Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Booyah- posted:

Cool, so you recommend the flechette blaster setup on the infiltrators as well?

It's mathematically better against everything except t6 and t7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Late-shipped presents from my girlfriend. She is very supportive.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Where is the toxx thread?

Also one of my resolutions is to paint for an average of an hour a day. I know that the Chapter Challenge thread did a great job of motivating me, so I'm wondering if a motivation thread would be a good idea. Basically someplace where we post what we did that day and keep each other going. Would anyone else be interested in such a thing?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The 30k thread.

A motivational thread might be good.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
The Oath Thread is a thing, you know.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Liquid Communism posted:

We prefer our high stakes and stupid contests.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
So with that Predator I've got enough painted up to field a complete force for tournaments. I'm taking this lot to a casual funsies 1784 point gig in a couple of weeks where I'll be fishing for Best Painted.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

adamantium|wang posted:

So with that Predator I've got enough painted up to field a complete force for tournaments. I'm taking this lot to a casual funsies 1784 point gig in a couple of weeks where I'll be fishing for Best Painted.

:stare:

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Thanqol posted:

Bots and Dunecrawlers are great against guard/orks/eldar/etc - races with T3 infantry and T8 vehicles.

I don't know if this changes anything but 99% of Ork infantry is T4. Grots and the like are the only thing i can think of at T3. On the other hand most Ork vehicles are lower than T8.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The Jumpoff posted:

I don't know if this changes anything but 99% of Ork infantry is T4. Grots and the like are the only thing i can think of at T3. On the other hand most Ork vehicles are lower than T8.

Grots are T2.

The look on my opponent's face when I remind them that their bolters wound on a 2+ is kind of funny.

They're also only Ld4. Grots are good at two things. Occupying space and dying.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Floppychop posted:

Grots are T2.

The look on my opponent's face when I remind them that their bolters wound on a 2+ is kind of funny.

They're also only Ld4. Grots are good at two things. Occupying space and dying.

Yeah Grots are for cheaply filling in troop choices since Orks only have two choices, and taking boyz in less than squads of 20 is a bit lackluster.

God i just want the Ork codex already, since i don't have a second army to dick around with.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Liquid Communism posted:

It is, which is why I'm asking. The idea would be something that's more about daily progress, talking about what you did that day. The Oath Thread is great for showing big steps, but I doubt people would appreciate it if I posted about how I spent an hour cleaning up mold lines.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It is, which is why I'm asking. The idea would be something that's more about daily progress, talking about what you did that day. The Oath Thread is great for showing big steps, but I doubt people would appreciate it if I posted about how I spent an hour cleaning up mold lines.

Go and make a thread. I'm game.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Liquid Communism posted:

The Oath Thread is great, but I find it pretty limiting. Because the interval is so short, when real life stuff comes and you don't finish your Oath it is easier to declare failure and ignore it because the stakes are zero. Once you miss an Oath or two it is so easy to just stop bothering with it. I miss punishment existing for Oath Breaking.

The 30k thread toxx is better because it is bigger in scope, way more free form, and most importantly everyone is working on the same project . That is a better bit of community building than seeing people paint random things with no rhyme or reason for games you have no interest in. I loved the chapter challenge so much for that reason.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
As someone who didn't follow the thread, what was the toxx?

And if someone makes a paint challenge thread link it, I'm game.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Deified Data posted:

As someone who didn't follow the thread, what was the toxx?

Paint a 30k legal LoW choice. The winner gets the models for a full slot on the 30k FOC, courtesy of panascope, and a VHS copy of Space Jam. But, most importantly, many people get banned.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
I stopped posting in the Oath thread because it became to much of a hassle to ensure my painting goals were ending and beginning on a monthly time table. I refuse to run side by side paint projects.

