Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Huh, I didn't remember them using the term "laser sword" before Luke's dismissive line in TLJ.

Neither did I! Which is one reason I chose that bit. It works there for different reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Well this is brilliant.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

euphronius posted:

Neither did I! Which is one reason I chose that bit. It works there for different reasons.

I will confess that while I'm down on the dialogue and delivery in general, you picked a decent short exchange to hold up. The contrast between the naive but enthusiastic tow-headed boy interrogating an outsider and the wry, cagey mystic wanderer is good. At least until the cartoon minstrel show rabbit frog thing opens his mouth. :sigh:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

euphronius posted:

Liked? Who cares what I like. But ok for example most of the dialog between Gui gon and Schmi I like.

This is a great example actually since all of that chemistry and dialogue was on the actors, they've both talked about how lifeless both of their characters felt as written and how they had to go against Lucas' vision for every little point where they seemed like human beings.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Liam Neeson actually put in a performance though so fair play.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I need an army of smg clones to own nerds on Facebook and reddit

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I will confess that while I'm down on the dialogue and delivery in general, you picked a decent short exchange to hold up. The contrast between the naive but enthusiastic tow-headed boy interrogating an outsider and the wry, cagey mystic wanderer is good. At least until the cartoon minstrel show rabbit frog thing opens his mouth. :sigh:

There's a hilarious juxtaposition of Qui-Gon "joking" that Anakin has Jedi reflexes to pilot a podracer and snatching Jar Jar's tongue out of midair in the same conversation

Serf
May 5, 2011

homullus posted:

George Lucas himself asserted that ANH in particular is almost a silent film, in which the dialogue is just another sound effect that adds to your understanding of the action.

yeah i could totally see that. if there was ever a fan edit i would watch it would be that one

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

thrawn527 posted:

Well this is brilliant.

By vectrons hammer!

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

This is a great example actually since all of that chemistry and dialogue was on the actors, they've both talked about how lifeless both of their characters felt as written and how they had to go against Lucas' vision for every little point where they seemed like human beings.

You're saying that dialogue performed by actors that resulted in a good scene is actually bad and the only reason it's good is because of the actors?

What on earth?

The depths some of y'all will go to in order to avoid saying a single good thing about Lucas is genuinely incredible

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Regardless Lucas is the one who chose which take to use in the final film.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Can someone just find that quote of Lucas declaring outright that the “flat” delivery in the prequels was intentional and achieved the effect he was looking for?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The "flat" dialogue works in context of the Prequels. For most of their lives, the Jedi were peacekeepers and the aristocrats were, well, rich rear end in a top hat aristocrats. I'd imagine for the most part, Padme's life was pretty stale outside of the events of Episode 1, and stale again until Kiera Knightly blew up. Outside of Anakin, I'm certain a lot of the main players of the Prequels were having pretty boring, routine lives before the events of the film's. And I'm certain even the Jedi were thinking life would go normal after they surely won this Clone War. They had a different lifestyle to that of the main players of the OT. I bet Sheev only even thought to orchestrate both sides into a war, kill the Jedi, bring down the Republic and become Emperor was because he was so bored.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
"ANAKIN: I had a dream I was a Jedi. I came back here to free all the slaves..."

Good job on that Anakin.

Also something brought up to me last week which I had forgotten about, but with Shmi being a slave, she really should have concluded something completely different about Anakin's "father" than she did. Obviously that would have been a bit much for a movie aimed at kids, but for real ya'll.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I've always interpreted it as schmi just saying she was raped.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah I mean that's normally how you'd take that line from that character but I think textually we're supposed to take away that yet, Anikan literally was "conceived by the Force."

Also pretty troubling to our contemporary Earth sensibilities that Kliegg Lars bought her for a wife. Even if he did grant a nominal sort of manumission after the purchase? she's a penniless ex-slave on a desert planet who he dragged out onto an isolated farmstead. How free is she?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Detective No. 27 posted:

The "flat" dialogue works in context of the Prequels. For most of their lives, the Jedi were peacekeepers and the aristocrats were, well, rich rear end in a top hat aristocrats. I'd imagine for the most part, Padme's life was pretty stale outside of the events of Episode 1, and stale again until Kiera Knightly blew up. Outside of Anakin, I'm certain a lot of the main players of the Prequels were having pretty boring, routine lives before the events of the film's. And I'm certain even the Jedi were thinking life would go normal after they surely won this Clone War. They had a different lifestyle to that of the main players of the OT. I bet Sheev only even thought to orchestrate both sides into a war, kill the Jedi, bring down the Republic and become Emperor was because he was so bored.

