Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

fuf posted:

One of the most immersion-breaking things for me is how you can sleep overnight in an inn then wake up and all the NPCs are in the same place. Is there a mod that moves NPCs to where they should be before you wake up?
That's a limitation with how the engine handles NPCs' schedules that goes back to Oblivion. While you're waiting/sleeping, the engine will not mess around with the currently loaded cell and everything in it is temporarily put in a sort of stasis. This was probably done by programmers so you don't get weird situations where for example a wandering monster finds the waiting player and wants to start combat.
In theory it might be possible to create a sort of wrapper functionality where you select that you want to sleep for X hours and then have a script loop over all the present NPCs, check where they ought to be in X hours and move them there before you actually start waiting. But as far as I know, the functions for that don't exist. So you'd have to create your own SKSE plugin for that.

Short answer: No, it doesn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Raygereio posted:

Short answer: No, it doesn't exist.

What about one that doesn't charge me with a crime if I murder the bard who's apparently been singing Ragnar the Red all loving night?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Surely there's a mod that replaces all the sound files for the songs with an hour of silence.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

lurksion posted:

I like this one - Cliffside Cottage.

It does have the requisite silly amounts of storage in the basement but it's ignorable (also I think it has options to hide the extra space).

The author has some other good looking houses as well.
Gonna give this a whirl. Love the fact it's in an exterior cell.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Has that new mod site put up any mods that just frankenstein's monstered some popular mods instead of there being a half dozen compatibility mods yet? If not, it might be worth the effort to attempt to do so if they won't be taken down by some pissy mod authors.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I know SPERG is the recommended gameplay overhaul, but does anyone else have suggestions of stuff to pair with it? I'm not looking for anything crazy, just an enhancement of the base game of Skyrim.

Also are there any mods that add more enemies to the game that are generally considered good? I always like putting in more stuff to kill but the quality and balacne with these mods can be all over the place. Back when I first played Skyrim I got a mod that added more types of dragons, which was cool up until I ran into one that projected a massive aura of frost that killed my character while the dragon was flying 100 ft in the air. That essentially soft locked my character since the frost aura somehow magically followed me indoors too.

EDIT: Also this is probably a :can: but is Bethesda's Creation Club even worth looking at? I have no problem paying for mods if they actually install effortlessly and run properly. I have serious doubts that this is actually the case though because, well, look at the base game.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 3, 2018

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Thanks to this thread I got back into the Special Edition of Skyrim and modded it like crazy. Now I'm having a blast as my OC Dirty Salmon, looking disgusted by everything, shooting down dragons and smoking weed while doing so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmpfT0Ebrjw

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
Do any of you know a mod that makes bound weapons more interesting or adds draining attacks like Nightblades have in ESO - outside just Ordinator perks?

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 3, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: Also this is probably a :can: but is Bethesda's Creation Club even worth looking at? I have no problem paying for mods if they actually install effortlessly and run properly. I have serious doubts that this is actually the case though because, well, look at the base game.

They install effortlessly, and they largely run without causing too much problem, though they're not bug-free.

Though the thing is that if you don't play on a PS4, they have very limited interest, as you can generally get better stuff from mods. The way they work by directly giving you stuff or a quest is also mildly annoying for your IMMERSHUN purposes, too.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Gimbal lock posted:

Thanks to this thread I got back into the Special Edition of Skyrim and modded it like crazy. Now I'm having a blast as my OC Dirty Salmon, looking disgusted by everything, shooting down dragons and smoking weed while doing so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmpfT0Ebrjw

The Well Rested message is killing me.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why should I be using the Mod Organizer over NMM? I can't figure out how to get it to work. I installed it and am doing the tutorial to try to figure it out. It wants me to install a mod now, but hasn't actually told me how to loving do that. It says it can associate itself with NMM links but it doesn't. The button appears to do nothing and despite confirming the message to use nmm files multiple times the downloads are still trying to use NMM instead. Trying to manually install a mod lead to a different error message, probably because I did it wrong but how am I supposed to know how to do it if it doesn't tell me?

