Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Yeah that plus the canned responses of "It's a very legit deal" almost screams "Our Facebook page has been hacked".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Check Amazon for Badger's Sotar 20/20. That's a fine detail airbrush that's frequently used by pro calligraphers. If you're lucky, you can get a really good deal on it; I picked mine up for about $75 a few years back. (You'll likely need an adapter for the air hose, but Badger customer service can help you pick one out.)

e: The Krome was mentioned above; I don't have any experience with that one. Is that the "AK-47 of airbrushes," or am I thinking of something else?

You're thinking of the Patriot (which is what Master's dual action grav feed brush is a copy of).

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Arthil posted:

Yeah that plus the canned responses of "It's a very legit deal" almost screams "Our Facebook page has been hacked".

They did post a phone number where you can call in and verify it, and you can't order via that number either.

Looking at their website, this seems pretty normal for a company that might not be too web savvy!

yeah, to me this is just confirming this is real :)

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 4, 2018

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

JackMann posted:

I've only had experience through their Kickstarters. I've had good luck, but I've heard other people have had issues getting their stuff. That said, if the e-mails were going through around the holidays, they might've been short-manned. You might also look into alternate ways of getting in contact like their Facebook. Sometimes putting your issues out in public can kickstart some action.

Ahh man... Looking at their Facebook page it isn't just me by a longshot. They really, really dropped the ball hard it looks like.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Frobbe posted:

They did post a phone number where you can call in and verify it, and you can't order via that number either.

Looking at their website, this seems pretty normal for a company that might not be too web savvy!

And the phone number they posted is listed all over (and on things like 2016 sales flyers) as a badger contact phone number, so either its legit or it'll be taken down fairly quickly when customer service starts getting calls about a sale they know nothing about.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dr. Gargunza posted:

The Krome was mentioned above; I don't have any experience with that one. Is that the "AK-47 of airbrushes," or am I thinking of something else?

I have no idea, but I loving love mine. It's solid, easy to clean, and I feel like I'm just barely starting to figure out how to use it appropriately.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Like. It's 2018, I'm not sure there's much excuse for what seems to be a big name in airbrushing to not have a website that doesn't look like it's from 2001, and have a method of doing this deal via more legitimate sounding ways through said better website.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Arthil posted:

I'm more just annoyed that they took payment before shipping the item honestly. Whether this is resolved or not, I definitely won't be buying from them again.

Not to say that their actions are reasonable here or that you should buy from them again, but most online retailers take your money as soon as you place your order, not when they ship the item. It's just that most ship the item within a day or so of the order.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Going to grab a Sotar 2020-2F I think.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I love that people are bitching about how Badger is doing a 50% off deal on all their stuff. Don't take advantage of it I guess.

Or do and definitely get a Patriot 105 if you don't have one. I also have a Renegade Krome and it's a great detail brush, Sotar is supposed to be just as good but very different feel.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
I have the Sotar 20/20 already, what's the best one I can order for $54 and save a bunch of cash on (despite needing to have it sent international) to make this worth it? Looking for best brush bang for the buck to suit all my warhams needs.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

The Dark Project posted:

I have the Sotar 20/20 already, what's the best one I can order for $54 and save a bunch of cash on (despite needing to have it sent international) to make this worth it? Looking for best brush bang for the buck to suit all my warhams needs.

Patriot 105 is the king of brushes. With the fine needle it is super versatile from priming to detail work on vehicles. I really only use the Krome (like Sotar) for detail work on pretty small stuff.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

bonds0097 posted:

Patriot 105 is the king of brushes. With the fine needle it is super versatile from priming to detail work on vehicles. I really only use the Krome (like Sotar) for detail work on pretty small stuff.

How about the Xtreme Patriot 105? Better? Or too detailed?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

You're thinking of the Patriot (which is what Master's dual action grav feed brush is a copy of).

The Masters DA brushes are Iwata clones even down to those kinda awful little threaded nozzle seats.

Edit:

The Dark Project posted:

How about the Xtreme Patriot 105? Better? Or too detailed?

The Xtreme has the super detail needle stock but you can pick up the regular 0.5 pretty cheap. Even with the 0.2 my 105 still can really put out some paint. Still more than I like, actually, compared to my Masters. I added a trigger extension which helped control some. The Xtreme comes with the extended trigger upgrade and air control nubbin.

darnon fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 4, 2018

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Also, Badger mentioned if you can't pay today, send an email asking for what you'd like to buy, and use that email shortly after to still get the deal. So if you're between paychecks and decided to eat ramen or not eating at all you might be able to swing it and still survive instead of dying with an airbrush in your cold dead hands.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

darnon posted:

The Xtreme has the super detail needle stock but you can pick up the regular 0.5 pretty cheap. Even with the 0.2 my 105 still can really put out some paint. Still more than I like, actually, compared to my Masters. I added a trigger extension which helped control some. The Xtreme comes with the extended trigger upgrade and air control nubbin.

