Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Phosphophy
Phosphophy Lite
Phosphophy Zero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Heinseki no Keni

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Phosphophy Lite was better before they started adding all these other weird ingredients :reject:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

Whether or not the characters themselves have an inherent gender, their design is obviously generic moe fare. I also don't think it's that much of a problem because the show doesn't seem to take itself all that seriously. It's a dumb and pretty show about rock-girls.

But I still hate Phos. Maybe now that there's something only she can do, she'll be a more interesting character.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

why

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
someone emptyquoted something else on that page and I just really appreciate this post now, after seeing the whole series

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
a fine vintage

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

DisDisDis posted:

a fine vintage

:discourse:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Hey Matoi, you really, really should check out this show, it's really something special.

I binged this show two days ago, and now I'm contending between wheter this or Season 2 of Rakugo is my top AOTY.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

The Colonel posted:

Phosphophy
Phosphophy Lite
Phosphophy Zero

Diamond Dew: Code Bort

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One thing I was thinking about - what are the odds that the LOTL manga was an influence on Nier Automata? It’s been out long enough, and there are enough similarities between the two properties to be somewhat interesting.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The first Nier was already heavily into questions about identity, self and humanity, with the split between the body and soul being a huge foundation for the setting, so it's probably just two different people thinking along mostly the same lines and having the luck to find publishers open to giving their work a platform.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
a good year for horny non human humanoid gender media

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
what else was there

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Automata and night in the woods

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/10/26/this-asexual-worm-hasnt-had-sex-in-18-million-years/

Also Steven Universe although I haven't watched the latest season, dunno if it's still good.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/TheScarletDeviI/status/947165183377584128

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

hi i just finished watching this because you all said it was the best anime of 2017

i liked it

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

2017 had a lot of good anime and it's hard to pick an AOTY.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Pollyanna posted:

2017 had a lot of good anime and it's hard to pick an AOTY.

what, no its not

it's acca

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
i keep planning to watch acca because i watched House of Five Leaves and super liked it, but never have the time

how was it

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I watched this recently and it was quite good, but there were a few things that bugged me and I was wondering what other people thought of them.

My biggest problem was I didn't like what happened to Phos. It was so abrupt and discontinuous that it felt like a complete shift in main characters. When Phos got the leg upgrade I thought that was done pretty well. It made them more useful but it was hard to use and still didn't make up for their personality issues. But when they got the gold and platinum upgrade, they immediately shot up to become one of the strongest fighters, and all their personality issues vanished offscreen. I understand why they did in-story but I just couldn't accept it. I feel like that could have been handled better. I also kind of liked Phos more when they were useless and knew it.

I'm not sure why this is, but I thought the Lunarians got much less impressive as threats the more we learned about their backstory. It started out so strong, because their design was so weird and offputting, and we were just thrown into the setting at first. Maybe this is just because I wanted the show to be something it wasn't. Adventuring to uncover the truth about them is also interesting, but I found it made the constant attacks feel less threatening when we started ascribing motives to them.

It was certainly good though. I was impressed by how well the CG worked for the fight scenes. It could be a bit offputting for character expressions still but on the whole worked very well. I also liked the cast well in general.

Myriad Truths fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jan 4, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Myriad Truths posted:

But when they got the gold and platinum upgrade, they immediately shot up to become one of the strongest fighters, and all their personality issues vanished offscreen.

Their personality issues didn't vanish. They've still got a lot of the same issues: look how they interact with the others in the last episode, especially how they tell Cinnabar 'Nope. Nothing fun.'

More than that, they're still incredibly aware of their own shortcomings and still think of themselves as useless. Like how Bort asks if they're happy and they go "No. Not a single good thing has come of it." Look at how they interact with the twins too, "I wanna look cool for you guys," or the exaggerated reactions they have to Bort's plan. They're still totally Phos from head-to-toe. They're better in a fight and more muted, but they're still self-important, still tend to act on a whim, and still have no idea what to do with themselves. There's more wry humor to them than bratty selfishness, but iunno how you get the impression they're somehow 'fixed' or don't have any personality issues. If anything, they have more personality issues now than they did at the start. Even ignoring the PTSD, they're much more bitter towards the others.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Did any of those have negative consequences though? Particularly when it comes to being bitter and distant, I have a hard time counting that as a character flaw because so many anime treat it like a positive thing because the character is now cooler.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't think this series presents either of those qualities as good, that others do is irrelevant imo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Myriad Truths posted:

Did any of those have negative consequences though? Particularly when it comes to being bitter and distant, I have a hard time counting that as a character flaw because so many anime treat it like a positive thing because the character is now cooler.
That, uh. That isn't really a good thing, though. Even in the episodes shown, Phos's distance is treated as a flaw. Phos literally says they don't like being like this. 'Not a single good thing has come of it.'

And Cinnabar seems almost heartbroken by how Phos behaves now, seems to view it as a betrayal of the connection they'd formed at the start of the series.

Also what anime are you even talking about? Pretty much every anime I've ever watched has a cool, detached character warm up to the people around them and get friends and stuff.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The scene where Antarcticite is taken is so jarring and emotionally distressing that I absolutely understand Phos being a very different character afterwards. It's also justified by how a gem's personality is related to their composition, we're not sure what part of the new phos is emotional damage or how their body has changed.

The contrast between Phos at the start, and the Phos at the end, is my favorite part of the series. You get annoyed with them at first but you miss the old Phos so much at the end, you can see glimpses of how they used to be but it's fleeting and makes the rest hurt more. Phos is useful now but that's not seen as purely a good thing, the show gets a lot darker overall.

It's really really interesting and I love this show a lot.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Phos's loss of memories and Identity is supposed to be tragic to the audience. I know I gasped when they ask "who's Cinnibar".

