Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

TjyvTompa posted:

I don't understand the map generator, sometimes it generates very many barbarians and the AI really can't handle it. If you want harder opposition from the AI without giving them the ridiculous bonuses the harder difficulties give them try turning barbarians off.

If the barbarians spawn near horses then the AI just can't handle it. Hell, I can barely handle it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Taear posted:

If the barbarians spawn near horses then the AI just can't handle it. Hell, I can barely handle it.

Horse barbs are the loving worst. One of many really stupid design decisions. (I still maintain Joint Wars should be moved way the gently caress back to after Alliances and require both a standing Alliance of 10 turns, and 10 turn standing Denounces/a legit casus from both parties.)

This game is so frustrating because it could be so good if the developers didn't insist on taking a sledgehammer to its knees every time it so much as starts to walk. I wish I knew how to mod this crap away. Is there any kind of a tutorial on how to mod Civ VI anywhere?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Horse barbs are the loving worst. One of many really stupid design decisions. (I still maintain Joint Wars should be moved way the gently caress back to after Alliances and require both a standing Alliance of 10 turns, and 10 turn standing Denounces/a legit casus from both parties.)

This game is so frustrating because it could be so good if the developers didn't insist on taking a sledgehammer to its knees every time it so much as starts to walk. I wish I knew how to mod this crap away. Is there any kind of a tutorial on how to mod Civ VI anywhere?

civfanatics?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Not really. There are a bunch of little tutorials that don't really cover the basic structure. The main challenge you face while modding is navigating the opaque and labyrinthine modding system they've set up.

One hint: don't use the mod tools Firaxis supplies. That just creates an instantly broken mod that the game rejects. At least that is what it did when I stopped trying a year ago.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

MarquiseMindfang posted:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/categories/civ6-modding-tutorials-reference.150/

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Someone who isn't a neckbeard isn't a fan of the Cree Nation being in Civ6. I'm not sure what the fella expects out of the franchise, though.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Aerdan posted:

Someone who isn't a neckbeard isn't a fan of the Cree Nation being in Civ6. I'm not sure what the fella expects out of the franchise, though.

Milton Tootoosis also leads the Cree in Sid Meier's: Civilization VI. His leader ability is called "Giant Baby". Other civs who acknowledge that his people existed are immediately denounced, and he starts the game inside his own butt.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I recall that when Firaxis was working on Civ V expansions they talked to the Pueblo nation and were asked not to put them in. I wonder if they just didn't bother asking the Cree nation this time around or if they did and this guy just doesn't agree with whoever gave them the green light.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Being from the other side of the planet and coming from a different culture/country, I was never taught anything about any North American native culture, and I didn't even know The Cree even existed. Now, I do.

This guy needs to stop being such a baby and see what an opportunity this is to get a whole tonne of people interested in a culture that they otherwise would have never heard of.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Roger Explosion posted:

Being from the other side of the planet and coming from a different culture/country, I was never taught anything about any North American native culture, and I didn't even know The Cree even existed. Now, I do.

Same

edit: it also look like a really OP civ

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Straight White Shark posted:

I recall that when Firaxis was working on Civ V expansions they talked to the Pueblo nation and were asked not to put them in. I wonder if they just didn't bother asking the Cree nation this time around or if they did and this guy just doesn't agree with whoever gave them the green light.

When they went to find a Hopi speaker for the leader screen they were told that either their language or the leader( Pope') was sacred. Maybe both.

I'm assuming they just didn't officially ask any council this time. I think the actual music for the Cree in the game is performed by what I assume are Cree people if this video is to be believed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVuZQ69ZaFM

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 5, 2018

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, the music was performed by some of Poundmaker's extended family, who seemed to really enjoy their meeting and stuff, so it might just be that guy in particular who disagrees, or at least the feeling not being universal among the Cree involved.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

So Civ 6 with the Australia and Vikings DLC is the main Humble Monthly game for next month.
Seeing as I literally just bought it for $40 on the Xmas sale, and have only played it 112 minutes so far, is there anything stopping me from refunding it and re-adding it once I get the monthly key?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Aerdan posted:

Someone in the comments linked this article: https://globalnews.ca/news/3945188/poundmaker-cree-nation-video-game-civilzation/
which seems much less incendiary in its claims and has more contextualized quotes from the guy.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

So Civ 6 with the Australia and Vikings DLC is the main Humble Monthly game for next month.
Seeing as I literally just bought it for $40 on the Xmas sale, and have only played it 112 minutes so far, is there anything stopping me from refunding it and re-adding it once I get the monthly key?

