Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I didn't even think to shake the controller as most captured enemies. This explains all the coins surrounding power lines! I know what I'm doing next time I play - capturing everything I can and shaking my controller!

This week is rough after binging on Mario hard last week. I have Mario music playing at my desk. I would rather be collecting moons than reading technical guidance documents and reviewing reports. Such is adult life, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

I didn't even think to shake the controller as most captured enemies. This explains all the coins surrounding power lines! I know what I'm doing next time I play - capturing everything I can and shaking my controller!

This week is rough after binging on Mario hard last week. I have Mario music playing at my desk. I would rather be collecting moons than reading technical guidance documents and reviewing reports. Such is adult life, I suppose.

Just bring your Switch to work and play it during breaks or lunch :unsmigghh:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Morby posted:

Just bring your Switch to work and play it during breaks or lunch :unsmigghh:

The thought has crossed my mind!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wildtortilla posted:

I didn't even think to shake the controller as most captured enemies. This explains all the coins surrounding power lines!
You can get those by just pressing B

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

What is the exact motion I have to do with the pro controller to do the circle toss? I feel like I have to flick the right side of the controller up to do it but sometimes that doesn't work so I spaz out and my hat just goes up. Unless I'm doing it wrong (which I'm sure I am) it feels harder to pull off on the controller than it does with the two separate joycons.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Flick it to the side like you're throwing a frisbee. It helps to take your right hand off of it when you do it to get the full flick motion.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Not sure if it was the way I was sitting but I could only get it to work some of the time. I never really needed it anyway. If there was a circle of coins or something, I just ran around and collected them. :v:

You can spin the left stick until Mario starts spinning, then hit Y. That'll also do the circle cap throw.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cobalt Viper posted:

Flick it to the side like you're throwing a frisbee. It helps to take your right hand off of it when you do it to get the full flick motion.

This helps. Thanks!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

explosivo posted:

What is the exact motion I have to do with the pro controller to do the circle toss? I feel like I have to flick the right side of the controller up to do it but sometimes that doesn't work so I spaz out and my hat just goes up. Unless I'm doing it wrong (which I'm sure I am) it feels harder to pull off on the controller than it does with the two separate joycons.

As someone who played the entire game on a Pro Controller, you have to just spin the controller 90 degrees quickly. I would just hold it in both hands and rotate to the left quickly and it worked fine. You don't need to tilt the axis of the controller at all.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cobalt Viper posted:

Or your left. You can flick it either way.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I really like what they did with Bowser's castle in this game

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

this might be an "alf pogs needs to get gud" thing but i found it way way easier with the joycons

There is literally one place in the entire game where you really need to shake the controller, and even that's debatable. (bikeless p-switch)

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Drewjitsu posted:

There is literally one place in the entire game where you really need to shake the controller, and even that's debatable. (bikeless p-switch)

bizarrely i did not have heaps of trouble with this one. the hardest dark side one for me was the invisible path piranha plant

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drewjitsu posted:

You can do it with a mix of triple and long-jumps.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

This RC car game is a load of poo poo. Please tell me you don't have to complete it for the 880 moon bonuses.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It's pretty simple for any of us who played RC Pro Am back in the day :colbert: Turn into the inside corners and don't bump walls

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Bloop posted:

Or your left. You can flick it either way.

If you wanna throw your hat~
You can flick it~

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Ok why do they seem to let me buy as many moons as I want after beating Bowser? Is there like 100 or 200 moons you have to buy and this is what you're supposed to sink the coins you've been collecting all game into?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
You can buy enough moons to pad your count up to 999, at which point you get a minor reward--nothing earth-shattering; it's about as rewarding as getting a sparkly jump at the end of Mario 64.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can do it with a mix of triple and long-jumps.

Even the first bit? I thought you had to roll through that section. I didn't even consider long jumping it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Shear Modulus posted:

Ok why do they seem to let me buy as many moons as I want after beating Bowser? Is there like 100 or 200 moons you have to buy and this is what you're supposed to sink the coins you've been collecting all game into?

Those are if you don't want to bother hunting down moons. You can buy your way to the 250, 500 and 999 marks. There's one regular moon per world that you can buy in the shops

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Drewjitsu posted:

Even the first bit? I thought you had to roll through that section. I didn't even consider long jumping it.
Long jump into a roll gives you more than enough speed to clear it without waggle.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
What does waggle even do to increase speed? Is it used when rolling in a ball? I just finished off the Dark Side challenges a couple days ago and never had to use motion controls.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I found that waggle while in a ball was the fastest way of transversal on a flat surface.
:goonsay:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I have 413 moons and the snow bound s class race moon is the first moon I've given up on. gently caress that stupid mini game.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wildtortilla posted:

I have 413 moons and the snow bound s class race moon is the first moon I've given up on. gently caress that stupid mini game.

Same.

I went back and got that as one of my last 4.

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

I finally tried the 2nd player trick for the Volleyball star, and it only took me 8 tries to get it :smug:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wildtortilla posted:

The second course or the first one?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Got 880 moons today, feels good man. I kinda don’t feel like grinding coins to get to 999 though

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Colonel Whitey posted:

Got 880 moons today, feels good man. I kinda don’t feel like grinding coins to get to 999 though

It's not worth it.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The second course or the first one?

The second moon in the secret (second) course.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wildtortilla posted:

The second moon in the secret (second) course.

When you get to the section with the walled-in corridor halfway through, bounce off the walls instead of the angled floor. You bounce much faster off solid surfaces than snow and you will just pinball right on through.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'll give that try next time.

I've seen screenshots of a T Rex chasing Mario through the city but I haven't seen that yet. I only have 443 moons so maybe it's going to happen later? Or maybe I'm bad at exploring New Donk City?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

Or maybe I'm bad at exploring New Donk City?

Yah. Only 1XX moons and got that. It's through a door I think?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

When you get to the section with the walled-in corridor halfway through, bounce off the walls instead of the angled floor. You bounce much faster off solid surfaces than snow and you will just pinball right on through.

fwiw to frustrated readers, I tried this after reading it here and couldn't make it work but eventually beat that race without it.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Shear Modulus posted:

I really like what they did with Bowser's castle in this game

Bowser being a massive weeb was definitely one of my favorite bits from this game.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Wildtortilla posted:

I've seen screenshots of a T Rex chasing Mario through the city but I haven't seen that yet. I only have 443 moons so maybe it's going to happen later? Or maybe I'm bad at exploring New Donk City?

Took me a long time to find this one too, and it’s not even hidden or anything, it’s just a door at ground level.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
The bowsers castle music is my favorite in the whole game. Am I a weeb too

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

co-op good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Colonel Whitey posted:

The bowsers castle music is my favorite in the whole game. Am I a weeb too

So long, weeb-Bowser!

• Locked thread