Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Countblanc posted:

this joke always confuses me a bit whenever it comes up (and "homework over winter break" jokes seem to happen a lot). not because of the homework itself but because all of my classes as far back as I remember, certainly all of middle and high school, had concrete endings at the end of the semester. very, very few classes stretched over a year, the vast majority were a semester long.

My middle school classes were a year long, though my high school ones were generally a semester. But that didn’t matter since the semester didn’t end at the end at winter break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Ballard Street

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set watches its weight...go up!

Working Daze also does that thing I just said.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix reminds us to Occupy Richie Rich.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://twitter.com/LuannDeGroot/status/948603250529521665

Countblanc posted:

this joke always confuses me a bit whenever it comes up (and "homework over winter break" jokes seem to happen a lot). not because of the homework itself but because all of my classes as far back as I remember, certainly all of middle and high school, had concrete endings at the end of the semester. very, very few classes stretched over a year, the vast majority were a semester long.
Also Hil stays the same age and in the same grade every year.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

same

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

FrumpleOrz posted:

Also, gently caress Gilchrist and I hope he never works again. He should either be in jail or live the rest of his life destitute.

My additional hope is that someone does take over Nancy, even if it's just briefly, so that s/he completely and utterly ignores/overwrites everything that Gilchrist has made 'canon' over the past 20-odd years.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Ms Boods posted:

My additional hope is that someone does take over Nancy, even if it's just briefly, so that s/he completely and utterly ignores/overwrites everything that Gilchrist has made 'canon' over the past 20-odd years.

The entirely of Gilchrist Nancy turns out to be the fever-dream of Phil Fumble, who awakens dumpy and still single.

Panel 2: He runs after Nancy, who has stolen his socks for reasons unknown. In the background, a cowboy hat lies abandoned in a dustbin.

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jan 4, 2018

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bloom County

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Simian_Prime posted:

The entirely of Gilchrist Nancy turns out to be the fever-dream of Phil Fumble, who awakens dumpy and still single.

Panel 2: He runs after Nancy, who has stolen his socks for reasons unknown. In the background, a cowboy hat lies abandoned in the r ubbish.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Simian_Prime posted:

Panel 2: He runs after Nancy, who has stolen his socks for reasons unknown. In the background, a cowboy hat lies abandoned in a dustbin.

Or it all turns out to be a horror story Nancy's been spinning for that poor guy who looks after her (or rather who is married to the woman who looks after her) when Aunt Fritzi is away.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 5, 2006)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 5, 1996)

Garfield Classic (June 5, 1986)

Tomorrow: Garfield immediately throws up half of it, and spends the next week of strips yelling and screaming at Jon for another helping because he can't understand why he's still hungry :cabot:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Ham Shears

The Creeps

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

With the return of Modesty Blaise, Ham Shears, The Creeps and Bad Machinery, 2018 is looking like a good year for this thread.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy
Gilchrist is doing reruns so I'm skipping those.

Dustin

Mandrake

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Tiggum posted:

Also Hil stays the same age and in the same grade every year.

I can tolerate that a lot easier than I can a strip like Curtis, where Curtis actually changes grades every year but he always has the same loving teacher.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I can tolerate that a lot easier than I can a strip like Curtis, where Curtis actually changes grades every year but he always has the same loving teacher.

Doesn't he just change grades into the same grade? Like, there's talk about being older and changing classes and stuff but any time actual numbers come up they're the same every year. So every year he has the same new teacher in the same new class and has another birthday where he stays the same age, etc. It's pretty standard in cartoons and comics.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Randaconda posted:

Bloom County

Well that's a lot less amusing now

Geraldo used to be a legitimate journalist, having lost his mind somewhere around the time a skinhead broke his nose on TV in the peak of 80s tabloid television; IIRC his decline will be shown in the strip.

FBI camel traders is Abscam, which will be referenced in a later set of strips.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Tiggum posted:

Doesn't he just change grades into the same grade? Like, there's talk about being older and changing classes and stuff but any time actual numbers come up they're the same every year. So every year he has the same new teacher in the same new class and has another birthday where he stays the same age, etc. It's pretty standard in cartoons and comics.

