Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

FireMrshlBill posted:

Am I the only person who enjoyed Hunters? It was pretty much the first handheld game I played with any regularity and definitely the first one I beat. One of my college roommates let me borrow it and his original DS after he upgraded to a Lite, and I was hooked on it. It was the reason I bought myself a DS and then went back and got into previous handhelds since I was basically console/PC only growing up (minus those cheap Tiger handheld games that you'd take on road trips to play while listening to your walkman).

I actually played and enjoyed a few FPS games on DS afterwards because of Hunters: Goldeneye Rogue Agent, King Kong, etc.

It was very good as a proof-of-concept of a portable FPS (I was basically marveling at the time that it was like they'd ported Unreal, almost), but the recycled bosses and the uninspired environments made it feel pretty slapdash.

The multiplayer was fun until everyone started hacking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Weedle posted:

So is the pee tape real or what

$19.99 on Switch eshop

Launches 2/2/18

i can't say any more

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

The Bloop posted:

$19.99 on Switch eshop

Launches 2/2/18

i can't say any more

That would be the best birthday present I've gotten since 1994 when my uncle got me a Gameboy.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
Anyone else excited for Lost Sphere? And also the eventual port for Battlechasers. I bought it on PS4 but I only played it for like 15 minutes before I started my "gotta get me a Switch" campaign.

I am very happy with the console so far. Been playing BotW and have yet to unwrap SMO. Hopefully those will hold me over until something comes out on the eShop that I can get into.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Akarshi posted:

Is LA Noire still on sale? Is it worth getting at the sale price? I hear that it's not all that good at being an open-world game, but decent at being a detective game. Just beat Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and trying to figure out what to play next.

It's a really flawed game but it's still really enjoyable. I plan to get it on switch but I don't want to pay more than $20. I already played it though. 30-40 seems fair.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I've been kind of lukewarm on I Am Setsuna so I'm a bit wary of Lost Sphear to be honest. How alike are they?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I call it ess em bee or Mario 1 depending on who I'm talking to

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I've been kind of lukewarm on I Am Setsuna so I'm a bit wary of Lost Sphear to be honest. How alike are they?

I think Lost Sphere is more traditional and less somber in tone maybe? In either case, the game play and combat are supposedly very similar to Chrono Trigger/I Am Setsuna style.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Akarshi posted:

Is LA Noire still on sale? Is it worth getting at the sale price? I hear that it's not all that good at being an open-world game, but decent at being a detective game. Just beat Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and trying to figure out what to play next.

I’m about 75-80% of the way through the story and I would say it’s good, but not great. Some thoughts:

- Structurally it’s more like Mafia than Grand Theft Auto; it takes place on a large open map, but the sequence of events is largely quite linear and there’s not much reason to explore the map while in story mode. There is a separate free-roam mode unlocked at the end of each chapter where you can drive around searching for collectibles and responding to street crimes, but I don’t care about collectibles and I did all the street crimes during the regular story, so I haven’t spent much time in this mode.

- A lot of the gameplay is pretty similar to Ace Attorney, where you’re exploring an environment looking for clues and/or interrogating suspects and witnesses, trying to get as much information as you can out of them and catch them in lies if necessary. I think Ace Attorney is better at this, though; the questioning in L.A. Noire often feels like you’re just taking stabs in the dark. It’s also possible, however, that I’m just too dumb.

- There are also more action-oriented segments in which you have to tail or chase someone on foot or in a car, or get into a shootout with some criminals or something. If you’ve played a Grand Theft Auto game, you know pretty much exactly what to expect from these segments. They’re fine, I guess. Nothing spectacular, but reasonably entertaining if you like that sort of thing, and if you don’t, you can skip them after three failed attempts.

- The writing is about as bad as I expected from a Rockstar game. They do their typical thing of putting a bunch of loathsome characters together, having them treat each other like garbage, and present it as a Mature Narrative, except this time there’s a hefty dose of period-accurate racism and misogyny.

- It takes a long time to get going. I was definitely not digging it much until I got to the Homicide desk; before that, you have to go through the Patrolman cases (basically tutorials that introduce you to the main types of gameplay the later cases will consist of) and Traffic cases, most of which are pretty rote and boring. Things really amp up once you get to Homicide, though; that chapter and the subsequent ones have continuous plots that link the cases and make what you’re doing feel much more meaningful.

- It’s fun to recognize people in the cast. Mickey Cohen is played by the guy from Mulholland Drive who has the dream about the dumpster person behind the Denny’s. He doesn’t look anything like the real Mickey Cohen but his performance is a treat.

