Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

They're going to probably refer you to a VSO because you're not at the stage yet where you need a lawyer. You can call up and possibly walk in to a local VSO today and get things started.

Where are you in the country?

I'm in central Illinois. I thought the NVLSP helped you prepare your case, putting together a strong packet, so you hopefully won't have to appeal later. I guess it won't hurt to at least see what they say, but I've got a pretty decent amount of veteran's organizations nearby to talk to if necessary. So far in my MEB/PEB and VA claims, I've been successful in what seems like a record time from the horror stories I hear about. VA claim took 60 days or so and my MEB/PEB was done in less than 6 months. Hoping my lucky streak continues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

U.S. Barryl posted:

I'm in central Illinois. I thought the NVLSP helped you prepare your case, putting together a strong packet, so you hopefully won't have to appeal later. I guess it won't hurt to at least see what they say, but I've got a pretty decent amount of veteran's organizations nearby to talk to if necessary. So far in my MEB/PEB and VA claims, I've been successful in what seems like a record time from the horror stories I hear about. VA claim took 60 days or so and my MEB/PEB was done in less than 6 months. Hoping my lucky streak continues.

VA claim time is much much faster these days with new claims entirely through the electronic system.

VSOs are the ones that set up your claim and help with appeals. It's only after you've exhausted the standard administrative appellate options that you need a lawyer and take it to court. If you want to wait on the NVLSP, then go right ahead. I have no idea what their turnaround time may be, but I know via our veteran legal aid clinic we send all initial claims/administrative appeals to local VSOs.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
Thanks, I appreciate your help. I think I'm going to see what my VFW can do for me, since I've already got all my claims paperwork together, and I can probably meet with somebody tomorrow, instead of waiting for who knows what the anonymous online lawyer will need.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Any idea on how long it takes to get setup for Voc Rehab? I applied a few weeks ago and start my next semester during the last week of January. I'm currently using a combination of Post 9/11 and state benefits, so ideally I'd like to hopefully get Voc Rehab to cover this semester so I'm not burning other benefits.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Around here it's about 4 - 6 weeks from when you put in the online thing to your first meeting.

If you've got your poo poo together it rolls together pretty quick after that

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
If I have like half my GI BILL remaining, I can just use my Vic Rehab to finish my degree?

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
You're capped at 48 months total education benefit unless your Vocrehab counselor extends you. Doesn't matter if you use Post 911, VR or both. I thought I could use 4 years on VR then use Post 911. Nope!

There was a small window of time a few years back both were independent, but it was changed back.

I am currently applying for the VHA Post 911 rate even though I'm on VR, which is like an extra $700/month. lovely thing is the VR counselor doesn't believe me even though it says it right in the VA website and another counselor has processed other veterans to make it happen.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'll be fairly close to the 48 month max once I'm done, however using Voc Rehab will let me preserve a bunch of my state level benefits (which are based on credit hours) to throw at additional schooling down the road. Really no downsides here that I can see.

I'm partial Post 9/11 and the VA documentation I read just mentions Post 9/11 eligibles on Voc Rehab getting the regular 9/11 MHA rate (with no mention of partial), so I might see an increase there.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Booger Presley posted:

You're capped at 48 months total education benefit unless your Vocrehab counselor extends you. Doesn't matter if you use Post 911, VR or both. I thought I could use 4 years on VR then use Post 911. Nope!

There was a small window of time a few years back both were independent, but it was changed back.

I am currently applying for the VHA Post 911 rate even though I'm on VR, which is like an extra $700/month. lovely thing is the VR counselor doesn't believe me even though it says it right in the VA website and another counselor has processed other veterans to make it happen.

What? Using Vocrehab doesn't use your GI Bill, and I thought you could use it afterwards.

So after I get my undergraduate degree, I'm not going to be allowed to use my GI BIll?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

You get 48 months of total benefits under any combination of programs. From my understanding you don't give up Post 9/11 if you get Voc Rehab, but it does count against that 48 month total from my understanding.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Soulex posted:

What? Using Vocrehab doesn't use your GI Bill, and I thought you could use it afterwards.

So after I get my undergraduate degree, I'm not going to be allowed to use my GI BIll?

Depends on how much of your 48 months you've consumed, but essentially correct.

The more I research, the higher the numbers of lies and bad info the Voc Rehab counselor has been feeding me. :argh:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Been reading and yeah. Looks like I’ll have two years or so left after I graduate.

Who do I have to talk to about extending it?

Right now I’m on VR&E and the goal was to go to a school on WEAMS. I just went through the crap of being disappointed my graduate school wasn’t on there. I’m a comm major who originally switched from photo/video. Now I want an undergrad in photography. I might still be able to do it depending on transfers and poo poo but man.

This sucks.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Booger Presley posted:

Depends on how much of your 48 months you've consumed, but essentially correct.

