Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
🤗

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

DoctorWhat posted:

Steamed Hams, but it's edited like Dragon Ball Z.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFVSdlBray8

The Next Episode Preview is the best part of this

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Samuringa posted:

The Next Episode Preview is the best part of this

It's so fuckin on-point.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/4j6aG4i.gifv

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DoctorWhat posted:

It's beautiful.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

DoctorWhat posted:

You can feel the love that was put into this.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVvhbBR3fUs

DoctorWhat posted:

I love reruns.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I just wish Skinner came out of the burning kitchen with blonde hair.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

These are hilarious

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Someone should really get SimpsonsMeme into the hands of the Golden Age writers (and Conan). We know they have a solid appreciation for humor. I want to know what they think of it all.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

mind the walrus posted:

Someone should really get SimpsonsMeme into the hands of the Golden Age writers (and Conan). We know they have a solid appreciation for humor. I want to know what they think of it all.

I've seen Oakley and Weinstein post a shitpost from time to time on twitter.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Holy poo poo

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Pops Mgee posted:

I've seen Oakley and Weinstein post a shitpost from time to time on twitter.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

how do we keep reaching new heights

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Amazing. :randpop:

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

we are in a golden age

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

PYF Macros & Memes: Mostly Steamed Hams and Loss

and we like it that way

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

welp i'm dead rip me

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i put clam chowder for todays soup on the dry erase board at work for the servers and such

a bit later:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
True, there is a grave lack in chowder based content in Simpsons memes. I guess some scenes are just touchstones for lots of people and some aren't. I would also appreciate some spring in a bottle into Lenny's eye, but we can't have it all in life.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Why’d steamed hams get so popular anyway

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Calaveron posted:

It's the funniest scene in one of the funniest shows ever made.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gotta go autistic on this one:

It's a 2-man vaudeville sketch with loads of pauses, miniature scenes, and lines that can be recontextualized in a variety of fashions-- surreal, hyper-literal, non-sequitor. You can insert other memes into it, or any one part of it into another meme. There are multiple notes for jokes-- the concept of steamed hams and various cons pulled around them, Aurora Borealis (itself a three-note joke from absurdist comment, to Chalmer's incredulity, to the "may I see it"/"no" cap), the regional dialect exchange, Agnes' screams and Skinner's reassurance at the end--which allows for heavy versatility for short or long-form remixes. Other memetic exchanges in the Simpsons don't reach that level. The Dud goes pretty far, Hibbert is an easy insert, and personally I think the Frogurt Shopkeep has way more potential than is being used for, but none have proven to really "go the distance" yet.

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 18:22 on Jan 5, 2018

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I wonder how it works in other languages. In Latin American Spanish they go for almejas al vapor/hamburguejas al vapor so it definitely works

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Calaveron posted:

I wonder how it works in other languages. In Latin American Spanish they go for almejas al vapor/hamburguejas al vapor so it definitely works

En français they change it to salmon so it's saumon vapeur/jambon vapeur

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Calaveron posted:

because despite all its flaws it's a sublime scene.
Consider already the very first line superintendent Chalmers says to Skinner.
"Well Seymour, I made it. Despite your directions."
It's an insult right away, but Skinner is determined not to let it ruin his chances of making a good impression, despite it seeming like all is lost so he greets the superintendent with a cheerful greeting.
But Chalmers is still in a bad mood, and as Skinner goes to check on the roast all seems for naught as his roast is on fire, until he gets the idea to go to krustyburger and disguise that food as his own cooking, however Chalmers nearly catches him in the act.
Now here is where the genius of the scene starts to dawn on you, as Skinner is over-eager to please he has neglected to turn off his oven (this will have a payoff later, just keep this in mind for later) and there is smoke coming out of the oven. Chalmers asks why this is, but Skinner claims it to be steamed for they are to be having steamed clams, despite the house at this point obviously smelling like burnt roast Chalmers accept this answer.
Chalmers, now convinced, returns to the dining room as Skinner buys burgers, then enters with them into the dining room and says "I hope you're prepared for mouth-watering hamburgers."
Then, the well known exchange takes place, I won't repeat the lines here, but there is a part where Chalmers states "and you call them steamed hams despite the fact that they are obviously grilled."
Now then, here is the interesting part of this. Chalmers had seen what he thought was smoke but then was convinced was steam, because Skinner said he was making steamed clams despite the fact that the house was smelling like burnt roast.
But now he is eating grilled hamburgers?
Obviously Chalmers has suffered some kind of mental breakdown and is no longer able to distinguish reality from fantasy.
Then he sees the fire in the kitchen but he doesn't know for sure what is going on there so he asks. And is convinced that there is aurora borealis, at this time of year at this time of day and located entirely within Skinners kitchen. He asks to see it to assure his mind but he is refused and instead opts to leave.

So despite the glaring flaw where Chalmers takes a bite of the burger but then shows it off to Skinner and there being no bite-mark on the burger patty itself, this might be the best scene in family guy.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Calaveron posted:

Had to look it up, but it doesn't work in Russian. They've just tranlated hams and clams literally.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I'm not joking when I say I would actually love to hear more about how this scene was localized into other languages.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's also done by Azaria and Shearer who are comic legends.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

teamjack
Apr 1, 2010

Only Judy can judge me.
WWJD.

Just perfect.

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Calaveron posted:

My experience in the Simpsons Shitposting groups suggest that they just say "culo" for every word.

a post that, now that I think about it, I am surprised I have not seen