Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I would play no other game until I die, if ground combat in WITP was better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
China has been un-fun so far. It's a game of bombard, counter-bombard, and counterattack. I'm sure it's interesting somewhere.

Building out depots and figuring out how to deal with an enemy that owns every area they concentrate on is a challenge. Looking forward to learning how to defend the India > Perth and Aus > PNG lines after Sinapore and Batavia fall.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

skooma512 posted:

Cold waters postin'

If you have adcaps, you can steer them with the numpad, and I think (though I'm not sure) that locational damage is working? If you hit a sub on the snout it normally dies in a rather inglorious way, hits in the screws will generally flood the boat if they don't instakill it etc.

Also you can do stuff like fire you torpedo under a strong layer, go active and go up through the layer behind the enemy sub to hide from any return fire snapshots, which has saved my life a few times as the LA where I can't necessarily outrun fire as fast as in the best boat, the Skipjack 84.

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Opening the new year in style: The Command community scenario pack hits 400!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

whys there a delay in updating the version on the workshop

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
is the Grey Wolves still the mod for Silent Hunter 3? I'm really only just looking to eliminate the crew fatigue management.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

gradenko_2000 posted:

is the Grey Wolves still the mod for Silent Hunter 3? I'm really only just looking to eliminate the crew fatigue management.

So far as I know. I was seeding GWX 3 Gold until the tracker went down, still have a copy.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

So I haven't really played any grog games on PC (primarily tabletop stuff like COIN), and I picked up Decisive Campaigns: Warsaw to Paris a couple of days ago since I figured it was a good introduction.

I feel like a baby because as soon as I start the first scenario in the Grand Campaign, I see the hundreds of units under my command and I just get overwhelmed.

Whew, okay, I can do this. Just one unit at a time.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Athaboros posted:

So I haven't really played any grog games on PC (primarily tabletop stuff like COIN), and I picked up Decisive Campaigns: Warsaw to Paris a couple of days ago since I figured it was a good introduction.

I feel like a baby because as soon as I start the first scenario in the Grand Campaign, I see the hundreds of units under my command and I just get overwhelmed.

Whew, okay, I can do this. Just one unit at a time.

DC games are not the heaviest grog game, but they're also not a good introductory game. I'd recommend trying Command Ops 2 (base game with some scenarios is free on Steam) or Order of Battle (also free with a few scenarios), or Unity of Command (only $5 in the Steam sale atm).

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Bold Robot posted:

Super helpful post, thank you. :thumbsup:

Are there any non-obvious downsides to doing one of the Quiet China scenarios? I'm doing the Guadalcanal scenario and it's going pretty well, I think I'm probably going to be ready to start the full campaign soon. Ground combat seems like the least interesting part of the game and if I could remove a whole theater of it and its associated micro, I'd probably prefer to do that.

Not really, China is kind of boring to be honest. It does boost the Japanese a bit as they no longer have such a demand for supplies from China to replace all the ground forces that are lost in combat there.

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Look for SH3 commander. Let's you remove crew fatigue and add some flavour via patrol reports without the extensive mods from grey wolves. Can pair with grey wolves with a minor change too.

Also of great help, it lets you set a higher max time compression for long cruises to patrol areas and also set lengths of time in port between patrols and do out of game crew management by changing ranks, specializations and medals. Also the source of the crew lost to bar fights events that happened in the various lps.

I think SH3 commander is still hosted on subsim. Or was last time I installed SH3.

Zeond fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 3, 2018

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Is Bomber Crew without the DLC still super great or has the DLC made the base game "not worth it?" I may find Steam card funds enough to buy it and what else I was looking at but not the full thing.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Is Bomber Crew without the DLC still super great or has the DLC made the base game "not worth it?" I may find Steam card funds enough to buy it and what else I was looking at but not the full thing.

I didn't even know bomber crew had dlc, it's a fun game.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
It’s fun and good.

The dlc just looks like tougher enemies, new landscape, and a couple new weapons to balance out the difficulty. I don’t even feel like buying it but i enjoyed the base game.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

skooma512 posted:

It’s fun and good.

The dlc just looks like tougher enemies, new landscape, and a couple new weapons to balance out the difficulty. I don’t even feel like buying it but i enjoyed the base game.

Yeah the DLC looks really underwhelming, hoping the next one is a new plane or something.

Despite that Bomber Crew is great and anyone on the fence should pick it up for at least the 2 hour trial you get with Steam.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

Popete posted:

Yeah the DLC looks really underwhelming, hoping the next one is a new plane or something.

Despite that Bomber Crew is great and anyone on the fence should pick it up for at least the 2 hour trial you get with Steam.

