Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

“Captain we are being hailed by...Harry Potter?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

“Captain we are being hailed by...Harry Potter?”

they dead

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

orange juche posted:

:catstare:

Frame shift is closer to an Alcubierre drive than anything, you're stationary in a bubble of space and bending it around you. So, when you arrive at a destination, you should blast everything in front of you with a lethal cone of gamma rays and alpha/beta particles that have been caught up in the folded space. Basically dropping out of supercruise should sterilize whatever you're dropping out near.

So really the effect of me being in super cruise for 40 minutes is that once my ship exits it lets out a loud and lethal radiation-rich space fart.

Seems correct imho.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

coupedeville posted:

that's a pretty ship :swoon:

I got enough fed rank to get the sol permit but I don't know if I have it in me to grind out the corvette :gonk:

It is soul crushing. Easily among the most mentally unengaging things I've done in this game. A full load of 20 data delivery missions between CEOS and Sothis gave 10% progress at Lieutenant Commander rank, ~8% at Post Commander, and ~6% at Post Captain, though that was supplemented with the occasional 1% boost from a million credit donation mission. I think I was about 70 million poorer between Lieutenant Commander and Admiral, and it took me maybe 15 hours to progress the last 3 or 4 ranks.

I can't really recommend it unless you're (A) blessed with a surfeit of free time; (B) have something else to do while you're doing it -- I played Dungeon of the Endless on my other monitor; and (C) possess a particularly angry and determined degree of self-loathing. That being said... I do really like my Vette. Was it worth it? I don't know. But I'm happy now, and glad that, with my rank up and most of the relevant engineers unlocked, I don't have to do any more grind for a good long while. Though I may do just a few more Parutis <-> Medb runs just to have some cash on hand, in case the Chieftan is really cool.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Money makes money; take your hauler to the next trade CG and you should crack a couple mil - enough for a Type 6 for further trading, ~or~

There's also the 'Road to riches', which is a list of jumpable systems with Earthlike and Water worlds you can scan and then sell the explorer data for mad cash - you'll need a detailed surface scanner, an advanced discovery scanner and a 3A fuel scoop to make the most of this, and an A ranked FSD - three mil will outfit this on your hauler.

https://pastebin.com/hCf3iwe6

Starting at HIP 14976, scanning planets A7, A5 and A6, then jumping to HIP 16709 - you get the idea, do as many as you can stand, then head to a station and sell the data at the Cartographic office. Do all this in solo, if you get smeared by an rear end in a top hat in open you will hate your life.

http://edtools.ddns.net/expl.php?s=asellus+primus&d=200&n=300

use that and check mark off stuff you've done nerd.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

After using the type-10 as a hauler for passengers, I think I might need to go back to an anaconda. There’s something about the ship model of the type 10 that makes me knock it into the mail slot and get it hung up on things inside the station literally every time. Maybe it’s also just a huge hog to maneuver that doesn’t help. The Anaconda is large but I almost never banged it into anything.

This is stupid but those wires in the Anaconda cockpit always bothered me and is why I have liked the type-10.

Fat boys be fat I guess.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Blind Rasputin posted:

After using the type-10 as a hauler for passengers, I think I might need to go back to an anaconda. There’s something about the ship model of the type 10 that makes me knock it into the mail slot and get it hung up on things inside the station literally every time. Maybe it’s also just a huge hog to maneuver that doesn’t help. The Anaconda is large but I almost never banged it into anything.

This is stupid but those wires in the Anaconda cockpit always bothered me and is why I have liked the type-10.

Fat boys be fat I guess.

It's probably that sick spoiler.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blind Rasputin posted:

Fat boys be fat I guess.

The thing you need to keep in mind with the big Lakon ships is that your bridge (big ships don't have cockpits, lol) is at the bottom. I bet you are used to flying by basically scraping your conda along the top of the mailslot, but you need to do the opposite with all of the big Lakons. It took me a while to get the hang of it when I first hopped into my T7.

basically, do this.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

That is a good tip I will try. The best thing about the type 10 is that it is absolutely massive to look at in an SRV. Like, maybe one of the only ships that really gives off the correct sense of size.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

That is a good tip I will try. The best thing about the type 10 is that it is absolutely massive to look at in an SRV. Like, maybe one of the only ships that really gives off the correct sense of size.

Shoot now I want to buy one and look at it in VR.

