Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Trig Discipline posted:

My wife and I had been together for about ten years before she ever met my grandparents on my father's side. We show up to their apartment in Texas and literally the first exchange as we walked through the door was:

"Hey, nice to see you! These are really nice apartments."
"Yeah, they do a good job of keeping the Mexicans out."

My wife is Mexican. :-/

My girlfriend's grandmother was of Spanish-Mexican descent and was very perturbed when "bad" Mexicans began moving into her neighborhood in San Diego.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I've never owned a car and I've maybe driven all of five times in my life, but even I know how to pump gas. It's possibly one of the simplest things to learn how to do. Even using a laundry machine is more complicated

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
My mother in law many years ago asked my kid, who was maybe 8 or 9 at the time?, if he had any cute girlfriends he wanted to talk about. He excitedly said "Yes! Her name is Maria and she's awesome!". Without skipping a beat she looks right at him and says "Remember, Mexican girls are only for practice".

Yeah, grandma mails her christmas presents now because jesus loving christ.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Maker Of Shoes posted:

My mother in law many years ago asked my kid, who was maybe 8 or 9 at the time?, if he had any cute girlfriends he wanted to talk about. He excitedly said "Yes! Her name is Maria and she's awesome!". Without skipping a beat she looks right at him and says "Remember, Mexican girls are only for practice".

Holy poo poo

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:psyduck:
Every day I grow more thankful for the family i had as a kid. Only the one great-aunt was racist, and even she set that aside when the "your grandchildren are mixed, deal with it or never see them" situation came up.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

The big tipoff that he has no idea what the gently caress he's doing is when he drags the sword across goddamned gravel while lining up the swing. C'mon goon.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Pook Good Mook posted:

My girlfriend's grandmother was of Spanish-Mexican descent and was very perturbed when "bad" Mexicans began moving into her neighborhood in San Diego.

That's normal. Even in stuff like Univision they favor lighter skinned Mexican people.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

:psyduck:
Every day I grow more thankful for the family i had as a kid. Only the one great-aunt was racist, and even she set that aside when the "your grandchildren are mixed, deal with it or never see them" situation came up.

Seriously. I lucked the gently caress out. Or rather, I was born after all that family drama had concluded. My aunts got disowned for not marrying Catholics (Greek Orthodox :argh:), but then one of my uncles almost died from a collapsed lung, the trauma brought my family together and my grandparents realized they were being unreasonable assholes and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Oh yes, Latin Americans are racist as gently caress. Especially Brazilians and Argentinians.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Rexxed posted:

In NJ, which also only has full service pumps, most of the gas station attendants seem to be recent immigrants instead of high school kids. I think they probably do a better job. Not knowing how to pump your own gas seems as stupid as not knowing how to change a tire, it's really simple stuff anyone who drives should know, even if they don't have to do it very often.

Then again maybe letting people do things themselves is too dangerous...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYapcN_utJU

I've kinda just been beaten down into accepting that like 99% of the people I meet would have no idea where to even start with changing a tire. When I was learning to drive(about 20 years ago), my parents treated it as a basic function of owning a car along the lines of knowing how to pop the trunk or turn on the headlights. And my parents had AAA to, it's not like we didn't have the resources to pay others to do it, it just never occurred to us not to do it ourselves unless the situation was very unsafe, like on the shoulder of a busy highway at night or something.

Now most people I meet who are younger than me have never changed one and probably never will. For a while I'd act all shocked but now I expect it.

Basebf555 has a new favorite as of 19:27 on Jan 4, 2018

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Railing Kill posted:

Milkshake duck'd. drat. Never change, old people. Never change.

Or, actually, do change. Yeah. That's it.

Well if someone's not willing to change enough to learn how to pump gasoline they're not going to change their 70 years of ingrained racism. And pumping gas is literally "pay, stick nozzle in a hole and press a lever until it automatically stops for you".

Mu Zeta posted:

That's normal. Even in stuff like Univision they favor lighter skinned Mexican people.

Just chiming in to say, I love your avatar.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

I had almost the same moment with my cat, but the mouse was in his mouth. He was strutting around, and I tried to get him to give it up instead of depositing it somewhere I couldn't find it. He finally dropped it and it bailed. I had a talk with him about how he fails catting. Then I made fun of him for having no thumbs...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Actually in 2001 three of my favorite male models died pumping gas.

That's why they need to ban orange mocha frappuccinos from gas stations.

Anyway, :golfclap:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't think I know how to change a tire, I should probably learn.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Baronjutter posted:

If you know how to use a screwdriver you could figure out how to change a tire if you really had to.

It's more a question of whether you have the jack / wrench / spare in your car.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Baronjutter posted:

Thing about stuff like this is that the owners manual of the car typically has instructions for things like this.

Sometimes you also get lucky and can watch someone else do it. A friend of mine changed a flat tire for his kids babysitter and watching him was actually really useful for when I changed a flat tire myself a few years later.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Samizdata posted:

I had almost the same moment with my cat, but the mouse was in his mouth. He was strutting around, and I tried to get him to give it up instead of depositing it somewhere I couldn't find it. He finally dropped it and it bailed. I had a talk with him about how he fails catting. Then I made fun of him for having no thumbs...

