Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

bewbies posted:

did the Germans have a blanket "no surrender" policy in place during WWII, and if so, can someone source it for me?

During the latter half of the war with the USSR, Hitler repeatedly declared towns and cities "fortresses" and directed that no retreat was permissible from them. That is probably what you are referring to. These invariably resulted in the forces trapped there being encircled and ultimately destroyed.

This had some fun side effects, such as some commanders methodically avoiding going into towns and cities, despite it being a good idea tactically, in case the town was declared a "fortress" while they were in there.

The Germans obviously had a policy of not surrendering throughout the war, right up to the point where they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

go wild my friend: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/surgeonsatsea/

even the English who were putatively Good At Boats were still trying to draw a distinction between "guys who drive the boat" and "guys who do the fighting" in the early 1500s.

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

bewbies posted:

did the Germans have a blanket "no surrender" policy in place during WWII, and if so, can someone source it for me?

No, they didn't. Hitler had some pretty asinine "no retreat" orders that led to some pretty god awful defeats for them, and there was certainly a reluctance to surrender on the part of many units in the east based largely on the brutality of that fight and the propaganda they'd been fed about what the Soviets did to prisoners, but there wasn't any kind of no surrender general order.

There are bunches of times when the Wehrmacht did totally normal, orderly surrenders in appropriate circumstances. The final order to lay down arms is the most obvious one, but as early as 1943 you have the mass surrender of the troops left behind in N. Africa.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
are there any good examples of official "no surrender" policies for modern militaries outside of imperial Japan?

also: is there any reason to believe that hitler's "nero policy" was intended to be punitive in nature?

also also: are there any other good examples of autocrats ordering the destruction of their lands while in the death throes of their regimes?

bewbies fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 5, 2018

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Victor Hutchinson's POW Diary

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Friday January 5th, 1945

O happy day! Water throughout the 24 hrs, and what is more had my first hot bath for a month in a briegy (POW?) camp.

Bread ration cut a further 300gms (2/3lb approx).

Tom took a beating from the dentist when he had his lower pre-molar removed: he is now in his pit recovering.

Jock Carrie (Scotchman) & ‘Luckie ‘Libeness (Canadian) have contracted dermatitis & impetigo respectively-both are in our mess.

German newspapers are screaming Hitler’s latest speech! He imagines that they will win the war even if they have to fight down to the last child, grandmother and even mothers. The ‘goon ferrets’ felt most elated and ready to spread the gospel amongst us.

German communiqué reports that heavy fighting going on around Bastogne & that they have captured Weissenburg in Alsace. The Russians holding Budapest in siege and are stretching along Czech eastern front.

Our weekly quiz contest in the mess has carried on in a rather strained atmosphere due to the ambiguous questions demanded by various mess members.

Four briegies repatriated today-one hours notice. F/Lt Stewart Harris from Westerham amongst them he had two interviews with the Gestapo - now unfit.

Gort fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 11, 2018

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

bewbies posted:

are there any good examples of official "no surrender" policies for modern militaries outside of imperial Japan?

also: is there any reason to believe that hitler's "nero policy" was intended to be punitive in nature?

also also: are there any other good examples of autocrats ordering the destruction of their lands while in the death throes of their regimes?
The closest I can think of is in general orders on the Western Front in the Great War. The official defensive doctrine of both sides for the first few years was to hold the front line at all cost and immediately counter attack to recover any lost ground. It wasn't until later that more flexible, and ultimately more effective, defense-in-depth doctrines took over.

Unfortunately I don't have a specific example handy, and it's not exactly the same thing. The idea at the time was that if you didn't hold that front no matter what, as soon as the enemy broke through you'd have to surrender because your position would be untenable, and none of the armies issued no-surrender orders that applied to those circumstances.

EDIT: I'm also assuming things like Mustafa Kemal's orders to the 57th Infantry Regiment aren't what you mean.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 5, 2018

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
If anyone has any knowledge about it, an effortpost on when it was considered OK to surrender in militaries throughout history would be really cool.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

bewbies posted:

No military WANTS to surrender, or have its troops surrender.

As such, it's framed in terms of a desperate last resort. One of the things they make you memorize in boot camp is the "Code of Conduct," instituted in the mid-50s as a response to the prisoners in the Korean War who collaborated with the North Koreans:

quote:

ARTICLE I:
I am an American, fighting in the forces which guard my country and our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense.

ARTICLE II:
I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command, I will never surrender the members of my command while they still have the means to resist.

ARTICLE III:
If I am captured I will continue to resist by all means available. I will make every effort to escape and to aid others to escape. I will accept neither parole nor special favors from the enemy.

