Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qubee
May 31, 2013

TheFluff posted:

If you want to talk about gambling on crypto, the BFC thread is probably the best place for that.

I didn't intend to come here and ask advice or talk about what coins to invest in. I just wanted to know what sites you use to nab your BTC / ETH from. 1gnoirents' post was helpful, I'll check out Binance.

I'll leave you guys to it, thanks for the advice and taking the time to write replies. Best of luck with your mining endeavours.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Buy high sell low, hodl 4ever

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Q8ee posted:

I didn't intend to come here and ask advice or talk about what coins to invest in. I just wanted to know what sites you use to nab your BTC / ETH from. 1gnoirents' post was helpful, I'll check out Binance.

I'll leave you guys to it, thanks for the advice and taking the time to write replies. Best of luck with your mining endeavours.

this is the most polite post i've ever seen on these forums

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If Coinbase is out, how do you cash out? Are gift cards and/or sketchy foreign exchanges the only option at that point?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
BEFORE YOU BUY, look into how to get your money out in your locale. That’s all there is to it. Some countries banks freeze accounts, others send angry letters, some close accounts.

Canada has quadrigacx, the US has Coinbase, you have ?

If you figure out post back :)

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Risky Bisquick posted:

The YOSPOS thread is a wordier version of the GBS thread.

yeah but I post book news there so

also there's a draft of "why you can't cash out pt 3" waiting for goons to rip it to shreds

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Risky Bisquick posted:

BEFORE YOU BUY, look into how to get your money out in your locale. That’s all there is to it. Some countries banks freeze accounts, others send angry letters, some close accounts.

Canada has quadrigacx, the US has Coinbase, you have ?

If you figure out post back :)

Is Coinbase the only real option for extracting USD? Because if so lol

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

QuarkJets posted:

There’s also Crazy Larry down in LocalBitcoins

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

QuarkJets posted:

There are several others, but Coinbase is probably the most user-friendly and reliably functional of them.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Checkout this sweet pro looking rig, dope af

Or this highly customized mining frame using 3m transparent tape

How about I put this 1500w of heat into a carpeted closet, doors closed. Heat no problem, let me rig up a dehumidifier to blow that poo poo out

Heat travels up, rig is sweeeet

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Why yes my wind chimes are made of graphics cards, what of it?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

DrDork posted:

There are several others, but Coinbase is probably the most user-friendly and reliably functional of them.

time to play ... banking roulette!!

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
So coinbase wont let me sell or transfer btc because im in aus but it will still let me buy wtf?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Scarecow posted:

So coinbase wont let me sell or transfer btc because im in aus but it will still let me buy wtf?

Why on earth would you ever need to sell? -Bitcoiner

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Scarecow posted:

I see you’ve discovered thei business model

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Scarecow posted:

did you discover this before or after buying?

they didn't warn in the interface for years in the case of Canada for instance

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Scarecow posted:

that's the exact same poo poo they pulled with me. let me buy without issue, transfer it to another wallet and pay their extortionate fee. fast forward a few weeks, I transfer back to Coinbase, and exchange BTC to GBP (again paying their extortionate fees). I was not once warned that withdrawals aren't available to UK banks, I would be forced to withdraw as EUR and then be hit with exchange fees from both Coinbase and my bank. so I'm stuck with GBP that I can't do anything with, all the while BTC prices are slowly increasing, and I've paid their extortionate fees, and I'll have to pay more to revert it back to BTC. I email their support, asking them to revoke the transactions and let me just have it back as BTC, no reply for 1 month. so I got my bank involved and had a chargeback issued and then Coinbase closed my account the very next day. though when I got my bank involved, I told them that the price of Coinbase's fuckup was whatever the value of BTCs I had initially exchanged to GBP was and then asked the bank to chargeback the present-day BTC price.

divabot posted:

did you discover this before or after buying?

they didn't warn in the interface for years in the case of Canada for instance

same with UK. didn't warn you until after you'd exchanged BTC > GBP. super scummy tactic. there was no way to find out unless you had GBP in the wallet to try and withdraw, that's when they popped up their "you can't withdraw to UK banks"

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Coinbase now says you can withdraw to uk banks. You have to verify a bank account with a international payment of 1 euro supposedly... I am currently trying to get some money out myself.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Coinbase can piss off. To have such terrible customer service with regards to something as volatile as BTC where time can be the difference between making money and losing money? Having support leave a ticket for an entire month with zero response is inexcusable, especially for a site / company that makes such a vast amount of money from transaction fees. Salt in the wound is the automated "Thank you for submitting your request. Due to increased volume it may take up to 72 hours to receive a response".

Yet the second you get your bank involved and have your chargeback go through, they're instantly on top of shutting down your account.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 4, 2018

zerofunk
Apr 24, 2004
Do they let you do it in GBP though? I thought you've been able to do it to UK banks for a while but only as a Euro denominated transaction. I didn't learn that until I already sold off everything into GBP. Although if you have GBP in Coinbase, you can use GDAX (as previously mentioned by someone else, they're owned by Coinbase and integrate fairly well) to move it into Euros without too much effort.

From there, I've just given up on trying to go straight to my normal bank and opened up a Revolut account. You can do SEPA transfers to that from Coinbase/GDAX for 15 euro cent fee (charged by Coinbase). Revolut lets you easily exchange between GBP/Euros/whatever else and then do normal UK bank transfers in GBP.

It's all a pain. And I still need to figure out exactly what I'm going to do with the Monero I've been mining. Probably find an exchange that handles it to convert into LTC and send to Coinbase/GDAX.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Q8ee posted:

Coinbase can piss off. To have such terrible customer service with regards to something as volatile as BTC where time can be the difference between making money and losing money? Having support leave a ticket for an entire month with zero response is inexcusable, especially for a site / company that makes such a vast amount of money from transaction fees. Salt in the wound is the automated "Thank you for submitting your request. Due to increased volume it may take up to 72 hours to receive a response".

