Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Poil posted:

In the grim darkness of the far future there will be an update.

And how much do you think you'll be able to play before the first hotfix anyway? :v:

I think 2.0 will be cluster and it will take until 2.1 or 2.2 to really get the new systems to gel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Xae posted:

I think 2.0 will be cluster and it will take until 2.1 or 2.2 to really get the new systems to gel.

It's going to be amazing. People already upset about the big changes will be raging hard about the various show-stopping bugs and issues that take a couple updates to fix. But the rage will be real, and hilarious.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The real question is whether we'll get game stopping bugs, or hilarious poo poo like 'misplaced decimal point makes planetary invasion 100x times more destructive to populace than intended' and 'due to slider error Prethoryn attacked me in 2206'.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

It's going to be amazing. People already upset about the big changes will be raging hard about the various show-stopping bugs and issues that take a couple updates to fix. But the rage will be real, and hilarious.
My ships are powered by tears.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

PittTheElder posted:

The real question is whether we'll get game stopping bugs, or hilarious poo poo like 'misplaced decimal point makes planetary invasion 100x times more destructive to populace than intended' and 'due to slider error Prethoryn attacked me in 2206'.

Little of both probably.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

Baronjutter posted:

You'll probably be in for a treat if shadowlyger, or whatever his name is, pops back into the thread.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

MilkmanLuke posted:

You'll probably be in for a treat if shadowlyger, or whatever his name is, pops back into the thread.

SUP BITCH

EDIT: I generally don't sperg out about bugs. I sperg out about bad design decisions.

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 5, 2018

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The amount of people angry over the patch breaking things will probably strongly correlate to the number of people who don't realize that you can set Steam to load specific versions of the game.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

PittTheElder posted:

I'm really hoping for a great deal from Column A and a great deal from Column B. :black101:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/949063644624637952

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This is good, war success should be a gradient based on how much you're willing to go all-in and have diminishing returns, rather than the totally binary system we have now where the only thing standing between 0% and 100% warscore is how bored you get invading planets over and over.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Shadowlyger posted:

SUP BITCH

EDIT: I generally don't sperg out about bugs. I sperg out about bad design decisions.

Hyperlanes are objectively the Best. All the other options should be paid DLC. Have a "lovely ways to Navigate" DLC.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Or, as I've been saying, he could just not use a free update and stick with the current build.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The cult of hyperlane is loving weird.

I mean, I'll just hit random, so whatever, but if I WERE picking my favorite, it'd be Wormholes by a country mile. The entire galaxy is just wide open.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Veryslightlymad posted:

I mean, I'll just hit random, so whatever, but if I WERE picking my favorite, it'd be Wormholes by a country mile. The entire galaxy is just wide open.

Wiz please include a 1% chance for a civ to spawn with warp or wormholes and get incredibly confused about everyone else's "Cult of Hyperlane"

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
wiz has said there's some sort of preexisting 'natural' wormhole network in the galaxy that you have to research to unlock; it'd be neat if one of the ubercivics* had you start with one in your home system with limited access but since your species had that crutch their starting hyperdrive is like level -1

*i.e. fanatical purifier, inward perfection, etc

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Wiz, give us psychic hiveminds.

Thank you.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

hyperlanes own, as do giant tricked out space fortresses designed to defend them long live the iserlohn republic

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I just read the dev diary, and am just thoroughly disappointed. Hyperlanes feel like something that should have died out about 10 years ago.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

much like your account

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Veryslightlymad posted:

I just read the dev diary, and am just thoroughly disappointed. Hyperlanes feel like something that should have died out about 10 years ago.

It's all very well posting from 2410 when everyone is developing psi jump drives and stuff but back here in the 21st we've got to work with what we've got.

(Also this is gonna own for actual gameplay purposes and I say that as someone who likes the other two drives fine and used to oppose switching to just one)

NextSundayA.D.
May 13, 2009

Veryslightlymad posted:

What happen to "I mean, I'll just hit random, so whatever"?

