Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
So, now that Republicans control the VA legislature, is it better for Northham to expand Medicaid with means testing to appease them (assuming this is an option at all) or to just not expand Medicaid at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Democrazy posted:

To focus on your point about Colorado, and ignoring your assertion about the progressive bonafides of an organization that provides affordable healthcare services to vulnerable populations, don’t you find it worrying that the proponents of single payer weren’t able to convince a majority of voters in a purple state? Regardless of whatever incentives politicians have to push against single payer, surely if voters are hungry for leftward change, they would want to reform the system. But instead nearly 79% of people who voted in Colorado soundly rejected the measure. The only explanations that make sense are that either the campaign or proposal was bad, or that people reject the idea outright. As someone who would favor Medicare For All, both explanations are concerning for me. It says that the advocates to the left on healthcare may not be doing enough to convince people.

when republicans sabotage healthcare expansion campaigns, this proves republicans must be opposed at all costs

when democrats sabotage healthcare expansion campaigns, it proves the people must just not want any more of those ~entitlements~

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Democrazy posted:

To focus on your point about Colorado, and ignoring your assertion about the progressive bonafides of an organization that provides affordable healthcare services to vulnerable populations, don’t you find it worrying that the proponents of single payer weren’t able to convince a majority of voters in a purple state? Regardless of whatever incentives politicians have to push against single payer, surely if voters are hungry for leftward change, they would want to reform the system. But instead nearly 79% of people who voted in Colorado soundly rejected the measure. The only explanations that make sense are that either the campaign or proposal was bad, or that people reject the idea outright. As someone who would favor Medicare For All, both explanations are concerning for me. It says that the advocates to the left on healthcare may not be doing enough to convince people.

The entire democrat machine in CO put their thumbs on the scale to kill it, to the point where even my limousine liberal tech pals who live in Denver started to sound like red baiting Birchers about coloradocare.

It’s a bit rich to kill something and then point to it’s corpse as evidence the people don’t want it.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Peven Stan posted:

The entire democrat machine in CO put their thumbs on the scale to kill it, to the point where even my limousine liberal tech pals who live in Denver started to sound like red baiting Birchers about coloradocare.

It’s a bit rich to kill something and then point to it’s corpse as evidence the people don’t want it.

Would you care to elaborate on that first point?Did the Colorado Democratic Party coerce or trick voters into voting no?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Democrazy posted:

Would you care to elaborate on that first point?Did the Colorado Democratic Party coerce or trick voters into voting no?

If they didn't support it they are a loving waste. I'd accuse you of moving the goalposts but I think yours are just in an entirely different spot to begin with.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Democrazy posted:

They spread enough FUD about the law that it took me months of explaining in slack why every point the democrats made was disingenuous or wrong.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Nevvy Z posted:

So, now that Republicans control the VA legislature, is it better for Northham to expand Medicaid with means testing to appease them (assuming this is an option at all) or to just not expand Medicaid at all?

Some Virginia Republicans are making noise that they see the writing on the wall and will likely vote to expand Medicaid.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Paracaidas posted:

But you didn't? I asked for someone arguing that the growth of high-deductible plans causing people to forgo care was a good thing. You provided someone arguing that a reduction in the growth of spending is a good thing. That only tracks if a meaningful part of the slowing growth is because an increase in high deductible plans is causing people to forgo care. Absent evidence of that, you provided someone making an entirely different argument.
Is the premise that we already agree a meaningful part of the slowing growth is because an increase in high deductible plans is causing people to forgo care not built into the request asking for a person making an argument that the growth of high-deductible plans causing people to forgo care was a good thing? Like I wouldn't ask for someone making an argument that the presence of helium in the atmosphere is good, because it's trivial and meaningless and talking about it as though it is good or bad is nonsense (possibly this is bad science, but regardless it reflects what I believe which is what is relevant to this discussion). If you thought the impact of the growth of high-deductible plans causing people to forgo care on spending was meaningless, you should have that argument first.

quote:

