Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Posted as requested: I had a thread ripping script laying around from CSPAM days and modified it to count up the dubious award of "who's the most derek-obsessed poster in the thread", as a percentage of total posts. The results may not surprise you

D1E is 71.58% obsessed (68 out of 95)
D_Smart is 55.09% obsessed (1741 out of 3160)
Dementropy is 51.28% obsessed (341 out of 665)
BrutalistMcDonalds is 50.00% obsessed (8 out of 16)
Talez is 41.67% obsessed (5 out of 12)
Bushmaori is 41.67% obsessed (5 out of 12)
Variable 5 is 39.90% obsessed (164 out of 411)
Mein Kampf Enthusiast is 38.89% obsessed (7 out of 18)
Differo Cathedra is 36.36% obsessed (4 out of 11)
Mirificus is 35.34% obsessed (885 out of 2504)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Not bottom sniping

Mods! My bottom!

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Mne nravitsya posted:

I can’t tell if your are trolling me, so I will go with assumption that you are not :wave:

I was using an example from my home turf to show that no matter how dedicated you and me are to our trade, as long as we keep supporting erroneous business models that poo poo on the customer with our work, we are part of the problem. With regards to the happenings on the diesel market I personally made the choice to go away from engine design on the personal vehicle market and pursue a different career in vehicle engineering.

I have no doubt that people in the video game industry are dedicated to their trade and love their work... But even for an outsider the industry has become a crooked abomination of the entertainment sector especially for AAA projects and I am no friend of Werner von Brauning your way with "well at least he loved what he was doing and gave it his best"

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Posted as requested: I had a thread ripping script laying around from CSPAM days and modified it to count up the dubious award of "who's the most derek-obsessed poster in the thread", as a percentage of total posts. The results may not surprise you

LOL I'm not even on the list.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ManofManyAliases posted:

i wasn't looking for belt-related posts, unfortunately

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!
oh and kudos to derek for having the crusty, old-man balls to post what he thinks is the law firm.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Raskolnikov posted:

A+ shitposting brought to you buy fuckitall

Build me brick by brick like one of your French women.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Jason Sextro posted:

We get feisty MoMA when things are serious, so he's definitely trying to distract us from something. Is it Erris or Dolvak, though?

I'm thinking Erris. He gets to dropping those F bombs on a regular when his bowtie gets out of whack about Star Citizen being in trouble.

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line
So my meds stopped working a week or so ago. Reading 7500+ posts to catch up til now has just about kept me sane. Keep doing what you do folks.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

ManofManyAliases posted:

:same:

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i have a lawyer pal who is a pretty dang legit bigwig and i told him about all this and he's interested in speaking to people about a potential consumer lawsuit. so i'd like to direct people to him who either have given up money to CIG or know a bunch of people who have. if i'm understanding the mechanics of this whole fiasco wrong forgive me as i am not myself a lawyer but it seems like a big class action filed against CIG once this piece of poo poo fails to get released as promised seems inevitable right?

anyway I bought PMs specifically for this purpose for please PM me if you're interested

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

That DICK! posted:

i have a lawyer pal who is a pretty dang legit bigwig and i told him about all this and he's interested in speaking to people about a potential consumer lawsuit. so i'd like to direct people to him who either have given up money to CIG or know a bunch of people who have. if i'm understanding the mechanics of this whole fiasco wrong forgive me as i am not myself a lawyer but it seems like a big class action filed against CIG once this piece of poo poo fails to get released as promised seems inevitable right?

anyway I bought PMs specifically for this purpose for please PM me if you're interested

Appropriate Username/what Ortwin is saying when he reads this post Combo.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

oh and kudos to derek for having the crusty, old-man balls to post what he thinks is the law firm.

You should've toxxed, bro.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

DapperDon posted:

I'm thinking Erris. He gets to dropping those F bombs on a regular when his bowtie gets out of whack about Star Citizen being in trouble.

nuh uh

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

That DICK! posted:

He won't succeed. Send him this first, before you start referring people. This way he can read the various TOS versions and see that there is an ironclad arbitration clause that he stands ZERO chance of getting around.

http://dereksmart.com/forums/topic/star-citizen-tos/

----------------

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

It's okay Toast, we know

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

lol

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

He won't succeed. Send him this first, before you start referring people. This way he can read the various TOS versions and see that there is an ironclad arbitration clause that he stands ZERO chance of getting around.

:smuggo:

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

D_Smart posted:

alright cool, thanks for the heads up

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

please don't send your friend a derek blog

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Yeah wait for the book at least.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

ManofManyAliases posted:

You need to post more.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
My name is Xanther Stockphoto and I'm here to lawyer you regarding Star Citizen. Sit down for a spell, I'll have Trudy Toodang brew us a fresh pot.

You'll notice my sleeves are rolled up, so I'm serious and ready to win your case.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

oh is that this thread's "guy"

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

He is the thread.

