Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Hmm my various media feeds are only giving me the fan theory that Snoke orchestrated his own betrayal, because the scars are bigger or smaller on his head in TLJ vs TFA, and the pit in his jaw is deeper or shallower.

No, that doesn't at all sound like some angry turbonerd pissed off that all their fantasizing about Snoke being some super ancient and powerful EU dark lord was thrown back in their faces, it's a ruse!!1

(Watch as JJ u-turns this around and Snoke comes back in IX as the REAL baddy the 'fans' 'wanted').

Oh, shazbot, new page. Here, Snoke's true identity:

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Who eats a pear like that?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I remember in like the TFA artbook them saying something like 'Snoke was supposed to be handsome from some angles and horrible from others' but in TFA he looks like Gary Oldman's character from Hannibal. There were moments in TLJ, however, where it felt like they actually nailed the concept correctly. But he looks very different.

And lol @ that theory. Guys, here's my ESB theory: Vader is Luke's father, wow!

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

And lol @ that theory. Guys, here's my ESB theory: Vader is Luke's father, wow!

I'm probably misunderstanding you, but if you're suggesting that the reveal of Snoke orchestrating his own betrayal, and then his returning is inevitable, IX will sadly be worse off for it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Lol, in Lucas’ version, Snoke was named “Uber”.

I mean, it’s not better (or worse) than “Snoke”. But it is more Lucas.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It is more evil

Serf
May 5, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

not only did lucas know 9/11 was an inside job before it even happened, he predicted the evil of the gig economy

EugeneDebsWasCool
Nov 10, 2017
Buglord

Nobody wants to read your terrible fan fiction

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

That's far more prophetic naming for a villain, so he's already leagues ahead of "Snoke."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Steve Bannon is a George Lucas who fell to the dark side.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

George Lucas is great. He a big teddy bear full of weird ideas who generally wants to do good in the world and gives lots of money to charity. Sold the thing he worked his whole life on for a song to make nerds happy since they hated him, giving the money to charity. They then proceeded to hate him even more and make videos about how he actually never did anything and it was all other people.

Not gonna feel sorry for him cause he's rich and had everything he could ever want, but I like him.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

How can anyone hate on this big goober? :allears:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

He's fine. I certainly agree that The Star Wars was more a success of collaboration than a singular auteur (as partially evidenced by the damage done by his revisiting to tweak it closer to "his vision") and think that the prequels are bad, bad cinema whatever contrarian opinion this forum can cook up. But the deep and visceral hate for the guy because some of his movies didn't land for ya is weird. He's a goofy dude who just made some movies about laser swords and robots. Hollywood is full of sex perverts and psychopaths who actually deserve our hate.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like his weird bad movies almost more than the good ones. Willow, Howard the Duck, there's just so much interesting and crazy stuff going on in them. He's like a more talented slightly less crazy Dan Akroyd.

Though some people including myself think Willow is legit great, this is apparently a minority opinion.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I like his weird bad movies almost more than the good ones. Willow, Howard the Duck, there's just so much interesting and crazy stuff going on in them. He's like a more talented slightly less crazy Dan Akroyd.

Though some people including myself think Willow is legit great, this is apparently a minority opinion.

I love Willow, even if some of the effects haven't aged well. Val Kilmer is a good actor when he's enjoying the role, and he's having the time of his loving life as Madmartigan.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I liked Willow a lot as a kid and then gradually had a less rosy opinion of it as I read more and discovered it was pretty much a direct ripoff of Lord of the Rings. I do have lots of nostalgia for those grimy 80s fantasy movies though. Labyrinth, the Dark Crystal, the Neverending Story, and Willow all had that unique blend of the fantastical and the frightening.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

He's fine. I certainly agree that The Star Wars was more a success of collaboration than a singular auteur (as partially evidenced by the damage done by his revisiting to tweak it closer to "his vision")

Episodes I-VI are more the success of a single auteur than the overwhelming majority of the films you've seen in your entire life. Hope this helps!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

exquisite tea posted:

I liked Willow a lot as a kid and then gradually had a less rosy opinion of it as I read more and discovered it was pretty much a direct ripoff of Lord of the Rings. I do have lots of nostalgia for those grimy 80s fantasy movies though. Labyrinth, the Dark Crystal, the Neverending Story, and Willow all had that unique blend of the fantastical and the frightening.

