Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

gaj70 posted:

They might be an extra benefit.
Then how could Alabama give out championship rings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
So I talked to 2 guys at my work today (both S-E-C! S-E-C!-types, one Bama, one UGA) who are both MAD. AS. gently caress. about UCF tarnishing the national championship with their tomfoolery. I mean, like, slobbering mad. I devil's advocated both of them into a white-hot rage today, it was great. They tried to mock me about the Browns (dunno why them and not the Noles) but I just looked wise and said, "The Browns actually won the reverse Super Bowl and made history, doing what only one other team in history has done before."

Also thread, I'm publicly announcing (as I did to my buds today with a poo poo-eating grin) that while I don't actually give a flying gently caress about anyone but Florida State, let the word go forth that Jonathon Spectre is officially adopting the national champion UCF Knights as my second team. National champs, bitches, let's do this. Anyone else who just claims a national championship after their bowl game next year can be my second team too.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So where can I buy UCF National Championship gear?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

PostNouveau posted:

So where can I buy UCF National Championship gear?

It looks like their marketing might have its wires crossed but here is a shirt

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

It looks like their marketing might have its wires crossed but here is a shirt

Sweet. If only I knew Bama/Georgia fans I could wear it around. Will it piss off LSU fans, you think?

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Then how could Alabama give out championship rings?

I suspect the NCAA made a special exception for official championship rings. UCF's rings wouldn't be official per the NCAA.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
"Kiss the rings bitch"

-a 2017 UCF football player, probably

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

gaj70 posted:

I suspect the NCAA made a special exception for official championship rings. UCF's rings wouldn't be official per the NCAA.
I looked it up, you're correct.

The bylaw

HOWEVER, I suspect they're going to try their damndest, and if it doesn't work, they'll make the conference championship rings say national champions.

EDIT: Kiss the rings

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 5, 2018

SmellsLikeToast
Dec 30, 2005

A GREATER MAN THAN I DESERVE
lol that anybody gives a poo poo. Let em claim whatever they want.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
anecdote note: my bama alum wife thinks UCF is the true champ and it's awesome that they're doing this

then again bama fans have so many titles they can't tell them apart anymore

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

PostNouveau posted:

Sweet. If only I knew Bama/Georgia fans I could wear it around. Will it piss off LSU fans, you think?

Anything that makes Bama fans mad will make any sane LSU fan happy. Like me. I’d totally rock a UCF natty champs shirt.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They need to pull the ultimate petty athletic department move and erect billboards celebrating the championship outside Athens or Tuscaloosa.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I’m gonna buy it and wear it next time I’m home. Doubly so if UGA wins. I know a few guys that would lose their poo poo over it

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

lmao

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

This would happen the one year where UGA actually exceeded expectations instead of stepping on its own dick

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

KKKLIP ART posted:

This would happen the one year where UGA actually exceeded expectations instead of stepping on its own dick

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/georgia/1980.html

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

MourningView posted:

They need to pull the ultimate petty athletic department move and erect billboards celebrating the championship outside Athens or Tuscaloosa.

And erect them in the towns where the playoff committee members live.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

MourningView posted:

If I ever get rich I'm devoting a large chunk of my fortune to poo poo like this.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-much-is-your-college-football-team-worth-1506000030?mod=e2fb

Ohio State, Texas, and Oklahoma all valued at over $1.5 billion.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

clayton thorson tore his ACL in the bowl game on a dumb wide receiver to qb pass, no other 2018 northwestern qb has thrown a pass, in college football

northwestern might start trent green's son, i want to see a Hat Game between TJ Green and Jeff George Jr.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 5, 2018

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

PostNouveau posted:

If you wear it, Bama fans will come. They’re omnipresent

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Noctone posted:

If I ever get rich I'm devoting a large chunk of my fortune to poo poo like this.

