Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

abigserve posted:

On graphics and 4k: I think the problem with modern graphics isn't that they aren't incredible, it's that they aren't loving interesting

Shadow of war is a technical masterpiece but it looks like hot garbage because everything looks like it's covered in dirt/poo poo. The new mario or zelda, on the other hand, look incredible despite a bunch of obvious technical limitations

Other games like asscreed have a different problem where they were beautiful and technically amazing but they've released so many they are boring now

I bought the newest asscreed few days ago and it's obvious the art team put an incredible amount of effort into the world, yet for some reason it has no impact whatsoever, it somehow feels lifeless? Superficial? Or maybe it's just so uniformly well executed that there are no highlights to focus on so everything seems uninteresting by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

2house2fly posted:

SD to HD had some real quality of life improvements like being able to display smaller text and still have it be readable(when the Xbox 360 was first out and HDTV was common but not yet ubiquitous, you'd occasionally see people with older TVs complain that with some games they literally couldn't read the text), and make out smaller details like background events in movies. I don't know if HD to 4k would feel like the same jump, but to be fair I'm in no position to find out because I mainly play on a PS4 for which 1080p is asking a bit much

Dead rising was almost unplayable on non HD televisions. As I get older I want bigger tv's just to be able to read the text. My future will be playing a fp dungeon crawler on an 80 inch 4k screen.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

abigserve posted:

Shadow of war is a technical masterpiece but it looks like hot garbage because everything looks like it's covered in dirt/poo poo. The new mario or zelda, on the other hand, look incredible despite a bunch of obvious technical limitations

thats because "art direction" and "graphics" are not the same thing

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I find legend of Zelda games to be incredibly boring.

The new one looks insanely uninspired.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

a bone to pick posted:

I find legend of Zelda games to be incredibly boring.

The new one looks insanely uninspired.

If you play LttP and Link's Awakening then you've pretty much had the quintessential LoZ experience.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

As I get older, I can't play RPGs anymore. As a kid with endless hours, I loved every single one. I could play the random battles enough to level up the proper amount, I could hunt down every piece of special equipment in secret dungeons, and I could read every text box and understand the story.

Now?

I'm 30 and can't do it. I got an SNES classic and attempted Final Fantasy on that. I made it about 45 minutes and got bored with it. I tried Earthbound and even that doesn't hold my interest for more than 30-45 minutes at a time.

I've tried more modern games and even going back to older RPGs I loved (like Skies of Arcadia or Golden Sun). I just can't immerse myself in those worlds anymore. I bought Xenoblade Chronicles X for the Wii U when it was highly recommended. I enjoyed it, but eventually hit a wall where I'd have to level up a bunch and just gave up. I revisited it a few times and just couldn't muster the enthusiasm to tackle that part.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Twelve Batmans posted:

If you play LttP and Link's Awakening then you've pretty much had the quintessential LoZ experience.

I’m sorry but Ocarina of Time was the high water mark for 3D gaming for like 5 years after it came out and Link’s Awakening was a gameboy game with a few re-releases

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

links awakening is the best zelda game

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

A Fancy Hat posted:

As I get older, I can't play RPGs anymore. As a kid with endless hours, I loved every single one. I could play the random battles enough to level up the proper amount, I could hunt down every piece of special equipment in secret dungeons, and I could read every text box and understand the story.

Now?

I'm 30 and can't do it. I got an SNES classic and attempted Final Fantasy on that. I made it about 45 minutes and got bored with it. I tried Earthbound and even that doesn't hold my interest for more than 30-45 minutes at a time.

I've tried more modern games and even going back to older RPGs I loved (like Skies of Arcadia or Golden Sun). I just can't immerse myself in those worlds anymore. I bought Xenoblade Chronicles X for the Wii U when it was highly recommended. I enjoyed it, but eventually hit a wall where I'd have to level up a bunch and just gave up. I revisited it a few times and just couldn't muster the enthusiasm to tackle that part.

I'm 31 and I've gotten very picky with RPGs, which used to be almost all I played. It used to be that I'd just chain console RPG games like crazy. Now the only one I've actually played to completion in years is Persona 5 (which I adored, if the avatar didn't give that away). I have a bit more patience for handheld RPGs, but lately the only one of those I've really gotten into was Etrian Odyssey V.

It's not that I don't still play long games. In 2017 I finished Persona 5, Zelda Breath of the Wild, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Assassin's Creed Origins, and did a ton of the side stuff in each one (hell, I maxed out every social link in Persona 5), so clearly it's not the length of console RPGs that I can't do anymore. I think I just don't really enjoy that style of game nearly as much anymore unless it's either a portable, stripped-down slice of RPG gameplay (like Etrian Odyssey) or just relentlessly entertaining (like Persona 5).

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

A Fancy Hat posted:

Now?

That japanese anime highschool robot menu navigator sim genre isnt really an rpg

Rpgs are role playing games and those jrpgs fail completely to simulate immersion in a role.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The term "RPG" is kinda meaningless on its own anyway. It basically needs to be qualified with something now because "RPG elements" are so omnipresent and diluted.