ARTICLE IV:
If I become a prisoner of war, I will keep faith with my fellow prisoners. I will give no information nor take part in any action which might be harmful to my comrades. If I am senior, I will take command. If not, I will obey lawful orders of those appointed over me and will back them in every way.

ARTICLE V:
When questioned, should I become a prisoner of war, I am required to give name, rank, service number, and date of birth. I will evade answering further questions to the utmost of my ability. I will make no oral or written statements disloyal to my country or its allies or harmful to their cause.

ARTICLE VI:
I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.

I see they changed Article I since I was in, it used to say "I am an American fighting man. I serve in the forces which," etc.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

bewbies posted:

1) Not that I'm aware of. You'd probably have to be dealing with total fanatics. Maybe ISIS or the like? Also, "victory or death" tends to not have the best effects on troop morale. poo poo, even the suicide kits given to people on super sensitive missions were voluntary in nature. Gary Powers was a CIA pilot and decided to sit out Soviet captivity rather than use his. MAAAYBE some kind of unofficial policy in some really tight knit, highly trained, super highly motivated unit that was fighting against an enemy they considered barbaric or less than human. I wouldn't be overly surprised to hear there was a suicide pact among some specific SEAL team's members when working away from support in Afghanistan, for example. Anecdotally I've heard of more than a few individuals keeping an extra couple of rounds in their pocket to take Kipling's way out if they were cut off and in danger of being captured by the Taliban.

2) Nope. Hitler has a one off comment right before he died about how the Germans ultimately weren't worthy of him, but the Nero order seems to have been just bog standard scorched earth tactics. The idea was to make Germany as worthless as possible for the enemy.

3) I'm sure one must exist somewhere in the annals of history, but I'm not really thinking of any. I mean, you have scorched earth as a tactic to deny the enemy the resources they might otherwise plunder from your lands, but the idea there is always that this will help you wait them out. Saddam was more than happy to torch the Kuwaiti wells as a final gently caress you while his army pulled out, but that wasn't him breaking Iraqi poo poo.

These questions seem oddly specific. What's the interest?

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 5, 2018

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 5th Jan 1918 posted:

The Battalion moved into the Front Line, returning to the same sector, opposite ZANVOORDE, and relieved the 10th. Bn. Loyal North Lancs. The Battalion front is from J.32.a.6.2 to P.1.a.9.3. The line is held by three groups of posts which are divided equally among all Companies, the raiding party (the Desperadoes) being in Reserve at HILL 60. By this arrangement men in the outposts can be relieved every 24 hours, which, owing to weather, is essential to prevent Trench Feet.

2/Lieut R. CARR was wounded by shell in communication trench. Disposition of Companies as follows:- Left group, held jointly between B & DCoys, remainder of the Companies being established in dugouts opposite Battalion Head Quarters in the ravine, map reference, I.36.c.9.5. Both Company Head Quarters being at the CLUSTERS, and Head Quarters in the line being at TOP HOUSE. Centre group held jointly between A, B, & D Coys, each Company having men in the posts comprising group, Head Quarters being in WOOD FARM. Right Group. Held alone by A Coy, Coy. H.Q. being at CHATEAU dugouts. C Coy. is established in concrete Pill Boxes in the ravine at IMPERFECT COPSE with the exception of 17 other ranks who are provided with shelters in the reserve line of OAF TRENCH.

General. The Battalion Aid Post is at IMPERIAL Dugouts. Cooking for the men in the line is done as before in IMPERIAL Dugouts while the other men's food is cooked at Cook Houses at Battalion H.Q. and CHATEAU Dugouts. The Battalion S.A.A. and Bomb Store is at IMPERIAL Dugouts. Owing to the excellence of the light railway and the good state of weather, the duck board not being very slippery, and the lowness of visibility, relief complete was given and the relieved Battalion in its homeward journey by 7-45 p.m. 5/1/18.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

Galaxy brain: cavalry combat, on a boat.

Universe brain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtfNu5wkGk8&feature=youtu.be&t=9m57s

(skip to ~9:57 in case i hosed that up because it's the only part of this hour long video that's part of the dumb joke im trying to make)

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I love British WWI reports.

They're so much better for not having a boring ol' grid coordinates.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What's the most modern example of a boarding action between two warships?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

gradenko_2000 posted:

Probably something involving piracy off the coast of Somalia depending on your definition of "warship"

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capture_of_USS_Chesapeake

was probably at least one of the last, if you're taking a 'not a speedboat' definition of warship.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

I can't remember the name of either ship involved, but in WW2 there was an instance of a German U-Boat surfacing and promptly crashing into an American ship (maybe a destroyer?). With the two ships locked together and the American guns unable to depress far enough to shoot it off, both sides' crewmen ended up engaging in a firefight across both vessels using small arms and whatever mounted weapons they could aim at each other.

