Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Mistle posted:

Blindness is a symptom of some heavy metal poisonings :eng101:

Fucker, that was my line! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

oohhboy posted:

Is there a sever harder?

:sever: :sever: :sever: :sever: :sever:

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Chaoshan Girl told me about her best friend's brother, who is now in prison. Their cousin has money and went joy riding in his fancy car, probably drunk, and smashed into another car and rode away. Since this is China, his license plate was caught on CCTV and the driver of the hit car demanded compensation for "injuries" and damage to the car. Instead of paying, the cousin went into hiding.
The police did the next best thing and took in a relative living in another city and put him in jail for the crime of his cousin. They know he had nothing to do with it, but since they can't find the guy who did it, they had to get someone. Now CG's friend's brother is in jail and the people who got hit are trying to get him to pay off the compensation. The cousin who did the thing will not come forward because he's lost too much face already.

Nov 24, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

Reposting from the /r/relationships thread:
<snip>
He keeps saying that Chinese people my parents age are so brainwashed and deluded they have no idea what actually happened.
<snip>
he just says that it's not a flaw to have conviction about your beliefs, and I'd be an ignorant person to write him off just because his beliefs differed from my parents.
:ironicat:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Chomp8645 posted:

Reposting from the /r/relationships thread:

My [18F] bf [20M] disagrees with my parents politically. Argued with them that an event my parents lived through where people had died didn't actually happen. Is it wrong that I don't want to be with him anymore due to this?

Bonus: this content brought to us by forums poster "Known Lecher" :lol:

what happens when r/Asianmasculinity meets a real life person who has actually battled real adversity

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Bajaj posted:

Chaoshan Girl told me about her best friend's brother, who is now in prison. Their cousin has money and went joy riding in his fancy car, probably drunk, and smashed into another car and rode away. Since this is China, his license plate was caught on CCTV and the driver of the hit car demanded compensation for "injuries" and damage to the car. Instead of paying, the cousin went into hiding.
The police did the next best thing and took in a relative living in another city and put him in jail for the crime of his cousin. They know he had nothing to do with it, but since they can't find the guy who did it, they had to get someone. Now CG's friend's brother is in jail and the people who got hit are trying to get him to pay off the compensation. The cousin who did the thing will not come forward because he's lost too much face already.

these stories are like Lord of the Flies without the bloodlust (not enough energy for that)

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

LentThem posted:

these stories are like Lord of the Flies without the bloodlust (not enough energy for that)

You should drink more hot water.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

oohhboy posted:

Is there a sever harder?

I just made this for you. What do you think?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Bajaj posted:

How is this accepted as normal :psyduck:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

VideoTapir posted:

I just made this for you. What do you think?

This is loving great

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

TTerrible posted:

How is this accepted as normal :psyduck:
But in USA they have guns and will shoot you. China is more safe.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Pirate Radar posted:

This is loving great

Just noticed I made some mistakes with the frame timing.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

oohhboy posted:

Is there a sever harder?
:murder:

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

ok i bought the first Rene Chang book. In the last chapter he talks about his family

Yesssss of course he's actually Malaysian

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

ok i bought the first Rene Chang book. In the last chapter he talks about his family

Thank you! I'm loving the picture of a shaolin trained grand Rene facing the fury of the Chang clan for a "ravishing beauty" :allears:

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Rene Chang being fiercely defensive of the CCP makes so much less sense now

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

angel opportunity posted:

Rene Chang being fiercely defensive of the CCP makes so much less sense now

Malaysia has a long history of racial strife between Malays and ethnic Chinese and he likely experienced discrimination if he grew up there. I can see him latching on to Han chauvinism and the idea of an ascendant China despite having no ties to the mainland other than ethnicity.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I always got the impression that he primarily just had a major chip on his shoulder over the US, and China's apparent rise in power represented a comeuppance for the unnamed country so he attached his ego and identity to China for maximum face gain.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Devils Affricate posted:

I always got the impression that he primarily just had a major chip on his shoulder over the US, and China's apparent rise in power represented a comeuppance for the unnamed country so he attached his ego and identity to China for maximum face gain.