Obamacare is responsible for the good things it caused since it was enacted. It's responsible for the bad things it caused since it was enacted. It's not responsible for all of the good and bad things that have happened since it was enacted.... especially when there's no explanation for how it caused them. That's how it can be both responsible for A Good Thing it caused AND not responsible for an unrelated Bad Thing in healthcare. Not even a bit suspicious!
I mean, yeah, when you reduce it to tautologies, sure it's not suspicious. When we're observing a bunch of bad and good effects, and it turns out every effect you think is beneficial is definitely caused by the ACA, how dare you even question it, and every effect you think is detrimental was completely inevitable, how dare you tarnish the ACA's good name, that's a suspicious argument, even if it's 100% correct. Anyone who finds themselves in that position should take a breath, and double check their work. Acknowledging that shouldn't be onerous or even controversial.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Peven Stan posted:

They spread enough FUD about the law that it took me months of explaining in slack why every point the democrats made was disingenuous or wrong.

Who? Was it just Democratic voters spreading information amongst themselves, official Democratic communications, what?

And in any case, isn’t it the responsibility of those who are in favor of a measure to campaign in favor of the measure?

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

Nevvy Z posted:

If they didn't support it they are a loving waste. I'd accuse you of moving the goalposts but I think yours are just in an entirely different spot to begin with.

If you want to assert that single payer is popular among voters and that the only reason it fails is due to politicians, it helps when voters back that by supporting single payer when given the opportunity, but the vote wasn’t even close.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Democrazy posted:

Who? Was it just Democratic voters spreading information amongst themselves, official Democratic communications, what?

And in any case, isn’t it the responsibility of those who are in favor of a measure to campaign in favor of the measure?

The current and former democratic governors of Colorado campaigned against it using bullshit non-arguments like "The constitution is already burdened with too many constitutional measures, let alone one of this cost and magnitude."

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Democrazy posted:

If you want to assert that single payer is popular among voters and that the only reason it fails is due to politicians, it helps when voters back that by supporting single payer when given the opportunity, but the vote wasn’t even close.

Maybe single payer would be more popular among voters if they weren't being deceived about it by politicians they trust?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Democrazy posted:

And people are pointing out to you that powerful parts of the Democratic machine actively sabotaged it. So...acting like this was a clear bellwether of how voters view single payer is pretty dishonest of you.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Democrazy posted:

are we conceding at this point that the Democratic party establishment is, in fact, against single payer

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Ze Pollack posted:

are we conceding at this point that the Democratic party establishment is, in fact, against single payer

I think this runs into the problem where you (not necessarily you zp in particular) start defining anyone disagreeing with you as "establishment." Anyone opposing single payer should be primaried, sure.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Majorian posted:

And people are pointing out to you that powerful parts of the Democratic machine actively sabotaged it. So...acting like this was a clear bellwether of how voters view single payer is pretty dishonest of you.

quote:

Coloradans for Coloradans, an ad-hoc group opposing single payer in Colorado, revealed that it raised $1 million over the first five months of this year. The group was formed to defeat Amendment 69, the ballot measure before voters this year that would change the Colorado constitution and permit a system that would automatically cover every state resident’s health care.

The anti-single-payer effort is funded almost entirely by health care industry interests, including $500,000 from Anthem Inc., the state’s largest health insurance provider; $40,000 from Cigna, another large health insurer that is current in talks to merge with Anthem; $75,000 from Davita, the dialysis company; $25,000 from Delta Dental, the largest dental insurer in the state; and $100,000 from SCL Health, the faith-based hospital chain.

The filing reveals that the anti-single-payer group has retained the services of Global Strategy Group, a Democratic consulting firm that has served a variety of congressional candidates and is currently advising Priorities USA Action, one of the Super PACs backing Clinton’s bid for the presidency.

The filing shows that the firm was paid $58,000 by Coloradans for Coloradans for “consultant and professional services.”

A number of other Democratic firms have signed up to help defeat single payer, too. Hilltop Public Solutions, a firm managed by former campaign staffers to Barack Obama, was paid $45,000 by the group. Hilltop has also provided consulting services to Ready PAC, another Clinton-supporting Super PAC that eventually folded into the Clinton campaign.