At one point in the battle a German sailor was spotted running for the deck gun, and an American without any other options chucked a 5-inch shell casing at him and knocked him overboard.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hunt11 posted:

In regards to knocking out the Spanish Empire, I believe there is at least some credence to that idea as the cost do make the Armada was massive, and with it gone the New World was now a lot more open to the other European powers. Also with the Spanish empire being kept afloat by the sheer amount of gold they were being able to extract from the Americas meant that with their shipping lanes being more vulnerable then ever, the Spanish Empire was going to suffer for at least the short term.
This isn't true; the Atlantic fleet was something different from the Armada and if I recall correctly the annual gold shipment was lost only once in history--a hurricane.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

gradenko_2000 posted:

USS Pueblo, maybe?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

I can't remember the name of either ship involved, but in WW2 there was an instance of a German U-Boat surfacing and promptly crashing into an American ship (maybe a destroyer?). With the two ships locked together and the American guns unable to depress far enough to shoot it off, both sides' crewmen ended up engaging in a firefight across both vessels using small arms and whatever mounted weapons they could aim at each other.

At one point in the battle a German sailor was spotted running for the deck gun, and an American without any other options chucked a 5-inch shell casing at him and knocked him overboard.
The USS Borie vs the U-405. There's a decent write up on the Borie's Wiki page.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

chitoryu12 posted:

I can't remember the name of either ship involved, but in WW2 there was an instance of a German U-Boat surfacing and promptly crashing into an American ship (maybe a destroyer?).

Also, U-505 was boarded and captured, and is sitting in Chicago as a result.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

No, they didn't. Hitler had some pretty asinine "no retreat" orders that led to some pretty god awful defeats for them, and there was certainly a reluctance to surrender on the part of many units in the east based largely on the brutality of that fight and the propaganda they'd been fed about what the Soviets did to prisoners, but there wasn't any kind of no surrender general order.

There are bunches of times when the Wehrmacht did totally normal, orderly surrenders in appropriate circumstances. The final order to lay down arms is the most obvious one, but as early as 1943 you have the mass surrender of the troops left behind in N. Africa.
at least one trace italienne fortress was handed over to the soviets in the traditional way, but i forget which one it was

still though, imagine how many years of war that thing experienced

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

there was certainly a reluctance to surrender on the part of many units in the east based largely on the brutality of that fight and the propaganda they'd been fed about what the Soviets did to prisoners

Probably not just propaganda, no, given how the Germans treated Soviet troops and civilians? Especially for SS men. I mean, I don't mean the Soviets would torture and eat them or anything, but if surrender just means you're likely to get shot in the head, you probably don't surrender.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

This isn't true; the Atlantic fleet was something different from the Armada and if I recall correctly the annual gold shipment was lost only once in history--a hurricane.

Umm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_in_the_Bay_of_Matanzas

I mean, they only lost half of it but I'd say that's still pretty significant.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

HEY GUNS posted:

english language sources are full of a lot of bullshit about the armada, as though that was a decisive knock to the biggest empire in the world

“The day your tiny kingdom had the honour and privilege of facing my Imperial might in battle was the most important day of your life but for me...it was Tuesday.”

Edit: I might argue that the biggest impact of the Armada was the knock on Spanish prestige, though even then it wasn’t decisive. Do you know what contemporary foreign observers thought about the chances of success for the Armada and how they reacted to its failure?

Tomn fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 5, 2018

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Tons of Germans successfully surrendered to the Soviets. They weren’t treated well in captivity but it wasn’t the death sentence Nazi propaganda would have you believe.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

1) Not that I'm aware of. You'd probably have to be dealing with total fanatics. Maybe ISIS or the like? Also, "victory or death" tends to not have the best effects on troop morale. poo poo, even the suicide kits given to people on super sensitive missions were voluntary in nature. Gary Powers was a CIA pilot and decided to sit out Soviet captivity rather than use his. MAAAYBE some kind of unofficial policy in some really tight knit, highly trained, super highly motivated unit that was fighting against an enemy they considered barbaric or less than human. I wouldn't be overly surprised to hear there was a suicide pact among some specific SEAL team's members when working away from support in Afghanistan, for example. Anecdotally I've heard of more than a few individuals keeping an extra couple of rounds in their pocket to take Kipling's way out if they were cut off and in danger of being captured by the Taliban.

2) Nope. Hitler has a one off comment right before he died about how the Germans ultimately weren't worthy of him, but the Nero order seems to have been just bog standard scorched earth tactics. The idea was to make Germany as worthless as possible for the enemy.

