Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Willa Rogers posted:

Bong-hit:

The firm behind Wall Street’s “Fearless Girl” will pay a $5 million settlement for salary discrimination against women

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Willa Rogers posted:

Bong-hit:

The firm behind Wall Street’s “Fearless Girl” will pay a $5 million settlement for salary discrimination against women

lmao

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Willa Rogers posted:

Bong-hit:

Bong-water chug:

They'll recoup that loss in a week.

Serf
May 5, 2011

MizPiz posted:

Bong-water chug:

They'll recoup that loss in a week.

more like ten seconds

the statue is pretty vile

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Looking back at my tired-and-sick-addled posting earlier, y'all were right, and I was wrong.(1)(2)

___
(1) Except about basic human decency also being derisively dismissed as 'decorum'. I'm right about that.

(2) Now that's some fuckin' decorum.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

MizPiz posted:

It really isn't though. Her stance and expression make it seem like she's trying to gain the respect of the bull in the same way a hero tries to gain the respect of an "unbreakable" mount. She's doesn't want to kill capitalism, she wants to be in charge of it.

That's what the people who funded it say, but it's pretty convoluted, whereas the fundamental imagery is a girl stoically standing down a raging bull. Like, you have to pretty much already know the story of the backers to really read in that she's trying to "gain the respect" of the raging bull.

What I'm saying is the people who funded the statue are idiots because it doesn't at all convincingly convey the message they intended. The simplest reading of the symbolism is a girl defiantly facing off against the symbol of the markets/capitalism. Their intent is to say that women are going to beat sexism and become part of the bull or tame the bull or something, which is loving stupid since the whole idea of the bull is that it represents untrammeled prosperity--open markets just going crazy and generating wealth. Standing against the bull, taming the bull, or otherwise defying the bull makes no sense from a pro-Wall Street perspective. They essentially funded anti-capitalist or at least anti-Wall Street symbolism.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Vox Nihili posted:

That's what the people who funded it say, but it's pretty convoluted, whereas the fundamental imagery is a girl stoically standing down a raging bull. Like, you have to pretty much already know the story of the backers to really read in that she's trying to "gain the respect" of the raging bull.

What I'm saying is the people who funded the statue are idiots because it doesn't at all convincingly convey the message they intended. The simplest reading of the symbolism is a girl defiantly facing off against the symbol of the markets/capitalism. Their intent is to say that women are going to beat sexism and become part of the bull or tame the bull or something, which is loving stupid since the whole idea of the bull is that it represents untrammeled prosperity--open markets just going crazy and generating wealth. Standing against the bull, taming the bull, or otherwise defying the bull makes no sense from a pro-Wall Street perspective. They essentially funded anti-capitalist or at least anti-Wall Street symbolism.

Identity Politics.

Serf
May 5, 2011

the statue

is bad

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Willa Rogers posted:

Bong-hit:

:350: :hellyeah: :350:

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taintrunner posted:

lol if you can’t see the direct correlation between the continued brutal exploitation of the poor & people of color as a permanent and growing underclass and the “empowerment” of rich liberal white women to a status over them as they “lean in”

just like, lol.

This but unironically

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

the statue is only good when you put the wonder woman tiara on it

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
bong smash: the fearless girl statue will be condemned underwater in our lifetimes thanks to unrestrained capitalism burning up all the dinosaurs

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

WampaLord posted:

Shot:

Fearless Girl is a bronze sculpture by Kristen Visbal, commissioned by State Street Global Advisors via McCann New York, depicting a Latina girl facing the Charging Bull (or "Wall Street bull") statue

Chaser:

State Street Global Advisors (SSGA) is the investment management division of State Street Corporation and the world's third largest asset manager, with more than $2.8 trillion (USD)[1] in assets under management as of 31 December 2017.

that's the first time I'd heard the latina description, which of course I should have expected because they're the Downtrodden Immigrant

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's the Information Age, we all know what the stupid statue represents and nobody should be defending it or posing with it. Send those parents to the Alaska work camps at once.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Guillotine of the Author: the statue's meaning as an anticapitalist act of defiance has been reclaimed by the People from the bourgeois Wall Street friendly creators.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Wait, they really were trying to make it look like she was trying to gain the respect/ride/break/whatever the bull? I'd always thought she was supposed to be bravely standing up to it. I can't decide if this revelation makes it worse or better though.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Genuine symbolism!? In this day and age, in this year, in this country, localized entirely within wallstreet?

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Thoguh posted:

Wait, they really were trying to make it look like she was trying to gain the respect/ride/break/whatever the bull? I'd always thought she was supposed to be bravely standing up to it. I can't decide if this revelation makes it worse or better though.
The bull is the male dominated wall-street.
She'll be accidentally flung upward by the bull in it's financial throes and crash into the glass ceiling.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Food for thought: Imagine if Hillary was president and the DOW hit 25k

Now imagine the applied symbolism of that statue
Now imagine that Donald Trump was rigged to lose the general election
Now remember who paid for the statue, their bullshit reason, and that Hillary was set to win.

The statue is Hillary Clinton.
And she told the bull to cut it out

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

HER IS THIS BONG RIP

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Thoguh posted:

You've already put more thought into it than the financers did.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

they put thought into it its just that to them the idea that "wall street is bad" is unthinkable nonsense and makes as much sense as saying "the sky is green"

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

they put thought into it its just that to them the idea that "wall street is bad" is unthinkable nonsense and makes as much sense as saying "the sky is green"

The extent of their thinking was that a statue of a badass little girl near an iconic Wall Street landmark is good advertising for their woke investment brand.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://twitter.com/SportsRadioWIP/status/949012664394702848

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

white sauce posted:

"Clinton came along and had concrete ideas on how to solve the problems that Republicans had been alarming voters about for decades, like crime. When he proposed to put 100,000 police on the street, that was history. That helped to redefine the Democrats, but more important it helped to solve the problem. It’s always easy to forget here in Washington that what people look to politics for is answers to their problems. And that was the real key to Clinton’s success."

Lmao look it's the people that zegermans loves

Like 2 lines down he says he's against offering bad solutions to fake problems and I just immediately lost it. Crime was already going down at that point because of lead being taken out of gasoline, but in came Clinton to lock up millions of people so he couldn't be called Dukakis.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

loquacius posted:

Like, to keep the discussion Kasich-centric, imagine that Bizarro H.A. Goodman were to write an excited, breathless op-ed on HuffPo about how Kasich Could Still Win, and how all good Democrats should rejoice at the thought

I'd totally post "~~~DECORUM~~~" at that poo poo and I think it's 100% valid

https://i.imgur.com/wplSZuO.gifv

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Willa Rogers posted:

Bong-hit:

:toot:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Wouldn't want authoritarianism to become mainstream, unlike this totally sane attitude.

https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/752986705360195584

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neera cool with torture and preemptive warfare.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/pblest/status/949440951113707521

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/949468910792962050

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/laurenduca/status/949439824146022400

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

lol at "netizens" becoming a term in Western discourse

way to stand strong against Chinese hegemony

soon we'll be shrugging as people die in horrific industrial accidents // automobile incidents

*puts hand up to ear*

*listens, solemnly*

folks, I regret to inform you,

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

ill kick that loving statue's rear end i dont care if she a lil girl

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lmao this owns

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

netizens is very 2005