Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Malachite_Dragon posted:

What the gently caress is that thing

One of the numerous car jacks that would be better known as widowmakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You don't know a poo poo jack?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Untrustable posted:

Always keep a tire plug kit handy and know how to use it.

Plug kits are a wallet saver, I tend to need it about once a year because nails are everywhere.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

That's what my car has. I have to confess that I spent about ten minutes figuring out how to use it last time I had to change a wheel.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Where do the nails come from?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Volcott posted:

Where do the nails come from?

A vengeful trickster god

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Well tell him to quit it.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Kennel posted:

You don't know a poo poo jack?

:vince:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Apparently, it's a version of the VW scissor jack. Here's a video of it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2NzTeGXlqw

Edit: love how the guy keeps his body in line with the jack the entire time.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Skippy McPants posted:

Hahaha, I feel you. The first time I replaced a starter motor, I was like, "gently caress doing this myself if paying someone else to is ever an option."

Yet, that story starts with the phrase, “The first time ...”

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Randaconda posted:

One of the numerous car jacks that would be better known as widowmakers.

I changed my friend's breaks a few weeks ago and she showed up with basically half a jack. And it was super wobbly. I almost made her go buy jack stands and a proper jack, but figured she was having me do it because she couldn't afford someone else so just tried to keep as much of myself away from the car as possible. Got it done, but let me tell you, knocking a rusted tire off on a flimsy jack was one of the dumber things I've ever done automotive wise.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Saw that thing in my trunk when I had a flat the other day, said "nope" and called AAA. The wait was worth it.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

Plug kits are a wallet saver, I tend to need it about once a year because nails are everywhere.

You might want to stop being a dick to your neighbours.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solice Kirsk posted:

I changed my friend's breaks a few weeks ago and she showed up with basically half a jack. And it was super wobbly. I almost made her go buy jack stands and a proper jack, but figured she was having me do it because she couldn't afford someone else so just tried to keep as much of myself away from the car as possible. Got it done, but let me tell you, knocking a rusted tire off on a flimsy jack was one of the dumber things I've ever done automotive wise.

:randstare: The redneck way of holding it up with cinder blocks sounds safer, jesus.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I also misspelled brakes.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

If it works, it works. :shrug:
Costco puts extra long hoses on their pumps specifically so you don't have to wait for a pump on the same side as your filling cap.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

xergm posted:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

xergm posted:

Costco puts extra long hoses on their pumps specifically so you don't have to wait for a pump on the same side as your filling cap.

What better way to fix a problem than to cater to it?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Yet, that story starts with the phrase, “The first time ...”

I kept on thinking it the second and third times too, but you'll also note the, "ever an option" bit. At the time it was worth the hassle to save a bit of money.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Her money real good right now

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Takoluka posted:

What better way to fix a problem than to cater to it?

Being back gas caps behind flip down license plates.

Seriously though, they work fine. There are at least 3 people in this shot doing it:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sunswipe posted:

You might want to stop being a dick to your neighbours.

Jokes on you, all my neighbors moved out months ago!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

funmanguy posted:

your mother motto?

noice

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MisterOblivious posted:

Being back gas caps behind flip down license plates.

Seriously though, they work fine. There are at least 3 people in this shot doing it:

This is common at Costco/BJs/Walmart gas stations, because the stations are directional, like at a highway rest stop. There's no accomodation to approach the pumps from the other direction. It works, though you do have to get a bit closer to the pump if you have a wide/tall vehicle.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
privacy publicly displayed

MrYenko posted:

This is common at Costco/BJs/Walmart gas stations, because the stations are directional, like at a highway rest stop. There's no accomodation to approach the pumps from the other direction. It works, though you do have to get a bit closer to the pump if you have a wide/tall vehicle.

Am I missing something here? You can just go the other side? Like you're supposed to?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Horse Inspector posted:

Am I missing something here? You can just go the other side? Like you're supposed to?