God their website sucks arse, I can't find needle stock on the page at all. If I get the Xtreme, would you recommend just getting a 0.5 as an additional item for it? Anything else? Might as well save while I can!

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
The kit is like $13 Prime shipped on Amazon. If you plan on doing a lot of big vehicle basecoating and general spraying it might be worth getting, but it's not that huge of a difference.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

Arthil posted:

So I bought something from CoolMinisOrNot last month. On December 5th to be exact. They took my money on December 7th. All I've been giving are some very canned responses, not really answering my concerns when putting in a support ticket.

Are they known for being godawful and a Do Not Buy From website despite having good forums?

I ordered something years ago and it literally took over a year to ship. I also live 15 minutes from CMoN. Haven't ordered from them since.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

darnon posted:

The kit is like $13 Prime shipped on Amazon. If you plan on doing a lot of big vehicle basecoating and general spraying it might be worth getting, but it's not that huge of a difference.

No worries :) I'll go for the Xtreme Patriot as it seems to have the goods over the regular Patriot 105 (especially the trigger etc). Can't hurt. This is pretty fantastic as the only regular airbrush I have is an old Aztec one which required you to change nozzles to use it, and was underslung bottle fed instead of gravity fed. Still good, but a bit old by airbrush standards. Could still likely use it for basecoating if I need to and keep the Xtreme for a bit closer detail and the Sotar 20/20 for when I want to go really insane on the detail.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Speaking as a painter for a couple years but a complete airbrush newbie, what's the one model I should look at getting?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Patriot 105. It's a nice, solid workhorse of a brush. It's great for basecoats and priming, and can handle some detail. It's not a super fine-detail brush, but it's great for learning on.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Pyrolocutus posted:

Speaking as a painter for a couple years but a complete airbrush newbie, what's the one model I should look at getting?
I started with the Badger Patriot 105 as it came highly goon-recommended, and I agree with them. It's been a great airbrush to learn on and hearty enough to withstand some user failure. I think mine is missing a rubber sealing ring, but has otherwise lasted me 2-3 years of mostly seasonal work.

edit: According to the manual, it can also be used for cake decorating and spray on tans!

quote:

Badger https://www.badgerairbrush.com and https://www.badger-airbrush.co.uk (airbrushes and paints) - USA-made airbrushes, the Patriot 105 is considered ‘the AK-47 of airbrushes’ (goon quote, it's a high compliment) because of its simplicity and versatility. It’s perfect for priming and base coating. The Renegade Krome and Sotar are high detail brushes and are also highly rated. I would NOT recommend the Sotar as your first airbrush (many people snap them up in Amazon's crazy cheap deals) unless you're prepared to learn very quickly about thinning your paints and keeping your airbrush clean. Note that Badger price their airbrushes lower than other brands because historically they just have. This does not mean they are 'cheaper' or lower quality, they are just as good as much more expensive airbrushes.

Weirdo fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 4, 2018

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Thanks! Just sent them an email to get the ball rolling.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Arthil posted:

So I bought something from CoolMinisOrNot last month. On December 5th to be exact. They took my money on December 7th. All I've been giving are some very canned responses, not really answering my concerns when putting in a support ticket.

Are they known for being godawful and a Do Not Buy From website despite having good forums?

CMoN wildly underestimated the volume of Black Friday sales and they have a huge backlog of orders that they're working through.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

bonds0097 posted:

So if I already have a Krome getting the Patriot 105 would make a lot of sense?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I've got the 105 and it's great, easy to care for and does a good job of laying down basecoats and primer.
If I was going to get a detail airbrush, should I get the Sotor 2020 or the Renegade Krome?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Cmon is way behind on a ton of people's orders, and it seems entirely random as to who's getting their stuff fulfilled at any given moment.

If I want a new detail brush, am I better served getting the Krome or the Sotar?

E: ^ Oh, hey, how 'bout that.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So if I already have a Krome getting the Patriot 105 would make a lot of sense?

Absolutely. You'll be so much happier for basecoating and priming and cleaning will be infinitely easier and faster.

As for Krome vs. Sotar, can't say. I hear they're very comparable in quality and function but they handle differently where the Sotar is more like a pen or pencil and the krome handles like a traditional airbrush. For my part, I use the Krome very similarly to the 105, just much closer to the model and at lower PSI.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, Sotar is meant for detailing. You can change out the needles and such like anything else, but it's meant as a detailing brush above all else. Like, doing space marine knee-pad shading and smaller.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

bonds0097 posted:

Absolutely. You'll be so much happier for basecoating and priming and cleaning will be infinitely easier and faster.