Yet the second you get your bank involved and have your chargeback go through, they're instantly on top of shutting down your account.

Oh... well if you did a chargeback you can indeed write them off as a viable source of any services

Qubee
May 31, 2013

1gnoirents posted:

Oh... well if you did a chargeback you can indeed write them off as a viable source of any services

In my defense, I initiated the chargeback after giving them a month to reply to my ticket. This was during BTCs explosive growth period, so you can imagine how frustrating that was knowing I wasn't even benefitting from it as Coinbase had pretty much screwed me over. Even if I hadn't initiated a chargeback and had let them get away with it, I wouldn't use them again purely out of principle.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Im not saying you shouldnt have, its just the nuclear option has been deployed is all lol. All my money was tied up in Nicehash during a 1000%+ month, which was just then stolen, so I feel your pain.

Though im still using Nicehash :lol:

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

zerofunk posted:

Do they let you do it in GBP though? I thought you've been able to do it to UK banks for a while but only as a Euro denominated transaction.

It’s seems an option now... if it works or not remains to be seen. Will report back!

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Oh man, I dont know who to thank for these mining rates but I'm getting a daily $20+ payout from Nicehash and its basically been at those rates for 2 weeks now. Thats just on two GPUs, my old gaming 1080 and my new gaming 1080ti. I'm so so so very glad I didn't dump the 1080. This is going to be a $600 month if it goes like this for 2 more weeks. And the 1080ti isnt even 24/7!

I wish I built a "proper" rig now but after looking at prices/stock that ship has sailed for the time being.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

1gnoirents posted:

Oh man, I dont know who to thank for these mining rates but I'm getting a daily $20+ payout from Nicehash and its basically been at those rates for 2 weeks now. Thats just on two GPUs, my old gaming 1080 and my new gaming 1080ti. I'm so so so very glad I didn't dump the 1080. This is going to be a $600 month if it goes like this for 2 more weeks. And the 1080ti isnt even 24/7!

I wish I built a "proper" rig now but after looking at prices/stock that ship has sailed for the time being.

How much are you making for each card? I wonder what the payback period is for them.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Fired up NiceHash Miner out of curiosity to check the numbers and it's flipping between $10-11 CAD/day on a stock 1080 Ti.

This is such a weird fuckin hobby.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
At $600/mo you're looking at 25-ish days to pay off the 1080 and another 40-ish days to pay off the 1080ti.

Assuming you can actually cash out, of course.

e; I've been getting ~$7-8/day out of MiningPoolHub on a single 1080. There are a few real weird coins that have been paying silly rates lately. No idea wtf they are or why. Also don't care! Gimme mah money, random investment people!

DrDork fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 4, 2018

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Again, thank you for your service to my 0.05 BTC held hostage on NiceHash

1gnoirents posted:

:smugdon:

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

DrDork posted:

At $600/mo you're looking at 25-ish days to pay off the 1080 and another 40-ish days to pay off the 1080ti.

He's talking CAD numbers so your math is a bit off there.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Three 1070s here, making between $3.50-5.00 (USD) a day per card depending on the day. Pretty goddamn rad, looking at paying off the last card in ~three more months.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
I bought some wifi plug-->s<-- :shepspends:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Cinara posted:

Ah, that makes more sense since whattomine.com was saying that he should be generating about $12 USD in revenue, not 20.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Cinara posted:

You're right. With the conversion to USD, those times-to-pay-off jump by 25%.

And then of course you have to factor in VAT and the generally higher CAD prices anyhow, and you're probably looking at more like +50%.

So like 37ish days for the 1080 and an additional 60ish days for the 1080Ti, assuming prices remain where they are (they won't).

Still, three months to pay off two top-end video cards is pretty :krad:

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea I am pretty jazzed that I have fully paid off both of my 1080ti's and we are still months away from new Nvidia cards that would cause them to tank in value. GPU mining has always been a much lower risk investment compared to ASIC mining, but lower reward also. Nicehash and other similar systems has just made it much easier and allows me to get actual real money out of it without a ton of steps in the process. Plus if everything goes to poo poo you still have real cards to resell.

It's a horrible idea but I am pretty tempted to actually invest a bit into things if nothing significant has changed when the next gen of cards comes out.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Weekly reminder that putting money into this dumb hobby makes you a valid target for ridicule when things start sliding into oblivion.

While the OP is horribly out of date and I apologize for not revamping it for the current climate the first few lines are still incredibly valid.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Kazinsal posted:

Weekly reminder that putting money into this dumb hobby makes you a valid target for ridicule when things start sliding into oblivion.

While the OP is horribly out of date and I apologize for not revamping it for the current climate the first few lines are still incredibly valid.

Flip side of this: If you're buying GPUs in the current overpriced environment and NOT using them to mine, you're paying more than you needed to for the GPUs.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Short of physically segmenting the blockchain pioneers with mandatory signed blockchain only drivers, I think the new pricing scheme may continue going forward. People are more than willing to buy cards at the current prices regardless of miners. By setting MSRP that high they can get more profits instead of the distribution chain.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

DrDork posted:

So like 37ish days for the 1080 and an additional 60ish days for the 1080Ti, assuming prices remain where they are (they won't).

I used to be like you. I underestimated the stupidity of Bitcoin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Which gpus are most likely to hold value when the big sell off happens? I feel like 570 580 and 1060 will be bad since there are just so many. 1080ti might take a larger hit if the new gen x70 is as good and 400.

I feel like the 1070 is most likely to hold the closest to msrp

• Locked thread