Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

kujeger posted:

Same, but also for icons and colors.

There are enough species portraits, empire icons and colors that there need never be duplicates in a single game.

I just want the game to not spawn empires the same colour next to each other. Not like my most recent game where both adjacent empires were the same colour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
One QOL thing I would love is just to have some more flag colours and background designs in the base game. There are plenty of icons but it feels really limiting to have only the ~30 colours and ~10 backgrounds for your flag, especially because most of the backgrounds are awkward and I end up using the circle one for 80% of my races.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Fututor Magnus posted:

and does anyone have any empires you made with backstory etc.? i'm bored of the generic generated empires, at least in paradox's historical grand strats you have real history to give character to the states you play as and with.

ProZocK
Apr 22, 2013
Here, to make up for dicing you, multiple times, have some nice, calm text.

CassandraSupreme posted:

So far, I'm not having a lot of fun. It's generally too easy and while the endgame sounds cool by year 100-or-so it's basically "sit and wait while spamming the same techs"

If I wanted to create a meme-based gimmick civ to see if that would make it better, how can I do that?

Pusher bot and shover bot are determined exterminators. They will protect you from the terrible secrets of space with the help of your stairs.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ProZocK posted:

Pusher bot and shover bot are determined exterminators. They will protect you from the terrible secrets of space with the help of your stairs.
Pusher bot as an determined exterminator, shover bot as a rogue servitor. Play one, force spawn the other.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I made a hivemind called the Fistin Consciousness and imagined it was made up of so many men having hot gay sex at once that they all fused into one big sweaty being

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

I like this one

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I made a hivemind called the Fistin Consciousness and imagined it was made up of so many men having hot gay sex at once that they all fused into one big sweaty being

That's what I imagine your posts are like

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

That sounds like an Oglaf comic. :haw:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

I had a similar concept to this. The SERAPHIM Communion. Assimilator bots built by fundamentalist terrorists on Earth who then eventually became self aware and assimilated all humanity to make them obedient to what they consider to be the will of God. Now they're going to bring the whole galaxy into communion :unsmigghh:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

PittTheElder posted:

Skimming through the save game list it looks like I have never played past 2500. And the only games to make it past 2400 were the 'purge every living thing in the galaxy' games (had to do it twice for the sweet sweet cheevo); just a shame you can't purge yourself at the end anymore.

I tend to have conquered the galaxy by 2350, but that's just my style. Which makes for an incredibly boring 2350-2400 now that the crises hit later.

3 achievements to go now, but they are all so drat RNG-based:

quote:

Infinite Creation
Birth a new universe.

Has peacefully completed the Infinity Machine event and, by luck, resulted in the black hole gaining The Mirror Of Knowledge modifier, among other things.

Requires the hidden technosphere_secrets country flag to be present which happens in 30% of the cases when a player chooses to help the Infinity Machine. Even with said flag there is only a probability of 33% to get the best possible outcome and with it this achievement.

quote:

Outside Context
Invade pre-FTL Earth while it is in the midst of a world war.

Has invaded Earth, found in the Sol system, while it is in the machine age

This one is more of a problem that I don't normally run xenophobe or militarist - I can probably get it, but the other two goddamn.

quote:

Stellar Performance
Take a trophy from a stellar being.

Has defeated the Stellarite devourer and chosen to make it a trophy (requires xenophobe or militarist ethics)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Yeah I have a decent number of the achievements for this game but I've given up hope of Outside Context.

I got Infinite Creation the first time I ever encountered the Infinity Sphere though :v:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
My dream addition to this game is a note on what systems you might lose if you disband a frontier outpost.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Veryslightlymad posted:

My dream addition to this game is a note on what systems you might lose if you disband a frontier outpost.
The territory system is being completely reworked for 2.0

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

I remember reading about some way to quickly cycle through galaxies for outside context but was too lazy to do it, I wonder if it still works.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

I tend to have conquered the galaxy by 2350, but that's just my style. Which makes for an incredibly boring 2350-2400 now that the crises hit later.

