Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The cards with enrage just don't seem very good in constructed. It's too hard to trigger and they are all overcosted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

mcmagic posted:

The cards with enrage just don't seem very good in constructed. It's too hard to trigger and they are all overcosted.

I guess you would have to play him with the red Dino tutor that pings the board every time a dinosaur etbs

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

GoutPatrol posted:

Very true. As a magic player in Taiwan, I was very lucky to start playing in 2012. They had the first GP that year in over 4 years and it was a really big deal for everyone here. We got ones in in 2014 and 2016, but now we're getting skipped over again. When I went to Kuala Lumpur 2 years ago and played at a store, and they were asking if I could go to the GP in a couple months. In APAC where places outside of Sydney get a GP every couple years, it sucks for morale when you get passed over. For me, the only big tournament you have is the World Cup once a year, or I would have to fly out to Hong Kong or Beijing. I'm going to HK in October because it is the first Modern GP I can get to, but I'm moving poo poo around 10 months out at work so I can do something I really love.

I pretty much refuse to/can't travel unless I get really lucky and it's on 1 of the 2.5 weekends I get every year, and I still have to work out a way to get Friday off and give up the one chance I get every 5 months to actually see my family who all work a normal schedule on the other side of the state.

This got me curious so I looked up GPs this year that there is any chance I go to.
Pittsburgh: standard
Columbus (4 hours away): team limited

I guess they're only releasing the schedule for the first half of the year because??? so maybe there will be something good going on later in the year.

mcmagic posted:

Legacy is fine. The only problem with it is the cost and lack of event support.

Legacy is fine if your favorite thing in the world is turn 1 Deathrite or turn 1 Chalice. If you like a thing that isn't midrange snoozefests or skillfilly having 2 mana and a Chalice on turn 1, you're gonna have a bad time.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

It's an answer to Whirler Virtuoso but only against bad players

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

sit on my Facebook posted:

It's an answer to Whirler Virtuoso but only against bad players

I guess you could also snipe a Scarab God activation

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Cool. Wonder if it was printed w/ anything specific in mind.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
That seems bad. Unless you're about to kill that +1 counters= vampire tokens guy or still have four open after a big spell swindle the best you'll do is maybe hit a call to the feast?

Maybe it's good against anointed procession decks.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

fun edh tech

VgameT
Dec 31, 2007

therefore I only muttered "neu"

Rinkles posted:

Cool. Wonder if it was printed w/ anything specific in mind.

Finally, an answer to Dark Depths.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Opponent's Damnation with a bunch of things on the board, a million Revel in Riches triggers.

"Flash in Crafty Cutpurse in response to all the triggers?"

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My hopes of having a viable Pirate deck keep getting buried deeper and deeper. The package of Lookout Dispersal, Kitesail Freebooter, Hostage Taker, and Siren Stormtamer is so close to being something, but Temur Energy trumps the midrange field.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I've been trying to do the same thing with R/U aggro pirates or U/G ramp or even just using stuff like my two Kefnets or Cryosphinx sovereigns. There isn't much room to function without energy while it's still relevant.

Edit: U/G ramp to Sphinxes with Amonkhet/Hour pieces like Bounty of the Luxa, Weaver of Currents and River Hoopoe to survive until I can start dropping Glyph Keepers and whatnot seems fun but I don't know how I'm going to make that a competitor in the current standard meta.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 4, 2018

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

this is some garbage flavor text

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

DangerDongs posted:

My hopes of having a viable Pirate deck keep getting buried deeper and deeper. The package of Lookout Dispersal, Kitesail Freebooter, Hostage Taker, and Siren Stormtamer is so close to being something, but Temur Energy trumps the midrange field.

I think red-based pirates is likely to be better. If the lands were there to go three color it'd be great but there's just too many tap lands to do 3cAggro. I'm thinking BR might have some potential:

4 Daring Buccaneer
4 Deadeye Tracker
4 Fathom Fleet Captain
3 Kari Zev
4 Scrapheap Scrounger
3 Captain Lannery Storm
2 Ruin Raider

2 Fell Flagship
1 Chandra, Torch of Defiance

4 Fatal Push
2 Lightning Strike
1 Abrade
2 Unlicenced Disintegration
1 Vraska's Contempt

22 Lands

Something like that. I've been really impressed with Deadeye Tracker in testing, the card filtering is real and it's good against Gearhulks and GPGs and Scarab Gods

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It steals treasure, that's neat enough for me even though it's very likely not great.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Did anyone have a 2 mana Flash Deathtouch in Black on their bingo board?

