Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man
Seeing as it's a tv show and not a game of sports, I enjoyed every episode. Did he do a yearly wipe for 2017?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Elijah Snow posted:

Seeing as it's a tv show and not a game of sports, I enjoyed every episode. Did he do a yearly wipe for 2017?

nah but it's probably for the best. they used to be 50/50 humour to brutal reality, but a 2017 wipe would be nothing but depressing. think i might go back and listen to the old yearly wipes + all the old screenwipe episodes though. gently caress it, maybe dead set as well.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

His intention with Metalhead was probably to get the viewer to feel alienated from the shown world. Excessive world building would not have worked with that idea at all. It's a deliberate choice and I think it was the right one. Did you also not like the lack of world building in Man against Fire? It also had the absolute minimum amount necessary and didn't get bogged down in trying to create continuity with the real world.

The tactical stuff complains are IMO overblown. She didn't think she would survive, so she send a farewell message to her people to let them know what happened. The dog tracked her primarily through blood/smell anyway, so it didn't even matter in the end and she probably realised that. And as far as the car chase scene goes: I would have stopped in that situation too, to see what happened, htbh. This absolutely did not register for me as unusual. It also had zero effect on anything, since the dog was able to drive the car and could have caught up with her anyway(she didn't even know that the dog could drive the van since it looked quite old and the dog can only drive smart cars)

The toy box reveal I kinda agree on. They spend several scenes and dialogue in the beginning to justify it but it doesn't really work that well. They could have done it better. I guess if you assume that the dogs only activate when you get real close to them and they are not that much of danger if you keep your distance, it kinda works. But then again, the two guys with her are shown to be really nervous and scared about the supply run, so I dunno.

ickna
May 19, 2004

misguided rage posted:

You're misinterpreting that quote pretty badly. While the fact that they died trying to get them is obviously depressing, the bears themselves are comforting. The message is that this world is so bleak and empty that they were risking their lives for the chance to bring even a modicum of comfort to one of the few people left. The ending would have been much weaker if it had been a crate of medicine, or something else they were going after out of strict necessity.

I don't think I am:

quote:

We went back and forth on what should be in that warehouse. Originally in the script, it just said “toys.” The idea was a box of toys for a dying child. David wanted it to be the only soft and comforting thing that we saw in the entire piece. He wanted it to be something softer and more immediately comforting. So we went for bears.

This says to me that the director was more focused on the visual impact, which is my point about the whole piece being more of an affectation. The story is in service of the presentation. Not trying to ad hominem but we're talking about a director whose bread and butter was music videos and vampire movies (lol Twilight: Eclipse) before directing TV episodes, so it makes sense.

I'm not arguing against what you're saying the message that comes out of it is either, because I completely agree on that interpretation. It would have come across with the same message with a box of toys, as originally written. The part where he says they went back and forth on what should be in the warehouse could also imply that they considered more practical contents but came to a similar conclusion that it would weaken the impact. I think the ending would have been stronger if we never saw what was in the box.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

ickna posted:

Metalhead:
I didn't like Metalhead, and neither did the other four of my friends who watched it. After watching it a second time to validate my feelings and criticism, It felt like somebody's college film class project and didn't really fit in to the overall feel of BM. Literally two minutes worth of exposition or world building would have given me more reason to care about the main character and her motivations or to be afraid of the dogs on something more than a visceral "this thing kills indiscriminately" level. The chain of poor decisions the protagonist made early on and survived was annoying because her success didn't feel earned. In the final act, she actually starts making good tactical decisions to outwit the dog and has to try increasingly more clever ways to outmaneuver the dog, making her short-lived victory feel earned before it is cut short by the shrapnel burst. And then there's the box reveal, which completely fell flat and just made the whole endeavor seem pointless.

I'm not going to make excuses for the teleplay by filling in the blanks from my own imagination, when it is obvious from the interviews after the fact that they didn't really know what they wanted to do or say with it. In the interview Brooker mentions scrapping the drone operator angle because it didn't feel right:

It wasn't superfluous, it gave us a context to understand what the main character was up against and a reason to care about her success or failure. What he should of said in this interview was "we sort of deliberately decided not to flesh out any of the backstory" because that is how it came off in the final presentation. The radio monologues establish the vaguest of motivations for the protagonist, but are deliberately obtuse enough to protect the box reveal at the end and don't do anything to tell us what we haven't already been shown in the opening scene; they mostly just serve to build tension as the dog homes in on her signal, which she acknowledges is happening(!), and the proceeds to keep transmitting for some time after anyway(!!).