That’s been an actual money sink for me lately - buying every ship I can to check out it’s cockpit in VR and then selling it (for a loss).

They’re so cool though. :(

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Shoot now I want to buy one and look at it in VR.

That’s been an actual money sink for me lately - buying every ship I can to check out it’s cockpit in VR and then selling it (for a loss).

They’re so cool though. :(

If you have roomspace, get a big ship set with a docking computer, fly out to the limit of docking requests and call in for permission, then get out of your chair and watch the docking from elsewhere on your bridge. I do this a lot with my Conda and only don’t with my Beluga because it’s shieldless and I want to catch any docking mishaps :o:

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I just started playing this again after buying it a year or so ago, playing for 8-10 hours, then never starting it again.

I'm having fun space trucking... what's a good upgrade from the Sidewinder? I was thinking I could save up the cash for a Cobra MkIII. Are there ways of earning some easy cash that are more appropriate for a Sidewinder?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

A no-shield hauler can haul 22T of goods nearly 17ly when fully kitted out and will set you back around 235k.

Alternately, you can use a shield at the cost of 4T of cargo space and 3k worth of credits, but can jump just over 18ly

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

the milk machine posted:

I just started playing this again after buying it a year or so ago, playing for 8-10 hours, then never starting it again.

I'm having fun space trucking... what's a good upgrade from the Sidewinder? I was thinking I could save up the cash for a Cobra MkIII. Are there ways of earning some easy cash that are more appropriate for a Sidewinder?

If you want to just truck your way to riches, this is a ship progression you could use, with cargo capacity in brackets:

Sidewinder (10 tons)
Eagle (14 tons)
Hauler (20 tons)
Adder (24 tons)
Cobra Mk3 (44 tons)
Type 6 (104 tons)
Asp Explorer (120 tons)
Type 7 (216 tons)
Python (284 tons)
Type 9 (500 tons)
Imperial Cutter (728 tons)

Feel free to skip over ships if you have the money, just remember you'll need money for rebuys and to outfit the ship. Data was from here.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Gort posted:

If you want to just truck your way to riches, this is a ship progression you could use, with cargo capacity in brackets:

Sidewinder (10 tons)
Eagle (14 tons)
Hauler (20 tons)
Adder (24 tons)
Cobra Mk3 (44 tons)
Type 6 (104 tons)
Asp Explorer (120 tons)
Type 7 (216 tons)
Python (284 tons)
Type 9 (500 tons)
Imperial Cutter (728 tons)

Feel free to skip over ships if you have the money, just remember you'll need money for rebuys and to outfit the ship. Data was from here.

This is good stuff.

I guess I was thinking about the Cobra because it seems a bit more multi-purpose? I like trucking around but would also like to be able to shoot people here and there. I was just thinking the Sidewinder seems pretty limited initially; maybe I should kit it out more and use that to earn cash doing bounty hunting?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
It should be noted that the type 10 has the exact same internals as the type 9 with a higher class hyperdrive so its a good hauler with a better jump radius.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

the milk machine posted:

I guess I was thinking about the Cobra because it seems a bit more multi-purpose? I like trucking around but would also like to be able to shoot people here and there. I was just thinking the Sidewinder seems pretty limited initially; maybe I should kit it out more and use that to earn cash doing bounty hunting?

The Cobra is an excellent "do everything" ship, and will work quite well as a people shooter. It's also fast as poo poo, so if the people shoot back too much, you can often just boost away at top speed and outrun them.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Goredema posted:

The Cobra is an excellent "do everything" ship, and will work quite well as a people shooter. It's also fast as poo poo, so if the people shoot back too much, you can often just boost away at top speed and outrun them.

It's also best to trade up rather than save straight for a Cobra because your money making potential rises with ship upgrades, and only lose a very little money for exchanging your ship in. Get an adder or hauler and leverage yourself up to a Cobra.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

NoneMoreNegative posted:

If you have roomspace, get a big ship set with a docking computer, fly out to the limit of docking requests and call in for permission, then get out of your chair and watch the docking from elsewhere on your bridge. I do this a lot with my Conda and only don’t with my Beluga because it’s shieldless and I want to catch any docking mishaps :o:

God drat this sounds so rad. I hate Xbox for not having VR.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

the milk machine posted:

This is good stuff.