EDIT: Nevermind, figured out the issue. Apparently the tutorial being active was messing things up which is probably the least helpful thing it can do for a new, confused user.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 3, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

docbeard posted:

What about one that doesn't charge me with a crime if I murder the bard who's apparently been singing Ragnar the Red all loving night?

Worth the 1000 septims every time

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Worth the 1000 septims every time

Best way is with perked lightning magic, so they turn into ash heaps.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Why should I be using the Mod Organizer over NMM?
The main advantage of MO is that it allows you to keep the installation of all individual mods you're using in their own separate folder. And they are kept truly separate from each other. Nothing is put in the game's Data folder. MO will instead use unholy voodoo (aka Virtual Filing System) to present all the mod's content to the game when it boots. NMM pretends it has the same feature, but it actually half asses something similar to Wry Bash's Anneal function via symbolic links.
I'm one of the biggest MO fanboys there is, but I'll admit that NMM these days appears to be stable and not getting updates that cause it to poo poo all over itself (or start DDoSing the Nexus' servers and the day I will stop bringing that up will be the day that stops being funny). So really, MO is best suited for power users and mod creators who want to for example direct control over how mods overwrite eachother or be able to quickly & easily switch to different mod setup or even a completely vanilla install.

If you're new to MO, these are probably the most important things to remember:
- A common error you may come across is "No game data on top level". This means that file path of the mod is wrong. The basic file path MO wants is <MO mod directory>/<individual mod folder>/<Mod content (plugin, meshes folder, etc)>.
For example: "\Mod Organizer 2\mods\Unique Vampire Dens SSE\", and not: "\Mod Organizer 2\mods\Unique Vampire Dens SSE\Data". This probably wont be an issue with most mods from post 2012, but even with new mods you can come across someone who packaged their mod in the old FOMM style where there's an extra folder.
- When using MO everything needs to be run through MO. Not just the game, and SKSE. But also tools like xEdit or FNIS if you want to use those tools with the mods you have installed.
- If any application that is run through MO creates a new file, MO will dump said file in its overwrite folder. If a SKSE plugin wants to create a .ini file when it runs for the first time? In the overwrite folder. Create a new plugin with xEdit or generate animation behaviour files with FNIS? In the overwrite folder it goes.
You can leave stuff in the overwrite folder and while MO will throw a warning it'll all be fine in most circumstances. But it's possible to move the "festering pile of mods"-thing that MO was designed to solve from the Data folder to there. Personally I'd say it's good practice to keep the overwrite folder clean and move it's contents to their appropriate mod folder (or create new ones where necessary). If only to save yourself the headache trying the find the .ini file that that skse plugin generated when you want to edit it at some point in the future.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 4, 2018

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Alright, after spending more time combing through the OP and the nexus site I've got my list ready for my first playthrough in years.

Just posting in case anyone has anything they want to say about mods they think are problematic or ones that might go well with them. Regardless, thanks for all the help from the OP and the thread. Hopefully I'll actually be able to play the game without it exploding.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Internet Kraken posted:

Alright, after spending more time combing through the OP and the nexus site I've got my list ready for my first playthrough in years.

Just posting in case anyone has anything they want to say about mods they think are problematic or ones that might go well with them. Regardless, thanks for all the help from the OP and the thread. Hopefully I'll actually be able to play the game without it exploding.

Horse Whistle.

Seriously, its a good thing.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Internet Kraken posted:

You probably should go with the unofficial patch, its pretty good overall. You can also look at Trainwiz's stuff if you want some cool quest mods.

Most of the rest of the mods I use are really up to taste, but those are a pretty solid foundation

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Raygereio posted:

or start DDoSing the Nexus' servers and the day I will stop bringing that up will be the day that stops being funny)

hahahah what

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

i knew it had skse for a while dude. i meant like actual SKSE that supports skyUI 5.0/McM. y'know the thing that all the good mods from oldrim depended on.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Legs Benedict posted:

hahahah what
Yep. Back in 2013 they pushed out an update that caused all the NMM installs everywhere to start DDoS'ing the Nexus' servers. At the time they hired some competent people to finally overhaul their database & server systems so those wouldn't collapse at the slightest breeze, and those dudes had done enough work that whole site didn't explode and it ended up being a good stress test. But still.

