Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Not one person here has asked me about this. :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sickening posted:

I think I just got the go ahead the nuke all virus scan software... the dream is live.

loving hell. You've reached the promised land. Is it true there are rainbows roads and unicorns?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I did the same, all I got back was they are in direct contact with McAfee and expect to have a statement later today.

I already know that the agent itself is woefully out of date (scanning is offloaded, so the offload scanner is current at least) so I'm really not expecting a swift response on this even if they do get a patch soon.

I'm also pushing for the nuking of AV on the servers as it never should have been there to begin with.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I’m pushing up my migration from Malwarebytes to Defender ATP from next month to next week.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
We've already begun patching everyone. Our response to people bitching about the mandatory forced restart was "suck it up and deal with it."

We also got the go-ahead to force the hundred odd people on older OSes to update to latest, so that's a nice silver lining.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
For everyone saying they're on Sophos; sounds like we get a patch tomorrow which pushes the reg key. Claims of "sometime next week" are hopefully false and just informed by support people that have no idea what's going on.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The real question is, did they test well enough?

Reg key is just the AV manufacturer giving the green light, but if they didn't test well enough, you could very well hose machines.

The fallout from AV edge cases is going to be severe I think.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

jaegerx posted:

I’m selling meltdown inside stickers. Who wants one?

I'm interested, I'd get a few.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
I've already started delaying our patches because I'm just going to go ahead and assume McAfee won't be able to get its head out of its rear end in time to not nuke our infrastructure out of incompetence.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Inspector_666 posted:

I just messaged our security people about the AV because I know this is gonna be a "WHOA ALL OF THIS STUFF NEEDS TO BE PATCHED RIGHT NOW!" issue on Monday.

I work at a company that produces enterprise AV. I kind of want to go downstairs and listen to the Customer Support Engineers calls now.
I also can't wait to see what we do in our own house.

edit: according to our homepage, our stuff has been tested and works, but we'll be a bit more getting out patches that enable the ALLOW REGKEY. In the meantime, there are ways to enable the key manually via AD/GPO, etc.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 4, 2018

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Aunt Beth posted:

I've already started delaying our patches because I'm just going to go ahead and assume McAfee won't be able to get its head out of its rear end in time to not nuke our infrastructure out of incompetence.

I'm hoping McAfee destroys our entire environment unironically

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Hungry Computer posted:

We use Sophos, which is one with an improper reg key. The official ETA on fix from them is "Sometime next week" :negative:

The link I provided 1 page ago, they state tomorrow.

bull3964 posted:

The real question is, did they test well enough?

This is the company that DDoS'd themselves for 2 days with their own clients after an update.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 4, 2018

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

I'm also pushing for the nuking of AV on the servers as it never should have been there to begin with.
Thoughts and prayers

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Docjowles posted:

It's also like a 4 point Y axis. So while it looks bad cause OMG IT WENT FROM THE TOP OF THE GRAPH TO THE BOTTOM, it's not actually that much movement.
Yeah the change in value isn't that much. It's the volume (the graph at the bottom) that's kind of funny.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
My "poo poo" russian AV was ready to go in December. Thanks Kaspersky Labs for always being on top of poo poo, except the FUD from the US government.

Also, if you are using guest introspection in VMware for AV, you will have to manually set the key for the patch to install.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Pretty good sign that my IT career is either stalled or winding down - this all means nothing to me. I don't care. Everything's vulnerable all the time, I'm not going to worry about something which has always existed but was only just discovered. If WSUS picks up the update, I'll install it during my next patch cycle, but beyond that, shrug.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
So I got the offer letter for my same old position in house.

...these fuckers gave me a 26k raise and I'm still hourly. poo poo, I'll take it. Definitely takes the sting out of the other stuff.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Pretty good sign that my IT career is either stalled or winding down - this all means nothing to me. I don't care. Everything's vulnerable all the time, I'm not going to worry about something which has always existed but was only just discovered. If WSUS picks up the update, I'll install it during my next patch cycle, but beyond that, shrug.