Hoof, that Antarticite scene is something else.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Myriad Truths posted:

I'd say that achieving one's goals but finding the results of that utterly hollow & pointless and finding oneself in an even worse place afterwards is a pretty big bunch of negative consequences.

I mean, the whole point of some of the gems finding Phos more cool & competent is the dichotomy between their reaction to the "new" Phos and how utterly miserable Phos actually is. Phos got exactly what they wanted, they are now the cool, competent Sempai who can send the Lunarians packing with ease. They are also an insomniatic, self-hating, guilt wracked basket case having hallucinations where they watch someone they truly looked up to basically die over and over again due to their own incompetence. I'm pretty sure we already know if the price Phos paid was worth it, Bort asked that question for us and we already have the answer: "Not a single good thing has come of it."

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Eela6 posted:

Phos's loss of memories and Identity is supposed to be tragic to the audience. I know I gasped when they ask "who's Cinnibar".

Hoof, that Antarticite scene is something else.

Oh, right, I was confused by that. They correct themselves right after so I took it as aloofness and not loss of memory. Later on Phos seems to remember Cinnabar just fine also.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think Phos said their memories were hazy. but mostly it was ichikawa having fun with a cliffhanger in the manga (it occurred both at the end of a chapter and in the final chapter of the corresponding volume release).

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

dogsicle posted:

i think Phos said their memories were hazy. but mostly it was ichikawa having fun with a cliffhanger in the manga (it occurred both at the end of a chapter and in the final chapter of the corresponding volume release).

...Well that seems a little cheap.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Myriad Truths posted:

Oh, right, I was confused by that. They correct themselves right after so I took it as aloofness and not loss of memory. Later on Phos seems to remember Cinnabar just fine also.

Real life long term memory works like that too, where sometimes repair post-brain damage can recover some things long forgotten.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Brain damage can also cause behavioral shifts like what happened to Phos, but it's probably easier to just say Phos grew up from adolescence into a brooding teenager.

fake edit: lol did I just equate being a teenager to brain damage oh well im keeping it

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

AnacondaHL posted:

Brain damage can also cause behavioral shifts like what happened to Phos, but it's probably easier to just say Phos grew up from adolescence into a brooding teenager.

fake edit: lol did I just equate being a teenager to brain damage oh well im keeping it

I'd much rather attribute my week long obsession with Libertarianism when I was 16 or so to brain damage than anything else so I'll take it. :lol:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Myriad Truths posted:

They seem a little surprised by the 'what about fun' line from Cinnabar, so I really did just take it as their memories being spotty. A lot of Phos's memories of certain places or people seem very much like them just kind of piecing it together from context clues than actually remembering things.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I wonder if the manga might help here. I feel like either other people are reading too much into Phos's behavior or I'm not reading far enough, and I imagine the reason is that we don't really get to look inside Phos's head after winter. So some of the things they say or does seem out of place to me. Hoping the manga might give more insight into that.

Myriad Truths fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 4, 2018

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Myriad Truths posted:

I watched this recently and it was quite good, but there were a few things that bugged me and I was wondering what other people thought of them.

My biggest problem was I didn't like what happened to Phos. It was so abrupt and discontinuous that it felt like a complete shift in main characters. When Phos got the leg upgrade I thought that was done pretty well. It made them more useful but it was hard to use and still didn't make up for their personality issues. But when they got the gold and platinum upgrade, they immediately shot up to become one of the strongest fighters, and all their personality issues vanished offscreen. I understand why they did in-story but I just couldn't accept it. I feel like that could have been handled better. I also kind of liked Phos more when they were useless and knew it.

I'm not sure why this is, but I thought the Lunarians got much less impressive as threats the more we learned about their backstory. It started out so strong, because their design was so weird and offputting, and we were just thrown into the setting at first. Maybe this is just because I wanted the show to be something it wasn't. Adventuring to uncover the truth about them is also interesting, but I found it made the constant attacks feel less threatening when we started ascribing motives to them.

It was certainly good though. I was impressed by how well the CG worked for the fight scenes. It could be a bit offputting for character expressions still but on the whole worked very well. I also liked the cast well in general.

I felt that Phos' initial "flaws" of being whiny, dumb, lazy and entitled were expressions of their naivete and insecurities. When Phos first loses their legs they reveal that they believe they are useless in a utilitarian society, and don't deserve any better. Phos' earlier braggadocio was a mask, just as Dia was shown to mask their insecurities about Bort. Phos is invested in finding Cinnabar a new job because they identify with Cinnabar's plight and believe that unlike themselves, Cinnabar does deserve better.

When we met Antarcticite we were introduced to someone who was very competent despite being physically weak. Phos' insecurities are such that they believed the only way they could reach Antarc's abilities would be to lose even more of them-self. After losing Antarc, Phos has been stripped of a lot of their naivete, fighting is no longer glamorous , but the insecurities remain. Nu-Phos tries to publicly model themselves after Antarc, because that is what competency looks like, even though they can no longer sleep and have inherited a new "flaw" of crying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Myriad Truths posted:

I wonder if the manga might help here. I feel like either other people are reading too much into Phos's behavior or I'm not reading far enough, and I imagine the reason is that we don't really get to look inside Phos's head after winter. So some of the things they say or does seem out of place to me. Hoping the manga might give more insight into that.

They’ve definitely lost a bunch of memories, since they don’t even remember anything they learned from their ocean trip other than the word humans. The cinnabar promise is especially painful because they vaguely remember to some degree that they made a promise with cinnabar, but they don’t remember specifically why they made it, which is why they tend to avoid cinnabar outta subconscious guilt.

• Locked thread