This card seems pushed as hell.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Niton posted:

That has a lot of abilities and is a fine playable Pirate.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

There’s a ton of mechanics that only work in weird ways in this set like murdering your own guy.

The set looks garbage but less so than the base set, I suppose.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Niton posted:

That's quite a jump from "we don't want to print bears without downside" that black once had.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Flash Deathtouch works best if blocking but I suppose the combat trick makes it work best if attacking. The problem is your other creature is probably better than a bear with Deathtouch. Basically, the creature and the ability work against each other.

Still good.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
a 2/2 flash deathtouch pirate by itself might find a home in those quasi-faeries UB pirate decks that popped up before temur energy ate the metagame and ramunap red ate the scraps

I dunno, could be a useful roleplayer.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

People getting hype about Ambush Viper

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

GeneX posted:

a 2/2 flash deathtouch pirate by itself might find a home in those quasi-faeries UB pirate decks that popped up before temur energy ate the metagame and ramunap red ate the scraps

I dunno, could be a useful roleplayer.

It’s situationally better Ambush Viper but mostly just Ambush Viper. I don’t get it.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I'm not a RR expert but this seems a good way to sweep away cheap blockers/tokens and another way to just pump out finishing damage in the endgame

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Stormgale posted:

I'm not a RR expert but this seems a good way to sweep away cheap blockers/tokens and another way to just pump out finishing damage in the endgame

What a strange card. I might try it in my Death and Taxes sideboard. I have a feeling it'll be surprisingly easy to flip.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

First Strike
When Dire Fleet Reckles ETBs, exile target instant or sorcery from an opponent’s graveyard. You may cast that card this turn and you may spend mana as though as it were mana of any color. If that card would be put into a graveyard this turn, exile it i stead.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Pirates have some pretty serious 2-drops, boy howdy.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

suicidesteve posted:

Legacy is fine if your favorite thing in the world is turn 1 Deathrite or turn 1 Chalice. If you like a thing that isn't midrange snoozefests or skillfilly having 2 mana and a Chalice on turn 1, you're gonna have a bad time.

I agreed with you about Deathrite as I’ve said before. It should be banned. Chalice isn’t a fun play design but the decks that play it aren’t any good. Those cards aren’t ruining the format.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Tainen posted:

First Strike
When Dire Fleet Reckles ETBs, exile target instant or sorcery from an opponent’s graveyard. You may cast that card this turn and you may spend mana as though as it were mana of any color. If that card would be put into a graveyard this turn, exile it i stead.

Does this let you cast a cards with alternate costs for that cost (like FoW?)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

GoutPatrol posted:

I don't see why not, but you'd have to be able to pay the alternate cost since this effect doesn't change or mitigate alternate costs. So if you hit FoW with this you'd need either [5] or a blue card in hand to exile.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

GoutPatrol posted:

Yeah kind of like Gonti and something like emerge costs

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Each player chooses any number of creatures under his or her control with a total power of 4 or less, then sacrifices all other creatures under his or her control.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

Tainen posted:

First Strike

Wow, this seems almost playable in Modern as Snapcaster 5-8 (more likely 5 and 6) but then you get matched up against a deck like Affinity or Bogles and it's just Youthful Knight. Still feel like snapping up a playset isn't the worst idea though.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Tainen posted:

First Strike

lol this is what we get as red’s version of Snapcaster Mage.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Disperse in the Wind 2U
Instant
Exile target nonland permanent. For as long as that card remains exiled, it's owner may cast it without paying its mana cost.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Tainen posted:

Disperse in the Wind 2U
Instant
Exile target nonland permanent. For as long as that card remains exiled, it's owner may cast it without paying its mana cost.

What a weird goddamn card.
It’s significantly worse than Unsummon against your opponent’s creatures but sometimes better with your own, I guess. Why is this rare?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tainen posted:

First Strike

If this card had flash it would almost be fringe playable outside of standard right away.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Entropic posted:

What a weird goddamn card.
It’s significantly worse than Unsummon against your opponent’s creatures but sometimes better with your own, I guess. Why is this rare?

There might be some broken things you can do with it like using a Planeswalker ability then using this to flash it back and use it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Tainen posted:

There might be some broken things you can do with it like using a Planeswalker ability then using this to flash it back and use it again.

The thing I’d want to do with it with planeswalkers is use a powerful minus that leaves my PW low on loyalty and vulnerable to attack, then blink it when they attack it with creatures on their turn.

Still seems impossible kind of niche and 3 mana is a lot for what’s often gonna just be a bad unsummon.