Ultimately, I’m enjoying the game and I think it’s worth a buy, even at the full $50. It’s not as good as I expected, but it’s a game I’ve wanted to play since it was announced and am just now getting the opportunity, so I probably hyped it up to myself more than I should have. It’s certainly more than the sum of its parts.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The expectation is that they learned from the feedback from I Am Setsuna, but we won't know til it launches.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Lost Sphear has a demo. The combat's twist is that you can manually position your unit when you select your attack.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Weedle posted:

I’m about 75-80% of the way through the story and I would say it’s good, but not great. Some thoughts:

- Structurally it’s more like Mafia than Grand Theft Auto; it takes place on a large open map, but the sequence of events is largely quite linear and there’s not much reason to explore the map while in story mode. There is a separate free-roam mode unlocked at the end of each chapter where you can drive around searching for collectibles and responding to street crimes, but I don’t care about collectibles and I did all the street crimes during the regular story, so I haven’t spent much time in this mode.

God yes. It should never have been an open world game.

quote:

- The writing is about as bad as I expected from a Rockstar game. They do their typical thing of putting a bunch of loathsome characters together, having them treat each other like garbage, and present it as a Mature Narrative, except this time there’s a hefty dose of period-accurate racism and misogyny.

If I recall, the Arson guy was the only partner who wasn't a piece of poo poo. And maybe the coroner, for supporting cast.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

God yes. It should never have been an open world game.

If I recall, the Arson guy was the only partner who wasn't a piece of poo poo. And maybe the coroner, for supporting cast.

I’m not too deep into the Arson cases yet, but he hasn’t said anything too horrendous so far, so he’s #1 partner in my book. The coroner is legit, too.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I'm playing though the Japanese version of Lost Sphear now and I like it but I'm not wild about it. The battle system feels like an overworked, unfocused mess and the writing is uneven. I don't think they use the lost memories in a very interesting way either. The comparatively low budget shows, too.

That said, it *is* better than Setsuna, and thankfully you don't have to grind out kills with every different element and whatever. The music and locations are far more varied. I'm finding it enjoyable enough that I will beat it, where I stopped playing Setsuna after about 5 hours.

I'll probably do a more detailed write up when I finish, but I'd say that if you liked Setsuna, or *almost* liked Setsuna, it's better, so give it a shot.

If they do another game, and it's improved over this one like this was improved over Setsuna, I'd be very happy. I think they really need like another 500k and some person with a vision to focus their efforts.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Speaking of colored joycons, anyone interested in swapping out your Right Neon Blue for my Right Neon Red?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Tae posted:

Lost Sphear has a demo. The combat's twist is that you can manually position your unit when you select your attack.

I like that change at least. Early on in Setsuna I went looking online for any info on positioning your dudes since it seemed like it'd have to be a thing since all the abilities are line AoE attacks and PBAoE heals and stuff.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

a lot of people have said iffy things about Lost Sphear and I def see the "low budget" takes being true. Octopath Traveler has a much more appealing art style and will probably be closer to Bravely Default or old school RPGs. I'd love for Lost Sphear to be fun though because I like a Chrono Trigger-style combat system with 4 people in a party.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
50 bucks for lost sphear is a deal breaker, gently caress that

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Tae posted:

50 bucks for lost sphear is a deal breaker, gently caress that

For 10 more you get a not stupid title, I hear

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

any news on a darkest dungeon release date?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Is splatoon 2 that good? I heard people talking about it a lot in the past but have barely heard a peep about it as of late.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
It's rad!

splat splat splat

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Knifegrab posted:

Is splatoon 2 that good? I heard people talking about it a lot in the past but have barely heard a peep about it as of late.

It's very active, but people actually use its thread for discussion, or the discord. It's a very good game that's still riding high on weekly content releases

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/949400851126325254

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Weedle posted:

- A lot of the gameplay is pretty similar to Ace Attorney, where you’re exploring an environment looking for clues and/or interrogating suspects and witnesses, trying to get as much information as you can out of them and catch them in lies if necessary. I think Ace Attorney is better at this, though; the questioning in L.A. Noire often feels like you’re just taking stabs in the dark. It’s also possible, however, that I’m just too dumb.

- There are also more action-oriented segments in which you have to tail or chase someone on foot or in a car, or get into a shootout with some criminals or something. If you’ve played a Grand Theft Auto game, you know pretty much exactly what to expect from these segments. They’re fine, I guess. Nothing spectacular, but reasonably entertaining if you like that sort of thing, and if you don’t, you can skip them after three failed attempts.

- It takes a long time to get going. I was definitely not digging it much until I got to the Homicide desk; before that, you have to go through the Patrolman cases (basically tutorials that introduce you to the main types of gameplay the later cases will consist of) and Traffic cases, most of which are pretty rote and boring. Things really amp up once you get to Homicide, though; that chapter and the subsequent ones have continuous plots that link the cases and make what you’re doing feel much more meaningful.

