Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

What they really should do is make a character that consumes souls, preempting revives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

thexerox123 posted:

What they really should do is make a character that consumes souls, preempting revives.

They should just make the Ana jar block it as part of the effect

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

thexerox123 posted:

While I like the idea, I feel like that means you'd have a situation where a Mercy on one team means the anti-souls character on the other side 100% of the time. If you did that, you'd need to have multiple characters who all interacted with souls in different ways, like a character who charged themselves/their team after consuming a friendly soul, or ones who were weak but could deny the above, etc. But you'd have to have multiple different anti-soul characters and multiple different soul-users like Mercy to make it less of a binary choice. At least at first glance.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
e: nvm

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

While I like the idea, I feel like that means you'd have a situation where a Mercy on one team means the anti-souls character on the other side 100% of the time. If you did that, you'd need to have multiple characters who all interacted with souls in different ways, like a character who charged themselves/their team after consuming a friendly soul, or ones who were weak but could deny the above, etc. But you'd have to have multiple different anti-soul characters and multiple different soul-users like Mercy to make it less of a binary choice. At least at first glance.

At first, yes, but once her stats drop, would the minmaxers still feel obliged to play her?

FAUXTON posted:

They should just make the Ana jar block it as part of the effect

Also, this idea would be good for blocking both Mercy and this theoretical hero.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 5, 2018

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

thexerox123 posted:

So instead of just every match requiring a Mercy you'd have every match requiring the Mercy counter as well? Ehh

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

So instead of just every match requiring a Mercy you'd have every match requiring the Mercy counter as well? Ehh

See my above question.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

thexerox123 posted:

At first, yes, but once her stats drop, would the minmaxers still feel obliged to play her?
No, but if you had a character that was so specifically designed to be the anti-Mercy, you wouldn't have a Mercy all the time, but anti-Mercy would be picked disproportionately high if Mercy was picked on the other team. There's counters, and then there are counters that are so hard that picking Mercy would basically necessitate picking anti-Mercy. If you're going to have a "souls" mechanic, I feel like multiple characters would need to interact with it. Or, failing that, the few characters that interact with it would all need to be on the same team so you could coordinate which support character was going to utilize the souls and which wasn't.

e: Either Mercy is good enough that having her nullified is generally a top priority, which means picking the soul-eating anti-Mercy. If that's effective enough, anti-Mercy on the field means an automatic switch off of Mercy, and Mercy on the field means an automatic switch to anti-Mercy. If Mercy isn't good enough to warrant that near-automatic change, than Mercy doesn't mean an automatic anti-Mercy pick, but it definitely means that running an anti-Mercy character is going to result in a switch off Mercy. Basically, having such a direct, single character interaction negating a large portion of one and only one character's ability set means that either the pick effect is powerful enough that its near-required, or one of the characters is so weak in the absence of the other that neither gets used. You'd probably end up with every game having either Mercy and anti-Mercy, or neither. You'd rarely get one or the other, except possibly a constant anti-Mercy to prevent Mercy.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 5, 2018

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

No, but if you had a character that was so specifically designed to be the anti-Mercy, you wouldn't have a Mercy all the time, but anti-Mercy would be picked disproportionately high if Mercy was picked on the other team. There's counters, and then there are counters that are so hard that picking Mercy would basically necessitate picking anti-Mercy. If you're going to have a "souls" mechanic, I feel like multiple characters would need to interact with it. Or, failing that, the few characters that interact with it would all need to be on the same team so you could coordinate which support character was going to utilize the souls and which wasn't.

I agree, but even just the Ana jar idea would accomplish that.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

thexerox123 posted:

We had those characters: Old School Reaper and Torbjörn.

Collection of soul/scrap should prevent the guy from being ressed.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Giving a character an ability that only affects one other character is weird bad design.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Why not have resurrect be an ability you gain as you heal / damage boost? It'll reward good players and reward teams that are good at killing Mercy. Valkyrie gives her flight and the pistol buff, and the chained healing / damage boosting helps her charge up the resurrect faster.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Montalvo posted:

Why not have resurrect be an ability you gain as you heal / damage boost? It'll reward good players and reward teams that are good at killing Mercy. Valkyrie gives her flight and the pistol buff, and the chained healing / damage boosting helps her charge up the resurrect faster.

Basically two ults with two ultra meters..

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I don't know why the healing rate of Mercy's beam hasn't been touched and isn't ever on the table regarding her balance. Wouldn't it theoretically provide more tactical decisions if mercy healed slightly less?

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
I am extremely new to this game but it becomes clear within your first dozen games that mercy is unlike every other character in the game, in that you absolutely gotta have one on your team. If the other team has one and you dont, you will likely lose. Even if you have other healing. I have hundreds of hours of TF2 medic played back in the day and mercy is my most played char here, so I guess I don't hate it, but it's obvious that shes in a different place than everyone else.

Even within a match, getting a pick on the mercy feels way more impactful than any other individual kill.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Twibbit posted:

Basically two ults with two ultra meters..

Just loving delete valkyrie and make her ult a single instantaneous resurrection. Then make it charge a little faster. Boom, done.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I don't know why the healing rate of Mercy's beam hasn't been touched and isn't ever on the table regarding her balance. Wouldn't it theoretically provide more tactical decisions if mercy healed slightly less?

YES. The only person who has ever agreed with me on this.

