Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Serf posted:

six-string samurai would make a badass campaign setting actually

Dibs on the little kid that speaks only in weird screams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Fans posted:

The only real big issue is I can’t even think of a fighter Bard in fiction. It’s a uniquely DnD bit of weirdness

If you're into bad fantasy novels, Patrick Rothfuss desperately clings to his protagonist as a bard in The Name of the Wind. But like I said, it's bad.

So maybe there's a reason nobody makes their protagonists bard.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Fans posted:

The only real big issue is I can’t even think of a fighter Bard in fiction. It’s a uniquely DnD bit of weirdness

I can’t think of any fictional examples of a cleric.
Van Helsing certainly isn’t one, and all the Arthurian examples are closer to Paladin.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Fans posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure dnd is the origin of the wacky bard. FFIV came later certainly. Tom Bombadil was a bard of sorts but wasn't the silly bard stereotype certainly. I think "warrior poets" have long been spoken of more so than literal instrument-playing fighter musicians.

But yeah, the bard is useless not because of what powers he has in the book, but because at the recruiting meeting, when one guy has a big axe, another a bow, another a big beard and a staff, everyone laughs and calls this guy useless because he has a keytar or whatever instead(he charms his way into being recruited anyway). It sounds to me like this originated in dnd but that's totally the narrative place that the archetypal bard joining the adventuring party starts from.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 4, 2018

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

DalaranJ posted:

I can’t think of any fictional examples of a cleric.
Van Helsing certainly isn’t one, and all the Arthurian examples are closer to Paladin.

I mean there is our lord and saviour Jesus Christ. Cure disease, Create Food it’s all there.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Conspiratiorist posted:

But it *is* ridiculous. Bards are Wizards except somehow "using music!" leading to a big thematic disconnect from the rest of the classes.

They suffer from an identity crisis worse than Rangers and Warlocks.
On the other hand, I think that Wizards are the thematic disconnect because they're so wide ranging. Split all Wizards into Necromancers, Elementalists, Demon Wizards, Music Wizards etc.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fans posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsI5B6QQqIk

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Just a point of clarification, Sam went gnome bard because that was the answer to least played class and least played race, rather than most useless of each.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Every adventurer group needs a bard. How else are people going to find out about your great deeds and compose mocking poems about your rivals and enemies?

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
gently caress all of you if you don't know and love Fflewddur, who is both comedy relief and a badass warrior.

http://prydain.wikia.com/wiki/Fflewddur_Fflam

FF is loosely based on a dude from the Mabinogion, and everyone who loves fantasy poo poo should read the Pyrdain books.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chronicles_of_Prydain

quote:

Fflewddur Fflam, son of Godo, is a cantrev lord of Prydain. He is referred to as a King, but it is made clear that he is a very minor king of a tiny kingdom at best, much less important than the High King who rules Prydain. His kingdom is described as being dreary and dull. As a result, he often leaves it to go wandering as an unofficial bard. Though he returns from time to time to rule, he once mentions that he gets the feeling that the people of his country get along just fine even if he's not there.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Malpais Legate posted:

So everyone here thinks fighters suck because they're just jealous of jocks?

That's some dumb fuckin logic my dude.

:v:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Wow I did indeed totally forget about him. I used to love those books and that's genuinely pre-d&d.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
All y'all gonna be hosed when you gotta get your Sampo back and Väinämöinen hears all the poo poo you've been talking about bards.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Conspiratiorist posted:

But it *is* ridiculous. Bards are Wizards except somehow "using music!" leading to a big thematic disconnect from the rest of the classes.

They suffer from an identity crisis worse than Rangers and Warlocks.

I'm honestly not seeing this. The idea of supernatural musicians are a common cultural trope even outside Tolkienesque fantasy. The Pied Piper is pretty much a "town hires you to take care of its rat problem" level 1 quest. Pretty much every Disney Princess has a metaphorically magical singing voice. And then there's the whole "playing a lullaby to make someone sleep" which is common enough to be a cliche.

