Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Pththya-lyi posted:

There are so many more! Longarm was a series of adult Western novels that chronicled the adventures of U.S. Deputy Marshal Curtis Long. The series ran from 1978 to 2015 and there were over 450 installments

LONGARM

Welp it looks like I need to break into the increibly secure X rated western genre. Longarm is my new hero!

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Adrift by Steven Callahan

Oh man Adrift is one of my favorite books. An incredible story of survival. 76 days in a life raft that would have lasted most of us 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Aesop Poprock posted:

It's on amazon for like $5. I bought it

"Returned. Creepy in a way that isn't represented by the store page. Others may like, but it just wasn't for my family and I."

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Flyball posted:

Compost Girl could be fake, for all I know. That's a picture I found online, rather than a book I own.
It is.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
This is a very good website about weird and wonderful books.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Thanks. I should have known better.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Flyball posted:

This book is pretty weird

I'm so jealous.

Unless someone has scanned a copy recently, the old pdf that floats around is from Devo's CD-rom game from the 90s. So some of the more objectionable illustrations are censored.

No More Toast
May 11, 2013

Atheist! Imperialist!!

Gutter Phoenix posted:

How and When "Heaven's Gate" (The Door to the Physical Kingdon Level Above Human) May Be Entered

I bought this earlier in the year from one of (the only?) living members of the Heaven's Gate cult, who was left behind to manage their publicity.

This is definitely the book I'm most jealous of! Heaven's Gate has always fascinated me, and I'm always surprised there haven't been more books/documentaries about it. Does the book just contain what is written on the website, or is there more to it? I've thought about contacting them and ordering it, but I imagine the cost of shipping it to the UK would be quite high.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Crossposting this from the funny pics thread:

Amazon posted:

Singing hymns of praise is standard practice—now it's time to set your feet a-tapping with a collection of original dance moves inspired by Jesus and the likes of Moses and John the Baptist. Dances include: the Water Walk, the Temptation Tango, the Judas Hustle, and The Apostolic Conga. Each dance move is outlined with: how to, inspiration, and an illustration. Slyly irreverent but ultimately festive, Dancing with Jesus is illustrated in full color. Best of all, two of the dances are animated for full effect by a lenticular cover and last-spread finale, making this a truly one-of-a-kind novelty item!

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

wa27 posted:

I'm so jealous.

Unless someone has scanned a copy recently, the old pdf that floats around is from Devo's CD-rom game from the 90s. So some of the more objectionable illustrations are censored.

I don't know if the pdf I have is that one or not. It sure as hell has some illustrations which I wouldn't include with something marketed to the general public.

This, for instance: NSFW /i.imgur.com/leSlQlj.png NSFW

I've seen more than one pdf over the years, but I'm not sure if I have any of the others, or not. It's the old 'maybe on an old hard drive'. Maybe I'll compare it to the book, but not all 280 pages at once. In what way were they censored, just blanked out?

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Crossposting this from the funny pics thread:

We need all the images and a .gif of those

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Flyball posted:

I don't know if the pdf I have is that one or not. It sure as hell has some illustrations which I wouldn't include with something marketed to the general public.

This, for instance: NSFW /i.imgur.com/leSlQlj.png NSFW

I've seen more than one pdf over the years, but I'm not sure if I have any of the others, or not. It's the old 'maybe on an old hard drive'. Maybe I'll compare it to the book, but not all 280 pages at once. In what way were they censored, just blanked out?

Yeah there were just very obvious black boxes over random stuff. But then there was plenty of uncensored graphic imagery that was untouched, so I don't know exactly what the point was. Maybe to cover up some of the underage stuff.

Last time I browsed it was like 2004 though, so I did some digging and there does seem to be better scanned copies now:
https://www.reddit.com/r/devo/comments/207d19/ive_uploaded_my_struggle_by_booji_boy_onto_dropbox/

In that copy, it looks like someone went through the CD-Rom version and de-censored it with images from an original copy. For example, page 13 ("minus 6") had the girl and dog's body blacked out.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

wa27 posted:

In that copy, it looks like someone went through the CD-Rom version and de-censored it with images from an original copy.

At a quick glance, that looks like the same pdf I have.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

canis minor posted:

We need all the images and a .gif of those

Well, you're (sort of) in luck. Here's the lenticular cover:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Then they went to all the trouble of creating a a 4 cell lenticular cover for the loving book:

Who the gently caress even makes lenticular images these days? How did they find a company that would do this for them?

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Flyball posted:

This one is quite wonderful

A

These are words with a B this time

X

1234 S items

Stashing this idea in the back of my brain, thanks!

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I've been cleaning out the Friends of the Library booksale area.

Why didn't someone tell me about this thread earlier.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Rough Lobster posted:

Welp it looks like I need to break into the increibly secure X rated western genre. Longarm is my new hero!

