Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I guess stock buyers/sellers have only read about Meltdown, not Spectre :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

jaegerx posted:

I’m selling meltdown inside stickers. Who wants one?

I want one.

I also want the SA SHSC USB that was talked about before the holidays and then abandoned. It was abandoned right? You guys aren't holding out on me are you? I desperately need to move 16-64GB of hentai Linux ISOs hither and thither.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CLAM DOWN posted:

I mean, given that Spectre hits pretty much every chip out there, it's almost a rational response. Both of the big guys will need to redesign their poo poo, but in the meantime AMD can just point to Meltdown to steal market share.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean, given that Spectre hits pretty much every chip out there, it's almost a rational response. Both of the big guys will need to redesign their poo poo, but in the meantime AMD can just point to Meltdown to steal market share.

I genuinely don't see that happening. It's not like big VM private clouds or AWS are going to all of a sudden start buying AMD chips. I see AMD gaining value short-term but not by stealing market share from Intel, and I see Intel recovering and continuing just fine. The entire technology industry is a security dumpster fire and we're all hosed and nothing will ever change.

e: spelling

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 4, 2018

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

CLAM DOWN posted:

I genuinely don't see that happening. It's not like big VM private clouds or AWS is going to all of a sudden start buying AMD chips. I see AMD gaining value short-term but by stealing market share from Intel, and I see Intel recovering and continuing just fine. The entire technology industry is a security dumpster fire and we're all hosed and nothing will ever change.

I actually see the move to IaaS as a great thing for security, because hardware issues like this are in the provider's best interest to mitigate/resolve, and so it actually will be, whereas smaller places will say they can't afford to replace the hardware, and can't afford the performance hit on something like this.

I'm also very naïve and often take candy from strangers.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CLAM DOWN posted:

I genuinely don't see that happening. It's not like big VM private clouds or AWS is going to all of a sudden start buying AMD chips. I see AMD gaining value short-term but by stealing market share from Intel, and I see Intel recovering and continuing just fine. The entire technology industry is a security dumpster fire and we're all hosed and nothing will ever change.

Right, I should have said "try to steal market share" in that post. Just that regarding stock price, it does kind of make sense that people wouldn't really see Spectre as being something to drag down AMD's price.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's also like a 4 point Y axis. So while it looks bad cause OMG IT WENT FROM THE TOP OF THE GRAPH TO THE BOTTOM, it's not actually that much movement.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Docjowles posted:

It's also like a 4 point Y axis. So while it looks bad cause OMG IT WENT FROM THE TOP OF THE GRAPH TO THE BOTTOM, it's not actually that much movement.

Also if you think the hype is overblown, now would be a great time to buy discounted Intel stock

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

jaegerx posted:

I’m selling meltdown inside stickers. Who wants one?

Definitely interested.

ALSO

hihifellow posted:

Wonder if this was the reason behind Azure wanting to do updates on the hosts for the past few weeks.

lol Microsoft just went and restarted every single VM and instance in Azure last night rather than keep to their schedules and some of our clients are now on fire. None of mine though :yum:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mewse posted:

Also if you think the hype is overblown, now would be a great time to buy discounted Intel stock

It's only down $3 over the week and is still up from the price a month ago, so maybe not the best time to try and buy low.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sefal posted:

This was me last year when i started at the company i'm currently at.
even though this bitcoin mining stuff happened, my boss was still hesitant to remove local admin rights.
"too much work, users will come to bug you for every little install" I managed to convince him with explaining how ransomware would have hosed us up if that was the case.

edit: He still hasn't taken my advice of using a non admin account for daily use and a separate domain admin account.

We at least have separate accounts for domain admin.
Best part is I work at an AV/Security company. I'm just desktop support, and a contractor to boot, so I can't really push for a change. It just startled the hack out of me.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Eliminate 'every little install', problem solved. Why are so many computers getting snowflake software outside of the standard deployment?