At this point I'm pretty sure a game is an RPG if marketing it as an RPG would increase its sales. Otherwise it's an action-adventure game and "RPG elements" can just go unsaid because we all expect levels and skill trees to be there anyway.

Terms like "JRPG" and "CRPG" (your Baldur's Gate/Pillars of Eternity type of RPG) are specific enough to mean something, but otherwise :shrug:

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m sorry but Ocarina of Time was the high water mark for 3D gaming for like 5 years after it came out and Link’s Awakening was a gameboy game with a few re-releases

Oh wow a person sucking off OOT. How uncommon.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Harrow posted:

The term "RPG" is kinda meaningless on its own anyway. It basically needs to be qualified with something now because "RPG elements" are so omnipresent and diluted.

At this point I'm pretty sure a game is an RPG if marketing it as an RPG would increase its sales. Otherwise it's an action-adventure game and "RPG elements" can just go unsaid because we all expect levels and skill trees to be there anyway.

Terms like "JRPG" and "CRPG" (your Baldur's Gate/Pillars of Eternity type of RPG) are specific enough to mean something, but otherwise :shrug:

no, crpgs are ones that specifically simulate pen and paper systems in its game mechanics.

jrpgs are marked by bad storytelling, menu selection and random chance blind "combat" initiation and epic ps1/2 cutscenes.

but rpgs can mean anything from those crpgs that act like or simulate D&D, etc., or you even get stuff like diablo and torchlight who can all safely fit under that banner of "this is a RPG"

but jrpgs still don't have anything in common with any other genre of rpg in its systems or basically anything else except like, party management, so tbh it's pretty bizarre that it's acceptable to describe them in similar terms.

i love crpgs and i'm embarassed and mad when anyone mistakes my love for tedious and boring RTwP isometric combat and rich storytelling and dialog selection with a love for tifa and chokobos

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
I play jrpgs for the sparkly effects during combat, hopefully particles start getting good in the 4k era since polygons have peaked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5qhaEghJ74

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Magius1337est posted:

I play jrpgs for the sparkly effects during combat, hopefully particles start getting good in the 4k era since polygons have peaked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5qhaEghJ74

lmao none of that poo poo matters and, as someone who played played Planetside 2 on my PC and PS4, I never noticed any of that poo poo.

Especially the reactor explosion, by the time that thing explodes everybody is already out of the room and not looking at it, what a waste of development time and system resources.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
People get pickier when they aren't kids, except when it's food. Not to mention games have made leaps and bounds in terms of user friendliness. Most old RPGs are janky garbage, but all people remember is the nice story and good memories, not their retarded gameplay and unfun aspects.

Pillars of Eternity was a great example of this. People thought bringing back the good ol' halcyon days of Infinity Engine RPGs would be great. Turns out, it wasn't. Game was trash in comparison to modern offerings, and it didn't even have a good story or characters (barring a couple) to save it. Also the backers reward characters that infested every scene was the most embarrassing thing I've seen in a game from a AAA (or near to it) Western game.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

breath of fire 5 was the best one

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

basic hitler posted:

no, crpgs are ones that specifically simulate pen and paper systems in its game mechanics.

jrpgs are marked by bad storytelling, menu selection and random chance blind "combat" initiation and epic ps1/2 cutscenes.

but rpgs can mean anything from those crpgs that act like or simulate D&D, etc., or you even get stuff like diablo and torchlight who can all safely fit under that banner of "this is a RPG"

but jrpgs still don't have anything in common with any other genre of rpg in its systems or basically anything else except like, party management, so tbh it's pretty bizarre that it's acceptable to describe them in similar terms.

i love crpgs and i'm embarassed and mad when anyone mistakes my love for tedious and boring RTwP isometric combat and rich storytelling and dialog selection with a love for tifa and chokobos

Well that's what I mean. "CRPG" and "JRPG" are specific enough terms that we know what to expect from a game described with them. Just "RPG" on its own is kinda meaningless now because everything has "RPG elements" and whether it's marketed as an RPG or not seems largely divorced from how it actually plays.

That said, I'm not sure I'd say JRPGs are more divorced from tabletop RPGs than something like Diablo or Torchlight. They're probably equally non-RPG-like, just in different ways.

These days I have way, way more patience for non-JRPGs, though apparently I make an exception for Atlus.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ASenileAnimal posted:

breath of fire 5 was the best one

This, but unironically

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The best Zelda game was Faces of Evil.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Jeza posted:

People get pickier when they aren't kids, except when it's food. Not to mention games have made leaps and bounds in terms of user friendliness. Most old RPGs are janky garbage, but all people remember is the nice story and good memories, not their retarded gameplay and unfun aspects.

Pillars of Eternity was a great example of this. People thought bringing back the good ol' halcyon days of Infinity Engine RPGs would be great. Turns out, it wasn't. Game was trash in comparison to modern offerings, and it didn't even have a good story or characters (barring a couple) to save it. Also the backers reward characters that infested every scene was the most embarrassing thing I've seen in a game from a AAA (or near to it) Western game.