It has a ton of similarities to LOTR in it's setting and some of the races (as pretty much all "high fantasy" does), but the plot really has nothing to do with LOTR, beyond "short guy from small village conquers evil and is helped by a human and a wizard", so calling it a "direct ripoff" feels like a bit much. Willow is nothing like Frodo beyond height and his home village, Madmartigan is nothing like Aragon or Boromir, there are no Elves, Dwarfs, or Orcs, and the plot of "child destined to destroy the evil ruler must be protected" has no real analogue in LOTR. I guess the Brownies are kind of like Merry and Pippin, but there is no Samwise.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Willow is legally distinct enough from LoTR for me. I mean, it's just the one Hobbit, there's no ring, The Hobbit is a wizard instead of a theif, the villain doesn't bear much resemblance to Sauron, there's no elves, no huge armies battling.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Okay but, it's just the Lord of the Rings.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I think I've read enough legit ripoffs of LOTR (the first Shannara book, for example) that Willow stands out as plenty different for me.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lord of the Rings borrows from from Sigurd the Volsung anyway.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Willow is pretty good.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

Wild that canonically Willow and Cocoon will now be incorporated into the Star Wars Universe

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

homullus posted:

Episodes I-VI are more the success of a single auteur than the overwhelming majority of the films you've seen in your entire life. Hope this helps!

This is a pretty reckless thing to say. What if this guy spends most of his movie-watching time with Maya Deren and Derek Jarman movies? Then you'd be wrong!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

CountFosco posted:

This is a pretty reckless thing to say. What if this guy spends most of his movie-watching time with Maya Deren and Derek Jarman movies? Then you'd be wrong!

Never tell me the odds!

Also, there's a good chance somebody will tell Han Solo the odds in his upcoming movie. Perhaps their doing so will appear to jinx him.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

CountFosco posted:

Yeah jokes on you I just watch Doom House on repeat; doesn't get much more auteur than that.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Yeah jokes on you I just watch Doom House on repeat; doesn't get much more auteur than that.

I had a friend who loved Doom House and would watch and quote it all the time. It was my first introduction to SA so I can't hate the guy, but man, I really hated that guy.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Gonz posted:

Well THERE’S a theory.

It suggests that Kylo is a master manipulator.

I think it's correct that Kylo is manipulative, but at the same time I don't think he had this all planned out in a journal somewhere. He's reflexively manipulative because that's in his nature. That's the dark side, just as Rey's essential goodness and empathy is the light.

Kylo's inner conflict/inner light that Rey sees isn't a lie, it just proves to be irrelevant. Kylo is defined by his actions, not by how he feels about them.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

General Dog posted:

Rey's essential goodness and empathy
She'd Cuisinart a temple full of younglings if the Great Luke Skywalker told her to.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

J_RBG posted:

Wild that canonically Willow and Cocoon will now be incorporated into the Star Wars Universe

They put some willow stuff in the Star Wars Databank as an April fools joke back in like 2004.

CassandraSupreme
Dec 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

UmOk posted:

I heard Master Yoda talking about intellectuals, I was wondering, what are intellectuals?

They are an ancient race that lived on the forest moon of Morriwa. You can see a picture of one in the taijitu in the Jedi Temple in TLJ. Snoke is one of the last surviving members of their race, because they invented the Sith when they got too powerful.

It's like you don't even read the comics!

Serf
May 5, 2011

the magic stuff from willow is definitely the force

CassandraSupreme
Dec 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Serf posted:

yeah i read this when it came out and it owned

Is it still around anywhere?

Serf
May 5, 2011

CassandraSupreme posted:

Is it still around anywhere?

looks like you can pick up the trade paperback on amazon

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
George Lucas is the kind of guy who has some really interesting big picture and world building ideas. The love/hate on him is just because internet scifi fans can be some of the biggest babies and can't put entertainment into any context.

BUT, for the love of god needs an actual screenwriter to do the dialogue and make the story fit in together.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dialog in the prequels was fine. A new hope was distracting because the actors were trying to be too naturalistic with the unnatural lines. He did a much better job directing the actors in the prequels and in RoTj to be flatter in their delivery and it worked much better.

Imho of course.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

unlawfulsoup posted:

George Lucas is the kind of guy who has some really interesting big picture and world building ideas. The love/hate on him is just because internet scifi fans can be some of the biggest babies and can't put entertainment into any context.

BUT, for the love of god needs an actual screenwriter to do the dialogue and make the story fit in together.

Yeah I think after ANH was almost a disaster he should've just stuck to the story treatment role and let others direct and pull a script together. It worked pretty well when he did that (ESB, Raiders).

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

unlawfulsoup posted:

Not even the younglings survived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah I think after ANH was almost a disaster he should've just stuck to the story treatment role and let others direct and pull a script together. It worked pretty well when he did that (ESB, Raiders).

Oh, are we back on the “ANH was a terrible mess that was saved by the edit” thing again?