To me, it's her healing mechanics and chain heal during ult that makes her mandatory. I don't even think the res is OP as it is now, if she just had a bit more trouble keeping people up in the first place. She has 2 people die instead of just one, then has to make the tough decision on which one to pull up. Maybe she keep power boost up a bit more.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Her healing is fine. It's the rezzes that make her a must have slam pick type character. Being able to erase a pick is such a ridiculously powerful ability. The only other healer ability that kinda sorta compares is Ana's grenade but hitting multiple people with that is a challenge to pull off.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
I really wish they’d remove res and rework her to be a fun hero who doesn’t rely on it for relevance, but i’ll take her being slam dunked into the nerf dumpster over and over again in the meantime.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

but wouldn't it be great if all healing was kind of muted and the other utility is what defined the characters? As long as mercy has that instalocking firehose that shoots through walls, she is a must-pick.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Except when she wasn't (pre-rework).

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I think Lucio and Ana were stronger back then. She was pretty much required after the Ana nerfs (the big res era).

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
It's not like she can jump in from out of nowhere, charge up an alt-fire ability for 0.5 second and then totally delete your character while you can do absolutely nothing about it. Only to get a chance to do it again a couple of seconds later to someone else.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

headcase posted:

I think Lucio and Ana were stronger back then. She was pretty much required after the Ana nerfs (the big res era).

Definitely.

Lucio used to have a massive aura of healing and speed-boost was insane, hence why he had 100% pickrate in old pro.
Ana's Ult used to speed people up, on top of having a quick ult-meter that enabled her to ult every fight.

Had these characters kept their old buffs, then Nu-Mercy would have been more in line. But they were hit with the nerf-bat while Mercy just kept getting buffed for no reason.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Also Zenyetta was way weaker then, since he like a 100 less shield HP and his ult was very slow moving. Going to be interesting to see her fall especially since Moira is now in the mix with the other three.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Yeah I think Zen is the next one that's going to stick out for whackamole. That is my hot take (Zen main). There are some team fights where solo burst 2 or 3 people's heads off , discord the tank, and then trans to seal the deal. Also, the synergy with a good winston or genji is insane.

He is not that far out of line, though. Maybe when Ana gets picked more, trans will be hard countered.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

With new cosmetic items added to regular loot boxes shortly, does it make sense to stockpile boxes now? Since the introduction of the new "no duplicates" mechanic, the content of a box can no longer be determined by earning the box anymore, right?

Unless they keep track of all items in all boxes you stockpile, which seems like a lot of effort compared to creating the content upon opening a box.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

headcase posted:

Yeah I think Zen is the next one that's going to stick out for whackamole. That is my hot take (Zen main). There are some team fights where solo burst 2 or 3 people's heads off , discord the tank, and then trans to seal the deal. Also, the synergy with a good winston or genji is insane.

He is not that far out of line, though. Maybe when Ana gets picked more, trans will be hard countered.

I only doubt this because Zen is a permanent off-healer due to having zero burst heal and a 30HPS-LOS orb.

In contrast:
-Lucio can burst-heal the entire team (provided they are close enough.) for 58hps with Amp It Up.
-Ana is like 70HPS base and bursts into 100hps if she Biotic Grenade's her heal-target.
-Moira is 80HPS + 3s 16HPS + 75HPS Orb
-Mercy is a zero burst but solid 60HPS

Zen will never be able to main-heal unless he has some kind of non-ult ability for keeping the tanks up if they receive burst damage.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

headcase posted:

I think Zens probably fine where he is beyond they touching his discord/harmony percentages down and up depending on them adding/buffing characters that either hurt his viability or make him more viable.

edit: I really think that even though the overwatch devs say "We don't wanna force a meta" they really kind of do with their game design and currently the balance is do we run Lucio, Zen, or Moira in a slot and do we run Ana, Mercy, or Moira in the other slot.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 5, 2018

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Why would Blizz touch a healer no one has any complaints about

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

headcase posted:

I did just that in a game yesterday which naturally we still lost 0-2.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

i was just predicting that people will complain about him when there is nothing else to complain about. That's the way this carousel works.

I actually think it's a good thing that blizzard rotates the meta. It keeps the game fresh.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

perhaps, after healing her targets enough to build up her ultimate meter, mercy could make the character she is targeting with her healing beam invincible for 10 seconds

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

perhaps, after healing her targets enough to build up her ultimate meter, mercy could make the character she is targeting with her healing beam invincible for 10 seconds

And it shall be called... Ubercharge!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Nullsmack posted:

It's not like she can jump in from out of nowhere, charge up an alt-fire ability for 0.5 second and then totally delete your character while you can do absolutely nothing about it. Only to get a chance to do it again a couple of seconds later to someone else.
I actually can't tell if you're trying to say that Doomfist is overpowered or are just loving around.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ravenfood posted:

I actually can't tell if you're trying to say that Doomfist is overpowered or are just loving around.

see I was thinking Junkrat

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Macaluso posted:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20760637413?page=6#post-115

Wellp RIP Junkrat, can't wait to see how they dumpster him like they do anytime they nerf someone :(

Anything that nerfs Junkrat is awesome. Shittiest hero by a huge margin, makes the game completely lovely in the same way as TF2's demoman. Absolute garbage indirect fire low skill bullshit for babies and trolls.

IM REAL MAD.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

Anything that nerfs Junkrat is awesome. Shittiest hero by a huge margin, makes the game completely lovely in the same way as TF2's demoman. Absolute garbage indirect fire low skill bullshit for babies and trolls.

IM REAL MAD.

I always laugh when people get angry about Junkrat when Genji exists.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Thor-Stryker posted:

I always laugh when people get angry about Junkrat when Genji exists.

i'm not really understanding the comparison here

most people complain about junkrat because he's really easy to blow people up with, whereas genji is very difficult to do well with??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

kumba posted:

i'm not really understanding the comparison here

most people complain about junkrat because he's really easy to blow people up with, whereas genji is very difficult to do well with??

You should try playing Genji, shits super easy, your targets don't even need to be on screen to hit.