Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

As long as you're making excuses for elected Democrats opposing single-payer, stating outright lies about single-payer, or blaming activists for failing to sway voters on single-payer you're my enemy, not my ally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The way to move to single payer is via expansion of Medicare and Medicaid until they swallow up all but the dregs of the private market. Bold New Programs won't do it because they're scary and change things. Just expand (and reform and improve) what's already working.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Democrazy posted:

Has it ever occurred to you that as of right now, there simply aren’t enough people who support single payer to make it happen? It has to me, and we should work to change that.

A lack of support from the voting public is not the problem; it's a lack of support from the Democratic establishment.

Willa Rogers posted:

As long as you're making excuses for elected Democrats opposing single-payer, stating outright lies about single-payer, or blaming activists for failing to sway voters on single-payer you're my enemy, not my ally.

Exactly.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The way to move to single payer is via expansion of Medicare and Medicaid until they swallow up all but the dregs of the private market. Bold New Programs won't do it because they're scary and change things. Just expand (and reform and improve) what's already working.

but that would mean people wouldn't have skin in the game, and dems hate that!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Democrazy posted:

I don’t know how that makes me, a supporter of single payer, the enemy.

"I'm an ally, I'm an ally!" I insist as I slowly shrink into a Democratic consultant group that lobbies against single payer.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

WampaLord posted:

No, what I said is that the hypothetical NBA player would still have access to private insurance for extra money, learn 2 context please.

You don't need to get upset, it was just a funny juxtaposition. Maybe Americans are more eager to gently caress insurance companies up than you realize. Besides, it most certainly what you posted:

WampaLord posted:

This is all total bullshit, not just "playing Devil's Advocate." You have a right winger's idea of how single payer healthcare works, no one is talking about eliminating private insurance, even the UK has private insurance available.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

twodot posted:

Is there a particular method you think needs to change? I don't think anyone is arguing against the concept that getting more people who support you and less people who oppose you is good electoral strategy.

I simply said that ColoradoCare lost by a wide margin and that perhaps that means that there was a failure in some sense to win majority support. How you change tactics I think is open for thoughtful discussion.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Trabisnikof posted:

You don't need to get upset, it was just a funny juxtaposition. Maybe Americans are more eager to gently caress insurance companies up than you realize. Besides, it most certainly what you posted:

huh? :confused:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's weird how lack of popular support is always used for why good things can't be done "right now" but never a reason for not doing unpopular bad things like lovely tax plans, military adventures, bailing out the financial industry and not the average home owner, continuing the drug war, etc, etc as quickly as possible.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Holy poo poo. Why is it so goddamn hard? Even in this allegedly left leaning thread single payer is such a controversial topic. Why is this a debate?.

Enact single payer on the federal level, end of discussion. No more defending ACA or debating if it was helpful or not because ACA is now in the dustbin of history and was always a bandaid half measure anyway.

How about creating a shitlist of bad Dems who sabotage single payer so we can shame them and primary them out of office. This problem will never be fixed at the ballot box. It has to be fixed at the primary level.
Leftist democrats need to hold their party accountable and use every lever available to them to get their people into place.

Mimic the success of Jeremy Corbyn’s momentum movement. Primary anyone who opposes single payer through negligence or open intent. This is not a Democrat vs republican fight. It’s a right vs left fight and until all right wing influence from the demcorat party is excised there will be no change.

If this is not done, all the Democrat party serves is to be a heatsink for any left wing and progressive calls for change so they can be diffused, co-opted and rendered ineffectual.

It should be easier to do a New Deal 2.0. Not harder.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 4, 2018

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Democrazy posted:

I simply said that ColoradoCare lost by a wide margin and that perhaps that means that there was a failure in some sense to win majority support. How you change tactics I think is open for thoughtful discussion.

people have already been discussing it and you have been telling them they're wrong. it lost by a wide margin cause the dems torpedoed it

how is it that you have amnesia wrt a discussion i thought you were actively taking part in?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Democrazy posted:

Others have pointed out that a big part of why it lost by such a wide margin is because parts of the Democratic establishment actively sabotaged it, and you got all huffy and defensive.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Take another pass on that, chief, I was merely pointing out that other countries with nationalized healthcare still have private insurance available as an option for those well off enough to afford it.

And I'm totally fine with private insurance dying, it's just extremely unlikely to happen, even if we did pass Medicare For All.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Radish posted:

It's weird how lack of popular support is always used for why good things can't be done "right now" but never a reason for not doing unpopular bad things like lovely tax plans, military adventures, bailing out the financial industry and not the average home owner, continuing the drug war, etc, etc.

It's almost as if our system is biased towards making it easier to do those bad things and harder to do those good things.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Majorian posted:

A lack of support from the voting public is not the problem; it's a lack of support from the Democratic establishment.

