Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I didn't see it come up yet, but apparently these franchisees are the daughter and son-in-law of Tim himself. It's incredible.

Other way round, son and daughter-in-law-who-happens-to-also-be-Tim-Horton's-actual-daughter. The "Ron Joyce Jr." in "Ron Joyce Jr. Enterprises Ltd. (Tim Hortons)" is the son of billionaire Tim Hortons founder Ron Joyce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wirth1000 posted:

When I'm Prime Minister I will make it that the only way for anyone to purchase a pick-up truck is if they are commercially registered vehicles. All current personal pickup truck drivers will have 12 months to surrender their truck or face discipline via guillotine.

I'd be commercially registered so I dont care. Where I am 80% of families own a pickup or a pickup-frame SUV. I think most of you are way underestimating what its like driving on 6-12 inches of unplowed, yet compacted snow. Your Miata/Sentra/Corolla will 100% bottom out and get stuck before a highway

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

zapplez posted:

The 80s were a different time. modern cars are much lower for fuel economy reasons. A 2010 toyota corolla cannot get past 8 inches of snow, its simple ground clearance.

We don't get 8 inches of snow that often in Ottawa, but my Nissan Note made it up the (gentle) hill no problem when the street had decent amounts of snow :shrug:

I'm loving the suggestions re: truck insurance :toot:

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

vyelkin posted:

Other way round, son and daughter-in-law-who-happens-to-also-be-Tim-Horton's-actual-daughter. The "Ron Joyce Jr." in "Ron Joyce Jr. Enterprises Ltd. (Tim Hortons)" is the son of billionaire Tim Hortons founder Ron Joyce.

So is it fair to assume the couple weren't struggling financially to begin with? Ugh.

My partner is related to a rural sporting goods store owner and an exec for a fancy grocery chain. Even though analyses have shown minimal impacts for large corporations - surely this is somewhat applicable to smaller businesses - conversations during the holidays were all about the min wage apocalypse
:qq:

It sure sucks that better wages for their employees might slightly inconvenience them.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

vyelkin posted:

Ronnie Joyce Sr. went to school with my grandma and at their 60th high school reunion, showed up with a 20-30 yr old woman and remarked that my grandma had the best butt in high school which is not something I really expected to hear about in my life. Fox Harbour in Nova Scotia has a golf course that Joyce owns that has been host to Bill Clinton and Tiger woods in the past (00s).

Basically what I'm saying is the Joyce's reek of sleeze.

Weird BIAS fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 4, 2018

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
https://twitter.com/Justin_Ling/status/948647889861054464

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Aug 26, 2018

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

You know you can trust somebody whose middle name is Blockchain.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
a lot of people buy 2 wheel drive trucks because they're cheaper and theres pretty much nothing worse in the snow than a rear wheel drive truck with no payload lol

when i was belleville over christmas it was unreal the number of trucks i saw sliding all over the goddamn place.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

zapplez posted:

I'd be commercially registered so I dont care. Where I am 80% of families own a pickup or a pickup-frame SUV. I think most of you are way underestimating what its like driving on 6-12 inches of unplowed, yet compacted snow. Your Miata/Sentra/Corolla will 100% bottom out and get stuck before a highway

My parents have a cottage in a dinky little town at the feet of the mountains that never gets plowed. They got three feet of snow and I drove right up to their front door in my Corolla. I'd like to see these roads you drive on where there is a two foot hill in the middle of the road that makes it so the wheels can't hit the ground on a normal car but the road still hits the frame.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 4, 2018

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car

RBC posted:

a lot of people buy 2 wheel drive trucks because they're cheaper and theres pretty much nothing worse in the snow than a rear wheel drive truck with no payload lol

when i was belleville over christmas it was unreal the number of trucks i saw sliding all over the goddamn place.

Can confirm, I drive a 18 year old Ford Ranger that's 2WD with an open diff and I'm scared to park in my back lane because I got stuck multiple times last year.

My insurance is also ~$60 a month, thanks MPI!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
That week I commuted I had an empty bed and didn't want to leave it in 4WD the entire time and every traffic light became a game of 'let's try to not make the traction control light blink'

It was a very very difficult game.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

1500quidporsche posted:

My parents have a cottage in a dinky little town at the feet of the mountains that never gets plowed. They got three feet of snow and I drove right up to their front door in my Corolla. I'd like to see these roads you drive on where there is a two foot hill in the middle of the road that makes it so the wheels can't hit the ground on a normal car but the road still hits the frame.

Yup, up until this year I lived in a loving ski resort driving a Prius; the city would often take all day to get to our street so I’d have to drive out in feet of unplowed snow all the time, never got stuck.