And then they didn't even know what they wanted to be in the boxes up front, other than "toys":

The loss of three lives for a box of toys is depressing, not comforting. It revealed the MacGuffin, which is far more powerful to this kind of story as an unknown element- but it had to be revealed or there wouldn't have been that Black Mirror Twist™. If that final scene had just shown the corpse and the unopened box, it would have been a great tie-in to the first act to wrap things up and left us all wondering about what was in the box that was worth three people's lives (medicine to cure an outbreak the dogs were sent to eradicate? Marsellus Wallace's soul? the holy loving grail?). What we are left with instead is wondering "why is this world the way it is and how did it get to be that way", without really caring about the protagonist or the other two people who died because their deaths seem even more absurd in the context of a box of teddy bears.

To me, this just shows that this was a high concept script by Brooker that didn't get much critical thought for execution beyond * a e s t h e t I c * and the broadest strokes of human emotion vs. cold machine decision making. This is also evident in the series of tweets by the director featuring the visuals such as the scouting photos, discussion about the focus on the B&W treatment, and overall execution- which is great when you have good story to tell with it, instead of making the affectation of the execution the focus.

The future of BM:
My overall impression is that Brooker is struggling to make the same impact and writing quality over six episodes per season for Netflix as he was when doing 3 episodes per season for Channel 4, and this shows with what are often considered the weaker points of each season. To wit, 1/3 of each of the first two seasons had one episode that from my impression this thread feel is weak (S1:E1, S2:E3 [national anthem, Waldo moment]) and when the episode count goes up, the ratio of mediocre episodes follows (S3:E5, E6 [men against fire, hated in the nation]). On the last season, the most lukewarm reception seems to be focused on 3 & 5 (crocodile & metalhead) with several posters mentioning that they feel one or the other of those is the weakest of the entire series.

Considering the fact the Netflix only commissioned twelve episodes and this season brings us the last 6 of that order with no news of a renewal, as well as the tidy package that Black Museum seems to wrap around the whole series as a kind of finale, I think Brooker has positioned the show to end while it is ahead if necessary. The future of the show hinges on critical reception and awards this year to determine if it is worth another round of funding by Netflix- and it may very well be with its popularity and the end of House of Cards. Brooker still has an anthology of novellas written by others and set in the BM universe due for release over the coming years, so it will continue in some form. Personally, I hope he steps back on the writing aspect to let others lead, focuses on show running, and we get some fresh ideas that don't retread the VR/cookies/phones but too much plots and the show continues on for a few more seasons.

100% agree on everything here.

I really don't get how people can defend what was obviously subpar writing, directing, acting, and development of a concept into a story.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Doltos posted:

100% agree on everything here.

I really don't get how people can defend what was obviously subpar writing, directing, acting, and development of a concept into a story.

i can understand the other complaints (though i don't think i agree with them) but acting, really? maxine peake was loving great dude.

in terms of acting on the show i don't think anyone's going to top daniel kaluuya in 15MM but it definitely wasn't a step down from the rest.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Man, I'm having fun imagining the implied continuation of Callister.

They're now fully sentient AI's inside an MMO that are, presumably, the only sentient and self-aware NPC's in the game. So like it's shown in the ending, everyone they interact with is a player that acts like a typical online gamer loving around inside a virtual sandbox, but for them it's functionally real life and their actions have actual stakes. They feel pain and pleasure and could, presumably, die.

I mean, if they made it an actual show it would probably be terrible but the concept is awesome.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Imagine having to live inside EVE Online.

:smithicide:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

What if the next update patch deletes them from the server since they're rogue code?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Lovechop posted:

i can understand the other complaints (though i don't think i agree with them) but acting, really? maxine peake was loving great dude.

in terms of acting on the show i don't think anyone's going to top daniel kaluuya in 15MM but it definitely wasn't a step down from the rest.

All she did was scream at the dogs and be wide eyed the entire time.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

WampaLord posted:

What if the next update patch deletes them from the server since they're rogue code?

That was the plan anyway so it’s not that bad.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

WampaLord posted:

Since the Tommy Lolly is in the museum of horrors, I assumed that they sent messages to players explaining what happened.

Do we take the directors notes as Canon? They said that Daly starved to death because of his do not disturb sign. With him dead, the rogue code npc squad are the only way for people to know what he had done.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Fans posted:

That was the plan anyway so it’s not that bad.

Well that was the plan back when they were gonadless and stuck in an eternal waking nightmare, now that they have a whole universe to explore, I imagine they probably don't want to be deleted.