The more I research, the higher the numbers of lies and bad info the Voc Rehab counselor has been feeding me. :argh:

Same

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Here:
https://www.benefits.va.gov/WARMS/docs/admin28/M28R/Part_VII/M28R_pt07_ch04_secA.pdf

So here’s the thing. I do photography as therapy. I shoot sports games and stuff and it’s my way to kind of work through my stuff. It helps a lot. I volunteer, I’m not paid, and the school uses my stuff if they want but I’m not working for their media. I’m not bullshitting here. It helps.

I have 70% PTSD. Could this be a good argument for continuing that path?

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Soulex posted:

Here:
https://www.benefits.va.gov/WARMS/docs/admin28/M28R/Part_VII/M28R_pt07_ch04_secA.pdf

So here’s the thing. I do photography as therapy. I shoot sports games and stuff and it’s my way to kind of work through my stuff. It helps a lot. I volunteer, I’m not paid, and the school uses my stuff if they want but I’m not working for their media. I’m not bullshitting here. It helps.

I have 70% PTSD. Could this be a good argument for continuing that path?

I don't know. If it were me, and your therapy is VA directed, then I would find out how to work that therapy into the Voc Rehab process.

My Voc Rehab counselor told me that if you can prove a masters will substantially increase your employment opportunities you may be able to continue beyond 48 months.

The whole process seems very subjective and a lot rides on the recommendations of your counselor. Perhaps discuss not only therapeutic benefits of your current path but provide some research and hard data on job opportunities available from higher education. The whole program is designed to give you the tools you need to succeed in your new career so if you can prove greater success with more education anything is possible.

I met with the counselor today and he fed me even more BS. The next closest VA is two hours away but I really want a second opinion on much of this because he's demonstrated his lack of knowledge. If you're in an area where you have access to more than one counselor, chat them up!

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I basically went into an easy online school because I'm an idiot and I needed something to do while I waited for work season to start (I'm a scuba diver) and I wasted like a semester's worth of GI Bill for what was essentially a scam school.

If I need like 6 months of GI Bill time to finish my degree can I just use my Voc Rehab?

Or am I hosed and have to take loans out?

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
If you qualify for VR&E, you're good. It might be even easier since you're close to finishing your degree. Again, the counselor holds the cards, so...

Do this:
-Select "Additional Benefits" from your Dashboard.
-Select "Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program" - be sure to read the program information and to update your contact information - and apply for either the "Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program" or "Education/Career Counseling".
-If it is determined that you are eligible, you will be invited to attend an orientation session, in-person, at the nearest VA Regional Office.
-Servicemembers who have a disability that began or became worse during active duty and who have not yet received a service-connected disability (SCD) rating do not need to wait to apply. See VA Form 28-0588 for further instructions.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
holy poo poo everyone should have free college and it should be way easier than the way it is now

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

white sauce posted:

holy poo poo everyone should have free college and it should be way easier than the way it is now

Yeah, they should.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Got my VR&E appointment for 24 JAN. :toot:

Hopefully this goes fast so I'm not waiting for money to live off of until it's decided whether I get to use Voc Rehab or keep going on Post 9/11.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I was just denied unemployability.

They just said I’m capable of work. No other reason.

I don’t see how.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I’m loving devastated. I was hoping on that to help us with bills.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Yea I was counting once on that too and also got denied here in NY.

Buckle down.

We ate a ton of rice and beans while I searched for a job and applied to school.

Maybe start a fund on one of those sites?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Something you might consider, and only consider this if you're good with money, but I recently used the VA loan to buy a multifamily and rent out most of it. That revenue could cover the difference between disabled and unemployable. I paid nearly nothing down and my mortgage is $4000/mo with $5300 rental income.

The VA loan can be little or nothing down, doesn't look at your credit score, and they waive the funding fee if you're disabled.

edit: and hey, if you gently caress up, it can still take years for a bank to successfully foreclose on a disabled vet, lol

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

So, this is what I am writing in the NOD.

quote:

Statement from PTSD letter reads:
“We have assigned a 70 percent evaluation for your posttraumatic stress disorder with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and depressive disorder based on:…Unprovoked irritability with periods of violence…Difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances…Difficulty in adapting to work…difficulty in adapting to a worklike setting…difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships…Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity…Panic Attacks (less than weekly)”

That statement has many work and worklike items that were not considered when making the decision. I bolded the ones directly related to occupation.

Statement from both evaluations for my leg reads: “History of complaint: Lowered threshold of fatigue after average use, affecting the particular functions controlled by the injured muscles. Record of consistent complaint of cardinal signs and symptoms of muscle disability as defined in 38 CFR 4.56©, and, if present, evidence of inability to keep up with work requirements.”

The two leg statements concur that there is evidence of my inability to keep up with work requirements based on my disability. The PTSD statement is very clear that work and worklike settings are problems for me. Based on the three statements that take up the majority of my disability claims, I urge you to reconsider your evaluation of my individual unemployability claim.