Also, I've noticed more than a few of you have made indications that you are going to Adepticon, but I haven't received a PM from you with your contact info to get in on a GoonMeet. So stop being chicken shits, and send your info so I can MURDER YOU arrange for you to meet some of your fellow neck beards.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Speaking of dumb side-contests, I put up a challenge for people to cross-post to draw people over to the 30k thread. The winner is Sulecrist, who gets a Space Marine character of his choosing. He chose.... Typhon. :

MAKE ME NOT BAD

++ Patrol Detachment (Imperium - Deathwatch) [67 PL, 1236pts] ++

+ Fast Attack +

Deathwatch Bikers [10 PL, 161pts]
. Deathwatch Biker: Power axe, Twin boltgun . Deathwatch Biker: Power maul, Twin boltgun . Deathwatch Biker Sergeant: Power sword, Twin boltgun . Deathwatch Biker w/ Teleport Homer: Power sword, Twin boltgun

Tarantula Sentry Gun [3 PL, 64pts]
. Tarantula Sentry Gun: Twin assault cannon

+ HQ +

Librarian [6 PL, 96pts]: 2) Might of Heroes, 3) Psychic Scourge, Bolt pistol, Force sword

Watch Captain Artemis [7 PL, 130pts]: 1. Legendary Fighter, Warlord

+ Troops +

Deathwatch Kill Team [15 PL, 265pts]
. Deathwatch Veteran: Boltgun, Power sword . Deathwatch Veteran: Boltgun, Power sword . Deathwatch Veteran: Power maul, Storm shield . Deathwatch Veteran: Boltgun, Power sword . Deathwatch Veteran: Combi-melta, Power sword . Deathwatch Veteran w/ Heavy Weapon: Deathwatch Frag Cannon . Deathwatch Veteran w/ Heavy Weapon: Infernus Heavy Bolter . Watch Sergeant: Plasma pistol, Xenophase Blade

+ Dedicated Transport +

Rhino [4 PL, 80pts]: Hunter-killer missile, 2x Storm bolter

+ Heavy Support +

Hellblaster Squad [8 PL, 194pts]: Assault Plasma Incinerator . 4x Hellblaster . Hellblaster Sergeant: Plasma pistol

+ No Force Org Slot +

Gametype: Matched

+ Elites +

Deathwatch Terminators [17 PL, 310pts]
. Deathwatch Terminator
. . Power Fist, Storm Bolter and Meltagun: Meltagun, Power fist, Storm bolter . Deathwatch Terminator . . Power Fist, Storm Bolter and Meltagun: Meltagun, Power fist, Storm bolter . Deathwatch Terminator . . Power Fist, Storm Bolter and Meltagun: Meltagun, Power fist, Storm bolter . Deathwatch Terminator Sergeant . . Power Sword and Stormbolter: Power sword, Storm bolter . Deathwatch Terminator w/ Heavy Weapon: Assault cannon . . Power Fist and Meltagun: Meltagun, Power fist

Vindicare Assassin [5 PL, 90pts]

++ Total: [75 PL, 1390pts] ++

Beerdeer fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 5, 2018

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've only played 1 game of 8th so far, I have a question about this Deathguard ability:

quote:

Silent Bodyguard: Roll a dice each time a friendly DEATH GUARD CHARACTER is hit by a ranged or melee weapon whilst he is within 3" of this unit. On a 2+ one of the Deathshroud intercepts that hit – the character is not hit by that attack but this unit is instead.

I understand what it does in the literal sense of the rules, but it just seems... Bad? It seems to only really be useful against models with Sniper during the first round or two while the DG are still making their way up the board.

The only other way I can try to look at it in a positive light is that you could also treat it as basically adding 6 Wounds (with 2+/4+ and Disgustingly Resilient) a given character.

What are some scenarios that might make this shine?

Again I've only played one demo game fielding the Dark Imperium box against some orks, so I didn't even get to field these Termies to really try it out. Seems like it would be good against Orks; lots of weak hits to soak up for my Lord of Contagion or something.