He probably would have killed it if you hadn’t interrupted him. What did you want him to do, get mouse guts all over the room?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Picnic Princess posted:

I tried to go to New Jersey once and ended up in Florida instead.

I was headed to Belize and missed my connection out of Chicago so I was rerouted.

Rookie mistake - You turned right at Albuquerque :laffo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8TUwHTfOOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Railing Kill posted:

Milkshake duck'd. drat. Never change, old people. Never change.

Or, actually, do change. Yeah. That's it.

Yeah, change to a state of DEATH

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
I had to change to a tire for the first time last week. I'm 28, just never owned a car until a couple years ago. It's really incredibly easy, as long as you have the tools in the back of your car, which you just obviously should. The only thing you actually have to know is which part of the car the weight can sit on (ie where you put the jack to lift it up). This is incredibly simple to figure out for someone who's never done it before, based on a diagram on the jack. Beyond that it's unscrewing some bolts and putting them back on. I mean I can see how you'd feel more comfortable with someone experienced showing you what to do but honestly even the gooniest least mechanically inclined person could figure it out in 5 minutes.

I literally can't imagine a functional adult making a sincere effort to pump gas and failing. Like what part could you gently caress up?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ariong posted:

He probably would have killed it if you hadn’t interrupted him. What did you want him to do, get mouse guts all over the room?

Look, he caught it in the tile-floored kitchen. He was marching around the carpeted living room. Don't get me wrong, I love my cat and he is an awesome little dude. But he fails at catting on SO many levels, I wonder how he made it to his age. (He was a rescue cat.)

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Magnus Manfist posted:

It's really incredibly easy, as long as you have the tools in the back of your car, which you just obviously should.

The problem here is that more and more cars are coming without spare tires at all. I don't think my Mustang even has the can of fix-a-flat. You can order the spare tire kit for like $250 I think though.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Magnus Manfist posted:

I literally can't imagine a functional adult making a sincere effort to pump gas and failing. Like what part could you gently caress up?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Samizdata posted:

Look, he caught it in the tile-floored kitchen. He was marching around the carpeted living room. Don't get me wrong, I love my cat and he is an awesome little dude. But he fails at catting on SO many levels, I wonder how he made it to his age. (He was a rescue cat.)

He brought that for you to teach you how to hunt. To him it is you who has failed at catting!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SiKboy posted:

He brought that for you to teach you how to hunt. To him it is you who has failed at catting!

Yeah, but I am not a cat, so I am okay with that.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Samizdata posted:

Yeah, but I am not a cat, so I am okay with that.

And you never will be a cat with that attitude.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Magnus Manfist posted:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Magnus Manfist posted:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

This is shockingly common. Station by my house has it happen at least 3 to 5 times a week.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This is shockingly common. Station by my house has it happen at least 3 to 5 times a week.

I always did wonder why they don't advertise the "lock" mechanism on Danish gas pumps.

Welp, now I know. Not that I ever use it, I just know it's there.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
To figure out how to jack the car up you have to actually know that you're even supposed to do that. Plenty of idiots have simply taken the wrench to those lug nuts without anything there to hold the car up.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It really does amaze me how bad people are at car basics. I once had a ex-girlfriend who would take her car to the dealer to get air in the tires. After finding this out I put air in them for her and she took it to the dealer because she apparently didn't trust my ability to use an air compressor.

Another time, I had a battery die on me during a date, I ended up borrowing a friend's car that worked nearby. The next day I drove it through a puddle and a massive cloud of steam came out because all the fluids were low or empty, and all the tires were scarily low.

Then again, I'm not exactly one to talk because my bad oil habits required me to get my engine swapped out last year.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

It wouldn't seem that unreasonable to me for someone to not know how to adjust and use a torque wrench or that the lug nuts go back on in a certain order.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's not that I can't do work on my car, it's just that I don't want to.

Also I make the dealer change my headlights because gently caress the Mazda 6.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I just tighten the bolts as best I can then drive to a shop to get a new tyre. Spares aren't meant to be long distance things.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ilmucche posted:

I just tighten the bolts as best I can then drive to a shop to get a new tyre. Spares aren't meant to be long distance things.

:same:

I did have a coworker once who called AAA to get his flat changed in the work parking lot. He got a lot of poo poo for that one, although his logic was sound enough as he was basically just like "yeah, I can change a tire, but I'm old and I pay for them to do it."

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Iron Crowned posted:

:same:

I did have a coworker once who called AAA to get his flat changed in the work parking lot. He got a lot of poo poo for that one, although his logic was sound enough as he was basically just like "yeah, I can change a tire, but I'm old and I pay for them to do it."

I called AAA once while changing a flat because I realized that the spare was woefully low on air. This was a CR-V and the spare sat on the outside of the back hatch, not a donut.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Azhais posted:

It's not that I can't do work on my car, it's just that I don't want to.

Also I make the dealer change my headlights because gently caress the Mazda 6.

Do they also have those lovely clips on the bulbs? My Mazda3 had some and they were terrible to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

ilmucche posted:

You're supposed to rotate which of your tires is the spare when you do a tire rotation so you don't have one wonky tire.

Also, protip: if you don't want to get an air compressor, using a bicycle pump to top off car tires actually doesn't suck too bad.