But it was more of a jokey question than a real one. The episode is clearly telling us they will go on to live happily ever after, there's really no point in going beyond that ending.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

WampaLord posted:

Well that was the plan back when they were gonadless and stuck in an eternal waking nightmare, now that they have a whole universe to explore, I imagine they probably don't want to be deleted.

But it was more of a jokey question than a real one. The episode is clearly telling us they will go on to live happily ever after, there's really no point in going beyond that ending.

It wouldn't have done much for the story but I'd love to see the NPCs meeting their real counterparts in Infinity.

Also I thought it was interesting how Walton was really cool and liked in Space Fleet compared to his sleazy real counterpart where they still say he's alright despite that. Lack of genitals probably had an impact on that.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Alhazred posted:

What if healthcare, but not enough

They kind of touched on that in Nosedive, with the really low-rated trucker that offered the woman a ride. She mentions that she stopped giving a gently caress after her husband didn’t get some experimental treatment/chemo because he had a 4.7 and someone else got the spot because they had a 4.8.

There was a news story a few months ago where a mentally ill man went to the ER begging for help/medication because he was mentally unhinged and was saying he was going to hurt someone. He was turned away. He tried again to get help/emergency rx refill; the psych ward held him for an hour then left him to his own devices. He went on to murder three people.

I’m sure the BM writers could figure out a tech-based ‘healthcare based on merit’ scenario, or something like, ‘everyone has a hookup that automatically dispenses necessary prescription meds; but suddenly a paranoid schizophrenic’s dispenser malfunctions’

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
A device used to monitor your health so they can diagnose you in real time but it’s only really used by insurance companies to gently caress people over.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Fans posted:

A device used to monitor your health so they can diagnose you in real time but it’s only really used by insurance companies to gently caress people over.

We basically have that now. Certain health insurance companies give you a discount if you wear a FitBit and let them have access to the data.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Industry is slowly destroying the planet but everyone pretends they aren’t or that they are but it’ll fix itself somehow, because it’d mean they had to stop otherwise, and then everybody drowns.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
This is why Dystopian sci-fi has gone out of fashion. It's getting harder to think of things people could do that would be worse than what we're already doing.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
A show that starts off making criticism of tech in the UK and its poisonous effect on empathy but eventually the market gets a hold of it and it ends up putting out glitzy US style productions with gently caress all to say, a complete shell of its former self.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
My thoughts nobody cares about :

Overall
I liked this season. I agree that there were no outstanding episodes this time but I enjoyed every single one of them. Although I would have accepted one lovely episode in exchange for also having an amazing one. I really enjoy speculative science fiction though, I like plenty of science fiction action movies that are really not that good (though I still think all these episodes are actually good).

SS Callister
The main guy completely neglected to stand up for himself IRL ever. He was the (co-) owner of the place! Tell the receptionist "I need you to engage with people who come into the building, it's literally your job", tell the CEO that not everything is possible just because he promised the shareholders. Also accept that people make mistakes sometimes and realize that if you're the boss, not everyone will like you, especially if you creep on them. Eventually this is also his downfall, standing up for yourself is so alien to him that he just doesn't anticipate his videogame characters taking their fate in their own hands. Take their mouth away for a minute and they're meek and subservient for all eternity.

I'm conflicted on the question of whether code can ever be sentient, I just don't see how any number of lines of code could ever form a sentient whole (a whole perfectly simulating sentience I can see). On the other hand, I don't really see how a pile of molecules could achieve that either yet here we are. The show seems to lean pretty heavily into them being sentient, and I definitely think torturing indistinguishable from real pretend people is a major sign of being a sociopath.

Arkangel
This was the most similar to previous Black Mirror episodes to me, which is both a positive and a negative.

Crocodile
As opposed to people who thought the small lady made this totally unbelievable, I'm on the other side. It's too real. It's just someone murdering to cover up other murders, the tech doesn't really change much about that story and it could easily be tweaked into almost the same story without any fancy Black Mirror tech. I could totally see this happening in real life minus the memory reader. Still a fun crime story though.

Hang the DJ
I enjoyed it but don't have much interesting to say about it.

Metalhead
Someone already linked the slaughterbots thing. I had already seen that and that was on my mind the whole time. It's the high tech version of a mine field of a war decades past. Autonomous drones are already technologically possible and the only thing preventing the whole world population from being wiped out by them in the future is cost and availability. Just like nukes I suppose, but the difficulty of acquiring one of those is way higher than a small army of killdrones will be in a decade or two.