That you wouldn't save any money if you went and did that, then got the rest of the DLC? The rest of the DLC at full price would be about $28, so you'd end up spending $40 total anyway.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

The rest of the DLC will probably go on sale within a month to capitalize on both the new humble monthly players and hype for the Rise and Fall expansion, though, and isn't really essential. Plus the humble monthly comes with mystery games so even if you buy the rest of the DLC at full price you get extra stuff for your $40. Refund it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Someone in the comments linked this article: https://globalnews.ca/news/3945188/poundmaker-cree-nation-video-game-civilzation/
which seems much less incendiary in its claims and has more contextualized quotes from the guy.

quote:

Milton Tootoosis, an elected headman-councillor with the Poundmaker Cree Nation, said he is concerned about how a company unaffiliated with their community will profit from their stories and iconic figures.

“We are challenging any individuals or groups that have taken into their possession artifacts – or stories in this case – for commercial purposes and for profit without consulting our community,” Tootoosis said.

Sorry 2K. Milton Tootoosis owns those pieces of human history.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

The Human Crouton posted:

every country in the world has cause to sue firaxis i suppose

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Maybe Firaxis has been avoiding putting the Hittites in recently because there is only one Hittite left, and he is a very good lawyer.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

That you wouldn't save any money if you went and did that, then got the rest of the DLC? The rest of the DLC at full price would be about $28, so you'd end up spending $40 total anyway.

What DLC?

The sale price was $40 CAD for the base game with no DLC.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Roger Explosion posted:

This guy needs to stop being such a baby and see what an opportunity this is to get a whole tonne of people interested in a culture that they otherwise would have never heard of.

That's easy to say, but understand that Native peoples in the Americas have been subject to genocides, both cultural and literal, and are in many ways discriminated against. Their opinion on what constitutes offense or harm to their culture is likely very different than what some gaming nerd thinks, and I'd argue, is probably worth far more weight.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

What DLC?

The sale price was $40 CAD for the base game with no DLC.

Oh, really? It was on sale for $40 USD for the Digital Deluxe version, which comes with all the DLC. If you just got the base game, no DLC, then yeah, refund it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

The Human Crouton posted:

That complaint is part of a broader discussion on cultural appropriation currently going on in the Canadian First Nations communities (and probably others, I'm not that informed). I don't agree with it or the way it's framed, in part because it leads to (and is sometimes based on) the idea that pieces of knowledge belong to specific people and can only be related by specific people which I find very troublesome, but it's very boilerplate way of phrasing that complaint. "challenging" can be read anywhere on the spectrum from "standing in staunch opposition" to 'asking people to consider our perspective".

He also says

quote:

Tootoosis said the inclusion of Poundmaker is an example of cultural appropriation, but he acknowledged the depiction of the chief shown in the game’s trailer is largely positive.
“I was quite impressed that they would make reference to Chief Poundmaker as a diplomat and as an individual who played a key role in the development of this new nation called Canada,” he said.
Tootoosis also said the game will likely create widespread interest in Poundmaker, which could lead to better public awareness of the Plains Cree.
Which sounds like the complaint is more about consultation and dialogue than actual content.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
It doesn't seem too far-fetched to have civs whose bonuses are heavily balanced in favor of internal expansion- something like having big bonuses when not involved in a war they've declared or something.

Removing expansion in a game about real-life civilization, which itself has primarily been about expansion, doesn't seem appropriate. But having individual civs that don't play to that mechanic might be interesting.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Hogama posted:

Poundmaker leads the Cree.