Here some more NMM trivia: That was actually the second time they introduced that DDoS bug in NMM.
And the next big NMM release after (the one that was supposed to give NMM the same features as MO but instead ended up being that silly symlink nonsense) had a bug where if you tried to upgrade from a previous version of NMM it could delete your game install folder and all the mod's you had download.
Basically when people give NMM poo poo in this thread, it's well deserved. Even if the current version works alright.

Dongicus posted:

i knew it had skse for a while dude. i meant like actual SKSE that supports skyUI 5.0/McM. y'know the thing that all the good mods from oldrim depended on.
My previous answer about using google still applies. You would have gotten the answer to your question 2 days ago and no one would have made fun of you.

But since I'm in a good mood: SKSE64 (or SKSE SE) exists and you can find it on the SKSE website. Save for (I think) some Racemenu functions, it has all the functionality of SKSE. The full SkyUI has been ported over to SkyrimSE and you can find it on the SE Neuxs.
Both are still in Alpha currently. The current versions seem to work okay and you can use them, but no one will guarantee it'll work bugfree at this moment.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Not really worth looking at, it's a cash grab. Apparently they do run well, but that's not hard since it's mostly Horse Armor 2.0 with fetch quests rather then properly meaty mods. I'll happily pay either for DLC-sized mods or professionally put-together mod packs, since I'm not just paying for content but also convenience, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I pay for a reskin.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Dongicus posted:

Again. all stuff you could've learned by reading the last two pages of the thread. This same question keeps getting asked, usually on the same page it was just answered.

Rynyin
Feb 10, 2006

H.Y.C.Y.BH?

I seem to be getting a trojan warning when downloading "Run for Your Lives". Is this common? I just started downloading a bunch of mods and it's the only one to give me a warning.

Win32/Peals.F!cl was the warning it gave me. Quick google didn't show anything for the mod and trojan together.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Raygereio posted:

My previous answer about using google still applies. You would have gotten the answer to your question 2 days ago and no one would have made fun of you.

But since I'm in a good mood: SKSE64 (or SKSE SE) exists and you can find it on the SKSE website. Save for (I think) some Racemenu functions, it has all the functionality of SKSE. The full SkyUI has been ported over to SkyrimSE and you can find it on the SE Neuxs.
Both are still in Alpha currently. The current versions seem to work okay and you can use them, but no one will guarantee it'll work bugfree at this moment.

Yeah yeah, you're a real internet badass dude.

Agents are GO! posted:

Again. all stuff you could've learned by reading the last two pages of the thread. This same question keeps getting asked, usually on the same page it was just answered.

Yeah it's my bad. Usually find Games threads unreadable but it was stupid of me for not even trying. Sorry for being that guy. Maybe get the op to edit it on the 1st post?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Rynyin posted:

I seem to be getting a trojan warning when downloading "Run for Your Lives". Is this common? I just started downloading a bunch of mods and it's the only one to give me a warning.

Win32/Peals.F!cl was the warning it gave me. Quick google didn't show anything for the mod and trojan together.

Where did you download it from?

Rynyin
Feb 10, 2006

H.Y.C.Y.BH?

orange juche posted:

Where did you download it from?

Directly from Nexus using manual download.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Dongicus posted:

Yeah it's my bad. Usually find Games threads unreadable but it was stupid of me for not even trying. Sorry for being that guy. Maybe get the op to edit it on the 1st post?

Im going to bug GunnerJ behind the scenes to let me help him update the OP, at least with links to the SE versions or Equivalents of most of the mods. I promise I won't change all the links to Goatse. I still need to make my "How to convert mods" post too...

Edit: It doesn't help that I find the Nexus new design horrific.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

What are the best mods to install that will spruce up, for lack of a better word, the core gameplay mechanics? I know morrowloot is a big one, which I’m going to try, but are there any other recommendations? I’m mostly looking for a reason to actually run/rerun dungeons and explore and get in combat rather than avoid it(this is an exaggeration but you guys know what I mean)

Also all the no/low performance effecting graphic mods you can throw at me.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

If you're running SE, pretty much any 2k texture mod will look better than what the game has by default. All Bethesda did was resize and add noise filter.