As for Krome vs. Sotar, can't say. I hear they're very comparable in quality and function but they handle differently where the Sotar is more like a pen or pencil and the krome handles like a traditional airbrush. For my part, I use the Krome very similarly to the 105, just much closer to the model and at lower PSI.

Awesome. I have been really happy with the Krome.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
I JUST bought a 200-9 gravity feed like 3 days ago.

But it was like $60 on amazon with free shipping so..really about the same price anyway.

So far I'm happy with it. I actually have been getting really frustrated with the 105. Learning the action of the trigger is too much for me on trying to get used to airbrushing. I like that it's set-and-forget on the 200-9, because I really am only laying down primer and basecoats with it anyway.

I know a ton of people love the 105 but I'm just stupid I guess, I have a really hard time figuring out my paint consistency/PSI with the variable trigger in the mix as well. It's been a gamble whether I can reproduce spraying vallejo grey primer effectively. I keep loving up and having to strip and start over.

I DID also pick up a 3 set of black/grey/white badger airbrush primer in case it's easier to work with.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I'm 100% in need of a detail airbrush, so Sotar it is. Thanks, dudes.

General Olloth posted:

I JUST bought a 200-9 gravity feed like 3 days ago.

But it was like $60 on amazon with free shipping so..really about the same price anyway.

So far I'm happy with it. I actually have been getting really frustrated with the 105. Learning the action of the trigger is too much for me on trying to get used to airbrushing. I like that it's set-and-forget on the 200-9, because I really am only laying down primer and basecoats with it anyway.

I know a ton of people love the 105 but I'm just stupid I guess, I have a really hard time figuring out my paint consistency/PSI with the variable trigger in the mix as well. It's been a gamble whether I can reproduce spraying vallejo grey primer effectively. I keep loving up and having to strip and start over.

I DID also pick up a 3 set of black/grey/white badger airbrush primer in case it's easier to work with.

I've come to really prefer the Badger primers over Vallejo, but I specifically switched for a more matte finish. You probably will find the Badger stuff easier to work with, although a drop of flow improver for every 15-20 drops of primer isn't a bad idea, if you've got it handy. For your base coats, you can go fairly heavy, since the primer shrinks as it dries to retain detail. I've had models I thought I really heavily over-painted turn out just fine. As long as your model isn't totally blurry with wet primer, you're probably okay.

What specifically's giving you trouble with your priming?

selnaric
Feb 20, 2006

Finished another one.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Excellent tartan. I had to strip mine and restart after messing it up, myself.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Arthil posted:

I've some Dark Age minis from them and tacked a few odd paints onto the orders, and they've always arrived in a week or two. They were missing some tiny clear resin skulls once. I contacted customer support and it took quite awhile but they did end up sending them to me without any trouble aside from the wait. Maybe CMON published stuff gets priority treatment though, I dunno.

selnaric posted:

Finished another one.

Is that knot design on his chest freehand? Because if so :stare:

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 5, 2018

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Crossposting.

Figured I'd post the summation of my work the past few weeks. The board is about 95% done and I still need to base these models, but otherwise they're all done.

Next up, 15 Dire Avengers, 5 Shining Spears, and touching up 3 Wave Serpents :(

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Those little obelisks are sick as hell, where'd ya get em?

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

I'm 100% in need of a detail airbrush, so Sotar it is. Thanks, dudes.

I've come to really prefer the Badger primers over Vallejo, but I specifically switched for a more matte finish. You probably will find the Badger stuff easier to work with, although a drop of flow improver for every 15-20 drops of primer isn't a bad idea, if you've got it handy. For your base coats, you can go fairly heavy, since the primer shrinks as it dries to retain detail. I've had models I thought I really heavily over-painted turn out just fine. As long as your model isn't totally blurry with wet primer, you're probably okay.

What specifically's giving you trouble with your priming?

Trouble getting a good spray pattern. Lots of big specs on top of the main spray. Stuff I threw in the stripper was fuzzy looking, more than being too much it looked like a bad texture. Was trying everything from no flow improver to maybe 20% at different psis and the pattern was always the same hosed up. Deep cleaned as well to make sure it wasn't due to residue.

Specifically have lots of trouble with the grey. The black is really forgiving, can just slap that poo poo on basically. Also having trouble with Screaming Skull in the same way on basecoats. Chalky whites give me a lot of trouble in the thinning department I guess.

Going to try the badger grey tomorrow probably.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Boon posted:

Crossposting.

Noice. Very impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

JackMann posted:

Less tangentially, I'm painting up this troll, and a buddy suggested a leonine paint scheme, since the tail looks a bit lionish. I was thinking that I might try sculpting some hair on him as a mane. However, I've done very little sculpting, so I was wondering if any one has a good guide on the subject.

This got kind of lost in the airbrush talk. Any recommendations?