Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Fair Hallion posted:

have you noticed the nut. Is there even a nut? There's *something* there.

The top of the fingerboard is the 0 fret. There is the gap that used to have a nut on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Fair Hallion posted:

have you noticed the nut. Is there even a nut? There's *something* there.

Yeah that was bugging me too

Like it's not a proper nut but maybe someone did some weird terrible cutting to the old one that was slotted for bass strings?

WHAT IS THIS MONSTER

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Did they try to make a Bass VI out of it?

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Did they try to make a Bass VI out of it?

Looks like it. And perhaps the second lowest string didn't fit through the guitar tuner so they had to improvise.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I purposely ruined my friend's DS-1 by doing the "Gated Synth-Fuzz w/ Auto-Swell" mod to it. I think it is a major improvement.

https://vimeo.com/249222747

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Periodic reminder that seymour duncan zephyrs exist

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shugojin posted:

Periodic reminder that seymour duncan zephyrs exist
Addendum / Anecdote: A friend paid close to 600 bucks for a Bare Knuckle humbucker set, at which point I reminded him that he got the guitar for 100 bucks shy of that and he proceeded to give me the silent treatment for like a week after that.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Wark Say posted:

Addendum / Anecdote: A friend paid close to 600 bucks for a Bare Knuckle humbucker set, at which point I reminded him that he got the guitar for 100 bucks shy of that and he proceeded to give me the silent treatment for like a week after that.

Which one and when? I know that brexit dicked over the pound right before I bought my sinners but they were only 200 some i think

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Ragnarok. Is that the one Misha uses? My friend loves Periphery to an unhealthy degree. It was around Black Friday last year, if I don't completely misremember.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Looking at their website he is listed on Juggernaut and Ragnarok. Also they start at roughly 50 pounds more than Sinners for the set and there's probably a bunch more options you could get that cost more like fancy covers and whatnot so I dunno.

I just got black strat covers when I got sinners tbh and it is fine and acceptable

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I purposely ruined my friend's DS-1 by doing the "Gated Synth-Fuzz w/ Auto-Swell" mod to it. I think it is a major improvement.

https://vimeo.com/249222747

This sounds kind of close to this modded DS-1 I got as part of a craigslist deal. At the all-dimed settings you showed, it’s a whistling feedback machine unless the strings are totally muted, and at lower settings, it’s got that gated fuzz thing. Is his a known/common mod? I always wondered what was done to that thing.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I need some non stupid advise!

I am moving to the other side of the country into an apartment soon, while also selling 95% of my gear. I am cutting down to just 1 electric and an acoustic. I need some kind of decent amp that works with headphones. Are there any that don't suck? Should I just get some modeler amp kinda thing?

Pricepoint is whatever. I just want something that sounds semi-decent.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Malaria posted:

I need some non stupid advise!

I am moving to the other side of the country into an apartment soon, while also selling 95% of my gear. I am cutting down to just 1 electric and an acoustic. I need some kind of decent amp that works with headphones. Are there any that don't suck? Should I just get some modeler amp kinda thing?

Pricepoint is whatever. I just want something that sounds semi-decent.

Yamaha THR

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Shugojin posted:

Yamaha THR

Ok this thing looks/sounds cool. Anyone have the High Gain model?

Anyone got headphone recommendations?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Leck posted:

This sounds kind of close to this modded DS-1 I got as part of a craigslist deal. At the all-dimed settings you showed, it’s a whistling feedback machine unless the strings are totally muted, and at lower settings, it’s got that gated fuzz thing. Is his a known/common mod? I always wondered what was done to that thing.

If you take the back off you'll probably see it's just a one-wire mod (there are a couple mods like this but they only require a single soldered wire). This is taken from Brian Wampler's How to Modify Effects Pedals book:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hi, THR10x user here. At home I have 2 Mesa Boogie Amps:
  • A Recto-Verb 25 Head running into an Orange 2x12 Open Back Cabinet and...
  • An Express 5:25 Plus Combo.
More often than not, though? I'm using the THR10x for Home Practice. For late night practice I have two Headphone sets but I mostly use the Shure SRH840. They're relatively "inexpensive" and sound rad. And... well, it's a really swell amp. And most stores will sell you the bundle that includes Cubase, so that you can record your ideas super easy and straight from the amp.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The Leck posted:

JHS does a DS-1 mod that has a few different levels of hosed-up to it and all available to be switched in/out: https://www.jhspedals.com/products/discontinued-rare/boss-ds-1-synth-drive/

Apparently they have another model out now since we got ours that has yet another switch. I honestly don't know how much more gain they can add to the frickin thing after the original version of the mod. It already self-oscillates.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Malaria posted:

Anyone got headphone recommendations?