Yeah, when I started this game I did bounty hunting in a RES in a sidewinder until I could get a cobra. Then used that to get an ASP explorer. Once I had that, the game was open and soon I had a vulture and sooner yet a python. There’s an easy trick for RES sites. Go to a highRES site in a metallic ring with abundant resources (you can use eddb.io to find a ringed planet close to you), make sure there is nothing in your cargo so enemies won’t automatically shoot you, and just wait for the cops to shoot the wanted targets first. Once the cops have whittled the target down to like 30% health then start firing. You’ll get the bounty, but you won’t attract Aggro until it’s too late for the enemies to hurt you. It’s basically fun, effortless, and ultra safe money making. Just a) make sure you always scan the target so your hud says “wanted” before firing or you will die. B) if it doesn’t seem like there are many cops, sometimes you need to pot shot a big enemy so they shoot at you and then run away while the cops jump in. If that doesn’t work log off and back in to change the RES instance. The ideal HighRES site is full of wanted FDL, anaconda, and pythons but also full to the gills of cops in the same ships. You’ll be rolling in bounty money.

Once you have a cobra or asp you can then do passenger missions. These weren’t around when I started but make a lot of money, they just involve a lot of travel time.

At some point you’ll find yourself taking advantage of one of these semi exploitive systems like parutis —>medb to make huge amounts of money because this game is broken, but don’t do that too early. The challenge and personal gain from working your way up the smaller ships is so worth it.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
The only annoying thing about high RESes is when a firefight starts at 8km from where you are, but other than that bounty hunting is fun money.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
I unlocked pacifiers, flew out to Nemo and started rolling some mods, starting with Corrosive High-Cap, which was my go-to for the Vulture and here we go:

I also gave rapid-fire + screening shell a try and oh my god this is so hosed up:

The thing has a sub 1 second reload time too, so the sustained damage is nuts. Eats ammo like crazy though.

This is me now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO48mtNd4jo

Kurr de la Cruz fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 5, 2018

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Blind Rasputin posted:

God drat this sounds so rad. I hate Xbox for not having VR.

An Xbox wouldn't handle VR Elite any better than a Playstation would. Maybe an X.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Only two more medb runs and I’ll have a billion credits and elite trader rank. I think I have some federation rank ups too. It’s a hugely good deal if you aren’t doing it.

After the first day or so, the mission payouts started getting quite high. 20mil per mission sometimes. The grind hasn’t been too bad, board flipping being the worst part. Just get a ship with as much space as possible. I’ve been interdicted a few times near vela dock but meh.

How do I get a sol permit? I am going to use the poo poo out of the Jefferson memorial permit.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Thx for the tipps on Oculus Dash and Voice Attack. Both now work like a charm , though I sometimes have to repeat orders.

Concerning the combat logging drama: I'd suggest the hardcore PvPler create a private Anti-Moebius group where player on player action is allowed and everybody who clogs gets gets evicted. That way everybody gets the experience he wants . CMDR B'tak in his shieldless T6 doesn't get griefed and CMDR Killfuck Soulshitter can fight other hardcore Space-Bros who like roughhousing.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Einbauschrank posted:

Concerning the combat logging drama: I'd suggest the hardcore PvPler create a private Anti-Moebius group where player on player action is allowed and everybody who clogs gets gets evicted. That way everybody gets the experience he wants . CMDR B'tak in his shieldless T6 doesn't get griefed and CMDR Killfuck Soulshitter can fight other hardcore Space-Bros who like roughhousing.

See, the problem there is that last I checked, most of these people would rather gank shieldless T6es with a full wing of engineered fer de lances than get in something approaching a fair fight

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I suspect that they are angry RSI backers who are mad that Frontier beat their team to the punch. So, they gank newbies to try to sour their experience with Elite.

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."
I started playing a week ago and for the first few days I just wandered about trying everything. I did some road to riches, a bit of bounty hunting, and I took a space explorer 6k light years to visit a lovely brown planet and back. Then I started playing it like euro truck sim in space and farmed passenger missions until I hit 1.5 billion and elite trader rank.

So now I'm thinking of unlocking some engineers since I haven't touched them yet and some of the upgrades look very powerful. What are some good modules to upgrade? I was thinking jump range at first, to make the grind easier, and then maybe power plant capacity?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Fsd, power then thrusters.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

osirisisdead posted:

I suspect that they are angry RSI backers who are mad that Frontier beat their team to the punch. So, they gank newbies to try to sour their experience with Elite.

generally they're just toxic cunts

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Thanks for the cobra advice everyone. I've already got 360k or so so I'll probably do some more missions until I can grab a cobra with a few reasonable upgrades. I find this game really chill and fun so planning the next big purchase is sorta fun.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I finally got my Orca to it's final form. Meet Purple People Eater.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I love that name and paint.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

That owns

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Finally got back from my 10 month long exploration trip to the Formidine rift/Zurara.

