Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Well if you guys get an airfield I'd man up the control tower for you but I sure as hell wouldn't go back on a boat. Also no night ops. And no daytime FCLPs. And everyone is PPR and the answer is always 'no'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Article one, section eight of the U.S. Constitution posted:

To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

Goon Privateer anybody?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

piL posted:

Goon Privateer anybody?

We prefer to be called, "independent contractors," these days.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

If only. Privateer life was ok during the Napoleonic wars.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Can GOONAV take a broken down, overweight army commo guy?

I know JANAP 128

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

piL posted:

Goon Privateer anybody?

In 1991 we hoped that, in the usual way of Navy regulations, prize money rules were still mouldering away on the books somewhere. There seemed like a non-zero chance that we might actually be called upon to take a prize during the "blockade Iraqi and Jordanian ports" phase of Desert Storm. I don't know what a modern container ship and a fuckton of cars looted from Kuwait would have sold for, but a 1/600th share of that would still fill quite a few stripper g-strings.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

ManMythLegend posted:

We prefer to be called, "independent contractors," these days.

o captain my captain

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

maffew is our seabee and damnit someone needs to be able to put up a fence around here. watch local nationals assemble a fence while standing next to a forklift with a can of Monster.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Oh no he'll build a fence but from incorrectly ordered materials so it'll have to be tore down and rebuilt to meet spec.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I just got notified that I致e been approved to mobilize.
I picked Africom, DC and Norfolk in that order.

Guess I値l see you chumps in Norfolk but I don稚 find out until tomorrow for sure.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

I値l fix the airplane computers but only as a contractor

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I値l probably get run out of the thread for this but can I be the inaugural member of the Marine Det onboard?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

MrMojok posted:

I値l probably get run out of the thread for this but can I be the inaugural member of the Marine Det onboard?

You'll only have yourself to stand in line with, and nobody to spot you.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009

MrMojok posted:

Can we afford to feed you? What berthing will you be in?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

He can bunk with gunny.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

This is why I said we could man a PHIBRON, we had Marines, Seabees, and all sorts of odds and ends

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

tacopie posted:

Can we afford to feed you?

https://www.amazon.com/PACK-Crayola-64-Crayons-52-0064/dp/B00OQJEDUE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1515117749&sr=8-5&keywords=crayola+crayons

Doesn't seem all that expensive.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

MrMojok posted:

I’ll probably get run out of the thread for this but can I be the inaugural member of the Marine Det onboard?

We can take a 4 man state room together.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
TF and I require our own staterooms with head and shower.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

TF and I require our own staterooms with head and shower.

Upholstered armchair, standard radio antenna connection...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

shovelbum posted:

Upholstered armchair, standard radio antenna connection...

Motherfucking satellite tv and wireless internet, too.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

Motherfucking satellite tv and wireless internet, too.

Uh I'm sorry this contract was written in 1954

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

shovelbum posted:

Uh I'm sorry this contract was written in 1954

You realize there are costs to that don't you!?

Good news about a contract written in 1954 though, gonna get 30 days 2nds pay along with 6 hours OT/day due to my average for severance after spending 17 days working.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

You realize there are costs to that don't you!?

Good news about a contract written in 1954 though, gonna get 30 days 2nds pay along with 6 hours OT/day due to my average for severance after spending 17 days working.

Yeah exactly contracts only change for the worse, the older the better

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Someone with better drawing skills than me should draw up a stick figure ship.

If I wasn't on the phone I'd draw two boxes. One named reactor and one named Intel ( cvic if it's a carrier!) And fit as many clip art dudes in those boxes as possible.

Then one Noble pooping into the boxes and a seabee looking sad because he doesn't know how to use his hammer.

Feel free to steal my idea anyone.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Mr. Nice! posted:

Oh no he'll build a fence but from incorrectly ordered materials so it'll have to be tore down and rebuilt to meet spec.