Next DLC is "Something we've been getting asked for constantly since launch" and they've hinted it's an American aircraft.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Cling-Wrap Condom posted:

Next DLC is "Something we've been getting asked for constantly since launch" and they've hinted it's an American aircraft.

The Enola Gay.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zeond posted:

Look for SH3 commander. Let's you remove crew fatigue and add some flavour via patrol reports without the extensive mods from grey wolves. Can pair with grey wolves with a minor change too.

Also of great help, it lets you set a higher max time compression for long cruises to patrol areas and also set lengths of time in port between patrols and do out of game crew management by changing ranks, specializations and medals. Also the source of the crew lost to bar fights events that happened in the various lps.

I think SH3 commander is still hosted on subsim. Or was last time I installed SH3.

Thanks. I was happy to discover that I still had my Subsim account active after all these years.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cold Waters on Gog.com with a 20% launch discount, get it while it's hot etc etc https://www.gog.com/game/cold_waters

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
gently caress me. I bought it a couple weeks ago because it was supposed to never be discounted.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Alchenar posted:

Cold Waters on Gog.com with a 20% launch discount, get it while it's hot etc etc https://www.gog.com/game/cold_waters

Hell of a good deal for Aussies compared to steam, thanks gog for recognising our dollarydoos.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Trip report: I have exploded many times, having much fun.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I asked about Solium Infernum elsewhere, and people pointed me here saying that games start up here occasionally. Is it alright if I ask some questions here in the meantime to help me learn the game? I read that RPS AAR of it and am checking out the wiki and the instructions, but some strategy tips and other things would still help.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Destruction is really good, being lower rank than your opponent(s) really, really sucks so being a Duke or Prince is super valuable.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

skooma512 posted:

It’s fun and good.

It's a side campaign that gives you more mission choices. I believe it's ten new missions involving the weird late-war aircraft designs. You'll be both blowing up factories and shooting them down in the air. One mission has you trying to fight your way past Bachem Ba 349 Natters (vertically launched rocket interceptors with rocket pods instead of cannon). Corkscrew at the right time or they'll hammer you out of the sky.

Five bucks is a little steep for 10 missions, even with new enemies in them, but I don't feel ripped off. It adds to the base game, but doesn't make itself essential.

I'm expecting to see a Lerche in this campaign

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Zeond posted:

Oh yes, SH3 Commander is the other essential. if you use nothing else, use that mod. GWX is great and they did a ton of work, but iff you only got one mod, you'd choose SH3C.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

uPen posted:

Destruction is really good, being lower rank than your opponent(s) really, really sucks so being a Duke or Prince is super valuable.

Oh yeah, being even a Marquis looked miserable in the AAR, let alone lower than that in a game of Princes and Dukes.

Out of curiosity, why does Gluttony give you points? Lust is obvious; map generation might gently caress you on it and make it near-impossible (or super-easy, all my test games have put the temple or garden really close to my stronghold), but Gluttony seems easy, assuming I'm interpreting what consuming souls means right at least. Is it when you do stuff like use up souls and other resources to increase your stats, or is there a different way of consuming souls? Because if it's the former, then as long as you put even a modicum of effort into stat raising it seems like you should reach your goal easily.

On a tangent from that, I tried both Charisma 2 and 3, and the latter was amazing in how much better it was. Not just getting to take more, but the loot rolls themselves seemed consistently much better, which surprised me since I thought the calculation was 1d20+Cha as long as you don't roll it multiple times a turn. +3 instead of +2 didn't seem like it should regularly give so, so much more, so maybe I was just lucky there, but it was amazing. Makes just starting with Charisma 3 instead of going with 2 and saving up the 6/6/6/6 resources really tempting, despite the expense.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

mllaneza posted:

Oh yes, SH3 Commander is the other essential. if you use nothing else, use that mod. GWX is great and they did a ton of work, but iff you only got one mod, you'd choose SH3C.

Is there anything that gets rid of the "time compression makes you miss ships" issue?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Gnoman posted:

Is there anything that gets rid of the "time compression makes you miss ships" issue?

Nope, that's engine related. That and storms for days, search AI being better at low time compression, more aircraft at higher time compression, all of that remains an issue.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

That's what I thought. Shame, that's the biggest reason I stopped playing SH3.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Roland Jones posted:

Oh yeah, being even a Marquis looked miserable in the AAR, let alone lower than that in a game of Princes and Dukes.

Out of curiosity, why does Gluttony give you points? Lust is obvious; map generation might gently caress you on it and make it near-impossible (or super-easy, all my test games have put the temple or garden really close to my stronghold), but Gluttony seems easy, assuming I'm interpreting what consuming souls means right at least. Is it when you do stuff like use up souls and other resources to increase your stats, or is there a different way of consuming souls? Because if it's the former, then as long as you put even a modicum of effort into stat raising it seems like you should reach your goal easily.