Wow, this is super hosed up. I hadn't really followed the Colorado stuff because I don't live there, thanks for this article.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

I think this runs into the problem where you (not necessarily you zp in particular) start defining anyone disagreeing with you as "establishment."

True, but given what I'm reading in the Intercept piece, I think it's pretty fair to label this "Coloradans for Coloradans" group "part of the establishment."

WampaLord posted:

Wow, this is super hosed up. I hadn't really followed the Colorado stuff because I don't live there, thanks for this article.

Credit goes to Willa, she posted it a few pages back.:)

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Nevvy Z posted:

I think this runs into the problem where you (not necessarily you zp in particular) start defining anyone disagreeing with you as "establishment." Anyone opposing single payer should be primaried, sure.

In the case of colorado, the two most recent democratic governors were against it, and were backed up by a number of PACs and staffers from both Clinton's and Obama's camp. He's defining the establishment by the fact that they are the establishment in every conceivable definition of the term.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

On the subject of bad Democrats, Baltimore's mayor "chief executive officer" vetoed a minimum wage bill last year after having based her election campaign on supporting it.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/politics/bs-md-ci-pugh-minimum-wage-20170324-story.html

quote:

"I don't think they make you swear on the Bible," Pugh said. "They ask you if you would support it, and I do support it. But you ask me as a chief executive officer of this city what I would do as it relates to the conditions of the city currently, and where we are economically, I have a right and responsibility to respond on behalf of all of the citizens of this city."

What reminded me of this is what's happening in that city as it's about to get slammed by a snow hurricane.

https://twitter.com/BaltimoreBrew/status/948357141420748800

But even though their bodies are freezing, I'm sure that their souls are staying warm knowing that Baltimore's mayor CEO is a Democrat :kiddo:

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

joepinetree posted:

The current and former democratic governors of Colorado campaigned against it using bullshit non-arguments like "The constitution is already burdened with too many constitutional measures, let alone one of this cost and magnitude."

That’s not great, but it is the responsibility of the campaign in favor of single payer to ensure that either those important potential endorsements either support your measure or stay silent. Or, failing that, that you can counter that endorsement. They can have honest problems with the measure.

In a way, it directly mirrors what some people accuse Hillary Clinton of doing, avoiding introspection about her defeat to blame others for her own failing. Blaming others without working to improve your own ideas of campaign techniques does not seem to be a great means of improving the electoral success of similar proposals in the future.

Nevvy Z posted:

Maybe single payer would be more popular among voters if they weren't being deceived about it by politicians they trust?

Majorian posted:

This is the problem. Single payer healthcare as a political idea can’t fail, it can only be failed.

The problem with arguing that single payer is popular or would be without interference from others is that it’s nearly impossible to prove. It depends on the inherent goodness of single payer that would be evident if only people weren’t tricked into believing otherwise. It’s a claim that can’t be disproven, and in any case no one has attempted to prove it. It’s an article of faith.

You can be in favor of single payer while realizing that proponents still have work to do to make it widely supported. We should be doing that work instead of complaining when things don’t go our way.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
it's a fair criticism, the definition does tend to slip if you don't watch it, while the statement is correct in its specifics here.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Democrazy posted:

This is the problem. Single payer healthcare as a political idea can’t fail, it can only be failed.

It's been shown to work pretty drat well when it's been given a chance to succeed. And hasn't been actively sabotaged by those who claim to be in its corner.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Democrazy posted:

You can be in favor of single payer while realizing that proponents still have work to do to make it widely supported. We should be doing that work instead of complaining when things don’t go our way.

Except that people are complaining that the opposition isn't organic and is in fact being supported by the healthcare industry and people connected to the healthcare industry. This is actually an incredibly important point and not just baseless whining about things not "going our way."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Democrazy posted:

The problem with arguing that single payer is popular or would be without interference from others is that it’s nearly impossible to prove.

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/351928-poll-majority-supports-single-payer-healthcare

quote:

A slim majority of Americans support a single-payer health-care system that is funded and administrated by the government and eliminates private insurers, according to a new poll.