That would require these things called "leadership" and "having a vision". Unfortunately, you won't find much in establishment figures who give more shits about their paychecks than people dying in the streets or sliding into poverty.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

It's almost as if our system is biased towards making it easier to do those bad things and harder to do those good things.

Or, perhaps it's that Democratic elected officials and consultants just aren't as motivated to get poo poo that their base wants passed, as Republicans.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's fine and good until expansion means slightly increasing the Medicaid income threshold, or means-testing Medicare expansion and having "buy-ins," both of which are in vogue among Dem pols.

I do like Pritzker's proposal to open up Medicaid to all and have subsidies now going to private insurers be applicable toward Medicaid, but we'd still face the wrath of voters subject to mean-testing, same as is the case under the ACA.

But sure: Remove the income threshold to Medicaid entirely, have the government fund 100 percent the cost of anyone who wants Medicaid, and allow anyone who still wants to purchase private insurance to do so, and then you're cooking with gas!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

What made it easier to bail out financial companies but not home owners who were taken advantage of by those financial interests. What's so hard about decriminalizing pot, especially when the majority of people want that?

"It's hard to do good things, unlike bad things that are super easy like going to war for almost two decades under false pretenses at the cost of trillions of dollars!!" is always the excuse but it seems to me they don't really try to do those good things so maybe it's about lack of effort rather than being unrealistic.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Majorian posted:

Or, perhaps it's that Democratic elected officials and consultants just aren't as motivated to get poo poo that their base wants passed, as Republicans.

Sure and a systemic view would look to why those motivations are as they are.

I'm just pointing out that America, as a country, a society, a culture, we are biased towards all those lovely things and it takes extra work to do good. Until we change ourselves (more work), it will always be easier to go to war than feed the poor. It isn't fair or just, but is the uphill battle to be fought.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Majorian posted:

Actually, a lack of support from the voting public was exactly at stake in Colorado, because the voters had the ability to vote on it, and they overwhelmingly rejected it. If they supported it then we would be having an extremely different discussion!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Willa Rogers posted:

That's fine and good until expansion means slightly increasing the Medicaid income threshold, or means-testing Medicare expansion and having "buy-ins," both of which are in vogue among Dem pols.

I do like Pritzker's proposal to open up Medicaid to all and have subsidies now going to private insurers be applicable toward Medicaid, but we'd still face the wrath of voters subject to mean-testing, same as is the case under the ACA.

But sure: Remove the income threshold to Medicaid entirely, have the government fund 100 percent the cost of anyone who wants Medicaid, and allow anyone who still wants to purchase private insurance to do so, and then you're cooking with gas!

Even then you'd need to make all the "optional" Medicaid services, like dental etc., "mandatory" like they are for under-21s, in order to have complete coverage.

My personal take is that anything that expands the medicaid rolls is good because the more medicaid enrollees there are the more people have a stake in the program, the more doctors will accept Medicaid, etc., and hopefully we get a virtuous cycle forming where increased medicaid enrollment encourages better medicaid programs and vice-versa. Basically I support any policy that maintains Medicaid/Care coverage at current levels and also adds any additional amount of further enrollees, as incremental steps towards universal coverage.

Each person who gets medicare/medicaid is a vote to expand and improve the programs, so anything that adds to the rolls without kicking people off in the process is a positive step.

I'm open to persuasion on why that's a bad approach or what the drawbacks are but it seems like the most (& perhaps only) practical path forward to true universal coverage to me. Government healthcare coverage is a ratchet, so we just need to keep ratcheting forward.

edit: I'm not really closely familiar with the ColoradoCare proposal but it looks like it would have sabotaged the state Medicaid program so I'd probably be agin it.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 4, 2018

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Radish posted:

What made it easier to bail out financial companies but not home owners who were taken advantage of by those financial interests. What's so hard about decriminalizing pot, especially when the majority of people want that?

"It's hard to do good things, unlike bad things that are super easy like going to war for almost two decades under false pretenses at the cost of trillions of dollars!!" is always the excuse but it seems to me they don't really try to do those good things so maybe it's about lack of effort rather than being unrealistic.

Because the banks can scream about the end of the world if they lose their millions but the homeowners have to live their lives and can't all fly to D.C. to lobby?

Dont confuse descriptive statements for prescriptive ones.

I'm saying it will be hard as gently caress, and thus we should plan accordingly, not that we shouldn't try.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Trabisnikof posted:

Sure and a systemic view would look to why those motivations are as they are.

I'm just pointing out that America, as a country, a society, a culture, we are biased towards all those lovely things and it takes extra work to do good. Until we change ourselves (more work), it will always be easier to go to war than feed the poor. It isn't fair or just, but is the uphill battle to be fought.

we already know why these motivations are as they are. dems are in the pocket of big donors and those things align with the interests of their donors

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Democrazy posted:

Actually, a lack of support from the voting public was exactly at stake in Colorado, because the voters had the ability to vote on it, and they overwhelmingly rejected it. If they supported it then we would be having an extremely different discussion!

