Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

TheScott2K posted:

Some of y'all dropped some serious money on VR poo poo huh

People in this thread bought a more powerful version of the Xbox One.

Think about that for a minute. That's like someone with cancer trying to get infected with HIV as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

veni veni veni posted:

I don't care if someone isn't interested in VR. it's not for everyone and it's still sort of niche and flawed. But, as evidenced by this thread, people that call it a failure almost universally have no idea what they are talking about. Sorry you have no games. maybe your mom will hook you up and buy you one if you clean the garage.

yeah, those things are super comparable, ya dope.

:discourse:

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

veni veni veni posted:

Sorry you have no games. maybe your mom will hook you up and buy you one if you clean the garage.

This is definitely it. I don't have the money to live out my Ready player one fantasy. Couldn't be the insane amount of time it would require to play all of those just on one system alone. I'm lucky if I get an hour or two every other day to play anything and I work from home.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You should check out VR then! Most of the games are short, sweet and fun. Perfect for those without much time to play games. And despite the the sweet virtual boy burns, I assure you. VR is actually very cool.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

VR isn't replacing TV gaming you maroons, it's a separate thing. I don't know why you spergs can't understand that. While we're comparing numbers of things that aren't comparable, the VR thread has been open 2.5 times longer than this thread but has six times as many pages. I guess consoles are dead now.

Well, let's be fair. The Shark Tankers are here in the thread. Smart people avoid threads where they show up because they kind of ruin everything.

I'm obviously not smart, I bought the console with the wrong RAM, etc. Just to get that low hanging fruit out of the way. ;)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im here cause i own the xbox and i want to like ori but the dungeon i just beat made him too small and hard to see on the screen and im sour now

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

veni veni veni posted:

You should check out VR then! Most of the games are short, sweet and fun. Perfect for those without much time to play games. And despite the the sweet virtual boy burns, I assure you. VR is actually very cool.

Okay well if I am honest I did try out an Oculus with the motion controllers at a best buy demo and at the time it seriously blew me away. You got to be a sorcerer and throw spells at demons and stuff.
Does PSVR not run like garbage on a normal PS4?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It comes with a separate processor unit and works fine with a regular PS4, but it's quite a bit better on a Pro. The controllers aren't as good as oculus though and there is no room scale but it's still really good and has a solid library.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im never buying vr until its the only way to play games and tvs are outlawed

But its not hurting anybody, and sony sells as much as they make it seems.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just won my first chicken dinner. Gotta say :feelsgood:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Aphrodite posted:

They just need a VR edition of that Japanese game where you sneak upskirt photos and gaming will be saved.

I'm pretty sure that's like 50% of current VR games already.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Has anyone tried Just Cause 3 on the Xbox One X? It has a lot of slowdowns and lag on the regular bone, wonder if it is "fixed".

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BrownieVK posted:

Okay well if I am honest I did try out an Oculus with the motion controllers at a best buy demo and at the time it seriously blew me away. You got to be a sorcerer and throw spells at demons and stuff.
Does PSVR not run like garbage on a normal PS4?

PSVR runs pretty drat well for the most part. All games have a locked frame rate. As in, it is strictly mandated by Sony, games aren't allowed to drop below 60fps whatsoever, and some games run at 90 and even 120fps.

The headset's resolution isn't as high as the Oculus so pixels are more noticeable but it's still pretty good.

It uses the Playstation 4 Camera for tracking which also means that you don't have full 360-degree rotation capability like you can get with a full-room setup of Oculus and Vive, and for its handheld controllers it straight-up uses the same controllers the PS3 used with Playstation Move so it's not as accurate as the controls at least with Oculus and certain motions like "throwing" in stuff like Superhot where accuracy is important are more difficult to pull off.

The biggest thing it has going is that it has actually major games behind it. It's slowly improving on PC but PSVR still has exclusivity on a lot of more major titles like Resident Evil VII and even Skyrim VR, and it feels pretty cool playing Farpoint with the new gun controller.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

All these fools dont play these vr games because they’re terrible. Psvr is especially horrid. They just say it’s good cause they need the to defend their broken brains spending the price of a console on their dumb vr goggles

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

TjyvTompa posted:

Has anyone tried Just Cause 3 on the Xbox One X? It has a lot of slowdowns and lag on the regular bone, wonder if it is "fixed".