Civilization Unique Ability: Nihithaw - +1 Trade Route capacity and a free Trader with the Pottery technology. Unclaimed tiles within 3 tiles of a Cree city come under Cree control when a Trader first moves into them.
Leader Unique Ability: Favorable Terms - All Alliance types provide Shared Visibility. Trade Routes grant Poundmaker +1 Food in the sending city per Camp or Pasture in the receiving city. Trade Routes grant Poundmaker +1 Gold in the receiving city per Camp or Pasture in the receiving city.
Civilization Unique Unit: Okihtcitaw - Replaces the Scout. Receives a free Promotion and has additional combat strength.
Civilization Unique Improvement: Mekewap - Provides Housing and Production, Gold when adjacent to a luxury resource, and Food when adjacent to a bonus resource.

This looks fun. Great for bigger maps.

Only gripe is I'd still like to see some Civs utilize the tundra terrain more and this could have been one of them.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnZPWuKpkXk

Statue of Liberty gives you settlers apparently. :confuoot:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I'm not sure why that's confusing

“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore,” she wrote. “Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

aka: yo, come settle here we got tons of space (that may or may not have belonged to someone else first)

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Already been somewhat addressed, but, there's a lot of reason for Cree people to be a bit leery of how they will be treated in media, and there is a very close connection between him and his nation. It would have been nice if the devs went through the proper avenues with elders and such. However, it seems like the devs really tried to be decent about it, and Tootoosis is kinda tilting at windmills. Personally, Poundmaker is one of my two favourite oldschool chiefs, and I am looking forward to playing him when Civ 6 is cheap enough for me to actually buy.

Tiberius Thyben fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 6, 2018

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm not sure why that's confusing

“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore,” she wrote. “Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

aka: yo, come settle here we got tons of space (that may or may not have belonged to someone else first)

It makes sense, just not sure how useful late industrial era settlers are.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
As an American, I'm appalled that I wasn't consulted for America's inclusion in this video game.

Of course, if you talk to me and pay my consultation fee, I'm sure we can smooth things over.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It makes sense, just not sure how useful late industrial era settlers are.

Oh, right :downs:

Good point.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

I just noticed something, from the background of Rise and Fall, are they going to make the Great Arch from Arches National Park into a Natural Wonder?

Also if I bought the ultimate edition do I get this expansion or do I have to finally pay them again for more civs and poo poo?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Tiberius Thyben posted:

when Civ 6 is cheap enough for me to actually buy.

I don't know what your budget is, but it's currently $12 if you buy Humble Monthly and then immediately unsubscribe. It's probably not going to get much cheaper than that.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

rujasu posted:

I don't know what your budget is, but it's currently $12 if you buy Humble Monthly and then immediately unsubscribe. It's probably not going to get much cheaper than that.

From what I've heard, the game as it is is not quite as good as 5 so far. I can get the base for 12 and two throwaway DLC, but they are coming out with an overhaul DLC (with the one faction I am kinda interested in) right away and there will probably be another DLC later, so 'eh. I'll wait until I can get a complete game for, like, 20-30 dollars total, which I am aware won't be for a few years, but I'm in no rush.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I want to give this game another shot, are there any mods out that at least put a bandaid on the AI's warmongering and general unpleasantness?
Or really any must-use mods at all?

I'm assuming the real answer will be to just wait and see what Rise & Fall brings, hoping it actually makes the AI serviceable.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Not sure about gameplay mods but "community quick UI" or whatever it's called now is great for smoothing over a lot of the worst elements

e: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1125169247

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Deakul posted:

I'm assuming the real answer will be to just wait and see what Rise & Fall brings, hoping it actually makes the AI serviceable.

rise and fall looks like it layers a lot more systems on top of systems that don't work right as it is, but i think in general players are cautiously optimistic. you have nothing to lose by waiting, though

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Statue of Liberty sounds useless. It sounds like a good wonder for a city on a new continent, but what city will be on a new continent with enough production to build a wonder in the industrrial era?

Only good if you have a border coastal city and you want to slightly improve your chances of snagging one close by opposing city.

Might be the worst wonder. I wish they'd give us the actual stats of what it does instead of a vague overview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The statue of liberty should be a wonder you build and then give to someone else

Then get a DOF out of it or favorable trade deals or something