And that's not getting into non-European influences, like the Arabic sha'ir (poets who could converse with genies and gain access to esoteric knowledge and powers).

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 4, 2018

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Wow I did indeed totally forget about him. I used to love those books and that's genuinely pre-d&d.

High five jeff

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Honestly shai'ir has been implemented as a wizard subclass and most of the song magic is just pulling off the wizard spell list.

3e bards are in a weird place where they don't do anything as well as the other classes and their buffs aren't super hot without massive investment. You can totally make a dope bard if you specialize in something, but the bard was always the "5th party member" which was usually code for "not good". Required a ton of dumpster diving to be brought up to par.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Oh my god you guys are nerds.

Muhammad Ali posted:

I done wrestled with an alligator, I done tussled with a whale; handcuffed lightning, thrown thunder in jail; only last week, I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalised a brick; I'm so mean I make medicine sick.

There. Guy that says "I am the moon" poo poo before punching you so hard you're not famous no more. Bards are for playing Muhammad Ali.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Razorwired posted:

Oh my god you guys are nerds.

There. Guy that says "I am the moon" poo poo before punching you so hard you're not famous no more. Bards are for playing Muhammad Ali.

I mean the bard is the best wrestler and grappler and boxer so I guess this completely checks out.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Does anyone know of a good generator or other easy way to make old looking scrolls and parchments? I like to print out important bits of flavor text for my players and am looking to make it look more "authentic". In this case the starting point for my next campaign is all the players being conscripted into the royal army because the orcs are invading and wanted to write out the summons.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Soylent Pudding posted:

Does anyone know of a good generator or other easy way to make old looking scrolls and parchments? I like to print out important bits of flavor text for my players and am looking to make it look more "authentic". In this case the starting point for my next campaign is all the players being conscripted into the royal army because the orcs are invading and wanted to write out the summons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIAYd8Qj7IU is a pretty good example. Quick summary: Coffee

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I'm supposed to play in a game of 5th edition. How's the class balance? hosed?

I was thinking Paladin, Ranger or Rogue but I am wary to play a martial class in DnD ever again.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Ignite Memories posted:

I was thinking Paladin, Ranger or Rogue but I am wary to play a martial class in DnD ever again.

The overall goon consensus is that 5e is significantly unbalanced in favor of casters. The paladin seems to be considered the strongest martial because of the spell slots it can use for spike damage on smites.

e: iirc the college of swords bard is considered very strong because it's a full caster that can also use a sword and shred sick guitar riffs.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ignite Memories posted:

Paladin is considered to be one of the strongest classes in the game.

Balance is much better then 3 not as good as 4. Nothing you pick is going to be useless and it's pretty hard to make a bad character.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Ignite Memories posted:

It's a lot better. No save or die effects levels the playing field considerably and Martial Classes are generally able to pump out Single Target damage in excess of Casters, who do better at AoE. Not only that but Concentration encourages you to avoid gettign hit, making buffing the Melee a lot more useful than yourself now and getting casters to share some of the high level buff love.

Casters in the end do come out ahead, but that's inevitable when they have a toolbox so much bigger than the Martial classes and those crazy end level spells. It's not perfect but it's not the massive yawning gulf between Martial and Casters that 3.5 was once you got even a little way into the level curve.

Another important change is they've basically got rid of stacking bonuses and replaced it with Advantage and Disadvantage as well as capping Ability Scores. That's cut back on a lot of the ability to break the game over your knee by stacking buffs or getting the right set of items/class combo and also just kept the whole game more sane as monster AC never really goes above 20, so it's not all about stacking Accuracy/AC for melee anymore. That and healing is more readily available from hit dice out of combat, really cutting down on the need for casters with Heal Spells.

If you're playing in a group that isn't powergaming then you probably won't notice the balance differences. Martial Classes make up for their lack of Spells with a small but useful set of unique abilities that can be fairly impressive, from how health tanky Barbarians are to the Fighters ability to pull off some real beautiful melee bullshit.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
Paladin is strong in this edition. Ranger and rogue much less so.