Black Museum
Three smaller stories for the price of one, all pretty fun. The wife living inside her husband's head immediately made me think what a terrible idea it was, but more Black Mirror tech does that and it doesn't impede my enjoyment. To me it was a critique on keeping people in a coma alive for years. Erasing the wife is considered bad ("That would be murder!") but essentially putting her in solitary confinement for years is fine.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Xealot posted:

Hang the DJ could've said so much more than it did...I kind of resent the simplicity of the actual ending now that I've thought about it.

The matching algorithm for this future-Tinder is ultimately not predictive, it's statistically observed: based on 1000 simulations pairing Amy+Frank, they chose each other 998 times. A 99.8% match. But the thing I can't reconcile is, Amy and Frank aren't the only users. Dating sites don't pick one possible partner, they assess compatibility against the entire userbase. And compatibility isn't 1 or 0, it's a percentage. Amy+Frank are 99.8% percent. But maybe Frank also has a 93% match. Maybe in another city, Amy would have a 99.9%.

That's where I wish the episode went, because what's hosed up about it is that these pairings *aren't hypothetical*. They all literally exist, simulated in the cloud hundreds of times. If Amy had a layover in Montreal, the app would simulate 999/1000 scenarios where Pierre was the love of her life. But she swiped left, because she didn't live in Montreal.

I'll do you one better on how stupid this dating app was. Amy and Frank didn't have their percentage determined and then decided to meet. Like on most dating sites or even Tinder its an area/city then you maybe chat or whatever and then you meet somewhere. They were both at the bar when the computer ran its simulations and gave them their number. It wasn't even city wide matches, it was just people in the bar apparently. It finds your perfect mate who will always be within 10ft of you when you run the app?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Griefor posted:

Erasing the wife is considered bad ("That would be murder!") but essentially putting her in solitary confinement for years is fine.

I really loved how he was all "You have Carrie on pause right now? Great, let's talk deletion."

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

FireWorksWell posted:

Walton was really cool and liked in Space Fleet compared to his sleazy real counterpart

Was Real Walton actually sleazy? The part where he's established as a Mean Guy are early in the episode when we're still supposed to think Daly is a decent dude

Blackchamber posted:

I'll do you one better on how stupid this dating app was. Amy and Frank didn't have their percentage determined and then decided to meet. Like on most dating sites or even Tinder its an area/city then you maybe chat or whatever and then you meet somewhere. They were both at the bar when the computer ran its simulations and gave them their number. It wasn't even city wide matches, it was just people in the bar apparently. It finds your perfect mate who will always be within 10ft of you when you run the app?

You got the impression that the app's actual purpose = what the app told the Sims its purpose was? (Find your 99.8% match from All The People In The World). I thought it was just a system that let you check your compatibility on the fly with anybody. She checked Frank out, and the simulation barfed out 1,000 encounters and it just so happened that this random fella was a 99.8% match. I bet if she'd checked Goofus in the corner, the simulation Coach would've told the sims "We're here to find your 42% match!" or however it manifests itself differently each time.

I got a kick out of the fact that Frank and Amy are punk rockers at a dive bar, but their compatibility is based on how they'd get along in Pleasantville

Also a general thought - It's a good sign of a show's quality when nobody agrees why it's Terrible Now. I'm seeing people's favorite episode get panned for being the series' low watermark

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
I'd like to see an episode dealing with Alzheimer's/dementia, where tech is used to slow/reverse the process of losing one's self. Memory is a fascinating thing and I wonder for example what would happen if a person in the early stages of dementia spent hours each day watching a movie of their life. Or maybe when a friend is coming to visit, they could replay experiences pulled from social media vids/pics etc to refresh the memory of the relationship, which is something we do naturally when our memory is intact.

Maybe a Black Mirror angle could be that companies offer a service where they take your memory data and tweak it to provide "peace of mind," like maybe a loved one with power of attorney could order revised memories so you die not as a bitter old man who wasted his life posting on internet forums but as someone who was a pillar of the community or whatever.

ClumsyThief
Sep 11, 2001

socketwrencher posted:

so you die not as a bitter old man who wasted his life posting on Internet forums

Thanks, this comment gave me the dark and sinking feeling that this season of Black Mirror didn't.

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012

socketwrencher posted:

I'd like to see an episode dealing with Alzheimer's/dementia, where tech is used to slow/reverse the process of losing one's self. Memory is a fascinating thing and I wonder for example what would happen if a person in the early stages of dementia spent hours each day watching a movie of their life. Or maybe when a friend is coming to visit, they could replay experiences pulled from social media vids/pics etc to refresh the memory of the relationship, which is something we do naturally when our memory is intact.