ISU's AD put up a Cyclone State billboard near Iowa City one year and I respected both the pettiness and the fact that Iowa won the next three games in the series by a combined scored of 87-15.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

this is an incredible spite move and i respect it infinitely

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
In addition to a meteor falling on the stadium, I'm rooting for some senior who's all out of fucks to give to kneel for the national anthem and stare at the press box the whole time.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Incoherence posted:

In addition to a meteor falling on the stadium, I'm rooting for some senior who's all out of fucks to give to kneel for the national anthem and stare at the press box the whole time.

God I hope so

I haven't heard much about college players kneeling during the anthem, has it just gone largely unreported or are they not kneeling because coaches have wider latitude to punish them for it unlike in the NFL?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Students can get kicked off the program for pretty much anything. They probably don't want to risk it

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Pakled posted:

God I hope so

I haven't heard much about college players kneeling during the anthem, has it just gone largely unreported or are they not kneeling because coaches have wider latitude to punish them for it unlike in the NFL?

Some of it is this, but also a lot of schools do the anthem before the players are even on the field. That's how it used to he in the NFL too, before 9/11 happened and football became a giant commercial for the military

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Pakled posted:

God I hope so

Are the players out on the field for the anthem in college to begin with? Is the NFL doing it new in doing it too or have they always done it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfMcznBhnSo&t=365s
The whole interview is good but that part in particular

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

"Chicago's Big Time college football team" :perfect:

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Most schools have the marching band do the anthem and then have the team come out afterwards.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

wa27 posted:

"Chicago's Big Time college football team" :perfect:

For anyone who doesn’t know, Northwestern has billboards all over Chicago that say “Chicago’s Big10 football team”

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I'm sure it'll be done in a similar fashion for this but if it wasn't and someone kneeled it would be such a wonderful blowup because you know the school would gently caress up and first and boot the kid off the team then the holy hell they'd unleash in backlash and protests would have them crumbling to stop which would in turn piss off their old, white, racist boosters who would stop donating for awhile which would in turn get some dumb coach to say something truly stupid and racist which would in turn get him fired and hey we can still keep the carousel spinning hell yea someone please kneel.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

players kneeled in 2016, here's what happened at nebraska
https://www.sbnation.com/2016/9/27/13072136/college-football-nebraska-huskers-michael-rose-ivey-protest-racism-backlash

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

This sport skews hard right on the collegiate level for fans, this is sadly unsurprising and that's for a Midwest school. If either UGA or Bama did it they'd probably receive death threats by the dozens.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Lmao at the baby back bitches throwing shade at UCF in the comments on that one

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

poo poo like this is so loving awful. I wish those kids would have named every single “fan” that said that poo poo to them, with pictures of the posts. People like that deserve to be exposed for being such piles of poo poo.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Fortunately, Riley and then-Chancellor Harvey Perlman defended the players' choice. Aside from the idiot fans, the only outrage I recall was from Hal Daub, former mayor of Omaha and a regent, who made an rear end of himself every time he was interviewed about it.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

zimbomonkey posted:

Students can get kicked off the program for pretty much anything. They probably don't want to risk it
Thus my suggestion of "senior who is all out of fucks", perhaps even a redshirt senior who's already graduated so the school can't even threaten to expel them.

an adult beverage posted:

Most schools have the marching band do the anthem and then have the team come out afterwards.
Yeah, that's always how we did it when I was in the band (we did the anthem, then some other school songs, then the teams came out), but this is the National Championship Game and if there's any time that they're going to have the players on the field for it, it's going to be for this game.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Incoherence posted:

Yeah, that's always how we did it when I was in the band (we did the anthem, then some other school songs, then the teams came out), but this is the National Championship Game and if there's any time that they're going to have the players on the field for it, it's going to be for this game.

I performed in umpteen National champions in the recent past. Typical protocol is as you said. The “visitor” team’s band does a short version of their pregame, then the “home” team’s. Them both bands do a combined national anthem usually directed by some jackass with no directing ability. Then the teams come out each side while the bands play their respective songs. Of the 50 or so games I’ve done pregame in, I don’t think players have ever been on the field for any of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It varies from school to school. At Iowa the team is on the field for it and they play a clip of Nile Kinnick's Heisman speech right before.

• Locked thread