Oh man Adrift is one of my favorite books. An incredible story of survival. 76 days in a life raft that would have lasted most of us 3.

Yeah, and unlike most of the other shipwreck/ stuck-on-a-life-raft books I posted, he was by himself. That's got to be even worse than being stuck on a life raft with other people.

Also, if I remember correctly, when he was finally found by some poor Caribbean fishermen out at sea, he didn't want to take away their livelihood by causing them to lose a day of fishing, so they went off to do that and he just had to have faith that they would come back for him when they were done (they did).

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

No More Toast posted:

This is definitely the book I'm most jealous of! Heaven's Gate has always fascinated me, and I'm always surprised there haven't been more books/documentaries about it. Does the book just contain what is written on the website, or is there more to it? I've thought about contacting them and ordering it, but I imagine the cost of shipping it to the UK would be quite high.

As far as I can tell, most of what's in the book is on their website, although I haven't compared the two extensively or anything. I got it by emailing the contact on that site. The response was quick. I was asked to send (I think) $20 cash to a PO Box in Arizona, and just had to have faith that any believer in the teachings of Ti and Do would refrain from stealing my money. A couple of weeks later my book arrived.

I have no clue what it would cost to send to the UK, but if you really want a copy it couldn't hurt to ask!

I have a couple of other Heaven's Gate books (including one that's similar in looks and format to the book I posted), but they are currently in a different state, so it'll be a few weeks before I can post pictures.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

First up, this Chick tract that I found in my letterbox one day. It's the only one I've ever seen outside of the internet, so I kept it.

Next, since cat books were mentioned:

I bought a couple of books from a seller on eBay and they threw this one in as a freebie. It's pretty much what you'd expect from looking at the cover.

But my favourite is this one I found on my grandmother's bookshelf when we were going through her stuff after she died.

It goes on to explain the changes pretty comprehensively, including a lot of real-world examples for a variety of different uses including shopping, cooking, utilities, construction, cars, farming, mail, weather, and sports. I'd probably keep it anyway just for the novelty, but the bits on the first page about America are the real reason I like it.

In case you can't read it (sorry about the quality of the photos), the relevant quotes are:

quote:

The change to the metric system is part of a world-wide trend. This country cannot afford to be left behind. All the traditional users of the imperial system including the United Kingdom, New Zealand and South Africa are well advanced with the change. The United States is expected to start the change soon.

And further down the page:

quote:

The United States of America is the only country of industrial significance which is not yet committed and there, following an official report recommending the change, Bills have been introduced in Congress providing for immediate preparation for a ten year program. The Bill has already been passed in the Senate.

There is no doubt that before the end of the decade the whole world will be committed to the metric system.

This was 1972. Any day now, right?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Someone used to bring stacks of Chick tracts into one of my old worksites (which is hilarious because it's a government building and I'm pretty sure they would have been fired if they had been found out). They'd leave them in the bathrooms on top of the toilet paper dispenser ostensibly so you'd have something to read while you poo poo but we all just wiped out asses with them.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Speaking of Chick tracts, here are pictures of the first four (compared to more recent versions) which were originally published as books/ booklets:

Why No Revival? (1961)

A Demon's Nightmare (1962)

This Was Your Life (1964)

Holy Joe (1964)

Here are a bunch of books from Chick Publications:

The Last Call (1963)

The Battle (1972).

The Next Step for Growing Christians (1973)

A Solution to... The Marriage Mess (1978)

Going Bananas? (1979)

Smokescreens (1982 audio tape/ 1983 book)

He Came to Set the Captives Free by Rebecca Brown (1986)

Prepare for War by Rebecca Brown (1987)

Did the Catholic Church Give Us the Bible? by David Daniels (2005)

Babylon Religion by David Daniels (2006)

Hot Topics (2008)

I've posted at length about all 295 Chick tracts (as well as other miscellaneous Chick publications) here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3795280&userid=203154&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I can't decide whether I like the dude who is a full on motherfucking knight presumably in the modern day better, or the guy with the JESUS finger emoji shirt better.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i've posted some of these books i've got or seen here and there but this seems like a good thread to house them

i got this book during high school as a birthday gift. i did get some good grades but my reputation was in shambles

found these at a sale

i bought this book. it's actually not bad but i use this image when people say stupid things about books they have read and failed to understand

this thread in fact reminded me that i have a copy of the novelization of Planescape: Torment, the video game notable for its great story and still hailed as one of the most well-written game of all times. the novelization is, let's just say, absolutely not that. I have yet to finish this book

i think we all know this book. it is bad and dumb. before he was elected i found it at a cafe library and was just taking screenshots

also i downloaded this stupid book and it's as bad as you think it is

the author is also responsible for

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Yo, did that lady throw away a loving baby?

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

The Man Diet proposes an exciting alternative for women bored of the superficial modern dating scene: cannibalism.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I love sleazy paperbacks:

This one is sleazy and racist!