Plus it's not like anybody can blame us for this poo poo. Last week Intel was the industry standard, not our fault they cut corners. And it's not being actively exploited.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

"Nobody gets fired for buying IBM."

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Internet Explorer posted:

"Nobody gets fired for buying IBM."

Power8 for the win

mewse
May 2, 2006

jaegerx posted:

Power8 for the win

I actually attended a sales pitch recently where they were trying to plug IBM power architecture. The new star wars movie was good, I don't know about the other stuff.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We have a Power8, or iSeries, or AS400, or whatever IBM is calling it now. The thing never goes down, runs like a champ. Having a parts depo like 5 miles away is nice too.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Is the Enterprise Storage thread broken for everyone else? There is some irony in this. What did you do, Methanar? :argh:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2943669&pagenumber=189#lastpost

"The page number you requested does not exist in this thread."

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Docjowles posted:

Is the Enterprise Storage thread broken for everyone else? There is some irony in this. What did you do, Methanar? :argh:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2943669&pagenumber=189#lastpost

"The page number you requested does not exist in this thread."

If you try to reply, it shows the last comment of 188 as the last comment in the thread. Does it fail if you try to post a reply?

I think sometimes comments just end up sucked into the void, and they screw up things if they're the first or last comment on a page.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's definitely broken, I reported the issue here - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837378&pagenumber=4&perpage=40#post479945470

Seems different than the usual. Usually it's just off by one and posting in the thread is enough to fix it. There's been 6 new posts and it's still broken.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, what's funny is if you filter the thread down to individuals, you can see their post on the phantom page.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, what's funny is if you filter the thread down to individuals, you can see their post on the phantom page.

A Spectre is haunting the forum.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ars has a really good write up of spectre/meltdown

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/meltdown-and-spectre-heres-what-intel-apple-microsoft-others-are-doing-about-it/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I don't understand the fried egg on a sidewalk picture

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't understand the fried egg on a sidewalk picture

This is your brain.

This is your brain in IT.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

This is your brainCPU on drugsMeltdown.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Recruiter talk. I'm working with two recruiters right now who clearly show the difference between good recruiters and bad recruiters. The good one actively listens to my experience and relates that to changes he'd like to see on my resume that accentuate those qualities. He's not willing to change my resume but wants me to do it to make sure it's 100% accurate and reflects my work.

The other guy is extremely patronizing and is acting like this opportunity is my first IT job and that I'm way out of my league. He said my salary requirement was too high because of the salary of my last two positions (which I lied about anyway). When I challenged him and told him my salary ask was in line with averages for the role and location, and my pay should be determined by the quality of work I provide to the company and not my previous employer's ability to compensate what I bring to the table, he kept hammering on the fact that the jump in salary was too big.

The company wants to interview me anyway so he sent this template of common questions and answers, like I'd never successfully completed an interview before. On the template he highlights two questions about salary, nudging me to go soft on salary requirements and putting the company in a position to negotiate me down. He also included a question about why I'm looking for this new role. I told the recruiter why I was looking at this opportunity, and he is telling me to lie and say the exact opposite thing in the interview because he thinks it will increase my chances to get the job.

Yeah buddy, let's lie during the interview right off the bat. That's the best way to determine if this role is right for me and whether I'll be happy working there. You moron.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Recruiter talk. I'm working with two recruiters right now who clearly show the difference between good recruiters and bad recruiters. The good one actively listens to my experience and relates that to changes he'd like to see on my resume that accentuate those qualities. He's not willing to change my resume but wants me to do it to make sure it's 100% accurate and reflects my work.

The other guy is extremely patronizing and is acting like this opportunity is my first IT job and that I'm way out of my league. He said my salary requirement was too high because of the salary of my last two positions (which I lied about anyway). When I challenged him and told him my salary ask was in line with averages for the role and location, and my pay should be determined by the quality of work I provide to the company and not my previous employer's ability to compensate what I bring to the table, he kept hammering on the fact that the jump in salary was too big.