I only have the basic THR5 and it's as easy to get a good sound through my headphones as anything, it's got 5 presets available and a dumb number of models you can put to them with the software. Mine has a clean, two vaguely pushed tube sounds, a cranked marshall sound and a cranked mesa type sound and they're all nice.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

If you take the back off you'll probably see it's just a one-wire mod (there are a couple mods like this but they only require a single soldered wire). This is taken from Brian Wampler's How to Modify Effects Pedals book:

It is indeed a one-wire mod, though it kind of looks like there was another attempt or two that was undone before they settled on this one. I can't say it's a very useful pedal, but it's uh... something.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Malaria posted:

I do. It rules. Unless you’re an absolutely max level tone snob you’ll be amazed at how it sounds and feels.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

OK you guys talked me into it.

I am gonna order one of these off Reverb. Leaning towards the high gain one because I am a metal nerd at heart, but I will probably buy whatever is the better deal.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Just so you know the high gain X has a beautiful clean tone as well. The included delay/reverb plus the clean is something I can jam on for hours. It’s so good.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
I tooled around with a THR in a store for a while and wasn't that impressed, although I don't think I was playing the high gain model. If you're just using headphones you could look at Positive Grid Bias if you've got an ios phone/tablet to run it, or an interface/DAW.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

My friend replaced the High channel on a Peavey Studio 60 with a Boss HM-2 he built (the Low channel is now the previous High channel). Behold:

The green board is the HM-2:

The demo:

https://vimeo.com/249699565

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

My friend replaced the High channel on a Peavey Studio 60 with a Boss HM-2 he built (the Low channel is now the previous High channel). Behold:

The demo:

This is stupid alright. Stupidly loving rad! :black101:

Didn't we use to have an amp thread? Or did that get archived?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The demo:

That rules

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I don't browse guitars too often but I saw this at GC and had to snap a picture because I didn't know what the gently caress I was looking at.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

MrSargent posted:

I don't browse guitars too often but I saw this at GC and had to snap a picture because I didn't know what the gently caress I was looking at.

All I can see here is "regretful alien"

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MrSargent posted:

I love it.

I play a Steinberger so I kinda have to.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
It's a traveler guitar. They're designed to take up as little space as possible.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The demo:

HEH. Just saw him post this on facebook, sounds fuckin rad

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

It's a traveler guitar. They're designed to take up as little space as possible.

Maybe I’m missing something but it seems like the only space you are saving is from the headstock, which seems like a small savings for looking like a weirdo.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It’s probably short scale and definitely has a very small and lightweight body.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Travelers are full scale. The selling point is "full scale guitar you can put in the overhead compartment of an airplane." Some of them are pretty weird, like they make a Strat where the body has been cut down to fit entirely under the pickguard (it's probably been posted in this very thread.)

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

How do they sound? Only "small" guitar I've ever played was one of those mini Martin's that have necks made of some crazy plywood type poo poo... The one I played actually sounded/played great though.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

It's definitely an oddball since it's an "acoustic" but needs to be plugged in but it sounds nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLznvop8mm4

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

When I was a TA in my guitar professor's class, this older lady was taking the Intro to Guitar Class with her daughter and they had the most bizarre guitars, they had a hinge on where the neck and the body met, so the neck would fold on top of the body. The strings went completely slack and they would just shove them into the sound hole. They had custom cases with them and they packed up nicely. I have no clue what they were or who made them.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

s.i.r.e. posted:

When I was a TA in my guitar professor's class, this older lady was taking the Intro to Guitar Class with her daughter and they had the most bizarre guitars, they had a hinge on where the neck and the body met, so the neck would fold on top of the body. The strings went completely slack and they would just shove them into the sound hole. They had custom cases with them and they packed up nicely. I have no clue what they were or who made them.

Voyage-Air perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

This?

EDIT: JINX!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OvfGGTlypQ