]

I've seen so many of these sorts of books but I've never read them what are they actually like?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i've posted some of these books i've got or seen here and there but this seems like a good thread to house them

i got this book during high school as a birthday gift. i did get some good grades but my reputation was in shambles

Ha Ha Ha! I actually have a few issues of Campus Life magazine. Back in 2004 I somehow ended up with a huge stack of mail-in postcards to request information packets from various fundamentalist Christian colleges all over the U.S. I figured that the brochures would have a bunch of funny pictures and stuff that I could use as clip-art in a zine I used to publish, so one night I got drunk and filled out about 60 post cards and dropped them in the mail the next day. My mailbox was jammed with Christian college application information (addressed to my pen name) for months.

As could be expected, my pseudonym also ended up on a bunch of crazy mailing lists. At some point I got an offer for a free trial issue of Campus Life, which I promptly accepted. After receiving a couple of issues they started sending me angry letters demanding that I pay for a subscription since they kept sending me magazines. Eventually the magazines stopped coming, although the angry letters continued until I moved. Hopefully the person living at my old place on Belmont Street in Portland is still getting angry letters from Campus Life magazine thirteen years later. That would be neat.

There wasn't anything too noteworthy in the college application packets, but I've held on to a few of the magazines all these years because I remember them being funny. I'll have to read through them again when I get a chance.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Uncle Wemus posted:

I've seen so many of these sorts of books but I've never read them what are they actually like?

Here is a random page from Sex Agent:

That's probably pretty representative of the smutty 60's paperback genre.

cda posted:

This post owns. Requesting a juicy quote from Marji and the Gangland Wars, please.

Better late than never:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Here are a few new books I've picked up:

And a few I got for Christmas:

The Bigfoot one might be my favorite of the bunch. It's never too early to teach kids about cryptozoology!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

also i downloaded this stupid book and it's as bad as you think it is

the author is also responsible for

SOMEbody is clearly overcompenasting for his tiny red button.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I hope this fucker drowns in a grain silo

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This must be amazing. Have you read it?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Are there audio books available for these trashy old books they'd be great for my graveyard shifts.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

This must be amazing. Have you read it?

I just got it and haven't had a chance to read it yet. I had never even heard of it until it showed up as a suggestion on Amazon.

Uncle Wemus posted:

Are there audio books available for these trashy old books they'd be great for my graveyard shifts.

I know that Lawrence Block has been republishing a bunch of his sleazy novels (written under various pseudonyms) from the 50's and 60's, and there are some available as audio books. You can listen to this classic while at work:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

My girlfriend saw this on the free book table at her office and brought it home for me last night. It's in French (which I cannot read), although that doesn't really matter because it's mostly filled with pictures, posters, and other miscellaneous Mexican wrestling ephemera in Spanish (which I can barely read). It's pretty awesome. ˇViva la lucha libre!

Here are a bunch more books.

This one isn't as notable as the DEVO book that Flyball posted, but it's still pretty good:

The cover on this one is flocked in fuzzy fake velvet:

This is a booklet from the 50's advising American tourists on how to act while vacationing in Mexico:

It even has a special message from Ike:

Here are a few of the little booklets that used to be available in grocery store checkout lines:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

There was a vintage furniture store in Alameda that went out of business a couple of years ago. They also had a room full of used books which they were giving away for free on their last day in business. The selection was pretty picked over by the time I got there, but I still managed to pick up a few decent things. Most notably, there were stacks of these trashy "urban romance" books that no one else seemed to be interested in. I grabbed as many as I could carry and barely made a dent in the pile.

I like that they used the "B" from the Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV show logo for the title font on this one:

Sometimes I regret not going back and taking the rest of them, although I have yet to actually read any of them. Also, we have nine full size bookshelves in our apartment (plus a few smaller shelves) and all of them are already packed two rows deep, yet that's still not enough to house all of our books. I just hope that the rest of the collection went to a good home.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

all these books are gonna fall over without a set of good book ends

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Gutter Phoenix posted:

There was a vintage furniture store in Alameda that went out of business a couple of years ago. They also had a room full of used books which they were giving away for free on their last day in business. The selection was pretty picked over by the time I got there, but I still managed to pick up a few decent things. Most notably, there were stacks of these trashy "urban romance" books that no one else seemed to be interested in. I grabbed as many as I could carry and barely made a dent in the pile.
Most of these authors are still pretty popular. Nikki turner, ashley and jaquavis, wahida clark all still circulate at the library pretty frequently. A lot of the urban fiction books have pretty great titles
https://www.amazon.com/Crack-Triple-Crown-Publications-Presents/dp/0979951798

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0984...B57L&ref=plSrch

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
And I just learned that I write my sex scenes like smutty lovely 60s paperbacks. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I found this in a bookshop in Spain a few years ago. I wish I would have bought it, but they wanted way too much for it.

I guess even Spain was into dumb cowboy poo poo in the sixties?