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

NextSundayA.D. posted:

He probably read the thing that said that 2.0 is hyperlanes only between then and now.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

Wormholes are cooler for sure. Those are my favorite as well.

But the thing about the Cult of Hyperlanes is that it's not about the hyperlanes. Hyperlanes are kind of boring as a concept. It's all about the galactic terrain. Terrain and chokepoints and fortress systems are awesome.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

imweasel09 posted:

He probably read the thing that said that 2.0 is hyperlanes only between then and now.

It's not really hyperlanes only :shrug:

NextSundayA.D.
May 13, 2009

imweasel09 posted:

10 years ago?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Eiba posted:

It's all about the galactic terrain. Terrain and chokepoints and fortress systems are awesome.

This, I want my strategy games to have some terrain.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Warp and wormholes aren’t going away completely. I hope eventually there will be map options for isolated areas to add some more variety.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Veryslightlymad posted:

I can understand preferring non-hyperlanes for arbitrary immersion reasons or what have you, but it's pretty hard to deny the analytical reasoning behind the change imo :shrug:

For warfare to have any kind of depth, more structure was needed. They have a design goal, and hyperlanes only with limited bypass options meets the needs of that design goal.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 5, 2018

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Warp and wormholes aren’t going away completely. I hope eventually there will be map options for isolated areas to add some more variety.
We already know how wormholes are going to work now. There's natural ones that just link two points, and there's endgame-level gates you can build that connect to a galactic network that let you travel to any other gate.

Warp is gone, but a form of jump drives are still around where you get to jump past systems, but there's a cooldown so you might get trapped if you don't plan what you're doing well.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

NextSundayA.D. posted:

Same choice every time isn't random. :shrug: , and hearing what's probably my favorite wasn't even considered because it's somehow not intuitive* and they went with probably my least favorite and the most constraining, because it's the most constraining is strikes me as weird.
*(????????? I've actually wondered about this for some time. Wormholes are labled as the "advanced" option, and the dev log suggests that there's something inherently harder to understand about them and I have no idea why they're under this impression)

Border changes also feel like something I'm instantly turned off on, for all that they needed to be made more obvious, and the point of "You can claim systems you can't reach!" is a major flaw in the current design.

My big issue is that taking both these things together reads like the game is becoming a lot more mechanical and samey, whereas the current system, for all its flaws, feels extremely fluid and organic. I'm a big fan of the current game, so I worry about things that make it sound like it's moving in the direction of other games I like significantly less.

That said, patch isn't out yet. Might just be something that I hate the way it sounds on paper and love the way it works in practice. If I didn't have some degree of trust in Paradox's design decisions, the amount of money I've thrown at them would be considered a serious gambling problem.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Back when the major changes for 2.0 were announced I just switched to playing hyperlane only to get used to it - regardless of how you feel it's happening so may as just roll with it.

I'm sure they could've worked out a way to make all 3 drive types work, or even just nix one and keep 2 others to make it more manageable while still giving people a choice but if you're going to rebuild things from the ground up why not just wipe the slate clean? When it comes to interdiction tech though I always did kinda like the retcon in Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak where the malfunctioning hyperspace core was randomly grabbing ships out of transit and phasing them into the planet. Switching the subspace snare from system only to a certain radius around a star would still work to build choke points but the randomness of the star positions in each game could still make it's functionality questionable.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Veryslightlymad posted:

*(????????? I've actually wondered about this for some time. Wormholes are labled as the "advanced" option, and the dev log suggests that there's something inherently harder to understand about them and I have no idea why they're under this impression)

It's the micro. Warp can go anywhere, it's just a little slow; the easiest to understand. Hyperdrives mean you have to follow the lines but that's it; second easiest. Wormholes mean you have to constantly build new wormhole stations and monitor them; advanced (also annoying).