There tend to be lines and not that many pumps, so it goes smoother just to get in the shortest line rather than cause more of a backup.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Horse Inspector posted:

why force everyone to arbitrarily go to one side of a pump when you can put a couple extra feet of hose on and keep the lines moving faster?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok question about Oregon and all of the idiocy surrounding the gas pumping...

Did full-service stations disappear overnight? Does the law now state "motorists must pump their own gas"? Did thousands of pump jockeys get summarily executed and pushed into a shallow mass grave?

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
privacy publicly displayed

WoodrowSkillson posted:

why force everyone to arbitrarily go to one side of a pump when you can put a couple extra feet of hose on and keep the lines moving faster?

Yeah sure that's a fair point, I was more confused by the idea of bi-directional stations. It doesn't work in my tiny brain, but maybe I'm unaware of a system that does this.

Horse Inspector has a new favorite as of 16:48 on Jan 5, 2018

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

Did full-service stations disappear overnight? Does the law now state "motorists must pump their own gas"? Did thousands of pump jockeys get summarily executed and pushed into a shallow mass grave?

God I hope so

not really is joke you see

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Modus Pwnens posted:

There tend to be lines and not that many pumps, so it goes smoother just to get in the shortest line rather than cause more of a backup.

Getting gas at Costco is a strange experience. There are a lot of unwritten rules. For example, our location has three pumps in a row, and typically, you pull up to the farthest available pump. But if position 2 in occupied, and 1 and 3 are open, you wait for number 2 to clear, then drive into number 3. Nobody passes in the available space between the pump banks, nor do they start filling at position 1. On a crowded day, three enter, then three leave.

I live in a town full of impatient assholes, but for some reason they behave like a well oiled machine when buying gas at Costco.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

Getting gas at Costco is a strange experience. There are a lot of unwritten rules. For example, our location has three pumps in a row, and typically, you pull up to the farthest available pump. But if position 2 in occupied, and 1 and 3 are open, you wait for number 2 to clear, then drive into number 3. Nobody passes in the available space between the pump banks, nor do they start filling at position 1. On a crowded day, three enter, then three leave.

I live in a town full of impatient assholes, but for some reason they behave like a well oiled machine when buying gas at Costco.

:psyduck: is this like that unwritten rule about not standing next to someone at the urinals?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

I'm very jealous of your Costco gas experience.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

CommonShore posted:

It only applies to counties with less than 40k people. Gas stations every 50-100mi, and a handful of customers each day. Clueless Portlanders will not have to pump their own gas.

Source: A clueless Portlander.

E: Also not a requirement. Any gas station owner who wants to keep self service can.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CommonShore posted:

Here's the thing: it's not even the entire state.

Gas stations in the green counties (which are rural areas that have fewer than 40,000 people each) can now legally allow self-service between 6:00 PM and 6:00 AM. This prevents situations where someone stuck at night in the middle of nowhere rolls up on a gas station that doesn't have an overnight attendant and basically gets to go gently caress themselves if they don't want to break into everything to pump it themselves. Those red countries still prohibit self-service just like before.

Also I'm sorry to say that some of the quotes are fake. The "I nearly died pumping my own gas" guy is a military refueler stationed in Hawaii according to his Facebook.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So what you're saying is that there's no actual controversy, and virtually no change to practice in the state. This just makes cardlocks legal in low-population areas.

Does this mean that all of the controversy is just stdh shitposters? :psyduck:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

Jokes on you, all my neighbors moved out months ago!

Holy crap, ghosts are laying traps for your tires!

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

Here's the thing: it's not even the entire state.

This is the dumbest loving regulatory thing. As an out-of-stater who once got SCREAMED at for not knowing I couldn't just pump my own gas like an adult, I gotta say gently caress You, Oregon!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Farmdizzle posted:

This is the dumbest loving regulatory thing. As an out-of-stater who once got SCREAMED at for not knowing I couldn't just pump my own gas like an adult, I gotta say gently caress You, Oregon!

Man that happened to me in Boston once. From the reaction you'd have thought I'd murdered a small child in front of everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
just wait till you guys hear about this sales tax thing