2.0 and the crisis timing slider can't come soon enough. :negative:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Aethernet posted:

2.0 and the crisis timing slider can't come soon enough. :negative:

Hopefully we can also use the slider to make the crisis events show up even later. I want to do dumb poo poo like making the crisis super-powerful, but also super-late. 500 years nothing, then bam: Galactic Apocalypse. :allears:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I think my favorite created empire was a bunch of Assimilator robots who I repeatedly failed in MP games to get going. After switching to a slightly less hated bunch, I found them as an AI empire the very next game, rampaging across the other side of the galaxy and beating the poo poo out of my friend. I was so proud of them. :unsmith:

Aethernet posted:

I just want the game to not spawn empires the same colour next to each other. Not like my most recent game where both adjacent empires were the same colour.

This, a thousand times this. Current game has 3 nearby empires, all adjacent to one another, all with the same color (by RNG, not Federation branding).

ulmont posted:

Yeah that slider can't come fast enough.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Just grabbed this with all the content DLC at the recommendation of coworkers, can't wait to lose gloriously. Anything to avoid for the first game?

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

fargom posted:

Just grabbed this with all the content DLC at the recommendation of coworkers, can't wait to lose gloriously. Anything to avoid for the first game?

Small planets are traps, only colonize 18+ tile planets, go down to 15 if you have to. Don't rush to colonize, it's better to develop your space resources first and spread your borders via frontier outposts. If you start next to a scary bad guy civ then rival them and try to find the other empires in your cluster, they'll rival them too and that gifs you a good boost to relations so you can make a non agg pact and eventually a defensive one. Read al the events, they're all decent and some have really good writing like the "shadow play" and the worm-in-waiting

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

gowb posted:

Small planets are traps, only colonize 18+ tile planets, go down to 15 if you have to. Don't rush to colonize, it's better to develop your space resources first and spread your borders via frontier outposts. If you start next to a scary bad guy civ then rival them and try to find the other empires in your cluster, they'll rival them too and that gifs you a good boost to relations so you can make a non agg pact and eventually a defensive one. Read al the events, they're all decent and some have really good writing like the "shadow play" and the worm-in-waiting

Until 2.0 hits, then small planets make good fortresses (if they happen to be in your chokepoint-systems).

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

LogisticEarth posted:

Until they become decedent and degenerate societies in need of cultural revival under a strong leader build out all their space-based resources.

Are we going to see some new mandates in the new patch?

Lol if you don't control the elections well enough to know what the next leader's mandate will be and nuke four stations right before they get elected.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

fargom posted:

Minerals are king!
Pay attention to build cost vs. income, most stuff won't break even for years.
Avoid upgrading planetary buildings if you have unemployed pops and can build new level 1 buildings for them, or unmined 2+ planets/asteroids.
Pay attention to neighbors' military capacity & fleet strength, try to keep the fleet strength at equivalent or better to deter wars. Don't go to war unless you have more ships & equal tech, or equal ships & more tech.

I'd avoid the 'specialized' empires/strategies to start with, and do your typical sci-fi trope expansionist military empire or peaceful technological alliance builder strategy. Pick one of the pre-made empires that sounds cool and seems like it would complement one of those two. Later you will have a good grasp on how the starting choices affect gameplay but for now just jump in.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
I've got enemies with jump drives and sentient AI, and through debris research I now also have the technologies, are we already set up for a crisis or do I need to install/use the technologies before it starts the countdown?

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

Maybe tomorrow, I'll find a home.

ulmont posted:

3 achievements to go now, but they are all so drat RNG-based:

This one is more of a problem that I don't normally run xenophobe or militarist - I can probably get it, but the other two goddamn.
Infinite Creation: I think if you start the research project right after an auto-save, you should be able to savescum (wait until after next auto-save on next attempt) until you get the rare outcome. That's what I remember doing at least.