Cool fact, I've graduated from fences to actual buildings with incorrect materials

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Somewhere in the Naval Historical and Heritage Center exists a sound file with a long empty string of silence, a couple of comments on various shipping contacts, another long pause and my JOOD asking me, 'So how about it? Mutiny and a life of Piracy? Do you think the crew would go for it?'.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

piL posted:

Somewhere in the Naval Historical and Heritage Center exists a sound file with a long empty string of silence, a couple of comments on various shipping contacts, another long pause and my JOOD asking me, 'So how about it? Mutiny and a life of Piracy? Do you think the crew would go for it?'.

While doing anti piracy operations we worked out how many ships per month we would need to pirate to pay for the LHD and crew salary.

It wasn't that many.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
You would need more than 1? A tanker or box boat should cover it but the bigger the better.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
You're lucky to get 10% of the real value. Maybe better if you've been working with a good fence for a few years.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I thought it was a hypothetical? Like if you took a box boat you would need a place to actually offload thousands of boxes and then sell whatever is inside, not actually knowing what's inside. It's basically unfeasible.

A tanker is easier, pirates have been taking them and then just lightering, it's actually possible. Might be able to take a car carrier if you want to deal with vehicles.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Or just ransom. Most were being ransomed at that point.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Laranzu posted:

While doing anti piracy operations we worked out how many ships per month we would need to pirate to pay for the LHD and crew salary.

It wasn't that many.

Yes but what about the rear end ton of Marines on the ship too? Do they get a cut?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
They're the first ones to be ransomed.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Yes but what about the rear end ton of Marines on the ship too? Do they get a cut?

Hijack at least one shipment from bodybuilding.com and they will be fine

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Y'all need to back up to that Letter of Marque idea. Paying for that up front and "finding evidence of sanction violation" would clear up so many headaches. Get some folks from the cop thread to do a ride along to show how to "find evidence."

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Laranzu posted:

Or just ransom. Most were being ransomed at that point.

Taking ships really slowed after 2010 and piracy moved to the Gulf of Guinea and west Africa for oil money with help from Nigerians.

The Navy doesn't get letters of Marque, those go to private vessels in the merchant marine. The Navy is supposed to do it for honor and a pretty uniform or something.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Laranzu posted:

It wasn't that many.

Are you factoring the cost of operations into that? When we were doing airstrikes in Yemen we dumped tons and tons of ordinance in the bomb boxes.

For the uninitiated the Harrier takes off like a fixed wing aircraft and hovers to land (we all know VTOL). Part of that hovering to land and slamming on the deck means the harrier 1) needs to be a certain weight on return 2) shouldn't have things like bombs on it that could fall off it when it slams onto the deck. So you have to have X number of them in the air to run the mission and they have Y amount of fuel/fly time (X and Y being maybe OPSEC since I don't think we tell people how many planes we use or how long their endurance is on those missions?). And they dropped what they didnt use in the ocean, came back to refuel or swap out, and freshly loaded ones would take off to do the same. Z hours long 6 days a week for 3/4s of the deployment. Tons and tons of ordinance dumped in the briny deep.

We asked our Marine Liason officer (our squadrons only pilot who flew fighter aircraft) what some of those bombs cost and it wasn't cheap, apparently the electronics in some of them are stupid expensive.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

lightpole posted:

Taking ships really slowed after 2010 and piracy moved to the Gulf of Guinea and west Africa for oil money with help from Nigerians.

The Navy doesn't get letters of Marque, those go to private vessels in the merchant marine. The Navy is supposed to do it for honor and a pretty uniform or something.

They used to get prize money, too, which was most of their income in those days. Letter of marque were an easy way to increase the size of your fleet for cheap.

Modern day merchant ships are fairly ill suited to piracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

They used to get prize money, too, which was most of their income in those days. Letter of marque were an easy way to increase the size of your fleet for cheap.

Modern day merchant ships are fairly ill suited to piracy.

Fast ferries, man.