The latest Harvard-Harris Poll survey found 52 percent favor a single-payer system against 48 who oppose it. A strong majority of Democrats — 69 percent — back the idea. Republicans oppose single-payer, 65-35, and independents are split, with 51 percent opposing and 49 supporting.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/americans-dems-support-single-payer-health-care-poll-article-1.3509035

quote:

A POLITICO/Morning Consult survey said 49% of general voters support a proposal for a single-payer system, while 35% oppose it and 17% hold no opinion.

But with Democrats, two-thirds support a single-payer system, which was championed during the 2016 campaign by Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders. Only 18% of Democrats oppose it.

That’s a spike from 54% Democrat approval in the same poll in April.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Democrazy posted:

the cry of the sensible centrist, from now to the heat death of the universe: sit down, shut up, and don't dare ask for better.

you must do the work to make your ideas popular. but, you know. without ever doing anything so uncouth as identifying the forces actively working against it.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

Majorian posted:

It's been shown to work pretty drat well when it's been given a chance to succeed. And hasn't been actively sabotaged by those who claim to be in its corner.

I agree with you that it’s a good idea and it’s what the Democrats should be supporting. I disagree with the assertion that people are simply obliged to support it. You have to convince them.

Paradoxish posted:

Except that people are complaining that the opposition isn't organic and is in fact being supported by the healthcare industry and people connected to the healthcare industry. This is actually an incredibly important point and not just baseless whining about things not "going our way."

That people in the private healthcare industry would oppose single payer and try to convince people not to support it is obvious. If you think that they’re not going to oppose something which would drastically harm their profit, you’re naive. The only way to fight that is to be able to counter it with campaigning and information of our own, not complaining that the opposition is doing the obvious.

That makes the results of the ColoradoCare vote worse. Either voters opposed the measure because it was poorly constructed or conveyed, or because they oppose single payer when actually presented with a specific plan that has drawbacks as well as benefits. Both are concerning. But one thing is inescapable, which is that voters, when presented with a choice, rejected single payer in Colorado.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Democrazy posted:

I agree with you that it’s a good idea and it’s what the Democrats should be supporting. I disagree with the assertion that people are simply obliged to support it. You have to convince them.

That people in the private healthcare industry would oppose single payer and try to convince people not to support it is obvious. If you think that they’re not going to oppose something which would drastically harm their profit, you’re naive. The only way to fight that is to be able to counter it with campaigning and information of our own, not complaining that the opposition is doing the obvious.

you originally took offense to the suggestion that opposition includes the elected officials of the Democratic Party

are we conceding, at this point, that the elected officials of the Democratic Party are in fact the Opposition, and must be opposed if we want single payer to happen?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Democrazy posted:

Does it not concern you at all that Obama and Hillary consultants helped the healthcare industry lobby against it? Do you maybe get the point of "The Dems were actively sabotaging the bill" like the thread has been trying to hammer into your thick skull, or are you going to continue to be willfully dense?

Democrazy posted:

That makes the results of the ColoradoCare vote worse. Either voters opposed the measure because it was poorly constructed or conveyed, or because they oppose single payer when actually presented with a specific plan that has drawbacks as well as benefits. Both are concerning. But one thing is inescapable, which is that voters, when presented with a choice, rejected single payer in Colorado.

Or they got filled up with a load of FUD by DEMOCRATIC CONSULTANTS

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I should've included Trudy Lieberman's great Harper's piece on the ACA in my prior list of links. Lieberman was/is CJR's healthcare-beat reporter and has been covering the ACA for the last decade.

quote:

It’s bad enough that the A.C.A. is fattening up the health-care industry and hollowing out coverage for the middle class. Even worse, the law is accelerating what I call the Great Cost Shift, which transfers the growing price of medical care to patients themselves through high deductibles, coinsurance (the patient’s share of the cost for a specific service, calculated as a percentage), copayments (a set fee paid for a specific service), and limited provider networks (which sometimes offer so little choice that patients end up seeking out-of-network care and paying on their own). What was once good, comprehensive insurance for a sizable number of Americans is being reduced to coverage for only the most serious, and most expensive, of illnesses. Even fifteen years ago, families paid minimal deductibles of $150 or $200 and copays of $5 or $10, or none at all. Now, a family lucky enough to afford a policy in the first place may face out-of-pocket expenses for coinsurance, deductibles, and copays as high as $13,200 before its insurer kicks in.2 Of course, these out-of-pocket caps can be adjusted by the insurer every year, within limits set by the government, and there are no caps at all for out-of-network services, which means that some providers charge whatever the market will bear. In the post-A.C.A. era, you can be insured but have little or no coverage for what you actually need.

