Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
It's
A
DC port

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

pos and neg my dc port

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

Disabled the touchscreen on my xps 15 via device manager. As far as I could tell its only purpose was to gently caress up the layout of certain websites when the browser reported that my poo poo was touch-capable

I use the touchscreen on my xps15 to the point that I start pawing at non touchscreens

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Shaggar posted:

I use the touchscreen on my xps15 to the point that I start pawing at non touchscreens

noted bad opinion haver shaggar likes laptop touchscreens guys

pram
Jun 10, 2001
touchscreen laptops are disgusting trash

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

pram posted:

:yeah:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pram posted:

nope

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

buy 4k version and disable touch in bios

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Tankakern posted:

buy 4k version and disable touch in bios

then hate life as your applications scale wrong and look wonky.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I have the 4k with touch enabled and its gr8

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

then hate life as your applications scale wrong and look wonky.

or just use linux

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Tankakern posted:

or just use linux

^this

since linux applications scale wrong and look wonky at any DPI, 4k is a lateral move

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

I have the 4k with touch enabled and its gr8

do you also struggle with the same batter woes as me

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
the only scaling issue ive had is with Plex UI, it worked fine at some point, then they updated Plex and it broke and everything is tiny

but in general there arent any other scaling issues that i see

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

yall dypping lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Valeyard posted:

do you also struggle with the same batter woes as me

I haven't had any battery problems on either my 9560 or 9550

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Valeyard posted:

the only scaling issue ive had is with Plex UI, it worked fine at some point, then they updated Plex and it broke and everything is tiny

but in general there arent any other scaling issues that i see

the problem is not actually DPI scaling in windows, its that software is claiming that it can handle dpi scaling itself when it actually cant. You can tell windows to ignore the application's requested DPI mode in the compatibility tab on the executable properties.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Shaggar posted:

the problem is not actually DPI scaling in windows, its that software is claiming that it can handle dpi scaling itself when it actually cant. You can tell windows to ignore the application's requested DPI mode in the compatibility tab on the executable properties.

lol wtf is it opt-in and app publishers are just pretending?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah its an opt in manifest setting and they just set it to true because they don't know what the setting is. for example: QT (a bad UI framework used by a lot of software) sets it by default without the developer even being aware.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i ran a battery report (didnt know you could make windows generate this nice looking html report) and lol it really has degraded quite badly

PERIOD FULL CHARGE CAPACITY DESIGN CAPACITY
2016-10-17 73,884 mWh 83,995 mWh
2018-01-04 51,494 mWh 83,995 mWh

even out of the box it wasnt hitting anywhere close to its full capacity - is that normal lol

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

again, out of the box it was estimating less than 4 hours, jesus christ lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
my 9560 is at 89,205 mWh of 97,003 mWh after a little over a year.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

my 9560 is at 89,205 mWh of 97,003 mWh after a little over a year.

huh, mine was that degraded literally out of the wrapping

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
touch screen is useful for testing shameful mobile app poo poo but that is literally all it is good for

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
did u get a refurb or somethin? have them send you a replacement. they're pretty easy to swap out

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i could develop a native android app and deal with the trench effect-fueled blue flamed dumpster fire that is the android sdk and its emulators, or i could do some cordova trash and instantly test it within chrome

doing a user interface using css and javascript is actually a preferable experience to trying to do one natively. that's how badly they hosed up.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Valeyard posted:

huh, mine was that degraded literally out of the wrapping

Mine is fairly similar: 87,438 mWh / 97,003 mWh

And shows the same levels since I got it in May. I think I know why though. These laptops have an option in bios to extend battery longevity for machines that spend most of their time on A/C power. It accomplishes this by charging to less than 100% capacity to reduce wear. This is transparent to the OS.

I've had mine set to 'on' since it does spend most of its time plugged in on my desk. The default is some kind of 'autodetect', though, so if you spend a lot of time on a/c it may be turned on. You can try going into bios and explicitly shutting it off, then see if your capacity improves after a discharge/charge cycle.

burning swine fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 5, 2018

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I checked my 9550.

original capacity: 83,813 mWh of 83,995 mWh
current capacity: 45,440 mWh of 83,995 mWh

lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Shaggar posted:

I checked my 9550.

lol

same but different values

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

I checked my 9550.

lol

ahhhhh thats more like it, ive got a 9550 too

what were the battery life estiamtes, near the bottom, like?

Valeyard fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 6, 2018

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its estimating an average of 2:19 (4:17 design capacity)

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
drat lol

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

do dell still claim 12 hours (WiFi off, screen brightness at minimum)?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

as soon as you let OEMs touch the product, you're hosed

but this worked so well for Microsoft with MSX

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
apparently dell is sending out free batteries even out of warranty for the 9550 as a proactive thing against swelling. go to https://www.dellproduct.com and put in ur service tag

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Hey Cortana, open Alexa

fml

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
also, hp makes something even dumber than the macpro

what if a speaker, but we stuck an entire pc, fans and all, in it?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

also, hp makes something even dumber than the macpro

what if a speaker, but we stuck an entire pc, fans and all, in it?

that is way less stupid for the simple reason that it costs $499, a price point where a focus on size and integration may make sense to some consumers

the mac mini notably made a lot of sense as a machine despite having some similar issues to the mac pro (slow gpus, focus on design/size over expandability, failure to cater to pro user needs, etc.)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

what does it do that a raspberry in a mostly empty case cannot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

everyones gotta copy apple, even if it makes absolutely no sense