We don't, really, so I'm not sure of the reasoning here. I get it for the teams testing releases and such, but Sales guys don't really need to be mucking around with installs. Half the time they ask us to do it anyway.

edit: talking with one of engineers about Meltdown/Spectre, and he brought up the point that our antivirus product is likely to be blamed for slowdowns caused by the patches for years to come, because it's *always* AV overhead from sniffing your file transfers that's the problem. He's probably not wrong.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 4, 2018

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My sense of fatalism means I don't have to respond to the CPU vulnerabilities because in the end we're all going to die anyway.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

In case anyone still doesn’t grasp how big of a deal this is, check out this PoC using JavaScript.

https://twitter.com/lavados/status/948716579801493506

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

One thing that definitely doesn’t work very well to stop being a passenger in your own life is being morose and defeatist. Focus on setting some achievable goals that aren’t dependent on others. Getting a promotion at work isn’t a useful goal because it’s not something you can control. Adding a new certification, or skill is a useful goal that will make you more employable.

Also, find a way to socialize with other people in your field. Go to user group meetings or happy hours or something and make some friends. Social networking is one of the best ways to improve job prospects.

Yeah I know. It’s just hard to feel any different since it feels like I’m in a tailspin and nothing seems to work anymore.

I’m trying to get ICND1, but it’s tough going because I can barely even focus on reading most of the tome. I’ll “read” the text, but it’s gone as soon as I move on along the page.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I got a call about a senior network engineer position paying really good money. I know I could get this job, but it's with a consultant / MSP firm, and my god do I not want to go back to doing that poo poo.

Feels good to be in a position where I can look at a job offer for 140% current salary and sleep soundly rejecting it.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

skooma512 posted:

Yeah I know. It’s just hard to feel any different since it feels like I’m in a tailspin and nothing seems to work anymore.

I’m trying to get ICND1, but it’s tough going because I can barely even focus on reading most of the tome. I’ll “read” the text, but it’s gone as soon as I move on along the page.

I really would suggest taking a Cisco course at a community college. The course is run by Cisco, and is split into 4 quarters. It really helped jump start my interest in networking, and get my CCNA.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

hihifellow posted:

lol Microsoft just went and restarted every single VM and instance in Azure last night rather than keep to their schedules and some of our clients are now on fire. None of mine though :yum:

Huh? There's no way they would just restart tens of thousands of production servers for customers without warning.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Peachfart posted:

I really would suggest taking a Cisco course at a community college. The course is run by Cisco, and is split into 4 quarters. It really helped jump start my interest in networking, and get my CCNA.

I took the first 2 of these back in college and they are REALLY good if you have issues with self-paced study, I would recommend them highly.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Ranter posted:

Huh? There's no way they would just restart tens of thousands of production servers for customers without warning.

Oh they sent emails out last night. After they already started rebooting machines.

quote:

Dear Azure customer,

An industry-wide, hardware-based security vulnerability was disclosed today. Keeping customers secure is always our top priority and we are taking active steps to ensure that no Azure customer is exposed to these vulnerabilities.

The majority of Azure infrastructure has already been updated to address this vulnerability. Some aspects of Azure are still being updated and require a reboot of some customer VMs for the security update to take effect.

You previously received a notification about Azure planned maintenance. With the public disclosure of the security vulnerability today, we have accelerated the planned maintenance timing and began automatically rebooting the remaining impacted VMs starting at PST on January 3, 2018. The self-service maintenance window that was available for some customers has now ended, in order to begin this accelerated update.

You can see the status of your VMs, and if the update completed, within the Azure Service Health Planned Maintenance Section in the Azure Portal.

During this update, we will maintain our SLA commitments of Availability Sets, VM Scale Sets, and Cloud Services. This reduces impact availability and only reboots a subset of your VMs at any given time. This ensures that any solution that follows Azure’s high availability guidance remains available to your customers and users. Operating system and data disks on your VM will be retained during this maintenance.

You should not experience noticeable performance impact with this update. We’ve worked to optimize the CPU and disk I/O path and are not seeing noticeable performance impact after the fix has been applied. A small set of customers may experience some networking performance impact. This can be addressed by turning on Azure Accelerated Networking (Windows, Linux), which is a free capability available to all Azure customers.