3) I'm sure one must exist somewhere in the annals of history, but I'm not really thinking of any. I mean, you have scorched earth as a tactic to deny the enemy the resources they might otherwise plunder from your lands, but the idea there is always that this will help you wait them out. Saddam was more than happy to torch the Kuwaiti wells as a final gently caress you while his army pulled out, but that wasn't him breaking Iraqi poo poo.

These questions seem oddly specific. What's the interest?

excellent answers all,

I'm doing an analysis of what *might* happen in the event of a proper shooting war on the korean peninsula and I suppose i've taken the stance that it is much more likely to turn into a mass surrender/humanitarian crisis rather than a "burning every last nork out of a spider hole" kind of scenario.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Cessna posted:

Also, U-505 was boarded and captured, and is sitting in Chicago as a result.

I got to see this a couple months ago. It's amazing. Highly recommended!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HEY GUNS posted:

Creating the Armada was a drain on Spanish resources that was made even worse with the fact that almost all the money sunk into the Armada was quite literally sunk. So yes the Atlantic fleet may have been fine, but the ability for Spain to really react to changing circumstances was weakened.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I forgot that the other German was hit with a loving throwing knife. And that they happened to have practiced a nearly identical ramming situation on that ship recently so they were ready for if.

I’m pretty sure everything that was technically possible with technology of the time occurred at least once in WW2.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Didn't so many soviet soldiers die in German captivity that it was a really significant source of their total combat deaths?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Didn't so many soviet soldiers die in German captivity that it was a really significant source of their total combat deaths?

Oh yeah, it was absolutely horrific, and massive in scale (over 3 million killed) but it gets overshadowed in popular memory by what the Nazis were doing to civilians at the time.

e: Nazis bad

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

bewbies posted:

excellent answers all,

I'm doing an analysis of what *might* happen in the event of a proper shooting war on the korean peninsula and I suppose i've taken the stance that it is much more likely to turn into a mass surrender/humanitarian crisis rather than a "burning every last nork out of a spider hole" kind of scenario.
There's some reason to be concerned about a scenario like with Imperial Japan, given the propaganda fed to North Koreans over the decades. Some of that is fatalism and a cultural romanticization of martyrdom, but at least as much would be the idea US soldiers will murder you anyways so might as well fight to the last.

That being said the really big worry is less about what the regular soldiers and civilians do, but that in the case of a nuclear armed state you really only need a handful of fanatics - or even just Kim himself - to enact a Nero Decree.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 5, 2018

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Eela6 posted:

I got to see this a couple months ago. It's amazing. Highly recommended!

I did curatorial work on a US submarine on display in the late 90's, and my boss and I were called in as consultants by the Museum of Science and Industry to help develop their indoor preservation plan.

I am VERY glad they put that poor thing inside, the Chicago winters were brutal to the historic fabric.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Cyrano4747 posted:

Tons of Germans successfully surrendered to the Soviets. They weren’t treated well in captivity but it wasn’t the death sentence Nazi propaganda would have you believe.

What percentage of Germans captured in Stalingrad made it back to Germany?

Edit to add: Look, gently caress Nazis. But Soviet captivity was often lethal.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 5, 2018

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Hunt11 posted:

Creating the Armada was a drain on Spanish resources that was made even worse with the fact that almost all the money sunk into the Armada was quite literally sunk.

It didn't help that, in a decision worthy of Emperor Palpatine, Phillip's repose was to build a second armada to invade England (which also got wrecked in a storm), and then, when that failed, a third armada (which, you got it, was wrecked in a storm).

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Amusingly, Elizabeth sent her own Armada against Spain in an attempt to exploit the loss of the Spanish Armada. Nobody talks about that embarrassment very much.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Cessna posted:

What percentage of Germans captured in Stalingrad made it back to Germany?

Edit to add: Look, gently caress Nazis. But Soviet captivity was often lethal.

91,000 were captured, 5,000 survived. 5%

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Gort posted:

If anyone has any knowledge about it, an effortpost on when it was considered OK to surrender in militaries throughout history would be really cool.

I don't have the book handy (How To Make War), but IIRC it claims that on the whole only about half of surrender attempts succeed. I assume this isn't including deaths while in captivity.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Gnoman posted:

Amusingly, Elizabeth sent her own Armada against Spain in an attempt to exploit the loss of the Spanish Armada. Nobody talks about that embarrassment very much.

Hey, it may have failed, but at least it didn't get wrecked by a storm!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Saint Celestine posted:

91,000 were captured, 5,000 survived. 5%

If I knew I had about a 5% chance of surviving and faced years of starvation and misery in the meantime I'd be very reluctant to surrender.

Again, gently caress the Nazis. But those are bad odds.