Paladin, by default, doesn't actually have a ton of spells to spend on smites, but multiclassing into a full caster gets you a lot of spell slots. I would recommend, as quick picks for that, Paladin 2 into College of Swords Bard, or Paladin 6 into either College of Lore Bard or Sorcerer.

PS: it also depends on what your objection to playing martial classes is. Mine is generally not that they are ineffectual (fighters are perfectly capable of dealing damage in 5e, and action surge makes for a good spike), but that they are unengaging to play. Battle Master offers maneuvers, but the other fighter subclasses don't have equivalents. Paladin, on the other hand, has spells (some from their normal list, some granted by oaths), their oath abilities, and smites. They do have passive abilities also, such as the excellent Aura of Protection, and those aren't as fun to use. I like to combine that with another casting class for a varied and effective combat toolkit.

Emy fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 5, 2018

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

Ranger and Rogues are junk. Paladins are great and dont give a gently caress about you're dumb wizard poo poo later on so I would recommend that 100%.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You should specifically stay away from PHB rangers (look around online for the UA ranger instead), berserker barbarians, and probably champion fighters. They're the absolute dregs.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Wait since when are rogues pit together with rangers as bad classes? I mean besides assassin or mastermind

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Ignite Memories posted:

Paladin is the most well-rounded martial with a good mix of offensive and defensive abilities plus spellcasting.
PHB Ranger is subpar - Hunter is functional but Beastmaster is garbage. There's an UA called Ranger Revised that makes the class overall okay.
Rogue's good unless the DM tries to dick you over with houseruled Sneak Attack rules, or is an rear end about stealth (for ranged rogues). Arcane Trickster is best because spellcasting but Thief is alright. Avoid Assassin.

Martials in 5e are quite adept at doing their job, as long as you don't expect their job to be much more than dealing (and taking) HP damage. Mind that there is little in the way of mechanics to really be a 'frontliner' for the party and that most encounters are one well-applied spell away from being trivialized, but dealing buttloads of single target damage is a very useful tool that full casters have limited access to for most of their careers.

Soylent Pudding posted:

e: iirc the college of swords bard is considered very strong because it's a full caster that can also use a sword and shred sick guitar riffs.

Sword Bard is okay but needs a Hexblade (1) or Paladin (2) dip to really shine.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
Any self-respecting bard should take that 2nd Warlock level for Disguise Self and Silent Image at will.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Another option for that second level is Devil's Sight so you can use Darkness and sword people up, grab Elven Accuracy later on and you can get super advantage.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Wait since when are rogues pit together with rangers as bad classes? I mean besides assassin or mastermind

Rogue (specifically melee Rogue) has some real issues that are easily solvable but not quite obvious to do so.

They are good at skills but relying on skill checks is inherently worse than using spells (plus there's a full casting class that is just as good at skill checks as Rogues are) with matters not helped by the hosed example DC math. And if being good at skills isn't that good a perk, then are they worth having around? What else have they got? They're the most fragile martials and their damage is at-a-glance subpar. So, out of the box, yeah no, not worth.

So you fix them. One way is to go ranged combat, which lets you ignore their inherent low AC (only light armor, no shield proficiency) and works well with their defensive abilities. This route goes the crossbow expert + sharpshooter combo, giving you good range and two attacks to facilitate Sneak Attacking, the Wood Elf that can easily hide or Arcane Trickster that can give themselves advantage through familiar.

For melee positioning is key, so you need the Mobility feat or the Swashbuckler archetype. Another way to deal with fragility is a Barbarian or Fighter dip for shield access and other useful abilities. Damage dealing is a concern as I said so you need Booming Blade or dual-wielding to bring that up. So your routes are essentially Arcane Trickster with Mobility, Swashbuckler with Magic Initiate, or some multiclassing.