Why does this seem so very familiar?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

People being massively pro-PRC while also not living there will always remain hilarious. Especially the ones who are from China and flee to a good country at the first opportunity. At least our own pro-PRC laowai put his money where his face was and breathed the poison clouds of Beijing.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The Leching begins

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

big time bisexual posted:

The USA has a long history of racial strife between Irish and non-Irish and he likely experienced discrimination if he grew up there. I can see him latching on to Irish Protestantism and the idea of a united Ireland despite having no ties to the isles other than ethnicity.
Putting it in perspective for North Americans.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Honestly describes plenty of Irish-Americans I've met except that you mixed up protestantism and catholicism

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Or did I miss your point and the joke is that the discrimination is all in their heads

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I love bootleg booze stories

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
cont

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I hate the way he writes so much. Please continue.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

I hate the way he writes so much. Please continue.

Really reminds me of the way Richard Feynman wrote for his autobiography.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
this is innapropriate

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Nonstop tales of illegal alcohol and ladies but somehow everything is just so joyless. I hate him but I do hope he's not dead.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
That's actually pretty interesting and I bet it never happened

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Bajaj posted:

Putting it in perspective for North Americans.

I think you mean Catholicism not Protestantism.

Plus Malaysia is kinda complicated. The Chinese-ethnic community (itself quite diverse since for a lot of non-han minorities leaving China in the first half of the 20th century wasn't such a bad idea) is very large, to the extent that they become the discriminating majority ethnicity in some places.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 5, 2018

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

:happened:

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I love Rene Chang. He writes in such a grandfatherly way. Like you have clearly lived a very interesting life, just tell me the good parts! You know he's reiterated these stories a thousand times over to his real friends and family, to the point where they've become about whatever point he wants to illustrate.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
penis

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Devils Affricate posted:

Nonstop tales of illegal alcohol and ladies but somehow everything is just so joyless. I hate him but I do hope he's not dead.

I do

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

This, on the other hand, almost certainly happened, especially with post-90s nurses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
For what it's worth, this can happen. XX "males" come from an error in cross over during meiosis where the X chromosome ends up with the SRY region of the Y chromosome. SRY is the part of the Y chromosome that differentiates an embryo into a male (by default, anybody without SRY starts developing into a female). It's rare but not unheard of--it's common enough that you'll learn about it in med school and I think I read they have to screen for it in Olympic athletes to make sure the XX women don't have an unfair advantage. People with this condition may have varying amounts of SRY expression, however. They might have ambiguous genitalia, and it is associated with undescended testes and infertility.

The whole story as described doesn't quite add up though because if he really developed a penis, he shouldn't have also developed a uterus and ovaries. Rene seems to be confusing/mixing with a second condition, XY gonadal dysgenesis, where the same SRY gene is missing on an XY male, leading that "male" to default to a standard female arrangement with female genitalia and uterus, etc. Generally though, they fail then to develop ovaries, and they wind up presenting later in life for missing puberty and failing to develop. That's also uncommon but not super rare, and any university endocrinology clinic will see a few of these patients. Typically these patients are easy to treat--kickstart puberty by replacing their hormones with estrogen and progesterone, and take out the streak ovaries due to a high cancer risk. They don't have any eggs to have children with, though, so they're also infertile.

The one way you might see this present is as a "true hermaphrodite" which is significantly rarer. I don't know enough to tell you if it could explain this patient's presentation or not. Honestly the only hard part about matching this description to a syndrome is that he says the penis is entirely normal. Everything else I can believe. I'll rate it "plausible" on the mythbusting scale.

Edit: Also that's totally how doctors write in their notes, letters, and literature. It's all extremely "clinical" and a little dry, but you can tell he's enjoying the story in his writing. You can refer to How (not) to communicate new scientific information for a good example of physician "humor" writing.

Cantorsdust fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 5, 2018

• Locked thread