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Warp was really the only one that got in the way, though. Having one of the drive systems be "You know, you can go wherever", is what makes it more complicated to design defense around. A game where everyone is either Hyperlanes or Wormholes (or both) feels pretty balanced. Hyperlanes are dealt with by chokepoints, etc and being defensive. Wormholes are dealt with by blowing up the wormhole generator and being offensive. No need to get into the Interdiction bubbles/whatever for Warp. It seems like a simpler solution would be to just turn off the "Go anywhere" button, and then you're left with a choice.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Veryslightlymad posted:

It seems like a simpler solution would be to just turn off the "Go anywhere" button, and then you're left with a choice.

I appreciate the immediate pivot from "I don't understand the classification" to "I disagree with the classification", but were you here for the authoritarian - egalitarian wars of 2015-2016?

NextSundayA.D.
May 13, 2009

Veryslightlymad posted:

Same choice every time isn't random.

The random part was not I did not like it was the whatever part and cult part.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Unless you want random literal walls you cannot wormhole/warp over, we get hyperlanes just for the terrain it creates.

Otherwise you could just jump straight into their homeworld, ignoring all the space-forts that are now a thing

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Bholder posted:

Unless you want random literal walls you cannot wormhole/warp over, we get hyperlanes just for the terrain it creates.

Otherwise you could just jump straight into their homeworld, ignoring all the space-forts that are now a thing

This is the best part. gently caress your "front line", this is space.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

ulmont posted:

I appreciate the immediate pivot from "I don't understand the classification" to "I disagree with the classification", but were you here for the authoritarian - egalitarian wars of 2015-2016?

Ok, in the interest of ideological consistency, I should explain:
The views I've expressed aren't contradictory. The following things are all true, and maybe having the chronology summed up will make my position make more sense:

1)I came into the thread from skimming instead of following in depth, so I saw a lot of hyperlane.... hype.
2)At this point, I hadn't bothered to read the dev diaries, so I wanted to represent my favorite the wormhole (poor wormholes), but, as I like the game as it currently is, I said I tend to just play on random to not get bored. I thought, at this time, that it was just a silly "I like this tech better" argument.
3)I realized I was missing something, so I read the dev diaries. (GOOD CALL IMWEASEL)
4)The dev diaries made me a little nervous because, for all that I like playing on random, I definitely enjoy wormhole games the most and hyperlane games the least.
5)I read this post

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Back when the major changes for 2.0 were announced I just switched to playing hyperlane only to get used to it - regardless of how you feel it's happening so may as just roll with it.

I'm sure they could've worked out a way to make all 3 drive types work, or even just nix one and keep 2 others to make it more manageable while still giving people a choice but if you're going to rebuild things from the ground up why not just wipe the slate clean? When it comes to interdiction tech though I always did kinda like the retcon in Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak where the malfunctioning hyperspace core was randomly grabbing ships out of transit and phasing them into the planet. Switching the subspace snare from system only to a certain radius around a star would still work to build choke points but the randomness of the star positions in each game could still make it's functionality questionable.

Which is what I was responding to when I got into commenting about the Dev decision/reasoning. I understand the dev's position that balancing all three systems together is difficult, but I disagree with their conclusion, and feel like a more elegant solution is to just take away Warp instead of rebuilding Hyperlanes, taking away warp, and then significantly altering Wormholes. For all that I personally prefer Warp to Hyperlanes, if you take the developer's point of something needing to change to make the game more tactical, Warp is the mechanic that really causes the issues that were brought up in the dev diaries. (Needing three interdiction systems, and the "bubbles" they proposed for Warp, while needing a third solution for Wormholes), It feels like having Hyperlanes and Wormholes is a bit more balanced and fluid than just having Hyperlanes. Wormholes don't need an interdiction system, the interdiction system is blowing up the generator. It's an offensive approach vs a defensive approach. I don't know this is the case since 2.0 isn't out yet, and for all I know it's a fantastic change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Also, since it's worth mentioning:

I really like the idea of the new "fourth" option that was mentioned, Mass Effect Relays "Gates", and it's entirely possible that their inclusion renders a lot of my worries as pretty moot.

• Locked thread