Let's get away from this VR derail. No this game somehow still runs like absolute poo poo. I really like this game but I remember returning it after trying it on the OG bone. I swear it would dip into the single digits for framerate.
The more I try to play a game on my Xbone upstairs the more of a massive difference I notice from the Xbonx on my 4k panel downstairs. Everything just loads faster and looks awesome. Games "feel" more responsive too but that could be placebo.
If the rumors about mechassault coming back are true I will poo poo my pants that game loving owned on Xbox. When does the Horizon 3 4k patch come out?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

BrownieVK posted:

Let's get away from this VR derail. No this game somehow still runs like absolute poo poo. I really like this game but I remember returning it after trying it on the OG bone. I swear it would dip into the single digits for framerate.
The more I try to play a game on my Xbone upstairs the more of a massive difference I notice from the Xbonx on my 4k panel downstairs. Everything just loads faster and looks awesome. Games "feel" more responsive too but that could be placebo.
If the rumors about mechassault coming back are true I will poo poo my pants that game loving owned on Xbox. When does the Horizon 3 4k patch come out?

Wait, so is it running better or worse on the Xbox One X?
First you say: "No this game somehow still runs like absolute poo poo."
But then you say: "Everything just loads faster and looks awesome."

And I can answer the Forza Horizon 3 question: January 15th

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Like most non enhanced games, it is probably a mix of runs like poo poo cause it’s still 30 fps but runs better cause there’s no fps drops. Can’t confirm with jc3 though as I don’t own that

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

JC3 running like dogshit is one of my biggest disappointments of this gen. JC2 is such a magical game.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

TheScott2K posted:

JC3 running like dogshit is one of my biggest disappointments of this gen. JC2 is such a magical game.

It was such a big letdown, I think pretty much everything in the game is either worse or less fun than in JC2. JC2 had so many hidden spots where you could play around, the jet boat conveniently parked by the small islands that are perfect for jumping a boat. The civilian airport that had nothing but planes taking off enabling an almost infinite amount of cool tricks and stunts. The sky party boat thing. The completely unmarked very long off-road track featuring huge wooden ramps to jump off out in the desert. The different kinds of military airports that didn't have 8 SAM sites surrounding them with planes taking off and landing.

Pretty much everything in JC2 is there for you to have fun and come up with your own tricks and stunts, the main game is just a side thing to unlock everything. The exploration and playing around is what is fun. In JC3 the game is everything, you're there to Blow poo poo Up and take screenshots while doing it. Super boring, really lovely missions. The humor went from campy-bad to just plain bad.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

JC2 is a perfect "just gently caress around for an hour" game. I keep it and Burnout Paradise installed on everything for exactly that reason.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

TjyvTompa posted:

Wait, so is it running better or worse on the Xbox One X?
First you say: "No this game somehow still runs like absolute poo poo."
But then you say: "Everything just loads faster and looks awesome."

And I can answer the Forza Horizon 3 question: January 15th

It runs "better" in that it doesn't dip as hard as often but it still drops down into the mid 20s when lots of poo poo is going on.

I haven't seen an actual redo on frame rate tests but Digital Foundry had a bit of an analysis when they reviewed the X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJmWsgFl6kA&t=721s

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Hmm project scorpio editions available at canadian best buys and MS stores. Thought those were limited edition.....

Also they're selling the og xbone 1TB WITH an elite controller for $199 Cdn at eb games. Elite controllers by themselves are close to $199 after tax usually. Sounds like it's on sale until they run out of stock.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Thought those were limited edition.....

Have you learned nothing from the Xbox One Day One Editions?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm not surprised, just disappointed.

I got a Scorpio edition because they sent me one by accident so idgaf, they both look nice.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

univbee posted:

Have you learned nothing from the Xbox One Day One Editions?

When you go to buy one used, it lets you know to pass on it because it's probably broken,

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

univbee posted:

Emphasis mine. It got removed so they could squeeze a little more performance out of the system.

bring this poo poo back for the xbonex

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
Just beat Halo 2 on MCC after beating 1 a couple months ago (for the first time). These games are great. Fast, arcadey, tight and quality all the way through. And the story gets really cool and interesting in 2. Can't wait for 3.