Imaginator lets you fool around with different graphic settings (Theres both a oldrim and SE version.) All of it is with in-engine effects with no performance hitch.

Thunderchild makes a shout-centric character possible. Do the voice quests ASAP, and work on learning more shouts. It really does own.

Apocalypse + Spectraverse + Dwemertech are pretty awesome new spellpacks.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Rynyin posted:

Directly from Nexus using manual download.

Report it to the Nexus staff, they need to remove that download immediately because that's not a false positive heuristics flag, like you usually see from poo poo like Trojan:generic warnings. Someone hosed with their server and compromised a file and they're probably going to need to go through their other poo poo too.

Rynyin
Feb 10, 2006

H.Y.C.Y.BH?

orange juche posted:

Report it to the Nexus staff, they need to remove that download immediately because that's not a false positive heuristics flag, like you usually see from poo poo like Trojan:generic warnings. Someone hosed with their server and compromised a file and they're probably going to need to go through their other poo poo too.

Sent in a ticket, hopefully it's caught quick or i'm mistaken about something. Windows Defender seemed pretty specific with it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Internet Kraken posted:

I like frostfall, because it makes going into the high snowy mountains a thing you have to prepare for.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Does the cape mod work properly in SE?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Which one? I have a personally-converted version of CLoaks of Skyrim in my personal use folder, I believe there's now an official version (but I like mine more, because mine doesn't make Khajiit and Argonain tails disappear), I think Winter is Coming has been converted (but I never really liked it, so I don't care.)

None of the Physics-Enabled mods have been converted, including the physics-enabled capes.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Agents are GO! posted:

Im going to bug GunnerJ behind the scenes to let me help him update the OP,

Please do! I will see if I can find the Pastebin uploads I used for this.

eta:

Page 1: https://pastebin.com/ATuaAMyp
Page 2: https://pastebin.com/ac6TujQA
Page 3: https://pastebin.com/dVYNWDhj

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jan 4, 2018

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Agents are GO! posted:

Edit: It doesn't help that I find the Nexus new design horrific.

So I went and checked this out and while I don't hate it, it does seem to be a design that is meant to be flexible, i.e., look good on desktop or a mobile device. Which is an... odd choice given the point of the site.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

I've been wanting to do another unarmed playthroug, this time with mods because I've basically 100%ed the game as an unarmed Khajit and kind of want to do something different and spice up unarmed combat.

What are some mods that change/make unarmed combat more fun or viable? I know Ordinator changes the light armour tree to have hit-and-run unarmed combat be a thing, but are there any other mods that change unarmed combat without majorly changing the feel of the game?

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev

Rynyin posted:

Out of curiosity did you download it for regular Skyrim or SSE? Both Nexus pages still say it's safe to use, and I downloaded this one for SSE a month or two ago with no warnings, but guess it's time to run a scan anyway. :(

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

A Game of Chess posted:

Out of curiosity did you download it for regular Skyrim or SSE? Both Nexus pages still say it's safe to use, and I downloaded this one for SSE a month or two ago with no warnings, but guess it's time to run a scan anyway. :(
I just checked out Run for Your LIves for both Oldrim & SE and both are fine. :shrug: Nothing shows up on scans and the archives contain just the mod files. But that doesn't mean all that much since the Nexus has multiple servers and perhaps only one or two got comprised.
Rynyin is not alone in this at least. A quick search of the Nexus' forum shows a bunch of posts from today saying people's antivirus popped up about a trojan being present in the download. Not sure what's going on. But the Nexus did have some issues where downloads got corrupted the last few days. For now, I'd say don't blindly assume it's a false positive and check what you downloaded to see if it contains anything out of the ordinary.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jan 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I always kinda wondered what was up with this line in the general "before you mod" section of the OP:

quote:

Remember, modding is basically forcing the game to do things it was never intended to do, and some modding tools use similar methods to computer viruses to do what they need to do.

I assumed this was a precaution that mods sometimes read as viruses even though they aren't but I'd never encountered it myself.