frustrating to not be able to see what got me so that I can at least pretend to be learning from the death experience.

Map question - what do the little quarter wheel things (Sacrifice at dawn/noon/dusk) do? I stick them in the device with a map and see no change or indication of what will happen if I activate it.

It's probably a bleed effect, they do more damage when you're moving as well I believe. You should get a flask of staunching.

Yeah, thanks someone already brought this to my attention

This is my first league. Are special league monsters always as disproportionately powerful and annoying as the dancing blade guys are in this one?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Breach rares were kinda annoying (Esh and Tul, at least) because they would either constantly chill you, or shock you then obliterate you. It was a good reminder to protect yourself from such things.

It depends on the event, really.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

hawowanlawow posted:

It's probably a bleed effect, they do more damage when you're moving as well I believe. You should get a flask of staunching.

Thanks to both of you. I have the proper flasks, I just need to figure out a good way to identify when I need to trigger them I guess.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

The Locator posted:

Thanks to both of you. I have the proper flasks, I just need to figure out a good way to identify when I need to trigger them I guess.

I always make my life flask my staunching flask, so i just reflexively hit it when my health starts to go down. I almost never think about manually hitting my bleed flask.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Lechtansi posted:

I always make my life flask my staunching flask, so i just reflexively hit it when my health starts to go down. I almost never think about manually hitting my bleed flask.

Yea, I need to find a good life staunching, right now it's a mana flask, which I really need to switch out of anyway as I no longer have mana issues except in rare occasions when I can't leech.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I actually love the new league monsters, abyss league is all about the nasty rares. Every single one of them has big readable attacks and stands out due to the yellow highlights. Even the trash mobs have a lengthy windup animation.

Compare with breach mobs, which are deadly because they pepper you with tons of high damage unreadable attacks and ground targeted spells.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Since we're doing newbie questions - what is the the thing where a little spark appears on your head and just chunks you down over time? I've never noticed it before but it is absolutely devastating me this season. Weirdly I'm also getting nearly insta-gibbed by caustic clouds but only in the Underground River map - I have very low chaos resistance at the moment, but I'm fine in every other map while that one just drops me in less than a second.

The Locator posted:

To add to the above you can also put them in device by themselves and they'll give you a vaal side area if you're wanting to roll the dice on a vaal gem.

The Locator posted:

Yea, I need to find a good life staunching, right now it's a mana flask, which I really need to switch out of anyway as I no longer have mana issues except in rare occasions when I can't leech.
Don't bother finding. Flasks are very easy to make because they can't go above magic and have a comparatively small list of possible modifiers. If you happen to get one of a good quality, great, but otherwise just pick up a Divine/Eternal flask (actually you will need to find that part), transmute it to a magic item, and start spinning the wheel with orbs of augmentation/alteration. It took me probably around 20-30 orbs to make the Saturated/Staunching I needed.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

Don't bother finding. Flasks are very easy to make because they can't go above magic and have a comparatively small list of possible modifiers. If you happen to get one of a good quality, great, but otherwise just pick up a Divine/Eternal flask (actually you will need to find that part), transmute it to a magic item, and start spinning the wheel with orbs of augmentation/alteration. It took me probably around 20-30 orbs to make the Saturated/Staunching I needed.

Doh.. this never even occurred to me. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Re the performance thing I just tried a shitload of cleanup crap and launch options and stuff all at once, no dice.

Here's a screenshot some some (relatively light) abyss combat including the frame time and FPS counter. It's generally high but it drops in fits and starts and drives me loving barmy, and this is on the lowest settings
possible (except resolution but that doesn't make a difference). I tried to set up a situation where I was fighting for a good 30 seconds to make the graph accurate the whole way across.

(e at the moment I took this screen I was holding alt to screencap just the one window instead of both monitors, that's why all the item tags are showing)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 4, 2018

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Have you considered a stricter loot filter, having the entire screen filled up with item tags can lag a little.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

Re the performance thing I just tried a shitload of cleanup crap and launch options and stuff all at once, no dice.

Here's a screenshot some some (relatively light) abyss combat including the frame time and FPS counter. It's generally high but it drops in fits and starts and drives me loving barmy, and this is on the lowest settings possible (except resolution but that doesn't make a difference). I tried to set up a situation where I was fighting for a good 30 seconds to make the graph accurate the whole way across.

GET AN ITEM FILTER!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

Since we're doing newbie questions - what is the the thing where a little spark appears on your head and just chunks you down over time?

Do things get dark too? That sounds like Blind, but that doesn't actually deal any damage.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

No, it's like a little flashing fuse. No debuff indicator or anything, just my health chunking its way down every half second or so.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Have you considered a stricter loot filter, having the entire screen filled up with item tags can lag a little.

McFrugal posted:

GET AN ITEM FILTER!
Oh my god I was holding alt while hitting prtscrn so I wouldn't have to crop my other monitor and it was showing the stuff, sheesh

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Yes, but the thing about your screenshot is that it's covered in items and nobody can even see what you're talking about because of all the items. It's, frankly, one of the major problems with this game. It tries to make you care about loot but drops so many items you can't even see the screen. I bind show items to my space bat key so I can view them when I want to, but it's definitely a design gap. This is the primary reason that my favorite map is Untainty Paradise.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

pork never goes bad posted:

Yes, but the thing about your screenshot is that it's covered in items and nobody can even see what you're talking about because of all the items.
he took the picture to show the fps and frame time graphs which have no items anywhere near them

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Ghostlight posted:

No, it's like a little flashing fuse. No debuff indicator or anything, just my health chunking its way down every half second or so.
Might be an enemy using Explosive Arrow. A few mobs have it as an ability.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

Hey! Come back to the crawl thread, we're making gooncrawl. You don't have pms or i'd have hit you up there.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Awesome! posted:

he took the picture to show the fps and frame time graphs which have no items anywhere near them

Yes, thank you :)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So I've gotten all 4 corner maps (T1) complete with the bonus, and have started running T2's. Do I need to keep any of the T1 maps for anything, or are they garbage now? Do I need to hold on to a few just in case I run out of other maps?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Maybe for some Shaper/Elder stuff, but one thing they will be helpful for is trading up. Vendor 3 of the same type of map to get 1 map from the next tier up. That's one way to help fill out your Atlas early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ciaphas posted:

Yes, thank you :)

My performance with PoE is less than stellar as well. It somehow manages to be worse than PUBG at times which is not exactly a great benchmark. I'll run some tests but I wouldn't be surprised if things like the switch cases of strict lootfilters affected performance harder than the actual batching of the text of all items dropped on the ground. Or if there's some noticeable difference between DX9/11.

Dynamic resolution doesn't ever trigger when the FPS crashes so I'm assuming the game knows it's being a CPU bottleneck? I wish I could see the frame time split in cpu, gpu and wait for file reading.