I found two earth-like worlds, around 40-50 water worlds with maybe a dozen of them terraformable, plus a dozen or so ammonia worlds, and dozens of terraformable metallics/rocky worlds. Also jumped from around 40% ranger rank in exploration all the way to elite, and made about 300 million credits, and made it back just in time to make several million from the bounty hunting and search and rescue CGs in the California Nebula, which just happened to be at my target station. :coolfish:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Rah! posted:

Finally got back from my 10 month long exploration trip to the Formidine rift/Zurara.

I found two earth-like worlds, around 40-50 water worlds with maybe a dozen of them terraformable, plus a dozen or so ammonia worlds, and dozens of terraformable metallics/rocky worlds. Also jumped from around 40% ranger rank in exploration all the way to elite, and made about 300 million credits, and made it back just in time to make several million from the bounty hunting and search and rescue CGs in the California Nebula, which just happened to be at my target station. :coolfish:

You're the scout unit in a Civilization game that gets promoted all the way to helicopters or whatever, instead of being disbanded when there's no more room to explore.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

So really the effect of me being in super cruise for 40 minutes is that once my ship exits it lets out a loud and lethal radiation-rich space fart.

Seems correct imho.

What did you think FSD wakes were?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I just got this during the sale and it seems like it's entirely My Kind Of Thing because I love flying around in space doing random Space Stuff. But I've played through the first handful of tutorials and the combat one wrecked me three times before I finally scraped by. What am I missing there? I was basically trying to maneuver to keep the other guy in front of me enough for my gimbals to ping him, right? I'm honestly still trying to wrap my head around the best way to fly around in real 3D space based on what I see on the radar, but still - I'd blow up the first guy, his friend would show up, I'd lock on, switch weapon groups, and then promptly get shot all to hell and back. Meanwhile the tutorial voiceover lady is telling me poo poo like it's going to be so easy I should divert power away from shields into weapons, stuff like that. It's really jarring - I've got to be doing something horribly wrong.

Also, is there a PDF somewhere of a good setup for a Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X? It feels like more things could be bound (or things could be bound more efficiently) but I'm new enough to both the game and the gear that I'd rather play around with someone else's binding set up for a while. I played FPSes with the arrow keys until like 2003, I don't want to repeat that kind of nonsense.

ALSO also, is Horizons cool? It looks cool. I'd shell out $30 for something cool, but I'm worried that they're about to announce another "season pass" or something soon.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Oh, you guys at the CG we’re looking for the Gorilla Channel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

food court bailiff posted:

I just got this during the sale and it seems like it's entirely My Kind Of Thing because I love flying around in space doing random Space Stuff. But I've played through the first handful of tutorials and the combat one wrecked me three times before I finally scraped by. What am I missing there? I was basically trying to maneuver to keep the other guy in front of me enough for my gimbals to ping him, right? I'm honestly still trying to wrap my head around the best way to fly around in real 3D space based on what I see on the radar, but still - I'd blow up the first guy, his friend would show up, I'd lock on, switch weapon groups, and then promptly get shot all to hell and back. Meanwhile the tutorial voiceover lady is telling me poo poo like it's going to be so easy I should divert power away from shields into weapons, stuff like that. It's really jarring - I've got to be doing something horribly wrong.

Also, is there a PDF somewhere of a good setup for a Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X? It feels like more things could be bound (or things could be bound more efficiently) but I'm new enough to both the game and the gear that I'd rather play around with someone else's binding set up for a while. I played FPSes with the arrow keys until like 2003, I don't want to repeat that kind of nonsense.

ALSO also, is Horizons cool? It looks cool. I'd shell out $30 for something cool, but I'm worried that they're about to announce another "season pass" or something soon.

Ignore the tutorial's difficulty, it hasn't been balanced.

Here is one setup I found, I don't personally have that hotas. You can download the profile at the bottom
https://www.mcdee.net/elite/binds/zyumgm?replay=zyumgm

The next semi-expansion that is coming out will be free to Horizons owners so you are at least partially future-proofed by buying it.

• Locked thread