We are inside of him.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

If that blog post doesn't just link to a tweet that links to a different blog post then I will be very disappointed.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah pretty much. I "care" about the lawsuit to the extent that it's funny and I like hearing "lol CIG's getting sued by Crytek" and I genuinely am not concerned with the day-to-day speculation about the next moves of the companies or legal firms involved. Some people are and that's fine, I'll let them hash it out. But it definitely doesn't seem worth having a slapfight over to me. I feel pretty much the same way about any of Derek's "calls" - like it just seems like such a weird hill to die on. To my mind the things worth really ribbing him over are the funny self-owns like the Leonard Skinly incident, and the only thing that's actually kind of legitimately "frustrating" is when he stops interacting with people and just copy/pastes his whole blog for fifteen posts in a row. Everything else is just the normal ebb and flow of the thread.

But I guess we got fiesty MoMA today, so some light slapfighting is probably on the menu.

:same:

I just hope it’s funny. Disney ending is the best ending too.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Just posting to make the list... Derek Smart was right?

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

fear and self loathing in the verse

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

D_Smart posted:

They are not using CryEngine pure any more. Neither is Amazon.

Star Engine (custom) = CE + bullshit hacks

Lumberyard (custom) = CE + advancements

This is precisely why I had stated that those clowns couldn't have switched their custom code from CE to LY in "a matter of days", and that they LIED about it.

At the time, weren't the Lumberyard enhancements very minimal AWS integration stuff? Based on chatter from my gamedev friends, it seemed that Lumberyard meat and potatoes were still CE (no idea of the status now)

Edit: I remember thinking it was dumb at the time because it seemed like none of the AWS integration would actually be helpful and it was unlikely that they'd be able to integrate any future structural engine changes very easily. For better or for worse, if CIG's changes are extensive as they claim then they're basically a complete fork.

ryde fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 4, 2018

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

There's an argument to be made that the clickwrap itself doesn't provide for sufficient ability to know when the terms have changed, and some people are effectively still covered by previous ToS, or using a browsewrap, which is inherently weaker as a claim, generally because the ability to force a scroll through the contract, then get an assent is slightly harder.

What's got a wimple and had to code up a browsewrap in 1998 that allowed for a full scroll?

<---- This guy.

I'm not actually sure which I've clickwrapped in SC. I get so far with downloading the client and do something more fun, like digging a hole, or hitting myself in the head.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

That DICK! posted:

oh is that this thread's "guy"

Warlord. We use the honorific 'warlord'.

There's a couple of other adjectives that can modify it.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Also hear a lot about Amazon's work revealing a ton of slapdash code in CryEngine, and gamedev friends saying that CE is horrible in general.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Hav posted:

Gonna float the idea that MoMa is Ivanka, and she's pissed today.

Ivanka can't eat shark.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Alan Smithee posted:

where is the loving ending

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

ryde posted:

Also hear a lot about Amazon's work revealing a ton of slapdash code in CryEngine, and gamedev friends saying that CE is horrible in general.

I guess there is a reason that posting game code in the coding horrors thread is considered to be cheating.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I guess there is a reason that posting game code in the coding horrors thread is considered to be cheating.

the game industry underpays, does constant crunch time and it's not like a "real" industry where something bad happens if you have terrible code beyond "the game doesn't work as well" so it's not like there's any regulation to have sane development practices

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ryde posted:

At the time, weren't the Lumberyard enhancements very minimal AWS integration stuff? Based on chatter from my gamedev friends, it seemed that Lumberyard meat and potatoes were still CE (no idea of the status now)

Nope. If you look at the changelog it's easy to see that even the first public version of LY was way beyond just AWS stuff.

----------------

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

SearchTheStars42 posted:

I am very happy to be free + clear of this mess. Just got my $165 back yesterday. Thx to the refund Reddit guides for the help

Congrats!

It's good to know that for all the churn, this thread still serves a legitimate purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Hav posted:

There's an argument to be made that the clickwrap itself doesn't provide for sufficient ability to know when the terms have changed, and some people are effectively still covered by previous ToS, or using a browsewrap, which is inherently weaker as a claim, generally because the ability to force a scroll through the contract, then get an assent is slightly harder.

What's got a wimple and had to code up a browsewrap in 1998 that allowed for a full scroll?

<---- This guy.

I'm not actually sure which I've clickwrapped in SC. I get so far with downloading the client and do something more fun, like digging a hole, or hitting myself in the head.

There are lots of case law precedent which have defeated all of that. Which is why TOS and such are still upheld by every court that they enter and in which plaintiffs attempt to get them tossed in part or in whole. Particular, they don't stand a snowball in hell chance of getting the arbitration clause tossed, let alone the whole TOS in order to get around that.

And it doesn't matter who read and agreed to what, or when, each has an arbitration clause in it.

----------------