I have no idea. I'm gonna fight this. It loving says it on the statement. Except at the end they're like "yeah no."

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Dude I’m 100% VA and 90% DoD and they still say I can work. You might not be able to roll that boulder up the hill. Also if your IU then VR&E is out the window, or at least can be, because it’s an employment program.

You might be better off trying to get a higher rating if you believe your more than 70% disabled. What conditions did you get a rating for and what % did they give you for them? Just look up the ratings guidelines and compare. If you think your more severely disabled than rated, knowing how and why and what they’re rating for will help. The standards are all published by the VA. Though it’s pretty dry reading.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Dude I’m 100% VA and 90% DoD and they still say I can work. You might not be able to roll that boulder up the hill. Also if your IU then VR&E is out the window, or at least can be, because it’s an employment program.

You might be better off trying to get a higher rating if you believe your more than 70% disabled. What conditions did you get a rating for and what % did they give you for them? Just look up the ratings guidelines and compare. If you think your more severely disabled than rated, knowing how and why and what they’re rating for will help. The standards are all published by the VA. Though it’s pretty dry reading.

VR and E should be ok. It’s rehabilitation but does not constitute employment. I’m not guaranteed a job. I did reading on that too. It would be a fight but there are people here on both iirc.

Also I’m 70% PTSD and 40% combined legs so I fit both criteria.

Apparently a lot of people get denied.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
Sorry if I've missed it, but is there a listing anywhere of job sites for veterans? I recently graduated with a computer science degree, and found through the "how did you hear of us" dropdown when applying for jobs sites like http://veterans2work.force.com which I wasn't aware of

edit: also https://jobs.hireheroesusa.org good stuff
edit: https://www.veteranjobsmission.com/companies?tid=27&tid_1=All&tid_2=All&title=All

Thom ZombieForm fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 15, 2018

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Usajobs

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
Meant to specify non-government jobs

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Just gave the VA my Notice of Disagreement. My neighbor is a lawyer and wrote/formatted it for me after I gave him an example of what mine would look like (using CFR codes and such).

He used the word Capricious which is a nice new word. It means sudden change through unaccountable behavior.

I’m pretty sure I’ll get it this time. Selected to have a DRO look at it again, and reattached the letter from my doctor saying as much too. I also demand reasoning if denied again.

How long you reckon I’ll wait to hear back?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Soulex posted:

Just gave the VA my Notice of Disagreement. My neighbor is a lawyer and wrote/formatted it for me after I gave him an example of what mine would look like (using CFR codes and such).

He used the word Capricious which is a nice new word. It means sudden change through unaccountable behavior.

I’m pretty sure I’ll get it this time. Selected to have a DRO look at it again, and reattached the letter from my doctor saying as much too. I also demand reasoning if denied again.

How long you reckon I’ll wait to hear back?

You'll get a letter back saying they've received it within a few weeks, and then a letter saying "we're still working on this" every few months for the next couple years.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

McNally posted:

You'll get a letter back saying they've received it within a few weeks, and then a letter saying "we're still working on this" every few months for the next couple years.

As long as I get back pay. Also I hope not. He said a month but I doubt it will go that fast. Maybe TDIU is different? I can hope, but that usually ends up meaning I get poo poo on.

The guy asked me if I had an organization behind me and I told him I had a lawyer. He was just making sure because he said he's seen a lot of people get hosed over by representing themselves.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I got a VA form in the mail certifying that I had health insurance for all 12 months of 2017. But my 5-year full coverage should have expired in June. I have some service-connected disabilities but only for specific things, but is that the reason why they'd say I was covered overall (eg a mistake).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Zeris posted:

I got a VA form in the mail certifying that I had health insurance for all 12 months of 2017. But my 5-year full coverage should have expired in June. I have some service-connected disabilities but only for specific things, but is that the reason why they'd say I was covered overall (eg a mistake).

If you have over 30% overall you're eligible for full VA coverage in perpetuity which satisfies the ACA's individual mandate.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you have over 30% overall you're eligible for full VA coverage in perpetuity which satisfies the ACA's individual mandate.

...I have free VA "healthcare" for life? :stare:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
They didn't tell you that?

Well, that's not really a surprise.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Zeris posted:

wow where were you on one of the greatest financial days of your life?

would it surprise anyone if this administration raised it to like 50% though?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Zeris posted:

Why do you think so many vets are dying in completely preventable ways under VA care?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Zeris posted:

Yeah, and if you got that letter you probably enrolled at some point. You can swing by your local VA clinic/hospital and get an ID if you haven't got one already. If you have better private insurance, I'd say use that primarily, but if you ever need to go to the ER or anything (and there isn't an MTF or VA ER nearby) the VA will foot the bill for that as well.