Edit: Oh and is this an optional ability or do you actually have to roll it every time? I assume optional, but then it doesn't say "You may roll a die".

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 5, 2018

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

I don't have my CA on me. Do Deathwatch have access to Hellblasters or are you drawing them from a regular chapter? If not, are you losing anything in particular by mixing the Assassin and Hellblasters into your force?

I don't know the Deathwatch weapons that well, but I will say you should try to get a battalion det. 3 CP from a Patrol Det doesn't give you much flexibility.

I also feel the Vindicare is arguably the worst assassin. Chances are he won't kill anything, you're better off with an Eversor.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Sab669 posted:

I've only played 1 game of 8th so far, I have a question about this Deathguard ability:

I understand what it does in the literal sense of the rules, but it just seems... Bad? It seems to only really be useful against models with Sniper during the first round or two while the DG are still making their way up the board.

The only other way I can try to look at it in a positive light is that you could also treat it as basically adding 6 Wounds (with 2+/4+ and Disgustingly Resilient) a given character.

What are some scenarios that might make this shine?

Again I've only played one demo game fielding the Dark Imperium box against some orks, so I didn't even get to field these Termies to really try it out. Seems like it would be good against Orks; lots of weak hits to soak up for my Lord of Contagion or something.

It's for Mortarian, because he can always be targeted...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Uroboros posted:

It's for Mortarian, because he can always be targeted...

Does Fly gently caress with Character targeting or something? Why can he always be targeted

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Deathwatch doesn't have a chapter tactic yet, so the only thing I lose is the 2 strategems from CA, which won't help me at all. My regular opponent plays Death Guard.

Hellblasters are part of Deathwatch now, with all their primaris buddies. It doesn't sit right with the fluff bunny in me, but I needed some "heavy" weapons.

And yeah, a battalion would be nice. I need to buy more models is the main issue there. If I could scrape up enough guys I'd have a squad of CC, a squad of bolters, and a squad of Stalker guns.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Sab669 posted:

Does Fly gently caress with Character targeting or something? Why can he always be targeted

Because he has 18 Wounds, rather than 9 or less wounds.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The Oath Thread is great, but I find it pretty limiting. Because the interval is so short, when real life stuff comes and you don't finish your Oath it is easier to declare failure and ignore it because the stakes are zero.

I also really dislike feeling that I have to do some random gimmicky poo poo to my model to try and join in fully.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Also one of my resolutions is to paint for an average of an hour a day. I know that the Chapter Challenge thread did a great job of motivating me, so I'm wondering if a motivation thread would be a good idea. Basically someplace where we post what we did that day and keep each other going. Would anyone else be interested in such a thing?

I wouldn't say no to doing more fun side project stuff like the chapter challenge. I think the idea of everyone doing a unit of Goonwatch was floated on here at some point.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I also really dislike feeling that I have to do some random gimmicky poo poo to my model to try and join in fully.

This as well.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Uroboros posted:

This as well.

I can see where you are coming from here. Most of my bonus points have been accidental so far.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Would something as loose as a year long toxx thread to get an army painted be a good idea? A bit like Tale of Gamers on warseer used to be?

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

Broken Record Talk posted:

Because he has 18 Wounds, rather than 9 or less wounds.

Yeah, characters can be targeted if they have enough wounds.

Aside from being useful for protecting Morty, they can also be pretty handy for keeping some of death guards amazing elite characters alive in a big honkin' melee (where they can be targeted). Plague surgeon, biologus and foul blightspawn in particular want to be close to the action/danger-zone, but are pretty squishy (relatively speaking) and a clever enemy will often target them over most other things as they are very much force multipliers. Deathshrouds are kinda expensive though, and terminators don't seem overly strong this edition, with all the plasma going around etc, so maybe just bring more foul blightspawn.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Thundercloud posted:

Would something as loose as a year long toxx thread to get an army painted be a good idea? A bit like Tale of Gamers on warseer used to be?
The 30k Thread's 2018 Toxx is for an allied detachment. Minimum requirements are 1 HQ, 1 Troop, and 1 other unit of the participant's choice. There will also be a second Skullapalooza at some point and maybe even a couple of one-off challenges here and there. I'm even to the point of thinking about sponsoring one myself later in the year.