- It’s fun to recognize people in the cast. Mickey Cohen is played by the guy from Mulholland Drive who has the dream about the dumpster person behind the Denny’s. He doesn’t look anything like the real Mickey Cohen but his performance is a treat.

Ultimately, I’m enjoying the game and I think it’s worth a buy, even at the full $50. It’s not as good as I expected, but it’s a game I’ve wanted to play since it was announced and am just now getting the opportunity, so I probably hyped it up to myself more than I should have. It’s certainly more than the sum of its parts.

This is a good assessment. My main gripe is how wasted the GTA style open world felt, when actually exploring just felt like I was sequence breaking what was going on. Amost like I was doing something wrong. And I didn't do it much, but if you go out and explore it's kind of shocking how there are all this areas that are super complex and seem designed to have gameplay occur there, but the game never uses them Afaik.

It's a fun game from beginning to end. it just has a serious identity crisis and never really figures out what it's trying to do.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Knifegrab posted:

It's an inferior and less fun version of the 1st game. Save your $60 for something else.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 5, 2018

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

yes its great !!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

After using a handful of games with Gyro aiming I feel like it is the greatest solution to FPS on a handheld, and Doom not supporting it is really a bummer and it makes me not want to buy it.

it's also super annoying that Resident Evil Revelations supports gyro aiming, but as fair as I can tell, if you play with inverted controls there is no way to play with gyro aiming not inverted which makes absolutely no sense. it makes the game unplayable to me with gyro aiming, and aiming with the sticks feels clunky as gently caress.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Dr. Fetus posted:

It's an inferior and less fun version of the 1st game. Save your $60 for something else.

I didn't play much of the first but love 2. How is the first better? One of the things I love about it though is the salmon run mode to spice 5hings up between ranked battles.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fetus posted:

This is wrong in nearly every way. The only thing that was better in the first game was the single player campaign and that's mainly because it had one of the top boss fights in any game of any genre ever.

The second game improves on nearly everything and adds several new modes, new game types, tons of new gear, etc.

It's good.

And it's got a huge player base. I almost never have to wait more than a couple seconds for matches.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Stan Taylor posted:

I didn't play much of the first but love 2. How is the first better? One of the things I love about it though is the salmon run mode to spice 5hings up between ranked battles.

The specials were more fun to use, and the maps were a lot better. As well has having more usable weapon kits all around. The netcode in 2 is much worse, which is quite frankly an accomplishment, considering how bad 1's netcode was. And the controls in Splatoon 2 aren't nearly as responsive as the ones in Splatoon 1.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

This is a good assessment. My main gripe is how wasted the GTA style open world felt, when actually exploring just felt like I was sequence breaking what was going on. Amost like I was doing something wrong. And I didn't do it much, but if you go out and explore it's kind of shocking how there are all this areas that are super complex and seem designed to have gameplay occur there, but the game never uses them Afaik.

It's a fun game from beginning to end. it just has a serious identity crisis and never really figures out what it's trying to do.

Yeah, exactly. I wonder if they had all sorts of big plans for a dynamic world but the game was so badly delayed already that Take Two was just like “You guys have to loving release this.” Imagine a game with the same central series of big cases but also a whole system of side quests and miscellaneous activities that you can handle as either a Good Cop or a Bad Cop. Become Frank Serpico or Terence McDonagh. I’d never stop playing.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

whens kirby

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Splatoon 2 is indeed good don't listen to the one spaz who plays it probably too much for their own good.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bob A Feet posted:

Guard it close. My mom gave me my original Gameboy color, gameboy advance, and my first DS. DS still had battery life and my animal crossing save on it. Boy were those villagers pissed.

Someone broke into my house the next week and stole them.

Tom Nook always gets his. :toughguy:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Splatoon 2 owns and is much better than the first. The net code is fine.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I turned off the battle voices in xbc2 and then it ended up being too drat quiet and weird so I turned them back on. I wish there was a happy medium (aka turn off tora) but I guess I’ll have to deal with HEALING HAYLO and MEHMEHMEH shouting in my ear for the next 60 hours.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I haven’t touched Splatoon 2 in months and I would easily recommend it to anyone. It’s an amazing game. The most fun I’ve had playing a multiplayer shooter game since me and my buddies used to play the original Halo on my college network.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Stairmaster posted:

whens kirby

Probably in March.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

is bluetooth headphone support something they can or will patch in?

I guess some headsets with USB dongles work? Anyone get theirs to?

• Locked thread