As it happens, patient power is mainly a benefit for employers — and insurers. Charles Kahn, who once lobbied for an insurance trade group and now heads the Federation of American Hospitals, told me that insurers have finally gotten the products they always wanted. High-deductible plans add to the predictability of setting rates, he said. With a bigger share of the risk shifted to consumers, it’s easier for insurers to make money.

An affordability crisis is looming. Last fall, The Commonwealth Fund found that almost half of all insured adults with incomes of $23,000 or less delayed or skipped care because of high cost-sharing expenses, regardless of which kind of insurance they had. In a December New York Times/CBS News poll, 46 percent of respondents described health-care costs as a hardship, up from 36 percent the previous year.

eta: She directly links the ACA's imposition of the odiously named "cadillac tax" on comprehensive insurance to the increase in higher out-of-pocket costs:

quote:

The name suggests that only a select few Americans will be hit by the Cadillac tax. In fact, the impact will be widespread. “It’s going to affect almost every plan as the years go on,” says Steve Wojcik, a vice president at the National Business Group on Health. “I don’t think people know they’re going to be affected.” Eventually, the skin-in-the-game theory of cost control will reach those much higher on the income ladder, bringing us closer still to Pat Rooney’s grand design for health insurance.

Appearing on PBS NewsHour two months before the A.C.A. passed, Gruber tried to minimize the impact of the Cadillac tax. Some employers “get an enormous tax break,” he insisted, “and we’re going to slightly scale that back and use the money to cover uninsured people” — a move he predicted would raise $150 billion for the federal government. But he said that those Americans lucky enough to be insured by such policies needn’t fear. The A.C.A. provision would move them from “very, very generous” plans to those that are “merely very generous,” Gruber told viewers. As the Cadillac tax helped to control spiraling medical costs, he added, it would also result in higher wages across the board, with most of those gains going to workers with incomes under $200,000.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 4, 2018

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
What is "the work" that needs to be done to get single payer passed that is not, in some form, "complaining about it" for the people who are out of power? Should we be stockpiling ak-47s for the revolution instead of pointing out how lovely the current policy and the part of the democratic party that supports it are?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Democrazy posted:

Democracy in practice is not about honorable political combat between evenly matched forces in an open and free marketplace of ideas. No one is shocked that the healthcare industry is opposed to single payer, but part of actively campaigning for it is to identify the people working against it (which happens to include parts of the Democratic party connected to the healthcare industry) so you can demonstrate that their opposition isn't in good faith. Proving that the thing you want is actually a good idea is only one small part of actually winning any fight and it's absurdly naive to believe otherwise.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

Ze Pollack posted:

you originally took offense to the suggestion that opposition includes the elected officials of the Democratic Party

are we conceding, at this point, that the elected officials of the Democratic Party are in fact the Opposition, and must be opposed if we want single payer to happen?

I did not take offense, I asked for elaboration. I take the position that Democratic Party officials are probably necessary endorsements to win, and thus must be convinced. I also take the position that voters aren’t cattle and can also have legitimate concerns to assuage and questions to answer, and that proponents of single payer should be in the business of dong just that.

WampaLord posted:

Does it not concern you at all that Obama and Hillary consultants helped the healthcare industry lobby against it? Do you maybe get the point of "The Dems were actively sabotaging the bill" like the thread has been trying to hammer into your thick skull, or are you going to continue to be willfully dense?

Or they got filled up with a load of FUD by DEMOCRATIC CONSULTANTS

Democratic officials are under no obligation to support something just because you do. You have to convince them to support your side. In my perfect world, they would already support the measure, but this is not a perfect world and I understand that people have different views and perspectives than mine. I try and take those views seriously, address concerns and build consensus around policies I support.