Oh, and I live halfway up a relatively steep hill, too.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

1500quidporsche posted:

Roads beside flat farm fields are terrible for that. Wind makes these snow drifts that are super compacted. I've got stuck in those fuckers a couple of times because they're denser than a black hole.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

There's gotta be a story behind that avatar.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Ya the other side of the coin of 'trucks are no better than a tiny econobox in the winter' is situations like having to smash your way over the windrow the morning after the plows have gone down the A roads but you need to go down the adjacent B road to the grain elevator you need to get to for work.

I tore the air splitter off of a rental car that way once.

There are cases where there's no substitute for decent ground clearance.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I've never gotten stuck in my goddamn life driving exclusively sedans / hatch backs. Never AWD.
I've been through some pretty deep poo poo and I credit my record to having a brain. Like if a plow went by my street maybe I'll wait until there are no cars so I can hit the wall at speed?*
I've seen a lot of AWD SUVs and trucks stuck in traps that I just plow through.

That said if I were driving around loving northern Ontario or something where there's no road service at all then I'd probably get something taller.

*Don't try this if there's any wetness to the snow or you're gonna have an expensive repair

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wistful of Dollars posted:

There's gotta be a story behind that avatar.

I get a new avatar bought for me like every three months. I've been saying anime is bad lately.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
After I got snow tires for my 2010 Ford Focus I never got stuck driving around Winnipeg/Rural Manitoba/Brandon again regardless of snow conditions. :shrug:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

1500quidporsche posted:

I get a new avatar bought for me like every three months. I've been saying anime is bad lately.

:golfclap: well done

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

I usually carry a shovel to take care of densely packed snow walls.

As far as I'm concerned, the biggest hazard about driving on unplowed country roads was having to guess where the ditch on both sides began. Never got stuck but I have vivid memories of some stressful drives :stonk:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

After I got snow tires for my 2010 Ford Focus I never got stuck driving around Winnipeg/Rural Manitoba/Brandon again regardless of snow conditions. :shrug:

I got stuck once parking at the U of M last year.

It's a bizarre feeling to pull out a snow shovel so you can move your car 10 feet to park.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

zapplez posted:

Your Miata/Sentra/Corolla will 100% bottom out and get stuck before a highway

Except, you know, it didn't. You're saying Multiple people here with experience that contradicts what you're saying. Are you more likely to get stuck? Sure, but acting like it's simply impossible without pickup truck/suv ground clearance is wrong. I've seen SUV's get stuck in snow that I had no trouble with in the miata, and it was entirely due to tire choice.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

TheKingofSprings posted:

I got stuck once parking at the U of M last year.

It's a bizarre feeling to pull out a snow shovel so you can move your car 10 feet to park.

The most surprising part of this story to me is that you found parking at the U of M

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Basic income, just not universal

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-proposes-basic-income-poverty-economic-plan-1.4441986

quote:

Quebec to offer basic income for 84,000 people unable to work

Couillard government will spend $3B over several years in fight against poverty

Quebecers who have a severely limited capacity to work will gradually be able to access a guaranteed minimum income beginning next year, Premier Philippe Couillard's government announced Sunday.

The measure is part of a $3-billion action plan to fight poverty and promote "economic inclusion," but falls short of offering a basic income for all Quebecers, a demand of many anti-poverty groups.

An estimated 84,000 Quebecers would qualify for the minimum income measure, largely those with physical and intellectual disabilities.

Of the 84,000, the vast majority are single people, long a neglected demographic when it comes to poverty reduction programs in Quebec.

By next year, they will see their government assistance increased by at least $73 per month. That figure will reach $440 per month by 2023, bringing their annual guaranteed minimum to $18,029.

The Couillard government also plans to table a bill to amend the Social Aid Act in order to guarantee its basic income provisions.

"We cannot just support employment," said Couillard. "Employment is not the only solution to get out of poverty. It also takes measures like the ones in front of us today."

Parti Québécois Leader Jean-Francois Lisée criticized the proposed basic income measure, saying it only benefits a small portion of the population.

"We're far from the general idea of guaranteed minimum income," he said.

Focus on the job market
The government's anti-poverty plan also proposes additional funding for existing programs, including $286 million for social housing projects and $580 million for social benefits.

Single Quebecers who receive social benefits will see it increased by $180 per year by 2018. In 2021, they will receive about $540 annually.

The plan also includes $40 million to create more kindergarten classes in low-income areas and $300,000 for mental health initiatives.

Many of the measures announced Sunday either encourage low-income Quebecers to enter the job market or help them stay employed.

This includes $1.8 million in funding to improve the digital skills of those living in poverty and nearly $34 million for Quebecers who receive social assistance and want to learn more skills.