Outside Context: WW2 Earth spawn chance is a flat 10% from what I recall. Easiest way to do this is start with a tiny ring galaxy with only 1 AI empire, no FEs (other settings don't matter). Send your science ship and starting corvettes in opposite directions to loop around the galaxy, ignoring surveying and just lifting fog to see star names. If Sol isn't on the map, restart. If it is, but it's medieval earth/present day earth/nuked wasteland earth, restart. Maximize influence generation to save time (my successful attempt after 3 restarts had Sol on the other side of the galaxy).

hexal
Sep 7, 2011

I do not understand how growth works at all. Why is the slow breeder plant pop growing nearly 5 times as fast as the normal bug pop? How do those numbers add up?

The slow breeder pop has grown 4 times on that planet and the other isn't even half way to it's first growth.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
If I remember right growth is split up amongst different species proportional to population already there. Like, ignoring food surplus and other modifiers, growth is 1/month. If you have 4 of pop A and 1 of pop B, then that 1/month gets divided into 0.8/month for A, and 0.2/month for B. It's so that empires that have multiple species (through migration, syncretic evolution, etc) don't have an effective x2/x3 or however much growth rate per planet.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

hexal posted:

I do not understand how growth works at all. Why is the slow breeder plant pop growing nearly 5 times as fast as the normal bug pop? How do those numbers add up?

The slow breeder pop has grown 4 times on that planet and the other isn't even half way to it's first growth.

Pop growth is proportional to existing pops. If you have a planet with 9 lizards and 1 bird, the lizards will grow at 90% their normal rate and the bird will grow at 10%. This is then modified by race-specific attributes like habitability & racial traits.

hexal
Sep 7, 2011
Well there goes the idea behind that run I guess. Mystery solved.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Look at this magnificent world-weary plant person. :allears:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Lprsti99 posted:

If I remember right growth is split up amongst different species proportional to population already there. Like, ignoring food surplus and other modifiers, growth is 1/month. If you have 4 of pop A and 1 of pop B, then that 1/month gets divided into 0.8/month for A, and 0.2/month for B. It's so that empires that have multiple species (through migration, syncretic evolution, etc) don't have an effective x2/x3 or however much growth rate per planet.

For the record, I'm extremely glad that it's this way, just so that micro-ing the gently caress out of your planet populations isn't all powerful.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So do we have an expected release date for 2.0 besides soon?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Mister Adequate posted:

Yeah I have a decent number of the achievements for this game but I've given up hope of Outside Context.

I got Infinite Creation the first time I ever encountered the Infinity Sphere though :v:

Same

And never again so far

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hunt11 posted:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/921420934178922496

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Relevant Tangent posted:

Lol if you don't control the elections well enough to know what the next leader's mandate will be and nuke four stations right before they get elected.

I... I had never considered doing that. Is this also a scathing commentary on political elections?!

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Hunt11 posted:

Next week

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hunt11 posted:

It's not soon, that's the one thing we do know that it won't be any time soon.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I'm boycotting the game I already paid for until there's more content for me to purchase. Hurry up and release it next week, Wiz. :colbert:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Thyrork posted:

I... I had never considered doing that. Is this also a scathing commentary on political elections?!

All of my fanatically xenophile pacifist empires have been "democracies" and it owns. So much free influence allows for some gargantuan blobs, and insulting other empires until they invade is hilarious.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

In the grim darkness of the far future there will be an update.

And how much do you think you'll be able to play before the first hotfix anyway? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Hunt11 posted:

I would be surprised if we got it before April, and it could easily be much later than that (I am really just pulling this out of my rear end). Keep in mind that we haven't even seen anything from the accompanying DLC so far.

Also,

Poil posted:

And how much do you think you'll be able to play before the first hotfix anyway? :v:

This is the real question. So much is changing that 2.0 is almost certainly going to include some insane bugs or balance issues. But 2.0. like, 3 should be pretty killer.

• Locked thread