Voters rejected the measure. The proponents need to do a better job in the future, plain and simple.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

joepinetree posted:

What is "the work" that needs to be done to get single payer passed that is not, in some form, "complaining about it" for the people who are out of power? Should we be stockpiling ak-47s for the revolution instead of pointing out how lovely the current policy and the part of the democratic party that supports it are?

The bad-dem answer is usually something along the lines of "let's push for a public option," and pretend it would be the market solution to demands for single-payer.

eta: Dems also like to pretend that it's up to grass-roots activists--not the elected members of the Dem party who've promised moves toward single-payer--to turn the tide of public sentiment.

And when grassroots activists try to do that, they're overwhelmingly thwarted by the combination of powerful industry interests funding Democratic lawmakers and the Dems willingly dancing with the ones who fund their campaigns.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 4, 2018

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

Democracy in practice is not about honorable political combat between evenly matched forces in an open and free marketplace of ideas. No one is shocked that the healthcare industry is opposed to single payer, but part of actively campaigning for it is to identify the people working against it (which happens to include parts of the Democratic party connected to the healthcare industry) so you can demonstrate that their opposition isn't in good faith. Proving that the thing you want is actually a good idea is only one small part of actually winning any fight and it's absurdly naive to believe otherwise.

The assertion that voters were tricked into overwhelmingly opposing something that they would have otherwise supported is an argument of faith. There’s no way to disprove it, and in any case, no one has proven it here.

Edit: Overall, I agree with the idea that you have to identify opposition and use it as a campaign tactic is a good one. But to be so overwhelmingly defeated and not wonder how the supporters of single payer might improve their odds next time is staggering.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Ze Pollack posted:

the core conceit of Hamilton isn't bad, but it was better delivered as a climactic line in 1776

"We're men, working under circumstances a more generous God would not have allowed."

coding Jefferson as Kanye West was inspired, I will absolutely give it that. you instantly grasp the core of his character: this man's talent -almost- exceeds the extent to which he is lost up his own rear end.

As a foreigner who enjoys US history, 'Hamilton' loving baffles me. As Lindsay Ellis said on a review, I guess you need to make the first big hip-hop musical about the whitest poo poo ever.

Even so, "I was Washington's aide, elected my worst enemy to the White House, ruined my career over a silly affair, lost my son to a dumb duel then alsl died on a dumber duel: the musical" just feels...off. and I may be mistakenhere, but was Jefferson really that exuberant? He always felt like a borderline Asperger type to me.

Give me Thomas Payne: the musical, and then we are talking.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I'm still loving pissed at Anthony Rendon for shelving SB562. Too bad I'm not in his district or I'd have jumped on that recall petition.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Democrazy posted:

Edit: Overall, I agree with the idea that you have to identify opposition and use it as a campaign tactic is a good one. But to be so overwhelmingly defeated and not wonder how the supporters of single payer might improve their odds next time is staggering.

Well, we certainly know one way to improve their odds, to not have major Democratic consultant firms help the opposition.

Democrazy posted:

Democratic officials are under no obligation to support something just because you do. You have to convince them to support your side.

Jesus loving christ. You're too far gone.

There's "no obligation to support" and then there's "actively fighting against" and you're acting like they're the same thing you loving idiot.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Ben Franklin the musical.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Sephyr posted:

As a foreigner who enjoys US history, 'Hamilton' loving baffles me. As Lindsay Ellis said on a review, I guess you need to make the first big hip-hop musical about the whitest poo poo ever.

Even so, "I was Washington's aide, elected my worst enemy to the White House, ruined my career over a silly affair, lost my son to a dumb duel then alsl died on a dumber duel: the musical" just feels...off. and I may be mistakenhere, but was Jefferson really that exuberant? He always felt like a borderline Asperger type to me.

Give me Thomas Payne: the musical, and then we are talking.

Thomas Payne: The Musical would be awesome, but even 200+ years later I think he'd still be too radical for American audiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Nevvy Z posted:

Medicaid is already means tested. "Expanding" is raising the threshold at which you qualify. Bog standard is 118% of the federal poverty level, iirc.

• Locked thread