The measures also come one year after the Couillard government introduced controversial new rules that penalized social assistance recipients who failed to take steps to find a job.

The $3 billion in spending will be spread out over several years, with the goal of helping 100,000 Quebecers out of poverty by 2023.

In Quebec, an estimated 802,000 people currently live below the poverty line of $18,000 per year for a single person.

Lukewarm reception
Some anti-poverty activists claim the measures don't go far enough to help low-income Quebecers.

Serge Petitclerc, the spokesperson for the Collectif pour un Québec sans pauvreté, said that while those who have severe limitations preventing them from working will receive support, others living in poverty are expected to find employment.

"They're not tackling other categories of people in social need or people living in poverty," said Petitclerc. "It's as if they're creating a division and emphasizing that division."

Basic income should also apply to all Quebecers without conditions, he added.

"By limiting it to a single category of people in Quebec, we're missing the point," he said. "Because one of the primary characteristics of guaranteed minimum income is that it should be unconditional and it should apply to the entire population.

"That's not what's happening right now."

Jean-Paul Faniel, co-ordinator for the Table de concertation sur la faim et le développement social du Montréal métropolitain, said the government's goal "lacks ambition."

"The portrait of poverty is not numbers," he said. "Poverty is people struggling, who are coming from pain and the misery of staying afloat. Poverty is accompanied by a life of misery every day."

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Also looks like Sunset Grill is using the minimum wage to do some good old fashioned wage theft. :waycool:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dreylad posted:

Also looks like Sunset Grill is using the minimum wage to do some good old fashioned wage theft. :waycool:

Link?

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

I’m fine with the back of house getting a larger portion of the tips.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Oh please tell me they included management in that definition, my pitchfork's rusting over here.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

https://news.vice.com/en_ca/article/j5vj43/sunset-grill-employees-say-chain-is-punishing-them-for-ontarios-minimum-wage-hike

I used to work at a bowling alley with a family restaurant. They had a deal where you could do like birthday parties with an hour and a half bowling and pizza party after.

40 kids get handed off after i've already taken their pizza order. Parents tip the waitress who did little to no work and I didn't see a dime.

Suddenly there were a bunch of parents that wanted to do pizza then bowling and I started getting the tips.

"Wheres our money?! This is bullshit!"

Servers need to realize they arent the backbone of the industry, they are a large part but the whole

quote:

“We basically run the restaurant,” a server said. “At the end of the day, this is an insult. We work our asses off.”

Mentality can get hosed

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 5, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Any restaurant that isn't splitting the tips between the front and back can get hosed.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah, but what the Sunset Grill is doing is charging wait staff five percent of the diner’s bill (before tax), so the wait staff has to pay even if the diner doesn't tip, which is hosed up.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Having industries built on tipping shouldn't be legal in the first place, it's an incredibly toxic custom that plenty of countries with far better labour standards do very well without.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
If the minimum wage increase affects servers more than it affects kitchen staff, then it makes sense to increase the tip out percentage that goes to the back of the house in order to ensure both groups see an equal increase.

Obviously I have no way of knowing if that's what Sunset Grill is doing there. It's just as likely that they are being capitalist scum. The article alleges that the amount taken by the restaurant for tip outs is much higher than the amount paid out to the kitchen staff, so they may well just be stealing wages.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Quote is not edit.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
What they're doing is not pooling tips, they're billing servers for a portion of each cheque and handing that to back of house, if the server gets no tip they're still paying 5% of that cheque out of pocket.

A tip pool is literally a pool of tips, you can divide it among front and back end staff at whatever percentage, but it's not coming out of anyone's wage.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 5, 2018

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

Aren't kitchen staff typically earning a lot less than waiters/waitresses?

It was the case in my own very limited experience...

e: I meant to reply to Jimbozig. Min wage increase would affect kitchen staff more than wait staff who rely on tips (as opposed to a better compensation system).

EvidenceBasedQuack fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 5, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
If you include tips, yes, that seems to be pretty common. I'm not sure if they can be given the server min wage though, so their base wage should be higher.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

infernal machines posted:

If you include tips, yes, that seems to be pretty common. They don't (or shouldn't) have a reduced min wage though, so their base pay is higher.

In Quebec and Ontario, the minimum wage is lower for waiters (e.g. receiving tips or serving alcohol). But, yes, I meant that they have better wages if you include tips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

McGavin posted:

Yeah, but what the Sunset Grill is doing is charging wait staff five percent of the diner’s bill (before tax), so the wait staff has to pay even if the diner doesn't tip, which is hosed up.

What the gently caress how is that legal?