Do you understand why this is essentially a "nothing matters" argument?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Kilroy posted:

Manchin is going to be replaced by Swear Engine.

https://patrickmorrisey.com/

His opponent this year is a dumbass. I doubt he's going to win though, polls favor Manchin pretty heavily.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Democrazy posted:

Has it ever occurred to you that as of right now, there simply aren’t enough people who support single payer to make it happen? It has to me, and we should work to change that.

I don’t know how that makes me, a supporter of single payer, the enemy. But if I’m the opposition, then that’s one less person you have toward making sure that single payer succeeds. I would rather work with people than against them, particularly people with whom I don’t seem to have a policy disagreement. My belief in collaboration actually informs my support of single payer, actually.
I don't know what you do off the forums, but all you've done here is defend bad Democrats who block and obstruct attempts to implement single-payer. If that's any indication of what you'd be like as an ally, single-payer advocates would probably be better off without you. You're exactly the type who would "strategically" come out against a state-level provision because it doesn't check some insignificant box for you or because it's a a win but it's not a "big enough" win so we need to bide our time, or, or... Meanwhile we're wasting shitloads of money on a health care system that gets people killed.

It's like you're trying to play 5D chess without bothering to learn the rules of the 2D version or score some easy wins there, first.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Grapplejack posted:

https://patrickmorrisey.com/

His opponent this year is a dumbass. I doubt he's going to win though, polls favor Manchin pretty heavily.
Manchin isn't going to make it to the general election.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Democrazy posted:

Actually, a lack of support from the voting public was exactly at stake in Colorado

:laffo: Going back to the "Democratic establishment opposition couldn't possibly have affected the way people voted!" mindset, are we?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Kilroy posted:

Manchin isn't going to make it to the general election.

god willing. too bad the establishment is already putting their thumbs on the scale for him

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

Majorian posted:

:laffo: Going back to the "Democratic establishment opposition couldn't possibly have affected the way people voted!" mindset, are we?

I don’t know what supporting a policy is if not voting for it. There is no purer way to support or reject a policy than that.

The majority of Coloradans rejecting single payer is a statement of fact. That’s all. No causations, correlations, support or opposition implied.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Democrazy posted:

I don’t know what supporting a policy is if not voting for it. There is no purer way to support or reject a policy than that.

The majority of Coloradans rejecting single payer is a statement of fact. That’s all. No causations, correlations, support or opposition implied.

it's also fairly well accepted in the thread so i dunno why you think repeating it means anything

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Democrazy posted:

Except that you then throw a shitfit when people bring up that Democratic establishment opposition to it probably played a role in it.:psyduck:

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Condiv posted:

god willing. too bad the establishment is already putting their thumbs on the scale for him
I've donated to her campaign and will continue to do so. Others should do the same if they have the funds. Manchin should be priority #1 in the Senate for progressives: he does not belong in the Democratic party and needs to go. Establishment thumbs are tiny and weak - the thumbs of the people are fearsome and all-powerful.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Majorian posted:

I mean, their record isn't that great in that area lol

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

Majorian posted:

Except that you then throw a shitfit when people bring up that Democratic establishment opposition to it probably played a role in it.:psyduck:

I’m merely saying that we don’t know what kind of role. And that it’s clear that a majority of people didn’t support it. And that if a majority of people did support it, then it would have won, and that the proponents should work to make sure a majority do next time.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

I mean, their record isn't that great in that area lol

They're pretty good at convincing people not to vote for Democrats and Democratic bills, so...

Democrazy posted:

I’m merely saying that we don’t know what kind of role.

It's not terribly hard to suss out what kind of role they played. You should actually read the Intercept piece, and the pieces it links to.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Democrazy posted:

I’m merely saying that we don’t know what kind of role. And that it’s clear that a majority of people didn’t support it. And that if a majority of people did support it, then it would have won, and that the proponents should work to make sure a majority do next time.
You have a grasp of politics and democracy that would embarrass a precocious five year-old :psyduck: what the gently caress are you doing on this forum?

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

Majorian posted:

They're pretty good at convincing people not to vote for Democrats and Democratic bills, so...

It's not terribly hard to suss out what kind of role they played. You should actually read the Intercept piece, and the pieces it links to.

So it would have won without a campaign? Can you prove that?

Or is it a belief?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Democrazy posted:

and you're wrong, cause it's pretty clear what role the dem party being against something will play with dem voters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Democrazy posted:

So it would have won without a campaign? Can you prove that?

Or is it a belief?

he didn't claim that

try reading next time

• Locked thread