The company wants to interview me anyway so he sent this template of common questions and answers, like I'd never successfully completed an interview before. On the template he highlights two questions about salary, nudging me to go soft on salary requirements and putting the company in a position to negotiate me down. He also included a question about why I'm looking for this new role. I told the recruiter why I was looking at this opportunity, and he is telling me to lie and say the exact opposite thing in the interview because he thinks it will increase my chances to get the job.

Yeah buddy, let's lie during the interview right off the bat. That's the best way to determine if this role is right for me and whether I'll be happy working there. You moron.

Hey, what's important here is that HE gets paid, and he gets paid if you get hired. He doesn't care if you are a good fit, or if you like the job, he just needs you to sign the paperwork and GTFO of his office so he can work on getting the next dude hired.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Microsoft KB addressing Meltdown is loving with our NAC lmao

e: :laffo: gently caress everything https://kb.pulsesecure.net/articles/Pulse_Secure_Article/KB43600

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 5, 2018

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I'm sure everyone has had a manager that talks out of both sides of their mouth before, right?
Well mine does, and today I caught him in a doozy:

We're renovating the building and need to move to a new location temporarily.
The new location also needs to be renovated before we can move in. Walls need to be ripped out and network infrastructure needs to be installed.

Monday, a team is going to the new building to rip out walls. I volunteered some of my personal time (outside of work hours) to help them do some demolition. I also volunteered to run the network infrastructure in the new space because I can probably get it done in about a weekend.

Manager tells me that I am not to run cabling in the new space. We must hire our contractor for that. (It'll probably get subcontracted back down to me anyway because I also work for our contractor, but whatever).
Then he tells me that instead of spending my personal time to help demo the new space, I should instead volunteer my personal time to work on IT projects instead.

...like running cable in the new location?
"Yes, exactly."
So do you want me to run cable in the new location?
"No, we need to hire our contractor for that."
So, you just want me to come into the office early then?
"No you can't come in early just because you want to"
So, then you don't mind if I go volunteer my personal time to sledgehammer some walls? Actually... I don't care if you mind. I'm volunteering my personal time to wreck some poo poo.
"Okay, but I think it would be better if you volunteered to work on some IT projects instead."

:thunk:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

To end cap this excellent week in tech news, HP is recalling a bunch of laptop batteries because they're exploding: https://batteryprogram687.ext.hp.com/

quote:

Notebook Product Names for batteries that may be affected
The following table provides a list of HP products affected by this recall. HP encourages you to validate all batteries shipped with the notebook computer, purchased as accessories, or provided as replacements through HP or an authorized Service Provider.

ProBook
HP Probook 640 G2 HP ProBook 640 G3
HP ProBook 645 G2 HP ProBook 645 G3
HP ProBook 650 G2 HP ProBook 650 G3
HP ProBook 655 G2 HP ProBook 655 G3

ZBook
HP ZBook 17 G3 HP ZBook 17 G4
HP ZBook Studio G3

x360
HP x360 310 G2

Pavilion
HP Pavilion x360

Envy
HP ENVY m6

HP 11 Notebook PC

And as always, the HP website URL never disappoints.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

e: :laffo: gently caress everything https://kb.pulsesecure.net/articles/Pulse_Secure_Article/KB43600

i found the problem and want to die

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's good to know. I have a customer that uses that feature and they would have been in for a rude surprise once they get the MS patch rolled out.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

If it makes you feel any better, installing the patched Linux kernel on any CentOS 6 VM's running under the XenServer hypervisor renders them unbootable. We're all in this poo poo together. https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/392239-new-centos-6-kernel-fails-to-boot-on-xenserver-65/?page=0#comment-1995401

computers were a mistake

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Sirotan posted:

To end cap this excellent week in tech news, HP is recalling a bunch of laptop batteries because they're exploding: https://batteryprogram687.ext.hp.com/

Ah hahahahahaha My entire company is HP computers :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sirotan posted:

Nice. A little over a third of my laptops are those ProBooks