We're dumb idiots who like hams a little too much. :shepface: We also have nothing better to do than try to get each other banned.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Safety Factor posted:

We're dumb idiots who like hams a little too much. :shepface: We also have nothing better to do than try to get each other banned.

:same: I'll eventually get modivated enough to finish my project.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I don't know if I'm going to even get that far this year. I'm kinda waiting for a couple codexes before buying anything else right now.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Okay, here's my idea for the thread:

1. This all spawned from a resolution I made this year; paint an average of one hour per day. The whole point of the thread will be to make it the painting equivalent of :justpost:. In fact if someone makes a :justpaint: smiley I will buy it. People are encouraged to talk about progress every time they do anything. You managed to spend fifteen minutes cutting flashing off a Space Marine? Awesome. You spent twelve hours painting the pubic hair of a Great Unclean One and now you want to proudly display your achievement? Go for it. The intent is to have everyone see what everyone else is doing and maintain a positive attitude about getting stuff done.

2. The thread will not be a competition. There will be no prizes, no schedules, no challenges, no gimmicks. Just. Paint. One of the things I intend to do is maintain a record of my painting time and see if I manage to achieve my goal of 365 hours, but that's only because it helps me stay motivated.

3. People are welcome to :toxx: themselves if they feel it's a good motivator. I will likely do that since it's fun and I'm confident I can reach my goal. The only thing you'll get from it out of the thread will be a mounting sense of dread if you procrastinate into December.

Sound good? Bad?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Give me a hand Ham Goons. I got talked into doing a one day casual tourney tomorrow and the list building rules have got me conflicted on what to bring.

It's 40 PL, mandatory HQ and Troops, 0-1 on all categories and no LoW.

I'm using Death Guard, so do I go all in on a blob squad of Blightlords? Build a firebase of Blight-Haulers? Sticking with a Plaguecaster as my HQ and taking a cheapo squad of Poxwalkers for objective grabbing seems like a no-brainer but I can't decide what to do with the rest of my points.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

I enjoyed the competition aspect of the Oath thread, it was just the timeframes and skill challenges aren’t conducive to people with limited painting time. I’d be fine with contributing for a few awards for stand out stuff.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SteelMentor posted:

Give me a hand Ham Goons. I got talked into doing a one day casual tourney tomorrow and the list building rules have got me conflicted on what to bring.

It's 40 PL, mandatory HQ and Troops, 0-1 on all categories and no LoW.

I'm using Death Guard, so do I go all in on a blob squad of Blightlords? Build a firebase of Blight-Haulers? Sticking with a Plaguecaster as my HQ and taking a cheapo squad of Poxwalkers for objective grabbing seems like a no-brainer but I can't decide what to do with the rest of my points.

What do you have to work with? The rules specify you HAVE to have only 1 HQ and 1 Troop, and 0-1 Elite, FA, or HS?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Uroboros posted:

I enjoyed the competition aspect of the Oath thread, it was just the timeframes and skill challenges aren’t conducive to people with limited painting time. I’d be fine with contributing for a few awards for stand out stuff.

Yeah it's something I'm debating. If it's something simple and on a long enough timeline then I could see prizes being viable, but I'm really worried about things getting too complicated and going against the idea of just showing progress.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I will do the thing. How do you intend on keeping track of progress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Deathshrouds are kinda expensive though, and terminators don't seem overly strong this edition, with all the plasma going around etc, so maybe just bring more foul blightspawn.

Fortunately for me I'm not particularly looking to be competitive, just want to dick around and roll dice :v:

Thanks for the explanation though, as a newbie I appreciate the more elaborate answer.