Minor correction, but that's wasn't Kiera Knightly anymore. She was only in TPM. The double who blew up in AOTC was played by Verónica Segura.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Anakin is actually half Watto.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Steve2911 posted:

What did you mean by meme before you edited? I literally just suggested that different casting choices could've benefited the angle he was going for (if indeed he was going for anything).

‘Bad on purpose’ is a meme that people repeat despite the fact that the notion crumbles under the slightest scrutiny.

What you ‘suggested’ is that, if the acting is bad on purpose, then the filmmakers could have made it even more bad on purpose by casting bad actors on purpose.

In other words, the casting director cast good actors on purpose but, since the film is bad on purpose, the good on purpose casting led to bad not on purpose acting. This bad not on purpose acting compromised the bad-on-purposefulness of the film.

I took the word ‘meme’ out of my post because I do acknowledge the nonzero chance that you came up with this silliness purely on your own.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 5, 2018

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Yeah I mean that's normally how you'd take that line from that character but I think textually we're supposed to take away that yet, Anikan literally was "conceived by the Force."

Also pretty troubling to our contemporary Earth sensibilities that Kliegg Lars bought her for a wife. Even if he did grant a nominal sort of manumission after the purchase? she's a penniless ex-slave on a desert planet who he dragged out onto an isolated farmstead. How free is she?

She can be raped from her pov and him be conceived by the force from the Jedis pov at the same time I think.

And yes all sex with Lars was rape.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

i don't think you're supposed to look at the relationship between lars and shmi and go "yeah this is totally on the level"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

euphronius posted:

There's a pretty workable ~headcanon~ that she ran away and had the misfortune of running into tuskens. Lars does not come across as a super reliable narrator.

Serf posted:

i don't think you're supposed to look at the relationship between lars and shmi and go "yeah this is totally on the level"

Yeah the fact that her character is never allowed to comment so much as a word on it is pretty damning.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Anakin calls them out as "good people," but of course all such judgements, both Watsonian and Doylist, are subject to context and perspective. The removal of Shmi's anti-running-away bomb and her relocation to the moisture farm was the practical consequence of Clegg purchasing and emancipating her. C-3PO came with her, but, as a droid, remained a slave and was put to work as a farmhand.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

euphronius posted:

True, but only because all sex is rape.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I agree with SuperMechagodzilla about "bad on purpose" being nonsensical. I think Lucas had justifications for all the decisions he made with the Prequels. But i think its okay for people to see the Prequels, understand what Lucas was doing, and still not like them. I enjoy the Prequels, more or less, but i have some negative opinions about them. I still think the idea of trade disputes being the inciting incident of Episode 1 is kind of boring, even if Lucas was trying to express something with that. But my opinions are not facts.

I'm interested to hear what SuperMechagodzilla would consider to be a bad movie. What counts as a bad movie, SMG? Is it possible for a movie to be executed poorly?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Lucas is himself a good editor. It's the filmmaking technique he was always best at, like straight up using a moviola and cutting the film style editing. It's why he was friends with so many good editors and married an editor, probably

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Historically, rich aristocrats have tended to be more flamboyant, colorful characters, rather than flat, emotionless stoics. I mean, there's always been a mixture, but the stereotype you have in your head seems to come from the stereotype of British aristocracy, rather than the Continental kind.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

‘Bad on purpose’ is a meme that people repeat despite the fact that the notion crumbles under the slightest scrutiny.

What you ‘suggested’ is that, if the acting is bad on purpose, then the filmmakers could have made it even more bad on purpose by casting bad actors on purpose.

In other words, the casting director cast good actors on purpose but, since the film is bad on purpose, the good on purpose casting led to bad not on purpose acting. This bad not on purpose acting compromised the bad-on-purposefulness of the film.

I took the word ‘meme’ out of my post because I do acknowledge the nonzero chance that you came up with this silliness purely on your own.

Ok. George Lucas directed the actors to give performances that lacked emotion or range. I think it may have worked better if he cast actors who didn't already have established careers playing extremely emotive characters, as it felt, to the audience, unnatural to see these actors in these roles. And in my opinion the actors didn't appear to be comfortable with the performances that they were asked to give.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Blue Star posted:

I agree with SuperMechagodzilla about "bad on purpose" being nonsensical. I think Lucas had justifications for all the decisions he made with the Prequels. But i think its okay for people to see the Prequels, understand what Lucas was doing, and still not like them. I enjoy the Prequels, more or less, but i have some negative opinions about them. I still think the idea of trade disputes being the inciting incident of Episode 1 is kind of boring, even if Lucas was trying to express something with that. But my opinions are not facts.