Mmmmaybe? But it seems like Billingsley makes more of a big deal about it than other strips, I dunno. :shrug:

And then there's this.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tiggum posted:

I recall at one point it would in fact recycle entire plotlines on a yearly basis. To the point it seemed like Curtis was trapped in a year-long groundhog day loop or something.

edit: except at kwanzaa.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2004 Spiderman

:allears:

The Amazing Cabbie

Magnificatz

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace The Brave

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Haifisch posted:

Magnificatz

Still creepy. Wish they'd drop this particular story line.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Simian_Prime posted:

Meanwhile, Fritzi declares, "God, country music sucks," and cues up Yeezus on her phone.

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Aleph Null posted:

Still creepy. Wish they'd drop this particular story line.
I think the internet has ruined you, friend.

Selachian posted:

Meanwhile, Fritzi declares, "God, country music sucks," and cues up Yeezus on her phone.
And then she finds her true love, a nice atheist lady.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 5, 1996)

Is Arlo doing Bill The Cat?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Or Reagan.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
The benefit of hindsight here makes this delicious. :allears: Is she going to bitch about kids not seeing the value of cursive next?

I'm not sure when these strips originally ran, but I'm guessing late 90s? Early enough for these newfangled computers to be the scary new thing destroying the good old ways, but late enough that the average kid would be doing a lot of school writing on a computer.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Haifisch posted:

The benefit of hindsight here makes this delicious. :allears: Is she going to bitch about kids not seeing the value of cursive next?

I'm not sure when these strips originally ran, but I'm guessing late 90s? Early enough for these newfangled computers to be the scary new thing destroying the good old ways, but late enough that the average kid would be doing a lot of school writing on a computer.

In strip time it's 1988.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

What is different about moon dust that an astronaut could conceivably be allergic to it and not to Earth dirt?

Lest you think you're the only one finding this storyline dumb and boring, here's the featured comment of the day:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

^^^^ Ugh. Instead of making big long-winded rants on bullshit and taking righteous stands on your use of the word "retarded," why can't people like this guy just say "You know what? That word is pretty inappropriate in this day and age, and I should make an effort to stop using it, particularly when I use it to make fun of things I think are stupid." Wouldn't that just be easier? Is it really that important to this guy?

Johnny Aztec posted:

Hey thanks, I was sorta trying to AVOID spoilers, but sure just barf it out first thing in your post.
My apologies. I wasn't thinking.

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

The description of the complicated cutting-edge technology here is pretty funny to me.

Hoover Dam posted:

In strip time it's 1988.
I thought it was way too early to say computers have taken over like that. In '88 I am pretty sure email was nowhere near common, and it certainly wouldn't be a way to communicate with Granny. Getting to do stuff ON A COMPUTER in school was a big deal, and a whole lot of kids didn't have one at home at all, if I remember right. My Mom would accept me making either a thank-you note or a thank you over the phone. (I usually managed to put it off long enough to not have to do either because I was an ungrateful little poo poo.)

F Minus

Mark Trail

Looked up snorkeling on Urban Dictionary because it sounded like something that would be there, and it gave that last panel a whole new meaning.

Mary Worth

I'm looking forward to finding out why Mary thinks Wilbur, "of all people," should know better.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 4, 2018

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Would this creepy surveillance have any affect on their chances of getting custody? I mean, "we know how he's been because we follow the Morgan's around and asking them about him" sounds weird. Especially when they intentionally conceal their relationship or motive.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Aleph Null posted:

Would this creepy surveillance have any affect on their chances of getting custody? I mean, "we know how he's been because we follow the Morgan's around and asking them about him" sounds weird. Especially when they intentionally conceal their relationship or motive.

I figure this is leading either to a "he loves his new family so much we'll let him stay" scenario or an abduction plot.

Probably the former.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Johnny Walker posted:

^^^^ Ugh. Instead of making big long-winded rants on bullshit and taking righteous stands on your use of the word "retarded," why can't people like this guy just say "You know what? That word is pretty inappropriate in this day and age, and I should make an effort to stop using it, particularly when I use it to make fun of things I think are stupid." Wouldn't that just be easier? Is it really that important to this guy?
Um because as he implied, he's using it scientifically, as in "this comic strip is running slower than expected." You really think he should try to find a better word than "retarded" out of ALL the words in the dictionary? Look at this snowflake. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Julet Esqu posted:

What is different about moon dust that an astronaut could conceivably be allergic to it and not to Earth dirt?

Moon dust is very sharp. He's probably just got easily irritated mucus membranes.