Am I right in thinking the multiplayer is arena-ish with its fast, arcadey nature and high ttk? What I am asking is I suck at it and how do I get good; I know I'm not playing the right way. It seems like my opponents kill me super quick but I can loving unleash a full assault rifle clip on some dude and still die before him.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Twat McTwatterson posted:

Just beat Halo 2 on MCC after beating 1 a couple months ago (for the first time). These games are great. Fast, arcadey, tight and quality all the way through. And the story gets really cool and interesting in 2. Can't wait for 3.

Am I right in thinking the multiplayer is arena-ish with its fast, arcadey nature and high ttk? What I am asking is I suck at it and how do I get good; I know I'm not playing the right way. It seems like my opponents kill me super quick but I can loving unleash a full assault rifle clip on some dude and still die before him.

Halo multiplayer is not a high ttk at all. Its a dance of grenades, peppering with fire and finishing off with melee attack. Control the power weapons, learn map control do not chase and all that. Halo multiplayer is great because everyone is on an even field (no perks or gear) and if you suck it's your fault lol. It's also great because you can turn an engagement around big time since the shield system is so prevalent.
I play occasionally add me GT: jesuz cicle

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The assault rifle is pretty much only for finishing off dudes or helping out teammates. Use the radar and power weapons and try to get the jump on people. Battle rifle can take out dudes at range in the open with three bursts to the head. When somebody gets the jump on you use the time your shield gives you to either get cover, move, or kill the dude before you if you think your gun is better. Once everybody is about equal skill it’s pretty much down to who controls the power weapons (shotgun, sniper, sword etc). Always be using that radar. Keep in mind it only shows things that are moving

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

TheScott2K posted:

If the games can't get past their current cockpit sims/rail shooters/teleport-for-movement rut with something compelling that has more than an hour of novelty, it's going to fade away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOo8pVgFI3I&t=299s

VR is doing peachy. Generally my assumption when people celebrate its imagined early end is that they can't afford a headset/decent rig.

Continued pricedrops should fix some of that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Edit: NM I've already said what I needed to about VR I'll move on.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 6, 2018

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOo8pVgFI3I&t=299s

VR is doing peachy. Generally my assumption when people celebrate its imagined early end is that they can't afford a headset/decent rig.

I had a PSVR at launch and have a 1080ti PC so maybe it's just that we have very good reasons for not liking it and have not ignored the many signs that it is flailing.

I'm not celebrating, I just wanted it to be be better than it is.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You sold it before any of the games even came out.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I did sell it pretty quickly but that's because I heavily disliked the experience and couldn't imagine any game making me enjoy playing VR. I bought all the "big hits" but was consistently choosing 2D games over VR when I made the decision to sell.

Nothing since has made me go "drat I wish I still had PSVR/I want to buy a Vive" since, and I do keep up with VR news as a general tech dork.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If you didn't like it, it's one thing. Like, not everyone is going to like everything. But most of the opinions about VR itt ranges from misguided to completely untrue. I don't see how you not liking something means it's dying.

I don't see how you owning a psvr for a couple of weeks and not ever owning a pcvr headset (that's an odd credential to include) is going to give you a relevant opinion.

The fact is PSVR has sold well and continues to sell well, and has had a really consistent stream of worthwhile games. I want to see some numbers if your gonna call it a failure because everything I can find online contradicts that.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

veni veni veni posted:

I don't see how you not liking something means it's dying.

You know which thread you're in, right?

Do any of the upcoming Xbox exclusives have release dates yet? I know Crackdown was delayed "to early 2018".

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Seedge posted:

You know which thread you're in, right?

Do any of the upcoming Xbox exclusives have release dates yet? I know Crackdown was delayed "to early 2018".

Sea of Thieves is March 20th.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

CES is about future trends, not imminent releases.

CES is primarily about internet-connected smart fridges.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

veni veni veni posted:

I don't see how you owning a psvr for a couple of weeks and not ever owning a pcvr headset (that's an odd credential to include) is going to give you a relevant opinion.

I said that because some dummy said, in this very thread, that everyone who dislikes VR is too poor to own one. Now you keep looking to disqualify anyone's opinion who disagrees with you.

Let's just watch it play out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Fame Douglas posted:

CES is primarily about internet-connected smart fridges.

That is a big future trend, yes.