On a tangent from that, I tried both Charisma 2 and 3, and the latter was amazing in how much better it was. Not just getting to take more, but the loot rolls themselves seemed consistently much better, which surprised me since I thought the calculation was 1d20+Cha as long as you don't roll it multiple times a turn. +3 instead of +2 didn't seem like it should regularly give so, so much more, so maybe I was just lucky there, but it was amazing. Makes just starting with Charisma 3 instead of going with 2 and saving up the 6/6/6/6 resources really tempting, despite the expense.

Gluttony is a separate action that destroys the souls, they're wasted. It's still my go-to freebie trait because I hate lust but it is a penalty. I dislike Cha2 as it takes several extra turns to earn enough $ to bump to Cha3 which means several more turns before you're bumping real stats or buying stuff.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Whats up with Silent Hunter 5? Was watching some game play videos and it looks decent.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I don't know how it is now, but on release it was a dumbed-down mess because Ubisoft decided that the normal enthusiast market was too small and was trying to appeal to more arcadey gamers. They wound up alienating the existing fanbase without attracting a new one, as often happens in such cases. Patches might well have improved it, but reviews were extremely bad for the original release.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Popete posted:

Whats up with Silent Hunter 5? Was watching some game play videos and it looks decent.

Damage isn't location based, difficulty options are basically non existent, enemy AI is braindead, semi-fixed campaign structure and I'm not sure if I ever saw enemy aircraft. Let's not even mention that if you're in Travel Mode time compressing into port, it catapults you into space.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

uPen posted:

Gluttony is a separate action that destroys the souls, they're wasted. It's still my go-to freebie trait because I hate lust but it is a penalty. I dislike Cha2 as it takes several extra turns to earn enough $ to bump to Cha3 which means several more turns before you're bumping real stats or buying stuff.

Ah, alright. That makes more sense. Thanks. And yeah, testing both, starting with Cha 3 feels a lot better and seems like it'll let you do things faster; even compared to something like Cha 2 and Infernal Cardinal, which is the same price as Cha 3, the faster start feels worth it. Gluttony being 35 souls down the drain isn't ideal, but, well, it's 3 extra points, that's a full rank or something, so it's still worth it probably. Especially if it lets you run Cha 3.

Messing around with different point spreads, torn on whether Martial Prowess 2 is better than Cunning, Intellect, or Wickedness 2 if I can only have one (besides Charisma) that high to start with. It feels more immediately impactful, since you can make +2 stat cards or -stat cards right away with it, but it's also a bit further away from a new Order since it gives one at 5 rather than 4. Both Martial and Wickedness 2 feel like they'd be helpful in the case of early aggression, towards or from you.

Also, how big a difference do things that give +# to tribute rolls make? I picked up a Beliit in one of my test games, but it didn't feel like I was getting noticeably better stuff. Are things like that worth the investment, or is it better to just buy interesting things instead? I assume it'd be better to get one early if you did get one, since that gives it more time to pay for itself, but I'm not sure if it's worth it at all.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
Hey gang, I bought Advanced Tactics: Gold and Decisive Campaigns: Warsaw to Paris (among others) in the steam sale, fiddled around with AT:G a little bit and basically almost immediately bounced off of it because it seems more of a sandbox/engine sort of thing (like TOAW4 which I also impulse bought and don't understand) than a more flavourful game like DC. I've lurked through the thread and AT:G comes up a lot, and never really negatively, so I'm wondering now if my immediate terror and fear was an overreaction and maybe I'll appreciate it more as a sandbox after I fool around with DC for a while, or if there's billions of custom scenarios that are worth playing for it. Would appreciate any advice or tips on whether I should bother to stick with it I guess!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

ATG is more of a multiplayer thing. Half the fun is designing your own army. You can customize units, TOE and individual types like tanks and smashing them against another players own custom army to see whose doctrine comes out on top is great fun.

There are rather a lot of custom scenarios as the editor is quite flexible if a bit of a slog to use sometimes but I don't know how good most are.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I also immediately bounced off of ATG because it was so open-ended. I appreciate what it tries to do, but for the kind of game that the random map generator tries to pull off, I do Modern Era starts of Civ 4 instead.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
play ATG with zero technology and 400% technology costs and you start out with a pre-WWI style battle with infantry and cav, then artillery becomes the Big New Technology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I found ATG to be really fun, and eventually I started using mods that changed a few things that made organizations less annoying to put together. Auto-reinforce/templates were a godsend.