I'm interested to hear what SuperMechagodzilla would consider to be a bad movie. What counts as a bad movie, SMG? Is it possible for a movie to be executed poorly?

Check out the BR2049 thread bud

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

Ok. George Lucas directed the actors to give performances that lacked emotion or range. I think it may have worked better if he cast actors who didn't already have established careers playing extremely emotive characters, as it felt, to the audience, unnatural to see these actors in these roles. And in my opinion the actors didn't appear to be comfortable with the performances that they were asked to give.

You're talking about Sammy J right

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The thing I never got about trade disputes being boring... Yeah sure that's boring in theory, but about thirty seconds into the movie after a brief discussion saying why they're there they get attacked by poison gas and go rampage through the ship like unstoppable slasher villains. The trade dispute is the setting, but it doesn't take a hell of a lot of runtime.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

You're talking about Sammy J right

Among others.

You could argue that Hayden Christensen gives a better performance (in this context) than the rest of the cast for this reason.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The thing I never got about trade disputes being boring... Yeah sure that's boring in theory, but about thirty seconds into the movie after a brief discussion saying why they're there they get attacked by poison gas and go rampage through the ship like unstoppable slasher villains. The trade dispute is the setting, but it doesn't take a hell of a lot of runtime.

It gets quite a few expository scenes on Naboo.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

The trade dispute embroils the characters in political intrigue, so the idea that once the Jedi are infringing on something that characters within the film view as "none of their business" means they have to die. It doesn't take up a lot of diegetic time for characters, but it absolutely is clear that there's a weight to the political situation. Qui Gon and Obi-Wan are not innocent observers, they're military/coercive agents, and the Trade Federation leaders recognize this.

A trade dispute isn't just politics to be debated, it's policy to be enforced and the attack is a way of conveying that tapestry. Other than that, you get the aforementioned talking heads, but no one's going to peacefully navigate the situation until Sidious/Palpatine begins his manipulations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Serious question: Did anyone ever encounter this much analysis on TPM anywhere on the internet before RLM did their review?

It's like now that RLM has extensively reviewed and nitpicked the PT it's almost become a goddamn meme unto itself for nerds of all shapes and smells to over analyze Star Wars.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think when people say it's "boring" what they mean is the stakes of a trade agreement being struck or not isn't as interesting as the stakes of whether the galaxy will be freed from tyranny or not.

Although the actual stakes of the trade agreement were whether Palpatine would get more power, which he always does

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Al Borland Corp. posted:

What I think people are trying to say is that Star Wars is "supposed" to be this archetypal Campbellian adventure story with beats and characters that are dreamlike in their ur- simplicity: "The Evil Empire," "the captured Princess," "the Desert," "the Old Wizard," "the Dark Cave Where You Fight The Symbol of Evil and Then Really It's You Yeah That Seems Kinda Philosophical," etc.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

Serious question: Did anyone ever encounter this much analysis on TPM anywhere on the internet before RLM did their review?

It's like now that RLM has extensively reviewed and nitpicked the PT it's almost become a goddamn meme unto itself for nerds of all shapes and smells to over analyze Star Wars.

I did, cause I was a fuckin nerd and looked for it. It was out there.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I bet Palps would be a pretty cool dude to hang out with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Al Borland Corp. posted:

True. I just would prefer something more "Star Wars-y". A while back i had an idea that instead of the Trade Federation, its Count Dooku who invades Naboo with a mercenary army. He's a Naboo noble (hence the title) and wants to usurp the throne, and the Republic cant do anything about it. But enough of my fanfics. You're right that there's nothing really wrong with the trade dispute idea; it was just kinda funny to see it in the opening crawl back when i first saw the movie. Like the Original Trilogy is all exciting and Flash Gordon-y adventure, and Episode 1 starts out with "Uh, some people sure are ticked off about these gosh-darn taxations of trade routes". But its not really a big deal, i guess. I just think we could have gotten the same effect with a different sort of set-up. I mean, the point is to show that the Old Republic is useless and beauracratic; you could have shown this with something that sounded more exciting in the opening crawl.