Uhh pillars of eternity is really good boyo and poe 2 made a pile of presale money including my 30 bucks so dont act like you speak for anyone but yaself and your bad taste

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

3D Bethesda RPGs are at best okay and at worst unplayable messes.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

basic hitler posted:

Uhh pillars of eternity is really good boyo and poe 2 made a pile of presale money including my 30 bucks so dont act like you speak for anyone but yaself and your bad taste

Sorry you wasted your money on garbage. Welcome to the Unpopular Videogame Opinion thread. If you want I can write you a better RPG on the back of a pizza box if you Kickstart me :10bux:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Jeza posted:

Sorry you wasted your money on garbage. Welcome to the Unpopular Videogame Opinion thread. If you want I can write you a better RPG on the back of a pizza box if you Kickstart me :10bux:

I wouldn't trust a guy who imagines he has enough clout to use the royal we while trying and failing to trash the number 2 crpg of the decade; the unpopular opinion thread isnt the delusional self centered opinion thread

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

I bought the newest asscreed few days ago and it's obvious the art team put an incredible amount of effort into the world, yet for some reason it has no impact whatsoever, it somehow feels lifeless? Superficial? Or maybe it's just so uniformly well executed that there are no highlights to focus on so everything seems uninteresting by default.

That's a problem with Ubi. Any game they put out feels like it's inhabited by mannequins. Like it seriously feels like someone just gave Second Life a new graphics engine. The only exception I can think of is For Honor. It's so far out of the standard Ubi visual look these days I'm surprised it's actually an Ubi-published game.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

fruit on the bottom posted:

The best Zelda game was Faces of Evil.

Um excuse me it's clearly wand of gamelon

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Thats a weird way to spell Darksiders (or Okami)

Actually my unpopular opinion is that just like Dark Souls, Zelda created a genre and has been eclipsed by stronger entities wearing the same clothes.

Ie

Zelda is the worst Zelda game

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Which one had the creepy genie?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Plan Z posted:

That's a problem with Ubi. Any game they put out feels like it's inhabited by mannequins.

They were made in the image of their creators.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

fruit on the bottom posted:

Which one had the creepy genie?

You mean the ghost/demon thing voiced by Mark hamil that spends the whole game heckling at war? That's darksiders

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Misogynice Job! posted:

The majority of Bethesda RPG gameplay is literally hiking, a reasonably accessible activity in real life.

Most of the time the landscapes you hike over aren't even futuristic or magical, just go to a national park lol

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

FoolyCharged posted:

You mean the ghost/demon thing voiced by Mark hamil that spends the whole game heckling at war? That's darksiders

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Misogynice Job! posted:

This is correct and I only wish I'd realized it sooner.

It's amazing how much actual writing and quest design can do because Fallout: New Vegas is even more broken than Bethesda's Fallouts but actually owns because it has more to it than "hike in a direction and I guess shoot dudes and take their stuff."

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

basic hitler posted:

I wouldn't trust a guy who imagines he has enough clout to use the royal we while trying and failing to trash the number 2 crpg of the decade; the unpopular opinion thread isnt the delusional self centered opinion thread

dont get upset man, i really dont care what you think?? its ok to like it. popular even.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

feelix posted:

The majority of Bethesda RPG gameplay is literally hiking, a reasonably accessible activity in real life.

Most of the time the landscapes you hike over aren't even futuristic or magical, just go to a national park lol

That requires preparations and poo poo like having enough water and food, and knowing where you're going, and having first-aid if you get hurt, and plenty of other logistical crap. gently caress that noise

Unrelated - my favorite types of games are the ones with survival/logistic elements a la Fallout New Vegas and Darkest Dungeon.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jeza posted:

dont get upset man, i really dont care what you think?? its ok to like it. popular even.

God, imagine coming into the Unpopular Opinions thread and being so stupid and huffy about your favorite series that you force people to point out the opinions are unpopular. How idiotic. How loving retarded.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Solar Tornado posted:

That requires preparations and poo poo like having enough water and food, and knowing where you're going, and having first-aid if you get hurt, and plenty of other logistical crap. gently caress that noise

Unrelated - my favorite types of games are the ones with survival/logistic elements a la Fallout New Vegas and Darkest Dungeon.

Yeah but it increases Athletics skill

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
The resurgence of platforming via the indie scene is pure toilet fodder for hipsters.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Platformers were only ever acceptable because toaster computers couldn't handle anything more complex that "move in one direction and jump", there is no reason they should exist today, vote for me to address this injustice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

abigserve posted:

On graphics and 4k: I think the problem with modern graphics isn't that they aren't incredible, it's that they aren't loving interesting

Other games like asscreed have a different problem where they were beautiful and technically amazing but they've released so many they are boring now

Art direction is more important than graphics fidelity.

Also, in twitchy games, frame rate is generally more important that graphics fidelity