And in general for Rogues, they benefit greatly from getting easy advantage sources from their party, or chances to apply their Sneak Attack twice per round. TBH I'd never play a Rogue in a party without Haste.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Fans posted:

Theres a massive saga that isnt quite done: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wars_of_Light_and_Shadow

edit: counterpoint to that long rear end serious saga there is the other end of the spectrum: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spellsinger

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 5, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fans posted:

quote:

Lieutenant-Colonel John Malcolm Thorpe Fleming Churchill, DSO & Bar, MC & Bar (16 September 1906 – 8 March 1996), was a British Army officer who fought throughout the Second World War armed with a longbow, bagpipes, and a basket-hilted Scottish broadsword.
Oh wait you said fiction.

Carry on.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Honestly shai'ir has been implemented as a wizard subclass and most of the song magic is just pulling off the wizard spell list.
You say this and mean "there's no need for a bard". I read it and think "there's no need for a wizard".

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Rogues are the skillmonkey class, and they're considered bad because of the problems with the skill system: most importantly that the reliability and utility of skills is heavily contingent on how the GM runs the game (relative to spells, which tend to be of inarguable power).

They're not as bad as a Beastmaster Ranger, but that's a rather low bar to clear.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Rogues aren't bad by default, they're just mediocre, but they have some noxious archtypes or whatever they're called. Everything it can do can be done better by someone else, and also the bard. If you play as a rogue you will be fine, and if nobody plays a bard you will shine in moments where you get to use your skills and maybe one or two impressive sneak attacks where you rolled hot as gently caress, but that's also about it.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Gurney Halleck from Dune qualifies as a Bard, right?

Also I don't think Bards are necessarily warrior poets, they could legitimately just be poets (or singers or storytellers or actors). It's just that anyone who embarks on a D&D adventure eventually needs to figure out how to kill something with a sling or crossbow, and Bards got the rapier in 3e because they're not as deep in the magic rabbit hole as wizards.

Edit: Think of it like this. Wizards in D&D are kinda like "what if Isaac Newton were magical?" Bards in D&D are more like "What if Homer or Valmiki were magical?"

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 5, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nickoten posted:

Also I don't think Bards are necessarily warrior poets, they could legitimately just be poets (or singers or storytellers or actors). It's just that anyone who embarks on a D&D adventure eventually needs to figure out how to kill something with a sling or crossbow, and Bards got the rapier in 3e because they're not as deep in the magic rabbit hole as wizards.

I think part of the disconnect is that in fiction, you can always play-off a set-piece in a way that the Bard doesn't need to be able to contribute meaningfully to combat (think Mati in the Planeteers), but it's difficult-if-not-impossible to do the same in an RPG that tries to emulate such a story.

So you can have stories where the Bard is largely combat-incapable and not have it shoot them in the foot because the story still works out, and that feeds into the mentality that Bards aren't great at combat, even if the game version then makes a bunch of allowances to allow the Bard to contribute meaningfully in combat anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think part of the disconnect is that in fiction, you can always play-off a set-piece in a way that the Bard doesn't need to be able to contribute meaningfully to combat (think Mati in the Planeteers), but it's difficult-if-not-impossible to do the same in an RPG that tries to emulate such a story.

So you can have stories where the Bard is largely combat-incapable and not have it shoot them in the foot because the story still works out, and that feeds into the mentality that Bards aren't great at combat, even if the game version then makes a bunch of allowances to allow the Bard to contribute meaningfully in combat anyway.

Yeah and if you look at it in relative terms I think it still holds up, because D&D is a universe where "traditional" combat skill is not necessarily going to be what determines success in combat, but the setting still pretends it is. So the D&D Bard can still honestly say "I suck at martial combat" and bumble his way through a scene like that (while still getting to roll 1d8 +3 or something to contribute at least a little), but when it really matters in-fiction he can cast a spell to simulate Bards making a difference in important moments. You just have to look at class mechanics in D&D as a translation to D&D's wargame-inspired setting.