Maybe a Black Mirror angle could be that companies offer a service where they take your memory data and tweak it to provide "peace of mind," like maybe a loved one with power of attorney could order revised memories so you die not as a bitter old man who wasted his life posting on internet forums but as someone who was a pillar of the community or whatever.

What if parts of your failing brain were replaced with synthetic parts until eventually all that is left is a synthetic brain?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

EDIT: ^^^ What's the philosophy behind that? It's about a boat, isn't it? Where you gradually replace parts until the entire boat is changed... except it happened so gradually that everyone considers it the same boat as it originally was. Sort of like how we regenerate (almost) all of our cells over a period of 10 years. (EDIT 2: Found it. The Ship of Theseus -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus )

socketwrencher posted:

I would watch the hell out of this episode. Hey Charlie! I hope you're reading this, or have already thought this one up.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This is why Dystopian sci-fi has gone out of fashion. It's getting harder to think of things people could do that would be worse than what we're already doing.

https://twitter.com/GreatDismal/status/942146143286210560

William Gibson, creator of Cyberpunk literature.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Power_of_the_glory posted:

What if parts of your failing brain were replaced with synthetic parts until eventually all that is left is a synthetic brain?

This is an interesting idea but it would be hindered by being in Black Mirror since Black Mirror already answered the question "Is a copy of a person a real person?" with a yes.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

socketwrencher posted:

Have you ever heard of/played the game To the Moon? Its whole framing device is that you're playing as people who provide this service. Although it's a lot more positive than a Black Mirror episode about it would likely be.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Griefor posted:

This is an interesting idea but it would be hindered by being in Black Mirror since Black Mirror already answered the question "Is a copy of a person a real person?" with a yes.

I don't think that's necessarily the same idea, though it IS close. If we assume that every single body part and organ of a human can be replaced, where does one draw the line between 'same person, new parts' and 'entirely new person'? How many parts do you replace before you're considered a new person, if you are considered that at all? And if someone took the old parts and built a person out of all of them, is that you too?

:psyduck:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't think that's necessarily the same idea, though it IS close. If we assume that every single body part and organ of a human can be replaced, where does one draw the line between 'same person, new parts' and 'entirely new person'? How many parts do you replace before you're considered a new person, if you are considered that at all? And if someone took the old parts and built a person out of all of them, is that you too?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zenithe posted:

haha god drat, i love Uncle Bill

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I edited my post a few up to include this. Great thought experiment.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zenithe posted:

yeah i was going to comment earlier that trump in particular and the gop in general have completely obliterated the concept of political satire.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Was Real Walton actually sleazy? The part where he's established as a Mean Guy are early in the episode when we're still supposed to think Daly is a decent guy.

I'm pretty sure Lowry talks to Nanette about how Daly is unsettling and that Walton is a womanizer but he's still a pretty good guy.

quote:

Also a general thought - It's a good sign of a show's quality when nobody agrees why it's Terrible Now. I'm seeing people's favorite episode get panned for being the series' low watermark

I mean, Nosedive is my favorite episode but it seems like that's generally rated below even Playtest.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Don't most of the molecules/atoms in your body continually get replaced anyway? You shed matter from your body and rebuild it from what you eat and drink. Although your brain may be an area where this happens less?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Blackchamber posted:

If that's true then Hang the DJ is actually horrifying. Every time that app's ran a thousand consciousnesses per person in the room live and die. And we're not talking in a flash, we're talking years of living.

I like to think that the app is just a global database and that they just met in the bar after matching on the app, not that the app runs all these instances every time its near someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

ClumsyThief posted:

Thanks, this comment gave me the dark and sinking feeling that this season of Black Mirror didn't.

LOL

Power_of_the_glory posted:

Right, and then what if the synthetic parts contained faster processors and more RAM making you smarter and quicker on your feet? Are you still you? I think it's going to get very interesting when we have the ability to access the internet, databases etc without any visible devices or augmentation so nobody knows who really knows what. Oxford scholar? Nah, I just had the new SmartyPants chip implanted.

EDIT: ^^^ What's the philosophy behind that? It's about a boat, isn't it? Where you gradually replace parts until the entire boat is changed... except it happened so gradually that everyone considers it the same boat as it originally was. Sort of like how we regenerate (almost) all of our cells over a period of 10 years. (EDIT 2: Found it. The Ship of Theseus -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus )

I'd say it's not the original boat anymore, it's a renovation of the original.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Have you ever heard of/played the game To the Moon? Its whole framing device is that you're playing as people who provide this service. Although it's a lot more positive than a Black Mirror episode about it would likely be.

Don't know it but I like the concept. We all lie to ourselves so maybe the next step is actually customizing our memories to accommodate the delusion.