This Azure infrastructure update addresses the disclosed vulnerability at the hypervisor level and does not require an update to your Windows or Linux VM images. However, as always, you should continue to apply security best practices for your VM images.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Good. That's the cloud, it's not your datacenter so get used to poo poo getting rebooted.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mewse posted:

No one should think this is overhyped because this is hilariously bad and widespread, but people should also just accept that these companies will never change or die and we should all get used to massive vulnerabilities like this. Party on Garth.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

hihifellow posted:

Oh they sent emails out last night. After they already started rebooting machines.

loving lol.

But now I'm wondering why I have zero alerts in my inbox this morning....

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

hihifellow posted:

I had to read it twice before I was sure of what I was reading when I got that email.

"wait they've already started rebooting?"
"lol"

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

quote:

This Azure infrastructure update addresses the disclosed vulnerability at the hypervisor level
Huh interesting. What are they actually doing then, patching the kernel images during load, inserting random delays/randomly evicting cache lines, or what?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Guaranteed many people think these rolling reboots fix their vulnerability issue at the OS level

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Sepist posted:

Guaranteed many people think these rolling reboots fix their vulnerability issue at the OS level

What's the vulnerability at the OS level if the hypervisor is patched?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Ranter posted:

Azure's logic is that if it's production, you should be running it in an availability set. Which is true.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ranter posted:

What's the vulnerability at the OS level if the hypervisor is patched?

Literally the main vulnerability is still there, accessing private kernel memory. You have to patch the OS as well. The VM host patch addresses the host escape issue.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

CLAM DOWN posted:

Literally the main vulnerability is still there, accessing private kernel memory. You have to patch the OS as well. The VM host patch addresses the host escape issue.

But to be fair the host escape is a super huge mega deal and OS is only sorta a huge mega big deal.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is the windows update patch out for this yet? If so, is wsus already receiving it?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sickening posted:

Is the windows update patch out for this yet? If so, is wsus already receiving it?

It's out, but it's all kinds of hosed it, it causes BSODs on most 3rd party AV solutions right now because they don't abide by some kind of compatibility reg key. If you don't have this key and use a third party AV than regular Windows Update won't even prompt you for the patch.

If you're on Windows 10 and Windows Defender you're fine, otherwise hold onto ur butts.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I was literally coming back to ask what everyone is doing re: client patching. Holding off a few days? There's no known malware spreading around rapidly yet right?

edit: we're a Sophos AV/Encryption shop. Apparently they already addressed the registry/BSOD stuff for F*CKWIT lol but the updates aren't pushing to clients til tomorrow: https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/128053

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 4, 2018

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

There's already PoC JavaScript implementations running in browsers, in a day or two we'll probably see the coinminer-ads replaced with password-sniffing Spectre exploits.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ranter posted:

I was literally coming back to ask what everyone is doing re: client patching. Holding off a few days? There's no known malware spreading around rapidly yet right?

edit: we're a Sophos AV/Encryption shop. Apparently they already addressed the registry/BSOD stuff for F*CKWIT lol but the updates aren't pushing to clients til tomorrow: https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/128053

I would not recommend waiting, it should be considered in the wild.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's out, but it's all kinds of hosed it, it causes BSODs on most 3rd party AV solutions right now because they don't abide by some kind of compatibility reg key. If you don't have this key and use a third party AV than regular Windows Update won't even prompt you for the patch.

If you're on Windows 10 and Windows Defender you're fine, otherwise hold onto ur butts.

We use Sophos, which is one with an improper reg key. The official ETA on fix from them is "Sometime next week" :negative:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Security departments are paralyzed right now as their mandate requires AV but AV is preventing the deployment of the patch.

It's like Kirk talking a computer to death.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Security departments are paralyzed right now as their mandate requires AV but AV is preventing the deployment of the patch.

it's an ouroboros of poo poo eating itself to death

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

bull3964 posted:

I think I just got the go ahead the nuke all virus scan software... the dream is live.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

bull3964 posted:

I notified my boss yesterday morning about this, our 12 man security department still hasn't notified us about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bull3964 posted:

I just messaged our security people about the AV because I know this is gonna be a "WHOA ALL OF THIS STUFF NEEDS TO BE PATCHED RIGHT NOW!" issue on Monday.